The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #51
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't blame them for redoing the origin. They legally had to. At the time.

That's why my venom was out for The Amazing Spider-Man. They chose to go (again) in that direction. The Man of Steel was a case of being forced to cover their asses.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #52
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
I don't blame them for redoing the origin. They legally had to. At the time.

That's why my venom was out for The Amazing Spider-Man. They chose to go (again) in that direction. The Man of Steel was a case of being forced to cover their asses.
Amazing Spider-Man should have gone the year one route. Show peter's experiences as Spidey his first year or so but not necessarily tell his origin(maybe a few flashbacks).

Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #53
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

To be honest redoing the origin was the best way to go, Superman had to be reintroduced to the world

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #54
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
To be honest redoing the origin was the best way to go, Superman had to be reintroduced to the world
Agreed. Last time an origin for Sup was told, it was in 1978. Sup needed to be reintroduced

Old 02-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #55
Wheels
The Guy

Bottom line is this. Man of Steel is a modern film that won't have one foot stuck in 1978. The true issue I have with Superman Returns is the uninteresting way it explored it's concept. Instead of Superman returning and showing the world that his ideals still have a place, Singer just focused on two characters who displayed no romantic chemistry.

I think I wouldn't have minded the Donner elements if I liked the story around them. Star Trek 2009 proves that you can pay homage to the past while engaging the audience.

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas
Old 02-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #56
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMan View Post
Bottom line is this. Man of Steel is a modern film that won't have one foot stuck in 1978. The true issue I have with Superman Returns is the uninteresting way it explored it's concept. Instead of Superman returning and showing the world that his ideals still have a place, Singer just focused on two characters who displayed no romantic chemistry.

I think I wouldn't have minded the Donner elements if I liked the story around them. Star Trek 2009 proves that you can pay homage to the past while engaging the audience.
That's spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
Agreed. Last time an origin for Sup was told, it was in 1978. Sup needed to be reintroduced

Old 02-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #57
Torrente
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
MOS looks, if anything, even more somber than SR. I hope this is not the case.

You have to remember that MOS is a reintroduction of the character, his journey to become superman, he HAS to go through good and bad moments and how can you not have somber elements with a character that comes from sad situations (his biological parents tragic death, maybe Pa Kent's death as well and the fact you're an actual alien from another planet)...whereas SR was supposedly an already stablished character.

I don't mind supes being confused and lost in MOS, I think it's obvious, he has to feel like that given his life but I know we'll have crazy action sequences, a badass superman ready to fight and a much better romance story IMO.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #58
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Just curious , what hints at a better romance story?

Old 02-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #59
fanboiii
disciple of truth

SR was somber for all the wrong reasons because it was all his fault. He left Earth after knocking up Lois.

MOS is somber because of conflicts he has to deal with which he will overcome.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #60
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Just curious , what hints at a better romance story?
How about the fact that when Superman grabs Lois hand in the trailer they showed more chemistry in one look and a simple touch than Routh and Bosworth did in the entirety of Superman Returns.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #61
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
How about the fact that when Superman grabs Lois hand in the trailer they showed more chemistry in one look and a simple touch than Routh and Bosworth did in the entirety of Superman Returns.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #62
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Such a ridiculous fanboy thing to say.

Adams is awesome and Cavill... will be fine. But a few seconds and its already "blown it out of the water?" Stop.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #63
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Quote:
So true.

Wonder Gal | Cav-El | Batfleck | #TrustSnyder
Old 02-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #64
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Such a ridiculous fanboy thing to say.
Ha ha why is it fanboy? As per usual you talk like you're better than everyone

You could clearly see the chemistry there in the trailer. In SRs Bosworth and Routh had zero chemistry.

Not to mention the fact that others agree with me.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #65
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
It's alllll good.

Anyway since we are on the topic of Returns, can we talk about how great the cape for mos is ? Returns's cape looked too rubbery.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #66
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Quote:

You could clearly see the chemistry there in the trailer. In SRs Bosworth and Routh had zero chemistry.

Not to mention the fact that others agree with me.
I'm willing to guess you're right, but still, you're comparing "chemistry" in a 5-second clip to another full movie.

Wait, am I defending SR?

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 02-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #67
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Because I don't make silly fanboy statements based on seconds worth of footage versus a two and a half hour movie? You're right. I don't.

indeed.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #68
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
It's alllll good.

Anyway since we are on the topic of Returns, can we talk about how great the cape for mos is ? Returns's cape looked too rubbery.
Yeah dry much like the 300 capes, it's weird the one in Returns looked like it weighed a ton. I have to say though the costume in Returns actually looks alright in the film.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #69
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

The Returns cape looked like a giant piece of leather.

The Man of Steel cape has a Roman Empire/Gladiator cloth look going for it. Pretty sweet.

Last edited by FilmNerdJamie; 02-18-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #70
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Because I don't make silly fanboy statements based on seconds worth of footage versus a two and a half hour movie? You're right. I don't.

indeed.
Why's it fanboy though when I could see their chemistry in the trailer. Stop talking like you're better than everyone as per usual. You can be a real jerk sometimes.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #71
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Quote:

indeed.
Come on, I love Superman Returns, but Boswell was one of the weakest aspects of the film, and she had zero chemistry with Routh. Zero.

Adams' Lois looks like she has chemistry with Cavill, plus she's a superb actress who I think can pull off the part. Yeah, that's making a conclusion based on a few seconds worth of footage... but that's what trailers are for, right? To make conclusions about what looks good about a film so that people can decide to go see it?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #72
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Uh-oh, the lack of MOS news has fanboys clashing lol.

Two nerds enter one nerd leaves!

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Old 02-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #73
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Why's it fanboy though when I could see their chemistry in the trailer. Stop talking like you're better than everyone as per usual. You can be a real jerk sometimes.
You can see chemistry based on seconds of footage with no dialogue? Stop.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #74
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Dont see why you cant compare a 5 sec clip with a 2 hour movie when it makes sense. May sound illogical, but it isnt. It's all about charisma.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #75
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Quote:
You can see chemistry based on seconds of footage with no dialogue? Stop.
You keep acting like this is ridiculous but I'm not sure why.

Closed Thread