The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Future Batman Movies

Old 02-19-2013, 02:22 AM   #26
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

Default Re: The ‘Batman’ Casting Thread

old casting choices, but i'd really love to see paul bettany, tim roth or vincent cassel as the joker :

hellblazer103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:08 AM   #27
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Usually I understand why people suggest Elba in various roles (like Bond) but I don't really see him as Batman / Bruce Wayne. It is pretty tedious when Elba gets suggested for every role ever with seemingly little thought put into it.

Little thought into it?

- Great actor
- Excellent physique for the role
- A star but not someone who's too famous
- Can do the voice without going over the top.

I don't believe you properly thought out your response before you typed the above.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:08 AM   #28
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

oooh, I like that Paul Bettany look. With the shaved eyebrows

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #29
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
Little thought into it?

- Great actor
- Excellent physique for the role
- A star but not someone who's too famous
- Can do the voice without going over the top.

I don't believe you properly thought out your response before you typed the above.
He'll be too old by the time the franchise starts anyway.

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #30
DCMarvelNews
Newbie First Class

I may get laughed at for this, but I wouldn't be against Joshua Jackson as Bruce Wayne. But, that's just me.

DCMarvelNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #31
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMarvelNews View Post
I may get laughed at for this, but I wouldn't be against Joshua Jackson as Bruce Wayne. But, that's just me.
He's got the acting chops; its just a matter of if he can project the right demeanor.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #32
hafizbat
Side-Kick

I mean no offense in any way, but how would Elba play Bruce Wayne? Isn't it a requirement for him to be white? I agree, he would make an awesome Batman, I just don't see how it would work out. However, he could make the perfect Black Panther, who is pretty similar to Batman in his demeanor.

hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #33
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
I mean no offense in any way, but how would Elba play Bruce Wayne? Isn't it a requirement for him to be white? I agree, he would make an awesome Batman, I just don't see how it would work out. However, he could make the perfect Black Panther, who is pretty similar to Batman in his demeanor.
Nick Fury's black in the movies/ ultimate comics.

Why can't Bruce Wayne be black?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #34
hellblazer103
Nasty Piece of Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post

i actually think denzel washington would make a good black batman if they ever went the nick fury route.

hellblazer103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #35
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post

Maybe because that's the way hes been portrayed in literally every appearance of Batman in comics and other media...? Why change his race for the hell of it? So pointless when there are tons of white actors that look the part and would knock the role out of the park.

The Nick Fury comparison doesnt make sense. Nick Fury is black in the Ultimate Universe, so the Avengers film is based on the comics. Batman isn't ever black, it would go against every incarnation of Batman...and for nothing. Idris Elba as Batman is not a good idea. wtf

Rorschach2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #36
Frodo
Side-Kick

Joker: Javier Bardem
Riddler: Johnny Lee Miller
Hugo Strange : Ben Kingsley
Penguin/Oswald Cobblepot: Edward Hermann
Catwoman/ Selina Kyle: Lyndsy Fonseca

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #37
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Maybe because that's the way hes been portrayed in literally every appearance of Batman in comics and other media...? Why change his race for the hell of it? So pointless when there are tons of white actors that look the part and would knock the role out of the park.

The Nick Fury comparison doesnt make sense. Nick Fury is black in the Ultimate Universe, so the Avengers film is based on the comics. Batman isn't ever black, it would go against every incarnation of Batman...and for nothing. Idris Elba as Batman is not a good idea. wtf
But black Nick Fury in the Ultimate universe goes against every incarnation of Nick Fury prior....

The ultimate universe is not canon to the 616 universe, the same way the films aren't canon to DC's Earth-0 universe.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #38
Rorschach2012
$

I personally like for superheroes in film to look like the comics. That's a lot of the appeal for me. It's obviously not for you, maybe you don't read the comics, but I enjoy it when characters on film look like their comic book counterparts. When they don't, the casting director isn't doing their job right. Unless the actor is the absolute best fit for the role.. which I don't think Elba is.

Last edited by Rorschach2012; 02-19-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #39
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I guess the difference is is that when they debuted Black Nick Fury, they still white Nick Fury. Black Nick Fury didn't replace white Nick Fury in the regular continuity.

we don't have multiple Batman movie franchises going on at the same time to give viewers the option.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #40
Rorschach2012
$

The Batman

Bruce Wayne

Alfred Pennyworth

Dick Grayson

Jim Gordon

Barbara Gordon

Mr. Freeze

Hugo Strange

Harvey Dent

Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #41
DeFett
Custom User Title

I've only got 3 for now

Guy Pearce - Gordon

Joaquin Phoenix - Riddler

Philip Seymour Hoffman - Penguin

DeFett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #42
metaphysician
Side-Kick

There is a much, much simpler explanation for why Elba would be a bad pick: because a black Batman means a black Bruce Wayne. Which is, itself, not a problem. . . except that the Waynes have been the Princes of Gotham for generations. It stretches credibility well past the breaking point to have a black family as the pinnacle of society in mid 1800s faux-New York/Chicago.

Which is no disrespect for Idris Elba, he's one of those actors where if he wants to play a role, unless the ethnicity would literally be unworkable, rewrite the race of the character to fit the actor. Batman just isn't one of those where you can really do that.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #43
GreenKToo
In the fire

Its hard to say...its most likely at least 4 years down the road so the actor that gets it may well be in T.V. commercials at this point, or, not even acting at all.

But, if I had to pick a few for today, it would be jon hamm, gosling, and tom ( gasp ) hardy. never really saw his face, except for a second.
I think he would be awesome and own the role..

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #44
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
There is a much, much simpler explanation for why Elba would be a bad pick: because a black Batman means a black Bruce Wayne. Which is, itself, not a problem. . . except that the Waynes have been the Princes of Gotham for generations. It stretches credibility well past the breaking point to have a black family as the pinnacle of society in mid 1800s faux-New York/Chicago.

Which is no disrespect for Idris Elba, he's one of those actors where if he wants to play a role, unless the ethnicity would literally be unworkable, rewrite the race of the character to fit the actor. Batman just isn't one of those where you can really do that.
I think a black Bruce Wayne could work for a re-imagined version of the character. In that sense , its not unworkable. All the stuff from the 1800's wouldn't have to be incorporated into a film because it would be its own version, not Nolan's or a comic book so the generational arguement isn't enough to make the concept in unworkable.

There are rich black families , and for all we know they could be new money instead of old money, just for the sake of arguement. Even if it wasn't you would have to bring it up because that's stuff that basically only die hard fans really know or care about anyway, and the GA isn't gonna ask questions about the Wayne family tree.

As for Elba as Batman in a re-imagined version of the character, I'm not so sure.

Now whether it should be done is in the eye of the beholder .

Old 02-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #45
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

Am just going to come out and say it...

I don't want Batman to be black. I'm not racist, I'm just a simple-minded purist in that regard.

Like I would hate if a white actor played Blade.

I want to find actors who look the part and can perform the part.
There are actors out there who fit both those criteria's.

Was I miffed about Joker being painted? A bit.
Was I miffed Lois Lane was ginger? A bit.

But I found excuses why it's OK.
Joker could have been painted white for all everybody knew in his first appearance, because it wasn't until later it showed he fell into chemicals.
And Lois WAS a red head back in the day.

Perry White being black?
Didn't bother me, because I knew his introduction into comics was via radio, so he could have been any race or whatever.

But those characters have never had a definite iconic look, not for people to really care.

But characters, Batman and Superman are white, they have features that are memorable. They are iconic in every regard. So therefore, some of us, not all of us want to see actors who look like or close to the comics.

And I believe Batman should be played by a white actor, just I believe Blade should be played by a black actor. Because that is an iconic character with an iconic look.

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #46
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Am just going to come out and say it...

I don't want Batman to be black. I'm not racist, I'm just a simple-minded purist in that regard.

Like I would hate if a white actor played Blade.

I want to find actors who look the part and can perform the part.
There are actors out there who fit both those criteria's.

Was I miffed about Joker being painted? A bit.
Was I miffed Lois Lane was ginger? A bit.

But I found excuses why it's OK.
Joker could have been painted white for all everybody knew in his first appearance, because it wasn't until later it showed he fell into chemicals.
And Lois WAS a red head back in the day.

Perry White being black?
Didn't bother me, because I knew his introduction into comics was via radio, so he could have been any race or whatever.

But those characters have never had a definite iconic look, not for people to really care.

But characters, Batman and Superman are white, they have features that are memorable. They are iconic in every regard. So therefore, some of us, not all of us want to see actors who look like or close to the comics.

And I believe Batman should be played by a white actor, just I believe Blade should be played by a black actor. Because that is an iconic character with an iconic look.
While I would be open to seeing a different take on the characters , including race , I can understand those who would want to maintain the establish general look of certain characters. You're arguement is actually the arguement I've been waiting to see on ths board ,because its the strongest position and makes the most sense imo.

The other arguements i've seen for not having Fishburne as Perry or a woman as Jimmy for example, usually fall apart often imo because they're based on weak foundations and overly complicated explanations.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #47
Coffee
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
While I would be open to seeing a different take on the characters , including race , I can understand those who would want to maintain the establish general look of certain characters. You're arguement is actually the arguement I've been waiting to see on ths board ,because its the strongest position and makes the most sense imo.

The other arguements i've seen for not having Fishburne as Perry or a woman as Jimmy for example, usually fall apart often imo because they're based on weak foundations and overly complicated explanations.
Does anyone remember if there was any fallout or comments about Billy Dee Williams being Harvey Dent in Batman 89?

I never really hear anything about it, but it's interesting because it would seem like people would have been up in arms about it.

Also (although that version never made it to the screen) Marlon Wayons was actually cast as Robin before Joel took over for Burton.....

Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #48
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
Does anyone remember if there was any fallout or comments about Billy Dee Williams being Harvey Dent in Batman 89?

I never really hear anything about it, but it's interesting because it would seem like people would have been up in arms about it.

Also (although that version never made it to the screen) Marlon Wayons was actually cast as Robin before Joel took over for Burton.....
There may have been fans who didn't like it , but then again , most of the outrage at the time was at Keaton getting the role. Plus, Dent wasn't a well known character to the mainstream public in 1989 and Billy Dee was a popular actor. To tell you the truth , I doubt the GA would have been up in arms about it.

For one , you didn't have the internet then so fans couldn't moan or mobilize over something that obscure in those days. The Keaton thing caused heat because it was such a major casting story.

Alot of the outrage toward casting choices among fans today is fuelled by the ability of fans, websites, bloggers, pundits, etc to speculate and react to certain choices of the production online via messageboards, twitter and everything else. You didn't have that in 1989. You had letter writing and probably fans who all read comics, or magazines, or where at comic book shops who would probably talk about it or moan about it but other than that no one else woulda given a damn back in 89.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #49
Doctor Who
KIDNEYS!!!

Let's start with some villains!!! Okay gang, here's what I've ALWAYS had in mind. With long thoughts and consideration, I feel these would be great choices:

Alan Rickman as Hugo Strange

Geoffrey Rush as Oswald Cobblepot

Walton Goggins as The Riddler

Giancarlo Esposito as Mr. Freeze

John Barrowman as Black Mask

l

THE LEGEND ENDS

JULY 20TH 2012
Doctor Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #50
Han Solo
Scruffy Nerfherder