Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #276
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
that first one is beautiful! Hope we see it on film!
That is the deep space armor which we keep hearing about.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #277
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

That Hulkbuster armor...how does one even stand in it? That does not look comfortable!

The space armor looks slick, though.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #278
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I wasn't a fan of them adding Mandarin at all to the movie. Mandarin is a very offensive racial stereotype, and the filmmakers originally said the same thing. Dunno why they changed their minds --- maybe Feige pressured them to find a way to get Tony's iconic archnemesis in. In any event, the only smart way to put a caricature like Mandarin into a film is to make the caricature too dumb to recognize how offensive and how stupid he really looks/acts.

So yeah, Mandarin's an INO; but that's the only way you could get him into the picture. Trying to make him the comic-book Fu Manchu or stereotypical Chinese Triad leader would have had the Chinese and Asian-Americans up in arms. It's a smart move to play him the way I believe they will.
It's also not necessarily untrue to the comic character. At his core the Mandarin is a conquering terrorist. That's the basis of his portrayal in this movie as well. Only difference is he's not Chinese, he's representative of all races.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #279
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Plus, the Mandarin in this poster looks exactly like what I've described --- an Osama/ Fidel/ Che/ Carlos the Jackal wannabe terrorist/rebel targeting the Evil Capitalist Empire of America, dressed out in the trappings of cultures he barely understands. Killian is playing him like a fiddle.
No way in Hades it's Killian playing Mandarin. They wouldn't emasculate Iron Man's greatest enemy like that. Not happening.

Feige already said that Mandarin has been operating behind the scenes since IM1. I suppose it's possible that it's really Killian that's the head of all this, but I put that possibility at around 1%. It would totally kill the Mandarin character to have that happen.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #280
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvel_freshman View Post
Boss at CBM was sent these. He doesn't know if the concept art is 100% legit considering some random person emailed them to him.

The Deep Space Armor is gorgeous. Guess we might be seeing Stark in Space soon, as some of us speculated before el whatever's "scoop".

That Hulkbuster armor is too weirdly designed. How would a human being even wear it when the back is so bizarrely curved? Normal people can't hunch their backs like that. If the artist had drawn it upright it might look okay.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #281
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:

I wasn't a fan of them adding Mandarin at all to the movie. Mandarin is a very offensive racial stereotype, and the filmmakers originally said the same thing. Dunno why they changed their minds --- maybe Feige pressured them to find a way to get Tony's iconic archnemesis in. In any event, the only smart way to put a caricature like Mandarin into a film is to make the caricature too dumb to recognize how offensive and how stupid he really looks/acts.

So yeah, Mandarin's an INO; but that's the only way you could get him into the picture. Trying to make him the comic-book Fu Manchu or stereotypical Chinese Triad leader would have had the Chinese and Asian-Americans up in arms. It's a smart move to play him the way I believe they will.
I guess I'm just under the impression that since Mandarin is essentially the most iconic villain of Iron Man that his presence should be very large in what we assume to be the last solo Iron Man film for at least 5 years.

I agree that including him as the character in the comics would never happen because he is that racist caricature/stereotype and would never be allowable, and that this middle eastern tyrant (which we all know have been threats in modern day) is a better/safer way to go.

But it's also hard to ignore that even though they never knew HOW that they were going to add him to live film, they have been setting out a map to include him for both IM 1 and 2.

In regards to what I bolded: I don't think they're going to make him some sort of nit-whit who's mindlessly going about carrying out tasks for a higher up. I don't think Mandarin is going to be just a false image for Killian to hide behind in order to cast a shadow over his main plans.

We'll have to see ultimately.. I can really see either side of the Mandarin - Killian relationship working out really well on film. Just enjoy chatting about the possibilities of each side. Don't want to come off as snotty or something haha

Last edited by mkilban2; 02-22-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #282
Mr. Dent
Banned User

So why can't Killian and Mandarin just be partners/associates again?

Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #283
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

My guess is that Killian is a contractor for Mandarin--his science wing, possibly even one of the 10 rings in the organization.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #284
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
So why can't Killian and Mandarin just be partners/associates again?
when are two villainous people ever actually buddy-buddy? haha One is always essentially above the other or trying to best the other for his own personal gain.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #285
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

The Deep Space armor will be my favorite suit if it's in the movie and looks like that.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #286
Mako
Galactic Crusier

I really hope we see Tony at least testing the Space Armor in film.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #287
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
Plus, the Mandarin in this poster looks exactly like what I've described --- an Osama/ Fidel/ Che/ Carlos the Jackal wannabe terrorist/rebel targeting the Evil Capitalist Empire of America, dressed out in the trappings of cultures he barely understands. Killian is playing him like a fiddle.
That sounds way too similar to the IM partnership between Stane and Raza. Smart, sophisticated Westerner partners with middle-eastern terrorist to take out Stark, only to find that the Westerner was playing him the whole time. I don't think I'd like that.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #288
Figs
Banned User

I'm wondering if we'll get the next trailer in March or April. Can't wait for this film!

Old 02-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #289
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
I'm wondering if we'll get the next trailer in March or April. Can't wait for this film!
if what i recall is correct the 2nd theatrical trailer should be here first week of March... that's what these posters are leading up to.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #290
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Boss at CBM was sent these. He doesn't know if the concept art is 100% legit considering some random person emailed them to him.

Hulkbuster looks like early concept art.

What if the first thing we see in IM3 is Stark testing the Deep Space Armour...?

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #291
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
when are two villainous people ever actually buddy-buddy? haha One is always essentially above the other or trying to best the other for his own personal gain.
Where did I say they would be buddies? A mutual beneficial relationship does not equate to being friends. It's business. They have a common goal. It's not always evil mastermind and henchman.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #292
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Marvel is setting up the foil of the Mandarin to Tony perfectly. The Mandarin was originally created during a time where it was America vs. China, Capitalism vs. Communism, and the antagonism between Mandarin and Tony represented that. Tony was the embodiment of American ideals and capitalism, Mandarin was Chinese and Communism.

Now, Marvel is taking that and updating it for today's world. The Mandarin is a caricature of every type of third-world Orientalism, while Tony is a product of the first world western culture. This adaptation of the Mandarin works on so many different levels and is the perfect representation of the comics in spirit. It's genius.

The Mandarin understands these cultures, and he's lived in them, which is why he can challenge Tony the way he does. Mandarin will not be some retard man-child that Killian takes advantage of. He will be a cunning, eccentric villain. The Mandarin will be using first world technology, Tony's own technology, against him. His rings will be based off of Extremis tech and he has one of his goons steal Iron Patriot for a terrorist attack. He is going to be a true terrorist. Goddamn Marvel.

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 02-22-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #293
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Where did I say they would be buddies? A mutual beneficial relationship does not equate to being friends. It's business. They have a common goal. It's not always evil mastermind and henchman.
I didn't mean the term "buddy-buddy" to mean like they're good friends with each other, I meant it more as when have we seen 2 villains in one movie that are equal with each other as associates or what have you and not have one guy really pulling the strings from behind the others back or have one guy doing shady dealings to gain an advantage. (I hope that clarified my point)

hence why both Sam and I have our theories on one of the two being the bigger piece of the puzzle.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #294
Hunter Rider
Ronin

Quote:

I hope this one is in the movie, really cool design.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 02-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #295
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
No way in Hades it's Killian playing Mandarin. They wouldn't emasculate Iron Man's greatest enemy like that. Not happening.

Feige already said that Mandarin has been operating behind the scenes since IM1. I suppose it's possible that it's really Killian that's the head of all this, but I put that possibility at around 1%. It would totally kill the Mandarin character to have that happen.
Mandarin's already "emasculated" and nerfed. Comic-book Mandarin is essentially a Fu Manchu "sorcerer" who uses super-powered rings in combat against Iron Man. MCU Mandarin is/does none of those things, clearly.

Anyway, it doesn't make Mandarin "emasculated" to find out that he's not the head honcho after all. It just makes AIM that much more sinister and powerful.

Quote:
In regards to what I bolded: I don't think they're going to make him some sort of nit-whit who's mindlessly going about carrying out tasks for a higher up. I don't think Mandarin is going to be just a false image for Killian to hide behind in order to cast a shadow over his main plans.
I don't think he's a "mindless nitwit" either. Clearly, he's smart enough to have gotten where he is, to a position of rulership in a global terrorist organization. But there's no way in hell he's as smart as Killian, the guy who invented Extremis --- something even Stark himself wished he could've dreamt up. And I strongly suspect Killian is AIM's "Scientist Supreme." So who's the smartest guy in the room? Killian is. It might even be implied that he's smarter than Stark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
That sounds way too similar to the IM partnership between Stane and Raza. Smart, sophisticated Westerner partners with middle-eastern terrorist to take out Stark, only to find that the Westerner was playing him the whole time. I don't think I'd like that.
That's exactly what I believe this is. Only Killian ranks higher than Stane, and Mandarin ranks higher than Raza. And on that subject, I think IM3 is going to retro-reference a link between Stane and AIM: he was probably a mole/plant in Stark's organization from the very beginning.

Also on that note: I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that Raza had at least a rudimentary prototype of Extremis implanted inside him. In retrospect, it would explain the curious exchange in IM1 where Stane used a device to paralyze Raza, and Raza displayed those dark veins that seem to be associated with the Extremis virus.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 02-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #296
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Mandarin's already "emasculated" and nerfed. Comic-book Mandarin is essentially a Fu Manchu "sorcerer" who uses super-powered rings in combat against Iron Man. MCU Mandarin is/does none of those things, clearly.

Anyway, it doesn't make Mandarin "emasculated" to find out that he's not the head honcho after all. It just makes AIM that much more sinister and powerful.
You really think he's already emasculated? I find that hard to believe given what the trailer has shown of his actions. Just because they've updated him from the silly version in the comics doesn't mean that he's nerfed. Far from it.

What you're suggesting is the equivalent of making the Joker a puppet of the Mad Hatter. Possible, but in no way probable.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #297
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:

How does that make him nerfed? I think you're using the wrong phrases to express yourself here.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #298
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:

I don't think he's a "mindless nitwit" either. Clearly, he's smart enough to have gotten where he is, to a position of rulership in a global terrorist organization. But there's no way in hell he's as smart as Killian, the guy who invented Extremis --- something even Stark himself wished he could've dreamt up. And I strongly suspect Killian is AIM's "Scientist Supreme." So who's the smartest guy in the room? Killian is. It might even be implied that he's smarter than Stark.

good point, I guess it will either be your case or a scenario where he possibly lets all that knowledge and power go to his head and inflates his ego really where Mandarin has had him in a spot that he wants him all along in order to provoke his master plan.

although the AIM point you bring up of them being a threat to deal with is also something I didn't really think about, they will be playing a pretty large role in phase 2 I assume so it could make sense that Killian could be bigger than Mandy.

gosh I can't wait for this movie and next trailer haha

Old 02-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #299
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
You really think he's already emasculated? I find that hard to believe given what the trailer has shown of his actions. Just because they've updated him from the silly version in the comics doesn't mean that he's nerfed. Far from it.

What you're suggesting is the equivalent of making the Joker a puppet of the Mad Hatter. Possible, but in no way probable.
Not even close. What I'm suggesting is more like the equivalent of Lex Luthor being a puppet of Brainiac. Luthor would be powerful enough and arrogant enough to believe that he wears the britches in the relationship, but Brainiac is really calling all the shots. And that's a situation/analogy that is highly, highly probable.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 02-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #300
StarLord
It's Horchata, man.

After watching the trailer to this again, I can't help but hear the same whaling noise that was in The Dark Knight Rises teaser trailer...

Am I the only one? Or late to the party?

Closed Thread