The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #901
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,024
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

...dropped back to $3.10 a gallon.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #902
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,783
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Filled up @ $2.89 yesterday...

__________________

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
… Maya Angelou ...

Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #903
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,024
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

...it actually dropped to $2.93 a gallon before jumping back up to $3.39 a gallon!

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #904
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,024
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

...dropped back to $3.25 a gallon.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #905
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,783
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

The last time I filled up, was in Dallas last week on my way back to Houston, with my Kroger perks, I paid $2.09/gallon......will fill up again tomorrow, I will pay $2.89.

__________________

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
… Maya Angelou ...

Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #906
Holiday
'Bout that action
 
Holiday's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,923
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Gas is around 3.50 around and climbing higher here in North Alabama. I'm definitely thankful I'm only a five minute drive from work.

Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #907
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,286
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Got you all beat. $3.59 or $3.65 here I *think*.

__________________

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #908
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,280
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

$3.90-$4 premium

Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #909
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed
 
NewYorkSpider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 23,628
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

$3.74 here

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #910
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,783
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

I will be filling up in the next few days, will probably be about $3.24...

__________________

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
… Maya Angelou ...

Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #911
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,024
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

...$3.68 a gallon here. It actually just fell back from $3.89.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #912
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,280
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Regular is $3.79. Premium is $4.19.

It stayed down til I was out of work and now it is just climbing and climbing and climbing

__________________
The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


H.E.
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #913
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,286
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Seen a gas station in town...$3.89.

__________________

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #914
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,286
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Well, well,....-_-.



http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?p...d-f320a6f9ad0c


Just....blah.

Gas prices be going up.

I think $5 bucks will happen in at least a few states by summer.

__________________

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #915
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,387
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Good. Let them climb.

Gives all the alternative energy companies and investors even more economic incentive to get into the market.

Except corn. **** corn. Anything but corn.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #916
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,280
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Good. Let them climb.

Gives all the alternative energy companies and investors even more economic incentive to get into the market.

Except corn. **** corn. Anything but corn.
No, not good. Its all well and good that investors and alternative fuels prosper when gas is expensive, but in the here and now people have to get back and forth to work and the grocer. To hell with high gas prices, and to ehll with our government for letting it happen.

__________________
The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


H.E.
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #917
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,387
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
No, not good. Its all well and good that investors and alternative fuels prosper when gas is expensive, but in the here and now people have to get back and forth to work and the grocer. To hell with high gas prices, and to ehll with our government for letting it happen.
So let them climb.

Let the people start raining hell down on their politicians for letting this happen.

Talk about the environment, and OPEC, and whatever else you want, and something will eventually happen.

Hit people in their wallets, and **** gets done.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #918
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,280
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
So let them climb.

Let the people start raining hell down on their politicians for letting this happen.

Talk about the environment, and OPEC, and whatever else you want, and something will eventually happen.

Hit people in their wallets, and **** gets done.
Right because the people are going to rain hell on their politicians. Where have you been living the last 5 years? Ever since Katrina our gas prices have reached all the way up to $5+ and as low as $1.39, and I haven't seen one rain of fire from anyone. American's just bend over and say enter.

Oil prices don't just effect gas rices. It effects everything that uses oil in its manufacturing process which is everything from tires to shingles. High gas prices do more harm than good.

__________________
The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


H.E.

Last edited by Marvolo; 02-26-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #919
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,387
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

And what's the alternative?

You hit people in their wallets hard enough, and they do raise hell. Did we forget the whole 99% thing last year? Or the gas price hearings? Or SOPA/PIPA (not gas price related, but what people can still do when you get them riled up).

Now imagine everyone in the country getting pissed because it costs more to drive, ship, eat, build, and everything else.

I totally agree that people have become complacent and more then willing to bend over. And I say it's time to stop babying them and give them a wake up call. A little pain in the short term hopefully will straighten things out. Much better than letting the pain drag on and on, and just get worse and worse.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #920
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,280
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
And what's the alternative?

You hit people in their wallets hard enough, and they do raise hell. Did we forget the whole 99% thing last year? Or the gas price hearings? Or SOPA/PIPA (not gas price related, but what people can still do when you get them riled up).

Now imagine everyone in the country getting pissed because it costs more to drive, ship, eat, build, and everything else.

I totally agree that people have become complacent and more then willing to bend over. And I say it's time to stop babying them and give them a wake up call. A little pain in the short term hopefully will straighten things out. Much better than letting the pain drag on and on, and just get worse and worse.
This isn't happening to act as a wake-up call. It is happening because of apathy and politics. Why should I or anyone else suffer because those in Washington, and the dumb and uninformed keep the status quo? **** them. They have had many wake-up calls and have ignored them all.

How about this alternative, stop ****ing over the population. Tear down the lobyists, kick Israel and their coffers out of Washington, vote out the lazy deadbeats in Washington, and get our **** straightened out. Stop feeding the media with viewership. Throw them out in the cold to die. In the meantime I would like to be able to have food and means of transportation. I won't give that up so that the cancer plaguing this country might (not even remotely likely) suddenly open their eyes. And let's say they do open their eyes, what do you think the fools will do when their eyes are opened? Sensibly act to fix it? No. They will act like fools, and do more foolish things. They will react in fear, haste, and violence. Three things that will cause more harm than good. We need sensible solutions. Not revolution.

__________________
The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


H.E.

Last edited by Marvolo; 02-26-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #921
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,387
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
So you are saying the politicians, fatcats, and 1% should say "To hell with everyone else." and stick it to us so we rebel? This isn't happening to act as a wake-up call. It is happening because of apathy and politics. How about this alternative, stop ****ing over the population. Tear down the lobyists, kick Israel and their coffers out of Washington, vote out the lazy deadbeats in Washington, and get our **** straightened out. Stop feeding the media with viewership. Throw them out in the cold to die. In the meantime I would like to be able to have food and means of transportation. Why should I or anyone else suffer because those in Washington, and the dumb and uninformed keep the status quo?
Because the people won't do any of that without a ****ing wakeup call!

Because people are ****ing apathetic sheep that only get off their couches and do something about the politicians and corruption when it actually hits them where it hurts.

You just said that the people are apathetic. Are they just supposed to magically stop being apathetic? Something has to get the people moving. Something has to remind them that the politicians aren't some unstoppable force, and remind the politicians that as well.

Last year, I was hoping that SOPA/PIPA was going to do that. For the first time in I can't remember how long, politicians were actually ****ting themselves because their constituents were threatening to take them down. Hell, all those major corporations which people say own Washington and are unstoppable started backing off in fear and, in some cases, even suddenly switching from supporting SOPA to condemning it. It was beautiful to see.

And then we won! SOPA/PIPA died!

And the apathy returned because nothing was 'immediately' threatening something the people want/need.

I don't want this to happen. And I wish it was something like the NDAA that was getting people to go back to putting the hard press on their politicians again. But something like this will also cause a change to happen because it'll either break our oil addiction as market demand shifts and/or it'll get the people kicking political ass again like they did during the gas crisis of the 70's (but hopefully before it becomes another crisis).

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #922
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,024
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

...still hovering around $3.65 a gallon.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #923
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,387
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Time to break out the old gas saving tips:

1) Accelerate slower - All that fast off the line acceleration just eats up the fuel and your wallet. There's no need to take off. Especially if you're just going to wind up at the next red light anyway.

2) Slow down longer - Speaking of red lights, don't wait until the last seconds to break. Avoid breaking whenever you can (if it's safe). Take your foot off early and just coast your speed down. At the least, you break at a slower speed saving wear on the pads, and wasting less energy and fuel. At best, you might not have to come to complete stop at the light because it turns green. And starting from a stop uses more gas than accelerating from a roll.

3) Clean it out - All that stuff in your car? It's weight. Weight that takes extra fuel to move. Every 100 pounds (45 kilos) equals 1% in your mileage. Those boxes of books in your trunk that you never get around to taking out after that move? Get that 1% back.

4) Clean it off - Speaking of weight, that ski rack you only use half the year? That bike rack you only use half the year? Take them off. Not only do they weigh you down, they hurt the aerodynamics of your vehicle.

4a) And on the subject of aerodynamics, truck owners should leave those tailgates up. As counter-intuitive as it seems, leaving the tailgate up cause less drag than having it down. When it's up, it creates a bubble of air in the truck bed that the air you're pushing through just rolls over. Without the gate, or with one of those netting replacements, that air just shoves down on the bed of your truck once it gets passed the cab. And taking the tailgate off might save weight, but it'll probably just be offset by the extra drag. And those trucks were designed with the gates in place...

5) Check that tire pressure - Too little air increases contact with the road and friction/drag. 6 psi too low means 5% drop in fuel efficiency. (Besides, too much or too little air just kills the life of the tire and can be dangerous.)

6) Watch the hills - Don't accelerate up a hill. You're just making your engine work harder. Instead, when you can, let you speed drop a mile or two as you go up, then let gravity help you get that speed back on the way down.

7) Shift smart - Manual transmission? Upshifting sooner can cut RPMs and cut your engine's workload. And we're not talking chump change here. Saab showed that paying attention to your upshift indicator (if you have one) can save you 9% on mileage. (Also pay attention to your downshifting. Lugging it in too high a gear isn't good for the engine.) Also try skipping a gear on the upshift. Oh, and got an automatic transmission? Watch your tach or listen to the engine. Sometimes you can trick the car into a higher gear when it's topping out by easing off the gas a bit. Then you can get back to speed at a lower RPM


But, overall, the best way to save on gas, is to just drive safely. Accelerate slower, break longer, and avoid sudden jumps or dips in speed by paying attention to the traffic.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #924
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,387
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Enough with the troll. How about a few more tips?

Spare the air - The air conditioner and heater drain a fuel tank like nobody's business. Even the radio puts on an extra drain. If you need it, use it. But if you don't, keep it off and roll down the windows instead.

Speaking of the windows - At slower speeds, like city driving, keeping the windows down uses less gas than the air conditioner. Using them will still use more gas then keeping them shut, but if you need the air anyway, go ahead...UNLESS you're on the freeway, or doing more than 40 or 50 mph. At those speeds, it's better to use the air conditioner than the windows.

Get more gas for your dollar...Literally - Next time you’re at the pump, check for a sign that says the fuel is measured by volume, not density. Wonder why? Because as things get colder, their molecules pack together more tightly. So, when you pump gas on a cold morning or night, there are more molecules of gasoline in each liter/gallon than if you pumped in the warm afternoon. (Oh, if you get back in your car to warm up, be sure to touch the skin of the car when you get back out to discharge the static electricity you just built up. A gas pump fire is not a good way to warm up.)

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #925
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,286
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

How about the gas prices go down so we Americans don't need these tips

__________________

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.