The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 02-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Default Nuclear Weapons: The Elephant in the Room

Thought I'd make a thread, since we don't seem to have one.

North Korea's recent test sort of brought them back to public attention- 'til Blade Runner shot his girlfriend.

So, funny thing about the nukes is, everyone - or rather, South Koreans, the Japanese and Israelis are very worried about certain states acquiring nukes (and their proliferation), but no one seems to talk about the tens thousands that already exist (some of which are guarded with little more than a padlock).

So, when (if ever) are we going to talk about this? Nuclear disarmament seems to be dead. Or do we have to have a small-scale nuclear war / attack first?

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

Default Re: Nuclear Weapons: The Elephant in the Room

I can definitely see a nuclear conflict at some point within the next 40 years. maybe even 20 years.

BUT I don't believe we'll get a full-on "The Day After" type of nuclear exchange. as much tension as there can be with Russia and China,it's nowhere near as bad as the Cold War. and all 3 major superpowers know the consequences: no world left for ANYONE to "rule".

that said,I can see a limited exchange in the middle east at some point. too many cuckoos either with or wanting nukes. eventually the wrong person will have them at the wrong time and just say "F-it!" and drop or launch one.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

That's definitely plausible.

Ironically, MAD has really left the world complacent. People are still thinking in Cold War terms. "They won't fire, because they know we will fire back". But the game has changed.

If there is a small scale nuclear war (Israel and Iran, for example), that could easily escalate. And even in the best case scenario, where it doesn't turn into a global conflict that sets a very disturbing precedent. Imagine a world in which nuclear war isn't unusual.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
That's definitely plausible.

Ironically, MAD has really left the world complacent. People are still thinking in Cold War terms. "They won't fire, because they know we will fire back". But the game has changed.

If there is a small scale nuclear war (Israel and Iran, for example), that could easily escalate. And even in the best case scenario, where it doesn't turn into a global conflict that sets a very disturbing precedent. Imagine a world in which nuclear war isn't unusual.
If it happens once it can happen again. Even letting it happen once on a small scale is a precedent no one wants to set. It would also royally **** up world economics and trade relations which could in the long run cause just as much damage as a nuclear blast would cause in the immediate.

Last edited by Marvolo; 02-21-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Marvolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

I dunno how this would...I dunno if this is very Libertarian to say, but as a Pagan, I really would like to see all nukes, yes, even America's disarmed. You want nuclear energy...fine, that's another matter for another day, but WEAPONS, no one should have.

'Oh, but what if we have nukes and never use them, but threaten to use them' Well, **** that. We all live on Earth. To me it's Mother Earth, so I really don't want to see anything bad happen.

I just thought of a plot to a SyFy Channel movie. Nuclear Hurricane. -_- my goodness...

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
I dunno how this would...I dunno if this is very Libertarian to say, but as a Pagan, I really would like to see all nukes, yes, even America's disarmed. You want nuclear energy...fine, that's another matter for another day, but WEAPONS, no one should have.

'Oh, but what if we have nukes and never use them, but threaten to use them' Well, **** that. We all live on Earth. To me it's Mother Earth, so I really don't want to see anything bad happen.

I just thought of a plot to a SyFy Channel movie. Nuclear Hurricane. -_- my goodness...
Yup...but it'll never happen. The US won't disarm, because whatever other country won't disarm...they would all have to disarm at the same time...and of course every country would lie and say "yup! We have no more nukes" and be stockpiling them to use as a threat against other countries.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post

I don't want anyone to use nukes but I don't want to completely get rid of them. Right now they probably do act as a deterrent against a large country going to war with another large country. I like the boogeyman effect they have.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Nuclear war is global suicide.

I think the only chance of a nuclear conflict is if they fall into the wrong hands or some crackpot regime just goes crazy.

Iran and North Korea want nukes and talk about using them on other countries but I still think that its mostly posturing and looking tough.

The regimes know that it would mean certain death for everyone to start a nuclear war.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
Alex_Spider
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Thought I'd make a thread, since we don't seem to have one.

North Korea's recent test sort of brought them back to public attention- 'til Blade Runner shot his girlfriend.

So, funny thing about the nukes is, everyone - or rather, South Koreans, the Japanese and Israelis are very worried about certain states acquiring nukes (and their proliferation), but no one seems to talk about the tens thousands that already exist (some of which are guarded with little more than a padlock).

So, when (if ever) are we going to talk about this? Nuclear disarmament seems to be dead. Or do we have to have a small-scale nuclear war / attack first?
Spot on. Add to that the nuclear briefcases, that a god only knows into who's hands are and how many of them exist. Really, one has to think how far can human stupidity go with the nuclear weapons? I hope we never see an Armageddon like scenario in real life like in the movies. Screw the mad politicians and psychotic warmongers. We want to live in peace with Mother Earth.

Alex_Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Nuclear war is global suicide.

I think the only chance of a nuclear conflict is if they fall into the wrong hands or some crackpot regime just goes crazy.

Iran and North Korea want nukes and talk about using them on other countries but I still think that its mostly posturing and looking tough.

The regimes know that it would mean certain death for everyone to start a nuclear war.
I think it is, to a degree. The problem is, the current leaders may be sane enough to only use it as a saber to rattle. But take North Korea. A very dangerous place. People are brainwashed from birth to be fanatics who hate the South, Japan, and the United States. They are completely out of touch with reality.

Kim Jong-un wouldn't use nukes, since he wants to prolong the status quo, but when the place falls apart, you're going to have a *** load of crazy, brainwashed military cliques armed with nuclear weapons. That is a nightmare waiting to happen.