The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #276
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusPonens View Post
Which Superman do you like the most?

If he strikes you as "anything but Superman," why don't you call him Lex Luthor? Or Perry White? You have to agree that he looks, physically, similar to most depictions of Superman. If not, then I'm still waiting to some reason or physical feature that you think disqualifies him from being similar to Superman.
He's no Luthor though, because he's not bald or a redhead.

Sure, lots of guys are over 6 feet tall with square jaws, black hair and a muscular build. Take away the blue eyes and you could be describing me, except I'm taller.

My explanation is as detailed as it's gonna get. I don't see Superman when I see him and that's it.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #277
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
for me when it comes to comic book characters there is no universal look since so many artists have drawn him differently but 1 thing a comic book character has is universal features
I'm confused by your wording here. Are you saying comic book characters have no universal look but... they have a universal look?

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #278
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
And, like clockwork, some sort of "negative advance comments" leak onto the Internet a a handful of months in advance from a source that doesn't have the greatest track record, and suddenly everybody flips out. This is why posters like RealIronMan left the Hype!, you know.

As a veteran member of this great message board, let me offer one word of advice: chill. Don't write anything off. Don't cry. Don't start contradicting comments you made two months ago based on "early word." Just wait it out and see what happens.

Very wise buddy.

Too wise for these message boards.

Your words fall on deaf ears.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #279
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
He's no Luthor though, because he's not bald or a redhead.

Sure, lots of guys are over 6 feet tall with square jaws, black hair and a muscular build. Take away the blue eyes and you could be describing me, except I'm taller.

My explanation is as detailed as it's gonna get. I don't see Superman when I see him and that's it.
I understand that you don't see Superman when you see him. That's fine; you're allowed to have your own perceptions. However, not all perceptions are accurate and justified. I'm simply asking for some justification. You still haven't given any reason why he looks different from most versions of Superman, or some feature that disqualifies him.

You say that lots of guys look as similar to Superman as Cavill does, but I don't agree; you're definitely under-describing Cavill's similarity to past incarnations of Superman. Not as many members of the population look that similar. (Do you really think you, wearing blue contacts, would look as similar to Superman as Cavill does? I doubt it.) And even if your claim is true -- even if Cavill's similarity to Superman isn't rare among the population -- it doesn't have any bearing on the discussion; he would still look similar enough to play the part, especially once he dons the cape, boots, and S-shield. So, what features disqualify him from the role?

And you haven't answered my first question: Which of the past Supermen most embodies your idea of the "definitive" Superman?

Old 02-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #280
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I'm confused by your wording here. Are you saying comic book characters have no universal look but... they have a universal look?
no i said universal features like a square jaw,mature look,blue eyes ,black hair,etc.

look how all these superman have different looks but keep intact specific character features

Old 02-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #281
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusPonens View Post
I understand that you don't see Superman when you see him. That's fine; you're allowed to have your own perceptions. However, not all perceptions are accurate and justified. I'm simply asking for some justification. You still haven't given any reason why he looks different from most versions of Superman, or some feature that disqualifies him.

You say that lots of guys look as similar to Superman as Cavill does, but I don't agree; you're definitely under-describing Cavill's similarity to past incarnations of Superman. Not as many members of the population look that similar. (Do you really think you, wearing blue contacts, would look as similar to Superman as Cavill does? I doubt it.) And even if your claim is true -- even if Cavill's similarity to Superman isn't rare among the population -- it doesn't have any bearing on the discussion; he would still look similar enough to play the part, especially once he dons the cape, boots, and S-shield. So, what features disqualify him from the role?

And you haven't answered my first question: Which of the past Supermen most embodies your idea of the "definitive" Superman?
You're gonna be waiting a long time for me to explain why I don't see him as Superman because it's not forthcoming, I just don't see it and his name was the furthest from my mind when they were casting.

As for definitive Superman, there's really isn't one in comics. It comes down to favorite, Alex Ross'.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #282
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

From the NukeTheFridge facebook page:

Quote:
Apparently MAN OF STEEL was screened and early reactions are saying that "It's the best superhero film ever made."
Any idea where they're getting this?

Old 02-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #283
sup101
Side-Kick

I told you, I think it's gonna be epic, but expect nitpicking.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #284
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

My nephew's birthday is in late-June, hopefully MOS resonates with younger audiences. I've been meaning to give him a Superman toy, but I made a promise only to give it to him if he wanted it.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #285
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

The best superhero film made ?

Isn't that The Dark Knight tho ?

Old 02-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #286
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
My nephew's birthday is in late-June, hopefully MOS resonates with younger audiences. I've been meaning to give him a Superman toy, but I made a promise only to give it to him if he wanted it.
Well if there is a crap load of action, I'm sure the young generation will eat it up

Old 02-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #287
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup101 View Post
I told you, I think it's gonna be epic, but expect nitpicking.
Understatement of the year.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #288
fanboiii
disciple of truth

The best superhero film made but replaceable.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #289
craigdbfan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
From the NukeTheFridge facebook page:

Any idea where they're getting this?
That's high praise. Definitely in hyperbole land though. Don't get me wrong as I think MOS looks freaking great from what I've seen so I can only hope the praise is warranted.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 02-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #290
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Very wise buddy.

Too wise for these message boards.

Your words fall on deaf ears.
Thank you, thank you.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #291
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
You're gonna be waiting a long time for me to explain why I don't see him as Superman because it's not forthcoming, I just don't see it and his name was the furthest from my mind when they were casting.

As for definitive Superman, there's really isn't one in comics. It comes down to favorite, Alex Ross'.
And in your defense, Cavill doesn't look anything like Ross' Superman.

My personal definitive version of the character has always been John Byrne's Man of Steel. There's something about the way he draws him that's just so...Superman. Having said that, I understand (and see) Cavill's resemblance to other artists depictions of the character.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 02-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #292
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
That's high praise. Definitely in hyperbole land though. Don't get me wrong as I think MOS looks freaking great from what I've seen so I can only hope the praise is warranted.
It could be hyperbole. Or it could be one person's honest assessment. I don't think I've ever seen a comic book movie look as good in a trailer. Of course, trailers can be very deceiving.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #293
Project862006
Banned User

good tweets today both poni/NTF tweets have praised the film as a whole in a positive light

Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #294
mohoo
Side-Kick

Well, that Poni_Boy guy said that it's definitely going to be a crowd pleaser, and that the reactions he got bumped MoS to his top 10 most anticipated movies list.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #295
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

best comic book movie of all time may be a tad extreme, but im glad to hear positive responses.

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Old 02-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #296
sup101
Side-Kick

How can MOS not be in your top 10 most anticipated movies list from the start.What was he looking forward to?The long ranger, Jack the giant slayer.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #297
mohoo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup101 View Post
How can MOS not be in your top 10 most anticipated movies list from the start.What was he looking forward to?The long ranger, Jack the giant slayer.
I don't know, maybe he's not a fan. If so, then it's great that MoS made those people interested already.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #298
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
And in your defense, Cavill doesn't look anything like Ross' Superman.

My personal definitive version of the character has always been John Byrne's Man of Steel. There's something about the way he draws him that's just so...Superman. Having said that, I understand (and see) Cavill's resemblance to other artists depictions of the character.
My fav. Superman artist is Dan Jurgens. None of the live actions actors look exactly like him , Reeve, Routh and Cavill have some features like Jurgens' Superman but we are never going to find someone who looks exactly like that.

So, in general terms, Cavill does look like Superman.

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 02-19-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #299
Project862006
Banned User

jim lee for me

Old 02-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #300
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Look, about the whole Cavill's "performance" thing, if he does at least as well as Routh did I think he will do fine. Yeah, yeah, people say Routh wasn't that great...but honestly he wasn't the worst either, and everyone knows it, even the people that ***** and complain and say he was "terrible". He wasn't Chris Reeve but then again who could be? He was somewhere in the middle. I thought Routh did just fine with what he had to work with.

I personally think Cavill is an eloquent and intelligent man, and that he will do well, and I have no reason to believe otherwise. I think he will do at least as well as Routh did, and if he does just that then I'll be happy.

Still better than Hayden Christensen. Besides, it's a SUPERMAN movie. I don't need an actor who's so well known (or even not known) that his personality over powers the character. Let the character play himself. Cavill sounded great in the comic con trailer. Hope to see more of that in the next trailers released. I'm not saying "oh, we'll just settle for mediocrity with the Superman actor", I'm just saying hey, I don't think it's going to be "that bad". I don't think it can be. Maybe it's a glass half empty/half full type thing. Idk.

Anyway....Cavill FTW.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 02-19-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Closed Thread