Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #976
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

Default Re: Official UFC Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Venom View Post
At least Vitor wasn't coming in after a loss, he didn't get the fight based on a few words on Twitter.

Have you seen some of the shots Nelson has taken in his last 6 fights? A brutalizing by Werdum, knees from Mir, and uppercuts from Dos Santos.
Vitor would still get thrashed by Anderson.

Yeah, I've seen Nelson get beat up. And I'm a fan of Nelson's. If you can't get past Mir, who I'm also a fan of, you don't deserve a title shot. Don't just throw random heavyweights at the champ just because the champ has beaten the best already. Earn it. But I wouldn't be surprised if they do throw Nelson in there by the end of the year.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #977
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Let's say Nelson wins this next fight with Kongo, he's in a good position again. He should get a big fight with someone and he could work his way to a title shot.

If not, he could always work out his current UFC deal and go to Bellator and fight amongst the goofy heavyweights there and then lose a title fight to Josh Barnett.

- CM Punk
Old 02-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #978
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticOne
Vitor would still get thrashed by Anderson.

Yeah, I've seen Nelson get beat up. And I'm a fan of Nelson's. If you can't get past Mir, who I'm also a fan of, you don't deserve a title shot. Don't just throw random heavyweights at the champ just because the champ has beaten the best already. Earn it. But I wouldn't be surprised if they do throw Nelson in there by the end of the year.
There are no options really, aside Belfort. Weidman, maybe Lombard if he wins his next fight, and he's in for a fight with Okami. I could see them trying to fast track Le to a title shot. I also don't mind giving Belfort his rematch with Silva in Brazil and having Weidman face Lombard in a title eliminator.

Last edited by I'm Venom; 02-17-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #979
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

lost my ass betting on jds, then overeem, now mcdonald

dammmit

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
Old 02-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #980
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

Ouch! You picked McDonald?! When was the last time he fought? I think the kid is a future champ, but he had a layoff and that pretty much wipes away your momentum. I thought this would be a pretty easy match to pick, in Barao.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #981
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

His last fight was in April of last year. I think he did have hand surgery so that's partly why he had a long layoff.

Hopefully Cruz will be able to return soon and will fight Barao.

- CM Punk
Old 02-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #982
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

I went 8/12 in my picks.

Can't wait until next weekend. These UFC cards are just flying right at us.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #983
Project862006
Banned User

Condit vs Hendricks set for UFC 158 with McDonald injured
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...-carlos-condit

Old 02-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #984
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

If he knocks out Condit, he should get the next shot at GSP.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #985
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Hey if Diaz wins, then he should automatically get the shot . Diaz/Condit 2.

- CM Punk
Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #986
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

Interesting. Any time TRT is made public before a MacDonald fight, he gets injured. Hmm.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #987
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

You really think he's on TRT? He's 23 years old.

Also, he did random VADA testing for the Penn fight.

- CM Punk
Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #988
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
You really think he's on TRT? He's 23 years old.

Also, he did random VADA testing for the Penn fight.
He did? I thought it took him like a month to sign the papers. Nevermind then.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #989
Mace Bloodstone
Prospect

Wouldn't matter anyway, it's in Montreal.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #990
Project862006
Banned User

Nate Marquardt steps in for Hendricks to Take on Ellenberger at ufc 158
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...ger-at-ufc-158

Old 02-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #991
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

Ellenberger by decision.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #992
Dr. Manhatten
Side-Kick

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC...in-Total-50283

It looks like they're doing some house cleaning. And I'm sure Dana White was thrilled to hand Fitch his walking papers

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...a-feature-film
Old 02-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #993
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

I know people call Fitch boring, but releasing the guy after one loss is just stupid. He's a top fighter in his weight class, and it should be about keeping the best in addition to the money they bring in. I get the business aspect of things, but there still should be a sport aspect of things too. I'm not naive to believe that these guys are only out there fighting for pride and honor, but seeing the best under one roof is a major part of the appeal to the UFC to me. Fitch might be boring, but he's only lost 3 fights in his UFC career.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #994
Project862006
Banned User

but leonard garcia still has a job and 2 time failed drug test chris leben still has a job lol

yet they release john fitch lol

Old 02-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #995
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

That's because Leonard Garcia comes to fight. And Jon Fitch puts people to sleep. Sorry, but its true. He's a one dimensional fighter. 1-2-1 in his last four fights.

What happens when guys out-wrestle him? He's got nothing else in his toolbox. He's not dangerous standing up. He doesn't have a good submission game. He never evolved or showed anything that would be a threat to GSP in a rematch.

Fabricio Werdum was cut after one loss as well. Now he's back and in a much better place in the UFC than when he left.

Fitch can work his way back in and so can a lot of these guys. I think Fitch IMHO got very complacent and refused to evolve as a fighter. He turned people off from his fights and fighting style and then when he started losing it got him nowhere. Scant few cared about him anymore.

- CM Punk

Last edited by TheVileOne; 02-20-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #996
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I know people call Fitch boring, but releasing the guy after one loss is just stupid. He's a top fighter in his weight class, and it should be about keeping the best in addition to the money they bring in. I get the business aspect of things, but there still should be a sport aspect of things too. I'm not naive to believe that these guys are only out there fighting for pride and honor, but seeing the best under one roof is a major part of the appeal to the UFC to me. Fitch might be boring, but he's only lost 3 fights in his UFC career.
He wouldn't be the first fighter to be released after 1 lose & certainly won't be the last. Some fighters don't even get the chance to fight 3 times in the UFC to even incur Dana White's 3 lose 'rule'.

His form recently has been poor, a draw with BJ Penn, a 12 second KO lose to Hendricks & then was completely destroyed by Damien Maia. Sandwiched in between the Hendricks & Maia fight he had probably his only entertaining fight in the UFC against Erick Silva.. however it wasn't exactly an overwhelmingly dominant performance.

I believe I heard/read an interview where Dana talked about Fitch/GSP 2 during his 5 fight win streak & more or less said, how on earth do I market a rematch with GSP/Fitch. He had 5 wins, with no finishes & none of them are memorable.

It's been the same in boxing for years, sometimes the best fighters never actually make it beyond maybe 10 pro fights, you have to be able to put asses in seats, it would be different if MMA or boxing was a non-profit entity, meaning they don't need to worry about finances, but the reality is they do & unless you have something about you that fans want to see, what use are you? I mean how many times have you ever heard someone say "I can't wait to see the Jon Fitch fight tonight", his style is so boring, he has no personality, he just isn't an entertaining fighter & because he isn't winning anymore, cutting him was probably a pretty straight forward decision from Zuffa.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #997
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Load. Of. ****.

Fitch is one of the most successful welterweights the UFC has ever had. Call his style boring all you want but Jon's winning percentage is up there amongst the best. The fact is Dana White was seeking to cut him for whatever reason, and that loss to Maia was it. Destroyed? No. Maia didn't come close to submitting Fitch. Maia is a natural LHW and a world class grappler, so of course he was going to overpower Fitch but don't act as if it's 'karma'. Alves, GSP, Hendricks, etc are all natural LHWs. Fitch loses 10-15 lbs before a fight, GSP has to lose 25 lbs.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ĎBatman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #998
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.

You know... Dana White bashes Boxing on a daily basis but the sad reality is that The UFC could very well be as ridiculous as the sport of Boxing in a few years if he keeps this **** up. Seriously, you cut Fitch but keep Garcia? And here I thought The UFC wasn't interested in circus entertainment, huh?

Old 02-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #999
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

Wow. They cut Fitch?! Some of the names on that list surprised me. Does Fitch ever get back into the UFC? Would he even like to come back after being cut? Well, at least he can go win a title now. I know the UFC didn't like his attitude. Maybe this will be Fitch's wake up call to go and switch camps. But really, the UFC wanted to get rid of Fitch. Look at his last couple of match-ups. Hendricks. Erick Silva. Maia. I think they were looking to fast track his way out. Really bad cut for the UFC.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #1000
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Load. Of. ****.

Fitch is one of the most successful welterweights the UFC has ever had. Call his style boring all you want but Jon's winning percentage is up there amongst the best. The fact is Dana White was seeking to cut him for whatever reason, and that loss to Maia was it. Destroyed? No. Maia didn't come close to submitting Fitch. Maia is a natural LHW and a world class grappler, so of course he was going to overpower Fitch but don't act as if it's 'karma'. Alves, GSP, Hendricks, etc are all natural LHWs. Fitch loses 10-15 lbs before a fight, GSP has to lose 25 lbs.
Winning percentages don't mean everything, it's who you are beating & how you are beating them. The same to a degree with your loses, it's who beats you & how you were defeated.

But Fitch is supposedly a billed as a world class grappler as well & Maia pretty much gave him both a wrestling & BJJ lesson.

Maia isn't a natural LHW either, Maia always looked undersized at MW because most of the MW's are guys that walk around at 205lbs or so, when he fought Fitch at WW he looked as much a WW as Fitch did. Maia & Fitch are both WW's. They both could/have competed at MW, however both are undersized in that division.

Thiago Alves, GSP & Hendricks aren't natural LHW's either. GSP cuts from around 190lbs or so as does Hendricks I believe. Thiago Alves supposedly walks around between 190lbs - 200lbs, however has been known to rise to 210lbs when he had problems cutting weight.. however despite this, he isn't a natural LHW either. Middleweight maybe, but at MW he would be significantly undersized as most MW's are guys that were too small for the LHW division. By too small I mean in both height & weight.

Closed Thread