The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Walking Dead

Old 02-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #76
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

Default Re: Rick "Motherf***in" Grimes Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Who? View Post
Heh, I'm pretty sure they don't train you to how to deal with two rotting corpses surprising you in the middle of a gun fight by jumping you and tying to eat your face off.
That sounds very similar to dealing with meth addicts. So far, Tyreese and Glenn are the only people who have come to the realization that weapons aren't the last line of defense.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #77
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Predator View Post
It seems like Rick's training academy skipped the hand-to-hand training. His reaction when that walker grabbed him last night: "UHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

The second walker comes along, and his reaction: "AHHHHHHHH!!".
He's fared himself pretty well against walkers in the past, and was killing a few of them from the impact of the revolver in the last episode. He was also pinned against the the gate.I'd choke this up to him not physically and mentally breaking down. I mean, Herschel has stated that Rick hasn't gotten sleep since Lori died, he's most likely not eating or really keeping himself all that hydrated as well. His body is bound to get weaker.

On top of all this, as he was trying to escape from that group of walkers, Martinez made sure to keep Rick back, so he had to retreat right into that same group.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #78
Monsieur Xavier
Guild Steersman

Rick is a BMF sure but I am not very fond of his breakdown/hallucination moments, I don't like very much this part about the character but I guess it will pan out later ( note : I don't read the comic ).

Pan out = fall into place right ?

Monsieur Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #79
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Xavier View Post
Rick is a BMF sure but I am not very fond of his breakdown/hallucination moments, I don't like very much this part about the character but I guess it will pan out later ( note : I don't read the comic ).

What haven't you liked about his breakdown?

Old 02-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #80
Monsieur Xavier
Guild Steersman

The phone talk, the ghost wife, him sweeting and hallucinating like someone on an acid bad trip when Hershel eyes were begging him to get hold of himself. He is the leader after all, his people can't rely on a mad man.
The ghost wife is the "worst" part but maybe because I don't understand the reason yet/

Monsieur Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #81
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

Quote:

Honestly, it never got this ba din the comic. It was really kept to the phone and in private, except Carl eventually found out.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #82
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dmg View Post
He's fared himself pretty well against walkers in the past, and was killing a few of them from the impact of the revolver in the last episode. He was also pinned against the the gate.I'd choke this up to him not physically and mentally breaking down. I mean, Herschel has stated that Rick hasn't gotten sleep since Lori died, he's most likely not eating or really keeping himself all that hydrated as well. His body is bound to get weaker.

He's a cop, so it stands to reason that he would also have some type of unarmed training. Your point about lack of proper nutrition and poor sleep is valid; I'm sure the entire group feels run down and weakened to various degrees. Yet it doesn't make sense to me that he freaked out against the gate instead of some police academy-honed sense of preservation taking over.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #83
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
The phone talk, the ghost wife, him sweeting and hallucinating like someone on an acid bad trip when Hershel eyes were begging him to get hold of himself. He is the leader after all, his people can't rely on a mad man.
That's one of the things I find really interesting about Rick. He's the leader of the group, but he's not a robot. A lot of the choices he's made has put so much weight on him that it's bound to fall at some point.
Quote:
The ghost wife is the "worst" part but maybe because I don't understand the reason yet/
He can't let her go. Their relationship was strained severely, and he wasn't able to make things right before she died. Both his children have no mother, and from what I gather, he thought of her as his rock.
Quote:
He's a cop, so it stands to reason that he would also have some type of unarmed training. Your point about lack of proper nutrition and poor sleep is valid; I'm sure the entire group feels run down and weakened to various degrees.
Like I said before, if you look at past episodes, he's done pretty well with fending off walkers and killing them quickly with only his knife.
Quote:
Yet it doesn't make sense to me that he freaked out against the gate instead of some police academy-honed sense of preservation taking over.
Not only did he have to watch out for walkers, but for people trying to shoot at him. It's happened to soldiers in wars, so this happening shouldn't be so shocking.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #84
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

The problem with Rick breaking down and seeing people that aren't there, having imaginary love making and long phone calls, and all that, is how he's handled as a character going forward.

Did that firefight really snap him out of it? Is that how mental illness works, and that's how I define his behavior. It doesn't strike me as symptoms that are fixed with a good night's slumber. I believe the firefight was a temporary fix because he's shell shocked and combat is now the norm for him.

If this is going to be permanent part of his character, dealing with his demons, that's cool. I just don't want them to be like, "I talked with imaginary Lori and settled my business with her. I'm at peace" and Rick's suddenly cured. That'd be bulls***

Old 02-24-2013, 04:47 AM   #85
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
The problem with Rick breaking down and seeing people that aren't there, having imaginary love making and long phone calls, and all that, is how he's handled as a character going forward.

Did that firefight really snap him out of it? Is that how mental illness works, and that's how I define his behavior. It doesn't strike me as symptoms that are fixed with a good night's slumber. , "I talked with imaginary Lori and settled my business with her. I'm at peace" and Rick's suddenly cured. That'd be bulls***
Nope, a schizophrenic break is almost always followed by hospitalization(s), years of counseling, and a new medication regiment. However, Rick does seem to have some insight into his illness. He understands that his voices and images/hallucinations aren't real, they stem from an overstressed mind.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:39 AM   #86
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

I thought schizophrenic people just heard voices. They don't see people who aren't there, do they? And can you really develop schizophrenia just from stress? Isn't it caused by genetics or at least an extreme mind-altering substance like an acid overdose? The whole storyline seems very suspect. It seems like one of those old, dumb comicbook/soap-opera tropes that never actually happen to people in real life. Maybe someone with some knowledge can shed some light on how this works.

JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:11 AM   #87
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
I thought schizophrenic people just heard voices. They don't see people who aren't there, do they? And can you really develop schizophrenia just from stress? Isn't it caused by genetics or at least an extreme mind-altering substance like an acid overdose? The whole storyline seems very suspect. It seems like one of those old, dumb comicbook/soap-opera tropes that never actually happen to people in real life. Maybe someone with some knowledge can shed some light on how this works.
People with schizophrenia can have auditory, visual, tactile, and olfactory hallucinations--or a combination thereof. And while you are correct in the link to drugs/alcohol and heredity, sometimes people have a psychotic break with no prior family history at all.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #88
johnrain
Side-Kick

Does anyone think Rick sent Tyrese into Woodbury as a double agent?

johnrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #89
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

That would be delightful, but I'm doubtful. He's not in remotely the right state of mind for that, but then again, we never saw them leave... it's conceivable that Rick/Hershel/etc. could've caught up to them in time and hashed things out.

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #90
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

I'll say it again: Rick can't fight without a weapon. Morgan, an average joe, was handing Rick his butt until Rick was able to grab his gun. I could buy Rick getting overpowered so easily by a much larger man, but policemen are taught trapping/grappling skills for situations like Morgan's attack when he awoke.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #91
Donut
Side-Kick

I guess its possible that Rick held back because it was Morgan ? Also Rick is heading into insane territory. So he might not be all together yet

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #92
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I think seeing what happened to Morgan is what might snap Rick out of his own crazy stuff and things.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #93
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

THAAAAANGS!!!

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #94
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Old 03-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #95
DeGenerate10
Br Ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
That would be delightful, but I'm doubtful. He's not in remotely the right state of mind for that, but then again, we never saw them leave... it's conceivable that Rick/Hershel/etc. could've caught up to them in time and hashed things out.
Glen did run after them when they left I believe. So it makes sense

Old 03-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #96
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
I'll say it again: Rick can't fight without a weapon. Morgan, an average joe, was handing Rick his butt until Rick was able to grab his gun. I could buy Rick getting overpowered so easily by a much larger man, but policemen are taught trapping/grappling skills for situations like Morgan's attack when he awoke.
I mean, you can argue this as many times as you want but dude is in a debilitated mental state. Probably hasn't eaten or slept well in forever. Plus, he was a small town cop. He said so as much in this latest episode. I mean, not every cop receives John McClane NYPD level training. Cops get overpowered by criminals on a daily basis. I know this is a tv show and you expect them to be bad asses and whatnot but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #97
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

We need Rick to blow up a walker and walk away without looking. That will make him a badass.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #98
Donut
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
We need Rick to blow up a walker and walk away without looking. That will make him a badass.
We need to Rick to morph into a Power Rangers with huge ****ing explosions behind him & fighting an army of walkers. With more huge ****ing explosions around him

Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #99
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

What color will he be? Because the color of the explosion must correlate to whatever color ranger he is.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #100
Donut
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
What color will he be? Because the color of the explosion must correlate to whatever color ranger he is.
All of them. The colors switches as he morphs & fight