The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #201
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
This may all very well be false or simply opinions of biased people or perhaps the script/role itself is such that no actor would be able to impress with a great performance because there IS NO great performance in it (think SR). Think about that before publicly executing Cavill without seeing a single scene of him from the film.
Its a good thing I'm not "publicly executing" anyone...hence the "potentially mediocre" part of the post you quoted.

Think about that before replying to my posts.

Last edited by The Batman; 02-18-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #202
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hello everyone...I'm a boy....and a fan of comics....so I am a fanboy.....ain't life grand.....

Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #203
STARMAN
Side-Kick

This twitter guy also said action is plentiful. If true that should make most people happy.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #204
Mike22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
Maybe they didn't like his hairstyle. That's what it has to be.
LOL, I told ya

Old 02-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #205
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

If I was stubborn about only accepting a perfect performance from Cavill,
I would be waiting forever .
He has The Look ,The Charisma, And I feel his Heroic Intent ,Meaning I dont get the sense that he is a lightweight.
I get the impression that he BELONGS in the Suit ,
That is enough for me .
We dont remember it now,But Christian Bale did have his share of early negative reactions and, that worked out fine.
I think that this will too.
At least in terms of the quality of the film and Cavills performance.

Last edited by Mysteryman; 02-18-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #206
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

I think with Bale people were expecting more somehow because they'd seen him in things like American Psycho. But like someone said earlier, a lot of the time the heroes performance is subtle/understated and ends up under-rated because there are those that seem to think good acting means showing extreme displays emotions or playing a wacky or evil character.

That's why it's so often the villain that everyone raves about being amazing. Like Bardem in Skyfall for example.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #207
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Honestly, it's kind of hard to believe that guy. Plus, isn't Poni Boy also the same S.H.H. user that spilled out so much B.S. spoilers regarding "The Avengers"?

And honestly, even though they're involved with the film, I don't think Michael Shannon and Amy would have gone as far as they did when praising Cavil's performance as superman if he was noticeably that bad in it.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #208
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's why it's so often the villain that everyone raves about being amazing. Like Bardem in Skyfall for example.
Both Craig and Dame Judi received praise for their performances too. And neither were loud or eccentric.

You know, thinking back on it, it was a amazing that in a film populated by Gene Hackman and Marlon Brando, this inexperienced upstart in Chris Reeve was able to give a genre defining performance. It's really a miracle.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #209
HighFivingMF
Welp.

I'm gonna wait to hear what HighFivingMF has to say.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #210
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
...And honestly, even though they're involved with the film, I don't think Michael Shannon and Amy would have gone as far as they did when praising Cavil's performance as superman if he was noticeably that bad in it.
The general consensus was that he was decent, not bad.

And Shannon doesn't seem like the type to exaggerate, so I'll give you that, but I could see Adams making Cavill out to be a little better than he is if they had developed a good relationship on set.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #211
Project862006
Banned User

i expect cavill to be as good as hemsworth who wasn't anything amazing or anything but was solid ,looked like his character and acted like the character

Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #212
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

I still think of Christopher Reeve as the closest thing to Superman walking out of the comic itself .

Old 02-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #213
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
I still think of Christopher Reeve as the closest thing to Superman walking out of the comic itself .
not look wise imo

Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #214
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
The general consensus was that he was decent, not bad.

And Shannon doesn't seem like the type to exaggerate, so I'll give you that, but I could see Adams making Cavill out to be a little better than he is if they had developed a good relationship on set.
Was actually watching this digital spy interview with Shannon earlier, and he's asked about Cavill. But because he'd only done one scene with him at the time, he basically said he couldnt comment.

I kind of respect that. He could have easily just said 'He's going to be amazing' or something, but he didn't. He said he was going to find out.

And then AFTER he actually worked with him and had a chance to form his own opinion, he's said in more recent interviews how good he thought he was.

Here's the interview anyway: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...ry-cavill.html

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #215
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
i expect cavill to be as good as hemsworth who wasn't anything amazing or anything but was solid ,looked like his character and acted like the character
Yeah, if we can get that level of performance, I'm fine with it.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #216
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

Whether 100 critics tell me Cavill is bad or good, i can use my own eyes to figure it out. That being said, the only good performance i have seen from him is in Tudors.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #217
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
not look wise imo
if he wasn't before his casting, he certainly was after artists accommodated the Supes on the page built on pencil and ink to look like him.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #218
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Was actually watching this digital spy interview with Shannon earlier, and he's asked about Cavill. But because he'd only done one scene with him at the time, he basically said he couldnt comment.
Yep, I watched that one recently myself. I honestly don't think Shannon is the type to lie or beat around the bush.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #219
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
not look wise imo
Yeah, Cavill's got him beat in that regard.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #220
STARMAN
Side-Kick

I always thought of Superman's performance relying more on charisma than acting. Now if they toned down this version of Superman and Cavill has to rely solely on acting ability then that's where he may be lacking.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #221
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

I won't let this news change my hope for Cavill I still think he'll be a great Superman, maybe even the best we've ever seen.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #222
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Keep in mind there are several factors.

One, this is coming from a guy who said a director wasn't interested in making a film adaptation, only to be debunked himself.

Two, Reeve did SUCH a great job at capturing the personality of the character, that a different performance (even one that captures who Superman has become) is going to be scrutinized based on preconceived notions about the titular character (ie. he should smile all the time and make wisecracks when fighting)

3. People ARE used to overacting as a standard. Thus a more subdued performance might come across as bland, because they expect something more in-your-face. I personally think Caine's Alfred is the best adapted character of the Nolan trilogy.

4. The character is more reserved (I'm not dissing Superman), so some might be bored of him, expecting someone who is either happy-go-lucky or intense.

I find Superman of the comics to be someone who has a calmness and patience about him, who only goes crazy when brainwashed or is REALLY ticked off. It would be sad if Cavill got the short end of the stick for capturing who the comic character is. If so, that's a strength, not a weakness.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #223
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Next week we may get tweets about how great Cavill is as Superman. We're probably going to be bouncing all over the place in the next few months.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #224
WoodyROM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
If it was the opposite reaction to Cavill, I guarantee there would be zero skepticism here.
I wish I could say that you were wrong and that I would view it the same way, but I wouldn't

Old 02-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #225
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Pitty about the comments, but I'm much more worried about stuff like faulty plot points, which every single comic book movie seems to be having these days. I'm terrified of moments like Bruce's unexplained reappearance in Gotham in TDKR, or Peter Parker's "Promises you can't keep are the best kind" line, or even, God forbid, knee-slappers like the crane sequence. The absence (so far) of complaints of that kind is a good omen in my book. Bad performances are easily bearable in cool films, like Revenge of the Sith or the Harry Potter movies. I've seen Cavill be okay more than enough times to think that if I hate this movie, it won't be because of him.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Closed Thread