The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #151
Mr. Dent

Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show? - Part 1

I can't imagine it getting anything lower than Once, and that has really good production values.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #152
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...n-on-set-photo

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #153
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

^ Is that notice for visitors to the set?

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 02-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #154
Mr. Dent

So it actually just finished shooting today.

https://twitter.com/MoTancharoen/sta...04901311152128

Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #155
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

The more I think about it the more I'm really psyched to be getting a weekly installment of tales from the MCU (assuming it's picked up, which ABC would be fools not to).

Hope it kicks ass

Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #156
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

any idea when the pilot will air? (and where I can download it afterwards?)

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 02-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #157
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

If it gets picked up, sometime this fall. After that you can probably find it on several tv sites such as Tube Plus. I'm not sure where to download though.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #158
Mr. Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
any idea when the pilot will air? (and where I can download it afterwards?)
Any torrent site.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #159
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Joss talks SHIELD:
http://tvline.com/2013/02/18/shield-...on-maria-hill/

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 02-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #160
Mr. Dent

Yep, you definitely have to build your own characters before worrying about bringing in a bunch of comic characters.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #161
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

See, that's what I was afraid of. Making up a bunch of new characters and not paying tribute to the thousands upon thousands of existing characters they already have, famour or no.

Those comments from Joss definitely just lowered my expectations by a huge chunk. I'm now expecting a garden variety crime/spy drama that doesn't even seem to take place in a super-powered world, with no-name characters nobody has heard of.

Don't know what Marvel and Joss were thinking, but sounds like they missed the mark by a long shot.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #162
Chewy
REDACTED

Except that every time he's been asked about the show he describes it as normies trying to deal with living in a super-powered world.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #163
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

I much prefer Joss have a blank canvas to work on, rather than feel tied down to decades of material. This is the best way to go, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #164
Mr. Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
See, that's what I was afraid of. Making up a bunch of new characters and not paying tribute to the thousands upon thousands of existing characters they already have, famour or no.

Those comments from Joss definitely just lowered my expectations by a huge chunk. I'm now expecting a garden variety crime/spy drama that doesn't even seem to take place in a super-powered world, with no-name characters nobody has heard of.

Don't know what Marvel and Joss were thinking, but sounds like they missed the mark by a long shot.
A TV show will not work if the only thing you're relying on is classic Marvel characters fot hell of it. That's not how it works. Joss knows what he is doing. Obviously they will pay tribute to the Marvel universe, he said it right there in the interview, but what he is not going to do is make the entire show about existing Marvel stories and characters because it doesn't make for good TV nor is it needed for the show to be a critical success.

And also in the interview, he specifically said that it would NOT be your regular crime show. Read your context clues.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #165
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

^I think it makes for good TV, it's just too expensive.

It's pretty straightforward for me: if you like Coulson, you'll like SHIELD, as it's Coulson's show. Coulson has no powers, he is a completely original character who deals with superpowered shenanigans, including artifacts and potential superheroes, without actually being a superhero, or even a sidekick, and not directly confronting people who are trying to take over the world... well... except that one time, and that... didn't end well. The fact that he is backed up by a team of original characters only testifies we'll be getting more of the same from Coulson as opposed to a superhero-ized Coulson.

I think part of the premise of dealing with a world of superheroes is the fallout, y'know? All these weapons from the alien ship. People trapped in rubble from Hulk's rampages, or some crazy dude's experiments with stored Cosmic Cube energy. If you treat the MCU films like, I dunno, a previous Star Trek series, there's at *least* season's worth of stuff to build off of, and there'll be more as Phase II goes on. And there's enough coherence there to build things into that Universe that aren't really the films either people experimenting with Darkforce or a Inhumans plotline... all sorts of cool stuff.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 02-18-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #166
Mr. Dent

I do think they'll deal with some of the fallout from the films in certain episodes (maybe even the pilot) but I do not believe that it will be the focal point of the series. I see them handling their own stuff for the most part with maybe 2-3 episodes of movie fallout per season. That said, it would be pretty cool if we got a clean up crew episode like from the comics.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #167
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

^You mean Damage Control? Yeah, it'd be cool to see them begin in this series. In fact many facets of the Marvel U can begin to be explored in this series. They can expand on Hydra and AIM(since they've already been introduced in the films) as well as stuff like Roxxon Oil and the Maggia and maybe even the Power Broker. This series is the perfect place to set all these up in the audience's consciousness so they can possibly transition to being plot points in the films with more ease due to a bit more familiarity they would otherwise have if they just came straight from the comics.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #168
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Well stuff like Roxxon Oil is likely to go over the audiences' heads. They won't necessarily know it's an actual Marvel reference. It could just sound like any other name to them that could appear in any other show. They could easily show up in a show like Dallas.

I just hope that Whedon does use references like these though and not inventing brand new ones for the sake of it.

Accutech is another Marvel organisation which I believe appears usually in Iron Man.

And I hope for fictional places like the island of Boca Caliente in the Caribbean, where AIM had a secret base.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #169
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Everybody keeps talking about "Joss this and Joss that," and In Joss We Trust and all that, but people need to remember that this is not Joss' series. He is directing the pilot, but if it gets picked up, the show will be run by JED Whedon, Jeffrey Bell, and Mo Tancharoen.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #170
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Yes, no ****. He'll still be involved though. He's said as much.

His continued involvement with Marvel pretty much assures that he will have some say in this as well.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #171
Chewy
REDACTED

He only really ran the first couple of seasons of Buffy. He's almost always had others responsible for the day-to-day operations of his shows.

If he's the creator, exec producer and writer/director of the pilot it's his show as much as anyone's.

Last edited by Chewy; 02-18-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #172
Broseph44
Side-Kick

Quote:

Haven't even seen one bit of footage yet, and already complaining and judging. Unreal.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #173
Mr. Dent

Quote:
Everybody keeps talking about "Joss this and Joss that," and In Joss We Trust and all that, but people need to remember that this is not Joss' series. He is directing the pilot, but if it gets picked up, the show will be run by JED Whedon, Jeffrey Bell, and Mo Tancharoen.
This IS Joss' show. Everyone has said as much. Even though Jed and Maurissa will technically be running it for the first 2-3 seasons Joss will still be heavily involved as a writer and producer (the ABC pres said Joss has already started working on scripts for future episodes). So yes, for all intents and purposes it's his baby and will remain as such.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #174
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph44 View Post
Haven't even seen one bit of footage yet, and already complaining and judging. Unreal.
Then explain exactly what is "Marvel" about this "Marvel" show then, Einstein. With each new interview, Joss makes it clearer that he has no real intention of using characters from the MCU other than Coulson, nor characters from the comic books. It's a "SHIELD" show about SHIELD agents who've never been in the comics or movies, based around superheroes and/or villains who've never been in the comics or movies. So tell me again: what part of that is "Marvel?"

Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #175
Mr. Dent

He has not made that clear at all. What he has made clear is that he wants to make a show that can stand on its own while honoring the source material. Stop taking his statements and twisting them to fit your pessimistic view.

Closed Thread