The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #301
Project862006
Banned User

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

don't worry guys it is just superman

since you know

Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #302
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
Look, about the whole Cavill's "performance" thing, if he does at least as well as Routh did I think he will do fine. Yeah, yeah, people say Routh wasn't that great...but honestly he wasn't the worst either, and everyone knows it, even the people that ***** and complain and say he was "terrible". He wasn't Chris Reeve but then again who could be. He was somewhere in the middle. I thought Routh did just fine with what he had to work with.

I personally think Cavill is an eloquent and intelligent man, and that he will do well, and I have no reason to believe otherwise. I think he will do at least as well as Routh did, and if he does just that then I'll be happy.

Still better than Hayden Christensen. Besides, it's a SUPERMAN movie. I don't need an actor who's so well known (or even not known) that his personality over powers the character. Let the character play himself. Cavill sounded great in the comic con trailer. Hope to see more of that in the next trailers released. I'm not saying "oh, we'll just settle for mediocrity with the Superman actor", I'm just saying hey, I don't think it's going to be "that bad". I don't think it can be. Maybe it's a glass half empty/half full type thing. Idk.

Anyway....Cavill FTW.
Agreed.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #303
Octoberist
point blank

Just read Poni's tweets.

Regardless of what some may think of Cavill, i'm happy that 'Man of Steel' is getting positive buzz. My biggest fear would've been an utter failure. That being said, I'm not worried about Cavill. And if he is the weakest link, there's always room for improvement in the sequel. I also think it's a bit hard to write for Superman in general. To make a character noble and true but still interesting. I can only think of one iconic character that made those qualities work... (besides Chris Reeve as Supes of course): Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #304
Kevin Smith
Banned User

VERY thrilled about the action part of the tweets. And I have been looking forward to Michael Shannon...I think he'll be fantastic. Crowe too but especially Shannon for me. I think we got a winner here, boys.

Besides, I know Shannon will be good. There's always somewhat a degree of more "fun" in playing the bad guy. I just hope the film helps get Shannon's name out there more as he deserves a bigger place in hollywood, IMO.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:05 AM   #305
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
If it was the opposite reaction to Cavill, I guarantee there would be zero skepticism here.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:14 AM   #306
Vagosnati
Vag-El

Reeve was an uncnown too.and in the start of production was not looking like Supes,he was very thin.But he played perfect.I expect and i am sure the same,from Cavill.He looks like Superman for me,more than any other in the past.And from what we saw from the trailers,he will be great.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:15 AM   #307
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
That's high praise. Definitely in hyperbole land though. Don't get me wrong as I think MOS looks freaking great from what I've seen so I can only hope the praise is warranted.
It is almost like they've taken the Latino Review positive reaction buzz and just spinned it into that isn't it.

If on the off chance they do have an actual scoop here. I wouldn't be surprised it looks amazing, if anything I'm confident its going to be my favourite film of all-time.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-19-2013, 02:15 AM   #308
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I'm not too worried about Cavill's performance. For example Bale's performance in TDK is excellent and in my opinion underrated. If Shannon eats up the role let him. I love a good villain. And I love to see those action heavy comments.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
Old 02-19-2013, 02:19 AM   #309
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
I'm not too worried about Cavill's performance. For example Bale's performance in TDK is excellent and in my opinion underrated. If Shannon eats up the role let him. I love a good villain. And I love to see those action heavy comments.
Bale gave an incredibly understated performance in TDK. That's a big reason why many overlook him over the more vibrant work Heath Ledger did. Not underplaying either one of them as they both delivered big time for me.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 02-19-2013, 02:24 AM   #310
Octoberist
point blank

Yeah, and I think Bale did a better job in TDK than in TDKR but that's me.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 AM   #311
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
You're gonna be waiting a long time for me to explain why I don't see him as Superman because it's not forthcoming, I just don't see it and his name was the furthest from my mind when they were casting.

As for definitive Superman, there's really isn't one in comics. It comes down to favorite, Alex Ross'.
Okay. I understand that you don't see Cavill as Superman; you don't need to repeat yourself. But why? That's naturally the next question if we want to get to the root of your opinion. I'm simply curious about the reasons behind your opinion, since they aren't evident to me. The situation isn't very complicated: I think Cavill looks similar to past incarnations of Superman, while you believe he doesn't look similar. I've provided reasons why I think he looks similar to Superman (and I can name more), while you have yet to name reasons why you think he doesn't look similar to Superman.

I didn't expect it would be this hard to ask you for some reasons. If you don't want to provide any reasons (or if you don't have any reasons, which seems to be the case) that's fine, but remember: opinions are easy to form. Everyone has opinions (especially on internet forums!), but not everyone has justifications.

Anyway, Alex Ross' Superman is an awesome depiction; definitely different from Cavill, I agree. But Ross' Superman looks a lot different from Christopher Reeve, as well. I wonder: what do you think about Christopher Reeve's appearance? Does he look like Superman to you?

Old 02-19-2013, 02:33 AM   #312
Project862006
Banned User

^his favorite superman is drawn by alex ross who's superman looks about 45 no surprise he doesn't like henry

Old 02-19-2013, 02:38 AM   #313
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

This place...

Old 02-19-2013, 02:43 AM   #314
sf2
Side-Kick

“Easily replaceable” is a very harsh comment. And I doubt it simply because Cavill looks fine and I don’t think Snyder would accept passable performance from him.
Maybe the comment is on the superman costume and his hairdo which I still dislike. lol

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 02-19-2013, 03:18 AM   #315
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

To be fair some people thought Cavill was awful in Immortals and I thought he was fine in that don't see what's supposed to be so bad tbh

Old 02-19-2013, 03:23 AM   #316
Project862006
Banned User

same here also watchmen was bashed by critics and was said to be awful with a 65% on RT yet i love that movie

Old 02-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #317
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
To be fair some people thought Cavill was awful in Immortals and I thought he was fine in that don't see what's supposed to be so bad tbh
Heh, count me in as one of the people who thought he was terrible in Immortals. But I'm not sure if that means anything, 'cause I found everything in that movie to be terrible, so...

Old 02-19-2013, 03:31 AM   #318
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Watchmen was quality, I think most of its hate was fanboys crying about the ending and the fact that it was a long film.

Well I really liked Immortals really don't get the hate. I don't think Cavill was anything like terrible in the film watching it I believed he was Theseus and the anger when his Mother was killed etc. But each to their own.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:36 AM   #319
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I still like Watchmen overall. Had several shortcomings thematically, but it's one of the better CBMs out there, imo.

Immortals had kitsch aesthetics, a bored Rourke, a (once more) butchered Greek mythology, a Theseus in name only and it was, to me, 300 on coke, not in a good way. When Cavill started his speech right before the final fight I seriously considered stopping the movie.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #320
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

I thought Henry and Mickey gave the best performances in the film... The rest of the cast of Immortals where IMO terrible.

And yeah, the hate on Watchmen just proves that how much anyone else likes this film should have no effect on my enjoyment whatsoever. Watchmen is my fave film of all time... So far

Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #321
J.Howlett

The Ultimate Cut of Watchmen is, in my opinion, the second best comic book movie of all time.

Decades are going to be kind to Snyder's Watchmen.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #322
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Each to their own I loved Immortals didn't like 300 mind.

J Howlett what do u consider the greatest CBM of all time if Watchmen is 2nd?

Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 AM   #323
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Each to their own I loved Immortals didn't like 300 mind.

J Howlett what do u consider the greatest CBM of all time if Watchmen is 2nd?
The Dark Knight. Now, if we're talking films that are superhero related but aren't based on an actual comic book, it's Pixar's Incredibles.

By the way, with this film being so far down the line in post production to nearly being completed if not already completed, I still don't understand why WB hasn't taken April for itself.

July is usually WB's summer movie spot. They've given that to Pacific Rim. June tends to be a bad month for summer films that aren't animated pictures. Hell, Batman Begins didn't set the box office on fire when it was released in June. There's nothing going on in April that would even challenge Man of Steel. WB could have April all to itself if they released it then. With the 3D, it would almost be a guarantee that the film would hit 300 domestically in that slot.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #324
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I wouldn't put so much trust in Poni's words guys. That person as far as I recall, has a history of pulling out a lot of crap from his ass when it comes to giving so called "spoilers" and "insider info". I remember on how that guy gave so much BS during the wait for "The Avengers". I'm surprised that people even take that guy's word seriously at all still.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:57 AM   #325
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
The Dark Knight. Now, if we're talking films that are superhero related but aren't based on an actual comic book, it's Pixar's Incredibles.
Hell yes to both of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I wouldn't put so much trust in Poni's words guys. That person as far as I recall, has a history of pulling out a lot of crap from his ass when it comes to giving so called "spoilers" and "insider info". I remember on how that guy gave so much BS during the wait for "The Avengers". I'm surprised that people even take that guy's word seriously at all still.
People have mentioned this Avengers stuff a couple of times now. What did he say exactly?

Closed Thread