The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #951
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Missed the games as I was driving from Edinburgh to London today ... Aka the return leg(long story, am knackered) and I missed the games, only saw the Arsenal score when I got home.

WTF must Wenger cock up to get fired? ANY other team and he'd be long gone SEASONS ago with his record of cups....

Old 02-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #952
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
If I have to choose between only those 2 then Moyes. He knows our game and has done well with limited resources at Everton. Pelligrini doesn't know our game and didn't do much to merit great interest in his season at Real.

Beyond those two, then I'd love Mourhinho back, or failing him I'd like to see them take a chance on Zola. Either of those 2 are loved by the fans (and rightly so).

Unfortunately predicting who Roman chooses is extremely difficult, if not impossible.

I would never have thought they'd have gone for Benitez for example. After the fans had let it be known very vocally what they thought of that idea, the decision to appoint him still bemuses me. It was like sticking the middle finger to the fans.

That he currently has the worst record of any Chelsea manager since Roman took over, and this includes Grant, Scholari, AVB, Ranieri, and the guy he replaced RDM, only serves to justify why he should never have been given the job.

But Roman obviously does not listen to the fans, so what we want, and what he gets, is anyone's guess.
I think the initial theory that Benitez was brought in to get the best out of Abramovich's 50M Torres investment and to hell with everything else, was pretty much close to the mark.

Moyes armed with Chelsea's resources could be a success I think, I've never been sold on him for United as Fergie's replacement but we haven't blown through a stack of options. In your case an English manager with a strong Prem track record may be a stabilizing choice, but that would depend on how long he was given.

I can understand wanting Zola but with his lack of top flight experience do you think he'd get any fairer treatment than RDM got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapi View Post
Sportmediaset in Italy is claiming Silva's relationship with Mancini has fallen apart post-Southampton game. Wow, this season is better and better. Kun could be next...
I wouldn't buy into that, the sharks are just smelling blood due to the 12 point gap, although it wouldn't surprise me if Mancini gets the old steel toed doctor martin to the anus this summer.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 02-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #953
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Trading places: Atletico Madrid open door to Radamel Falcao for Fernando Torres swap with Chelsea

Son worshippers: Manchester United and Chelsea both fancy Hamburg star Son Heung-Min

Next please! Vermaelen eyed to follow Fabregas and Song to Barcelona

Hair raid? Manchester City prepare two players plus cash bid for Everton's Marouane Fellaini

Arsenal's Nou keeper? Barcelona's Victor Valdes is a summer target for the Gunners

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 02-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #954
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Well they sure aren't making it easy for United to win the FA Cup. If they beat Reading they most likely will have to play Chelsea. That would make it 4 Premier League teams they've had to face West Ham, Fulham, Reading and Chelsea.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 02-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #955
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I think the initial theory that Benitez was brought in to get the best out of Abramovich's 50M Torres investment and to hell with everything else, was pretty much close to the mark.
Classic case of throwing good money after bad.

Quote:
Moyes armed with Chelsea's resources could be a success I think, I've never been sold on him for United as Fergie's replacement but we haven't blown through a stack of options. In your case an English manager with a strong Prem track record may be a stabilizing choice, but that would depend on how long he was given.
With Roman, probably not long enough.

Quote:
I can understand wanting Zola but with his lack of top flight experience do you think he'd get any fairer treatment than RDM got.
If he delivers the 'Barcelona in blue' that Roman desires so much, and I think he is one of the few who would both want to and could deliver that (he was able to get West Ham to play some decent football at times), then I figure even Roman would allow him some grace if no immediate trophies beckon.

And RDM, for whatever reason, was never Roman's choice. His reaction after we won the CL to RDM going up to him yelling "I won it!!" said it all.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #956
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

Someone wanna explain how Liuz got away with concussing the Brentford player yesterday? All my theories end up with Interpol....

Old 02-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #957
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

Manchester City's Roberto Mancini says he is 'best manager in England'

ummmm yeeeeah

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
Old 02-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #958
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

He's not.... One of the best... But not THE best...

Old 02-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #959
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

Do Welbeck's feet get confused inside the D or what? Anywhere else, his feet are great... in front goal... he looks like a dog in front of oncoming headlights!

Nani's having a brilliant game till now... what's gotten into him?

Batman- Ben Affleck, 41
Superman- Henry Cavill, 29
Wonder Woman- Gal Gadot, 28
The Flash- Jake Gyllenhaal, 31
Green Lantern- Ryan Reynolds, 36; Idris Elba, 40
and
Vandal Savage- Javier Bardem, 43
Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #960
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
He's not.... One of the best... But not THE best...
Don't have a clue where this has come from but I personally don't rate Mancini that highly as a manager.

Came into a job that had limitless transfer/wage funds with no need to balance books, spent the best part of 500m assembling a team that on paper should rival that of the best of the best in the world & yet he has 1 Premiership trophy which he barely managed to win on goal difference, 1 FA Cup & a Charity Shield to his record in 5 years. Has also failed to make it out of the group stages of the Champions League as well with said team in his 2 stints in the CL.

He'd be lucky to crack the top 5 at the moment.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #961
kit1982
Side-Kick

Regarding how "easy" the City job is everyone said the same about Chelsea when Mourinho was there, yet when he left they didn't win a title for another 3 years.

Appreciate you don't rate him B, but I do think you're being a tad harsh.

Last edited by kit1982; 02-19-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #962
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Good win last night, I thought Reading played well in the first half and made it hard while also posing a threat. We dominated the second half and scored two very good goals but you could see Fergie getting annoyed that we didn't push on and capitalize further, as Reading have shown a knack for comebacks recently and he was proven right as they scored and put us under pressure for the last 10 minutes.

Nani had a really good game so hopefully he gets a start against QPR, I also was pleased to see Vidic get 90 minutes under his belt and Hernandez continues to show his enthusiasm and goal threat with every minute he gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit1982 View Post
So his Serie A titles don't count then? Because he's been at City since '09. It's funny because if he'd won the PL this season his 3 year record would be similar to Mourinho's 3 at Chelsea. Yet one was hailed a genius and ones apparently lucky to crack the top 5.
Regarding how "easy" the City job is everyone said the same about Chelsea when Mourinho was there, yet when he left they didn't win a title for another 3 years.
I may be wrong here but weren't two of his Serie A titles a result of the Calcio scandal? Inter actually finished second in both those seasons.

Last edited by Hunter Rider; 02-19-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #963
kit1982
Side-Kick

I think he won 2 and 1 was due to the scandal, I wasn't 100% so edited my post.

I just think the guy get some unfair flack, he did a very good job at Lazio under financial restrictions and to say he'd be lucky to crack the top 5 is way off IMO.

Last edited by kit1982; 02-19-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #964
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Mourinho is rated that highly because when his team wins a competition you know that he was a big driving factor in that rather than coasting on the circumstances already in place at the club, getting lucky or the players doing all the work for him. If any random manager took a job at a big club in a non competitive league ag Barcelona or Bayern Munich manager they would probably have a fair chance of winning the league even if they never turned up for work.

Mancini is not a bad manager, probably even a good manager but when City win the league you don't think of him as a master as not all his decisions were correct leading up to the victory. Luck and the margin for error created by the unlimited funds played too much of a role in his 1st title. Also Mourinho has done it at Porto, even winning the European Cup without the big bucks.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #965
kit1982
Side-Kick

I'm not questioning Jose's record or reputation.... far from it, I have a picture of when I met him on my mantel piece in my living room!
I'm just responding to the Mancini stick, Mourinho gives off an aura about him but in reality how many matches did Chelsea win off his bold decisions? Playing Huth upfront for the last 20 mins against Liverpool in the Cl semi final? taking off Cole against Fulham after 20 mins? Surely you can argue that him simply having unlimited funds and a lack of real competition due to a United team in transition, not to mention the start of Arsenals downfall ultimately helped him win his first title? You also have to look that Chelsea finished 2nd the season before he came in whereas City were midtable under Leslie.

I just remember everyone slagging off Mourinho in his time at Chelsea, he was lucky, he had all the money, he couldn't beat Rafa Benitez etc. It all sounds too familiar and it wouldn't suprise me if City didn't win a title for a couple of years after Mancini left.

Last edited by kit1982; 02-19-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #966
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

Oh my dear Lord... it's gone all wrong for Arsenal!

Batman- Ben Affleck, 41
Superman- Henry Cavill, 29
Wonder Woman- Gal Gadot, 28
The Flash- Jake Gyllenhaal, 31
Green Lantern- Ryan Reynolds, 36; Idris Elba, 40
and
Vandal Savage- Javier Bardem, 43
Old 02-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #967
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
I'm not questioning Jose's record or reputation.... far from it, I have a picture of when I met him on my mantel piece in my living room!
I'm just responding to the Mancini stick, Mourinho gives off an aura about him but in reality how many matches did Chelsea win off his bold decisions? Playing Huth upfront for the last 20 mins against Liverpool in the Cl semi final? taking off Cole against Fulham after 20 mins? Surely you can argue that him simply having unlimited funds and a lack of real competition due to a United team in transition, not to mention the start of Arsenals downfall ultimately helped him win his first title? You also have to look that Chelsea finished 2nd the season before he came in whereas City were midtable under Leslie.

I just remember everyone slagging off Mourinho in his time at Chelsea, he was lucky, he had all the money, he couldn't beat Rafa Benitez etc. It all sounds too familiar and it wouldn't suprise me if City didn't win a title for a couple of years after Mancini left.
Yeah I know you're not mate. For discussion's sake though my view is that in match decisions don't really tell that much about how good a manager is. Half the time those good decisions are ones that should have been made before. Bringing on someone who scores is great but how do we know that guy might not have got a hattrick had he been on the whole game. It's all ifs & buts & I find it hard to award too much credit for that kind of thing.

Most of the manager's job takes place before the match has started & there you just know Mourinho is having a massive impact, so win or lose the result truly reflects on him. With many other managers they don't deserve that much credit when they win championships and in the same vein they don't really deserve all the blame for losing (apart from the fact that someone else could have done a better job) as they just aren't that influential in their team's results. Their players do the job for them.

On Mancini he doesn't deserve nearly as much stick as he gets but when you join a free money club like Chelsea, City, PSG etc stick is always going to come with it however well you do. Mancini was lucky for sure but despite that he did amazingly well to win that title.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #968
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNarcHy2day View Post
Oh my dear Lord... it's gone all wrong for Arsenal!
Bayern are too good for them. They're a different level of club who don't have to sell all their best players. Must be so frustrating to be an Arsenal fan. Especially as there's not much hint of anything changing in the near future.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #969
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I think Arsene walks away after this season. I think thats the best option for him. I think he deserves that instead of a public sacking.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 02-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #970
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I think he won 2 and 1 was due to the scandal, I wasn't 100% so edited my post.

I just think the guy get some unfair flack, he did a very good job at Lazio under financial restrictions and to say he'd be lucky to crack the top 5 is way off IMO.
I did a quick spot of Google-fu and you're right, one was awarded due to the the Calcio scandal but he won other 2 straight up.

I partly agree, I think he's better than some give him credit for, but top 5? I'm not so sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
I think Arsene walks away after this season. I think thats the best option for him. I think he deserves that instead of a public sacking.
Agreed, I watched the game against Bayern last night and I actually felt sorry for him, he looked so dejected and pensive. Bayern were the better team but in truth their 3rd goal was a fluke and really knocked the wind out of Arsenal who had come back well after being outplayed in the 1st half.

The big worry if I was an Arsenal fan is who will come in if Wenger goes? I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them appoint someone like Roberto Martinez.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #971
bapi
Side-Kick

Well, Mancini is egoistic, his man-management is poor, he doesn't learn from his own mistakes... And City had some meetings with Pellegrini's people... even this week. Soriano and Txiki want to use Barca-like system - every City team will play same style of football so when they'll change managers they won't need to replace 8, 10 players. Also they spent 200M on that new academy. I think Mancini is just "it's my way or the highway" so my opinion is Pellegrini or Laudrup will replace him this summer.

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 02-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #972
kit1982
Side-Kick

Christ cheers for having my back Bapi, last time I stick up for City!

I'd still say Mancini is in the top 5 in the country, apart from Wenger (who certainly isn't the shoe in he used to be) and obviously ole purple schnoz I can't really think of anyone better. Moyes has the constant comfort of being at a club with little expectation and no pressure, everytime the pressure has been on he's blown it. I like and rate Rafa alot but he has his flaws, I AVB but again there's questions to be asked. Harry Redknapps in the Moyes category... I mean I can't see 5 better gaffers in the league.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #973
bapi
Side-Kick

No, I agree. It's hard to find better managers in England. And I love AVB too.

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 02-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #974
kit1982
Side-Kick

Then I take it all back bapi! I'm interested to know mate, why do you think David Silva has struggled to replicate his form of last season? He seemed anonymous at the Euro's and just looks lost whenever I've seen him, at times this season it's seemed like if your fullbacks aren't creating something noone will.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #975
bapi
Side-Kick

It's really hard to say. I saw some numbers abd he created more goal-scoring chances than any other player in EPL this season. But he had no pre-season and did look tired. And Plisek (the guy who found Dzeko in Bosnia and spent few weeks in Manchester with him this season) said City players lost any confidence after that match at Bernabeu and they all feel this way. At least Dzeko did.

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Closed Thread