The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #101
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
In part cause they're the only two guys who dont bring up STM/SR every waking moment just to bash it.
How dare you lump STM with SR!

Old 02-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #102
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
The last few pages remind me that showtime and jamie are the most logical guys on this board.

In part cause they're the only two guys who dont bring up STM/SR every waking moment just to bash it.
To this I have only a few things to say:

1. MOS is a new Superman movie. It will be obviously compared to what has come before, just like any reboot ever has. And its valid to make such comparisons.

2. I was pretty heavily involved in this discussion. And I love Superman Returns. I think I've praised the film on SHH more often than I've critiqued it. So just casting me as some hater who enjoys bashing the film at every opportunity is a quick way of straw manning one side without paying attention to any nuances in the discussion.

3. Showtime's most recent comment doesn't really reflect the course of the conversation at all. We weren't comparing MOS as a whole with SR as a whole. That's an over simplification of the comparison that was made.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #103
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
How dare you lump STM with SR!
Why not? Everyone else does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
To this I have only a few things to say:

1. MOS is a new Superman movie. It will be obviously compared to what has come before, just like any reboot ever has. And its valid to make such comparisons.

2. I was pretty heavily involved in this discussion. And I love Superman Returns. I think I've praised the film on SHH more often than I've critiqued it. So just casting me as some hater who enjoys bashing the film at every opportunity is a quick way of straw manning one side without paying attention to any nuances in the discussion.

3. Showtime's most recent comment doesn't really reflect the course of the conversation at all. We weren't comparing MOS as a whole with SR as a whole. That's an over simplification of the comparison that was made.
Sorry man, I'm not gonna pull out a magnifying glass to inspect the minutia of the 7 billionth time you guys have decided to bring up Superman Returns. Honestly, there may be some merit to what you're saying, but bringing up SR once again is just the continuation of what I feel is beating a dead horse.

I was here during the BB days, and I'm pretty sure we Batfans didnt constantly bring up B & R the way people bring up SR. I came here hoping for something new or at least an interesting convo, and there goes SR being brought up...again.

Last edited by The Batman; 02-18-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #104
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
The last few pages remind me that showtime and jamie are the most logical guys on this board.

Not seeing what bashing OR praising SR or STM has to do with logic...

It would be illogical to refrain from ever bringing them up. All interpretations get compared. STM, SR and MOS will be compared, just like Golden Age, Silver age and Post Crisis interpretations always are. And when you favour one over the other, it's not wrong to express that.

Yes, MOS is not out yet. But all people are discussing is their hopes, their feelings SO FAR, and the reasons why they have those feelings...

... and the majority of us are doing it in a completely logical way

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #105
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Sorry man, I'm not gonna pull out a magnifying glass to inspect the minutia of the 7 billionth time you guys have decided to bring up Superman Returns. Honestly, there may be some merit to what you're saying, but bringing up SR once again is just the continuation of what I feel is beating a dead horse.
"You guys?" I can't remember the last time before this that I ever compared these two films. Thanks for lumping me in with whoever you have problems with though.

I'm tired of anytime I make any critique or comparison of any kind on these boards someone jumps all over me. Sheesh.

And if you aren't going to "inspect" the conversation before making sweeping statements about everyone involved, maybe you should just... I dunno... not comment on the conversation at all? Your critiques of the convo had little to do with its actual content and you justify that with "well its just the same conversation it always is so I don't have to read it closely."

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.

Last edited by ThePhantasm; 02-18-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #106
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
"You guys?" I can't remember the last time before this that I ever compared these two films. Thanks for lumping me in with whoever you have problems with though.

I'm tired of anytime I make any critique or comparison of any kind on these boards someone jumps all over me. Sheesh.

And if you aren't going to "inspect" the conversation before making sweeping statements about everyone involved, maybe you should just... I dunno... not comment on the conversation at all? Your critiques of the convo had little to do with its actual content and you justify that with "well its just the same conversation it always is so I don't have to read it closely."

Welcome to any fan forum on the internet

Old 02-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #107
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I think there is alot of bitterness toward Superman Returns because some people waited 19 years for it. I didn't. I wasn't born yet. But there was a lot of built-up excitement which led to a huge disapointment to most.

I, myself, don't like Superman Returns but I have no problem with people that do.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #108
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
There are plenty of things we know of in MOS that we've never seen in a Superman film before:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
- Robot army
- Big spaceships in the sky (including the Phantom Zone being replaced by a spaceship called the 'Black Zone')
- Tornado
- Clark with a beard
- Clark having a human life in an alaskan fishing village
- Jor-el and Zod fight scene
- Suit without trunks
- The military fighting against Superman
- Black Perry White
- Young Clark first being told he is an alien
- Dr Hamilton
- The FOS as a spaceship rather than an ice castle that rises from a crystal
- ... and i'd say it's a pretty safe bet that JK doesn't die of just a natural random heart attack. It's bound to go down in a much bigger way.

No one is saying there are going to be absolutely no similarities whatsoever. But there are certainly a number of very different elements in play in this film than any previous film representation... and those are the things that make this a lot more exciting than SR for me.
Not everything on that list is guaranteed to be in the film.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #109
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
I think there is alot of bitterness toward Superman Returns because some people waited 19 years for it. I didn't. I wasn't born yet. But there was a lot of built-up excitement which led to a huge disapointment to most.

I, myself, don't like Superman Returns but I have no problem with people that do.
Agreed.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #110
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

So I was rewatching the MOS trailer just now, and I'm wondering... who all will know about Clark's powers? We hear in a voiceover someone telling the Kent's "my son was in the bus... he saw what Clark did." I wonder what effect that will have on the story? Will these people simply be silent out of gratitude for Clark rescuing them?

Old 02-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #111
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Not everything on that list is guaranteed to be in the film.
Which parts?

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 02-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #112
Dragon_316ca
Side-Kick

https://twitter.com/Poni_Boy/status/303644476516208641
Quote:
Hearing a good variety of reactions to Man of Steel. Lots of praise for Micheal Shannon & Russell Crowe. Action is plentiful.
On Cavill:
Quote:
Seems many found Cavill's performance lacking. CG was a bit overused but no complaints about the slow motion. And no Justice League tie-in.

Varying opinions. One said he was fine but "easily replaceable" another that he was painful to watch. Others said he did ok.

Matthew Modine: You can't really relate to Thor, for instance! I like the story, but I don't relate to him -- I can't use his hammer!

Last edited by Dragon_316ca; 02-18-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #113
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Which parts?
I dont know,
but it is an unreleased film.
Nobody here has seen a Final Cut .

Old 02-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #114
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Thanks for lumping me in with whoever you have problems with though.
You're quite welcome, buddy.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #115
Wheels
HR Supporter

Ouch. Those comments on Cavill don't exactly fill me with confidence.

Quote:
Because I'm a total mark and the first words I ever spoke when I came out of my mother's wound, was that one day, I was going to be the WCW Champion.
-- Vince Russo
Old 02-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #116
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_316ca View Post
Yikes, I do not want him to be another Bale, where the films are praised but the central performance is not.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #117
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Sounds like Cavill is going to give the decent to bad for some performance some of us expected.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #118
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
I dont know,
but it is an unreleased film.
Nobody here has seen a Final Cut .
No... but we've had information confirming everything on that list. Interviews, footage, pictures etc...

*\S/T*
Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #119
Torrente
Side-Kick

Since I was the one with the whole "romance" comment I do want to say I meant more in regards to
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
the kiss between supes and Lois in the comic con trailer, looks VERY passionate

Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #120
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Who is this Pietro guy?

He says it seems many found Cavill's performance lacking.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #121
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_316ca View Post
NO NO NO

Old 02-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #122
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Yikes, I do not want him to be another Bale, where the films are praised but the central performance is not.
At least in Bale's case, he was getting props for Batman Begins.

If this is to be believed, Both daddy and the villain are gonna steal the show.

This is an example of how SR overbashing on every level is silly before watching MOS. For all we know, Cavill could be on the same level as Routh, just in a (hopefully) more successful film.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #123
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

*\S/T*
Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #124
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

As long as the film's successful.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #125
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
‏@ConnorFilm @Poni_Boy Alright, and i read the cavill comments. Overall as a film, did most people in the screening enjoy it ?

@Poni_Boy @ConnorFilm From what I gather yes very much
Alright. That's good to know.

Closed Thread