The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #101
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Default Re: "I am Doom...What Gods Dare Stand Against Me"---The official Dr. Doom Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Because to fans of the original comics, that isn't the origin. I can see where you are coming from, but it wouldn't make the fanboys very happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Then screw the fanboys. On a very real level, they don't matter. A movie lives or dies on how well the general audience embraces it.

Besides which, the purists will hate the movie regardless, simply because of the inevitable changes in adaptation.
Um. Yeah. I'm with meta on this one. I'm actually thoroughly surprised you even feel that way Kelly. Their goal first and foremost should be to make a great film, not an accurate film. Stan Lee's writing in his early days is not for everyone. Just like Nolan and the MCU, they need to make an adaptation that is entertaining and faithful (not identical) to the comics.

If they do a story about exploring an anomaly in space and the conflict arises when Skrulls attack. I'm okay with that.

If they combine the origin with exploring the Negative Zone and encountering Annihilus (similar to Ultimate) thats fine too.

Just so long as the movie is well written, acted and directed.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 AM   #102
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: "I am Doom...What Gods Dare Stand Against Me"---The official Dr. Doom Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Um. Yeah. I'm with meta on this one. I'm actually thoroughly surprised you even feel that way Kelly. Their goal first and foremost should be to make a great film, not an accurate film. Stan Lee's writing in his early days is not for everyone. Just like Nolan and the MCU, they need to make an adaptation that is entertaining and faithful (not identical) to the comics.

If they do a story about exploring an anomaly in space and the conflict arises when Skrulls attack. I'm okay with that.

If they combine the origin with exploring the Negative Zone and encountering Annihilus (similar to Ultimate) thats fine too.

Just so long as the movie is well written, acted and directed.
Who said "I" felt that way, I am always for a movie that the general audience will enjoy, considering for the most part in all movies, including comic book movies, I would be considered one of the general audience.

BUT, I have also been posting here for a long time, and I know how fanboys think. I was simply stating reality of life here on the hype. That doesn't mean I was talking about life in the real world.

If I enjoy the movie, honestly that is all I care about, selfish? maybe....but I'm the one buying the $10.00 ticket..... as far as the story I would be happy with a few things that I have enjoyed the most about the F4 comics. If it has the origin, doesn't have the origin, Doom in the origin, Doom not in the origin, original comics, UFF, Marvel Knights FF, FF Adventures doesn't really matter to me. I just want a good movie.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #103
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
I have no problem with the FF's origin being told - but that's been done already so move on.

BATMAN BEGINS worked because the origin had NOT been told before. THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN suffered because that story had been told recently enough that it's seemed pointless and repetitive.

I for one do not need to see Reed and Ben meet in college to understand why they are life long friends. The idea of an FF movie wasting even more screen time with them without their powers - and thus NOT the Fantastic Four - seems like a sure way to kill it before it starts. THE X-MEN started with Professor X and company up and running, I see no reason why the FF can not do the same.
To be fair, did that first movie tell that origin well? Frankly that movie is so bad, I think its just best to pretend it doesn't exist.

That being said, I have no problem not covering the origin in the movie and Doom not being involved in the origin or be the main villain in the first movie, but the villain of the first movie needs have an interesting rivalry with the FF and not seem like a lame place holder for Doom.

Here is the problem, Dr. doom is by far the best villain the FF have, the FF rogues gallery has one or two great villains, a few okay ones and then a lot of crappy ones. So if Dr. Doom isn't present and you get a one dimensional, non threatening villain as a place holder, why should the audience care? Sure you are saving Doom for the sequel, but if the first movie is lackluster, why should people return for the sequel? If the villain has no motives or interesting personality and is just there because the movie needs a movie needs a villain, why should anyone care? That's the role many of FF villains are in stuck in, generic villains who exist to get beaten up by the FF, rather then dynamic characters in their own right.

So if Dr. Doom isn't the main villain, he should be a growing threat in the back ground and if the villain is not tied to the origin, they need something that makes their rivalry with the FF interesting.

So yeah it is a good idea to save Dr. Doom for a sequel, but if instead of Doom's epic, Shakespearean back story, we get Mole Man complaining about how he can't get laid, Red Ghost acting like an outdated Cold War stereotype or Wizard acting like a Paris Hilton style attention whore who is miffed that the FF are more famous then he is, then you haven't replaced Doom with a compelling villain who is interesting. You may as well go with Doom, if you don't change some of the villains, a lot, to make them more interesting.

The Overlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #104
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Mole Man shouldn't and most likely wouldn't just be mad because he's not "getting laid" if he were the main villain in a movie.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #105
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Mole Man shouldn't and most likely wouldn't just be mad because he's not "getting laid" if he were the main villain in a movie.
Well that's about the only thing they given Mole Man as a motive in the 616 universe, that or just being miffed that a bunch a scientists didn't believe his story about monsters living in the center of the Earth, which is equally unimpressive.

The thing is, Dr. Doom by far has the most interesting motives and back story of all the FF villains, so if you are going with another villain, it would be tricky for that villain to come off as something other then just a placeholder for Dr. Doom and that's not a good thing for the film.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #106
johnrain
Side-Kick

How bout Walz as Dr Doom?

johnrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #107
JAK®
Upstart

I think any actor that plays Dr. Doom needs to have a Shakespearean background. A very old-school acting style.

JAK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #108
Ant-manic
Banned User

i think Jude Law might make an interesting Doom. it will need to be someone who can be expressive with a mask covering most of their face.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #109
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

ideally we should see very little of Doom without his mask, and I doubt there are very many name actors willing to do that...

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #110
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
i think Jude Law might make an interesting Doom. it will need to be someone who can be expressive with a mask covering most of their face.
so hugo weaving

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #111
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

So go with Hugo for Doom, then.

But didn't he turn into a cry baby after ONE Red Skull movie and now he does not want to do that again - not the sort of guy you want to start a new franchise with...

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #112
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:

But didn't he turn into a cry baby after ONE Red Skull movie and now he does not want to do that again - not the sort of guy you want to start a new franchise with...
Red Skull was completely dull in that movie, I don't blame Hugo Weaving for not wanting to play him again. Red Skull in that movie came off as a generic villain from a 80s cartoon, nothing about him was menacing and he barely did anything in the whole movie, if that is how Doom is written in the next movie, I would be disappointed.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #113
J'adore
Vous

I think Julian McMahon was one of the best things about the FF movie, imo.

But I'm loving that Christoph Waltz suggestion! Now you say it that's all I can see...

Old 03-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #114
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'adore View Post
I think Julian McMahon was one of the best things about the FF movie, imo.

But I'm loving that Christoph Waltz suggestion! Now you say it that's all I can see...

Bad writing killed Doom more than Julian IMO, but Julian really knew nothing of what and who Doom was...

Old 03-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #115
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:

He basically said that he was disappointed with the role, but that he would come back if they asked him to since that was part of his contract.

JAK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #116
DrDoom
Dictator

Clive Owen for DOOM, as long as it's not an American. Doom should have an accent of some kind.

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
DrDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #117
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Clive Owen for DOOM, as long as it's not an American. Doom should have an accent of some kind.
Because that worked so well the last time????

The first scenes shot with Doom was a speech before they took off into space. Julian tried an Eastern European accent.....it didn't work very well, and that scene was not only cut, it wasn't even put in the extended cut...

Old 03-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #118
GoblinScrier
Side-Kick

Quote:

The first scenes shot with Doom was a speech before they took off into space. Julian tried an Eastern European accent.....it didn't work very well, and that scene was not only cut, it wasn't even put in the extended cut...
Well if you get an actor who already speaks a second language then it can work...I personally would like to see a hint of a European accent...I mean Latveria is a Eastern European nation..it only stands to reason.

McMahon sounded like the Count from Sesame Street LOL when he tried his accent...

Old 03-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #119
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinScrier View Post
Well if you get an actor who already speaks a second language then it can work...I personally would like to see a hint of a European accent...I mean Latveria is a Eastern European nation..it only stands to reason.

McMahon sounded like the Count from Sesame Street LOL when he tried his accent...
I don't think I ever actually heard the speech....but from what I heard about it, it was laughably horrible...

Old 03-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #120
DrDoom
Dictator

Quote:

Did you not read the entire post before you responded?

I DO NOT want an american as Doom, especially one doing a bad accent like McMahon did in that cut scene.

I want an good actor that has an accent

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
DrDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #121
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
I think any actor that plays Dr. Doom needs to have a Shakespearean background. A very old-school acting style.
Yes, perfect for the character. Lets get Ian McKellen!

Old 03-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #122
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Did you not read the entire post before you responded?

I DO NOT want an american as Doom, especially one doing a bad accent like McMahon did in that cut scene.

I want an good actor that has an accent
Um, Julian isn't American.....just sayin'.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #123
Ant-manic
Banned User

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau for Doom

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:40 AM   #124
FVD
Jolly Loves You

Jaime Lannister and Christoph Waltz are awesome choices for Doom. Preferably I'm hoping Doom be hidden in his costume with a Voice Actor much like David Prowse and James Earl Jones as Darth Vader. After all, wasn't Vader inspired by Doctor Doom in the first place?

And that origin in the recent film with Julian McMahon going into space with Reed and the others was f'n lame!!! Also should bring up that the way the F4 defeated Doom in that film was so lousy. Well done Tim Story you Yes Man and the clown writing the darn thing not to mention ROTHMAN!!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #125
Project862006
Banned User

or just get cumberbatch he already has that booming voice

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote