The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #126
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man - Part 1

The doctorate thing is a perfect example on how this SpOck era is going to help Peter Parker in the long run. By the time Pete gets his life (and body) back, he's gonna have to buy Otto a real nice gift for improving certain things.

And the scene where Ghost Peter dissipated when Ock flipped out over Dr Kafka is interesting. It seems like it could play a role in the upcoming issue when Ock seemingly takes over full control.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #127
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'd thought about reading Ultimate but I'm a bit apprehensive since quite a few people seem to hold it in low regard. Eh, who knows, I may end up liking it so I'll try the first collection.
US-M is the strongest Ultimate title and deservedly so. Bendis kicks ass on it

Quote:

I may end up giving Superior a chance but I'm gonna try some other things that appeal to me more. Again though, thank you for the suggestions.
Do, it's on a great streak at the moment

Quote:
Tangled web?? I'll have to look that one up...which universe is that from? Amazing?
it's still the 616, has one of my favourite storylines in it

Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #128
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwip! View Post
US-M is the strongest Ultimate title and deservedly so. Bendis kicks ass on it

Do, it's on a great streak at the moment

it's still the 616, has one of my favourite storylines in it
Thanks for the help . I'll probably give Superior a chance at some point but there's other stuff I want to read first.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #129
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Something occurred to me when I saw the preview for Superior Spider-Man #4 and which, having read the issue, I believe this issue is starting to lay the ground work for. Some of the reactions I've seen about Doc Ock as Spider-Man are saying that he's more efficient and organized than Peter Parker ever was, that he's doing things Peter should have considered doing like his spider-bot surveillance system and what have you. Likewise, the suggestion that because Peter allowed Massacre to live, then Peter is the one responsible for those deaths, including that of Dr. Kafka, and that Doc Ock will then have a more effective solution to making sure Massacre doesn't kill again (and it won't be death because that would be too easy and obvious). The message seems to be that maybe Doc Ock really is a "Superior Spider-Man" than Peter.

To that I say this: you're being played.

Let's not forget this is Doctor Octopus, someone who is well-established as being a megalomaniac and control-freak. His going ballistic over the fact that Peter never got his doctorate should be a reminder of this. Likewise, when he talks about having "eight-thousand eyes" to watch over the people of New York, or that he's going to "end" Massacre once and for all--that's supposed to unnerve you. Let's also not forget that, in spite of how annoying Ghost Peter is, he's the only person who is keeping Otto in check. So what happens if he's not around to do so? Yes, Doc Ock is now playing the role of a "superhero," someone who has adopted Peter's creed of "with great power comes great responsibility." But think on this: while that mantra can be a call to action for civic duty and humanitarianism, it can also be twisted into the slogan for the tyrant and the fascist, someone who can use it as a means to justify oppression in the name of law and order.

And this is where I believe Slott is ultimately taking Doc Ock as Spider-Man, that because he's now adopted Peter's code of personal and civic responsibility, he will ironically become a greater menace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV

Old 02-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #130
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

Uh-oh, Identity Crisis part II.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #131
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Spider-Man the dictator with an army of spider-bots

I can picture that cover, oddly enough

Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #132
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Ugh. The art in the Superior Spider-Man #6 preview looks awful. I can't get over how bad Ramos' anatomy is.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #133
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
Something occurred to me when I saw the preview for Superior Spider-Man #4 and which, having read the issue, I believe this issue is starting to lay the ground work for. Some of the reactions I've seen about Doc Ock as Spider-Man are saying that he's more efficient and organized than Peter Parker ever was, that he's doing things Peter should have considered doing like his spider-bot surveillance system and what have you. Likewise, the suggestion that because Peter allowed Massacre to live, then Peter is the one responsible for those deaths, including that of Dr. Kafka, and that Doc Ock will then have a more effective solution to making sure Massacre doesn't kill again (and it won't be death because that would be too easy and obvious). The message seems to be that maybe Doc Ock really is a "Superior Spider-Man" than Peter.

To that I say this: you're being played.

Let's not forget this is Doctor Octopus, someone who is well-established as being a megalomaniac and control-freak. His going ballistic over the fact that Peter never got his doctorate should be a reminder of this. Likewise, when he talks about having "eight-thousand eyes" to watch over the people of New York, or that he's going to "end" Massacre once and for all--that's supposed to unnerve you. Let's also not forget that, in spite of how annoying Ghost Peter is, he's the only person who is keeping Otto in check. So what happens if he's not around to do so? Yes, Doc Ock is now playing the role of a "superhero," someone who has adopted Peter's creed of "with great power comes great responsibility." But think on this: while that mantra can be a call to action for civic duty and humanitarianism, it can also be twisted into the slogan for the tyrant and the fascist, someone who can use it as a means to justify oppression in the name of law and order.

And this is where I believe Slott is ultimately taking Doc Ock as Spider-Man, that because he's now adopted Peter's code of personal and civic responsibility, he will ironically become a greater menace.
Aloha,
Well said. Ultimately, we must NEVER forget that this man is a criminal and murderer who is in hiding in the body of a super hero.That fact alone means that he cannot raise to the level of a hero.Once it fully dawns on Ock how much crime he can get away with using the powers of Spider-Man, then what?
Spidey rules

Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #134
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Issue 6 preview

Quote:
Also next month, on March 20 in SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #6, the "new" Spidey faces a decidedly different threat in the form of Screwball and Jester. Artist Humberto Ramos makes his SUPERIOR debut and we've got your first look below!

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #6
Written by DAN SLOTT
Art by HUMBERTO RAMOS
• The new super villain duo, Jester and Screwball, are punking heroes across the Internet.
• And now they’ve set their site on the Superior Spider-Man (who is so not good with that)
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
On Sale March 20
The art looks good to me. Especially the page of Peter looking at Ock's memories.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #135
Smoke87
Side-Kick

Art looks good on those previews. Digging it a lot.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #136
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

I've never liked Ramos art, and I definitely don't like what I'm seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrosis Boy View Post
Ben Affleck's body is similar to mine, although my face is much more masculine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gu3ree View Post
This isn't to blame Cavill, but Goyer and Snyder, Superman doesn't manage to save 10,000 people. He doesn't come out as a big hero in the movie. he's just pissed at General Zod. He isn't necessarily concerned about the people.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #137
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

It's not terrible. The worst part is Spidey's legs in some of those scenes. It looks like they have atrophy. Ramos has a tendency to do that with limbs.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #138
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Who's the tiny lady?

Old 02-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #139
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

Looks like somebody Otto sees getting bullied, triggering memories of it happening to him.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #140
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

I always liked Ramos art. I love seeing more insight into Otto's past, and how this new life as Spider-Man keeps raking up painful memories for him.

- The Joker
Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #141
shinlyle
King of the Haters

Well, 4 issues in, and I'm still loving it. Ock realizing he doesn't truly "know" Vulture in issue 3 was great, and seeing how he reacted to Peter's "shortcomings" was great.
Stillanerd is right. We are being played SO HARD. He is really trying to be a hero, but he can't put aside his need to have his name be the one praised. He's going to have something happen ala Gwen's death, and we're going to see him fall apart under it. POSSIBLY Carlie Cooper. Maybe he deliberately puts her in harm's way in an attempt to save her and win back her trust, only to overlook some detail, and she will die.
Personally, I think we're going to see a better told version of "Shadowland" from Daredevil. Spidey's going to go off of the deep end, and we're going to see the Avengers team up to bring him down, and then no one will trust him again.

Either way, so long as it is all well done, I'm okay with it.

Check out my art!
http://shinlyle.deviantart.com/
Old 02-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #142
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

I think the lady is really short, and people are making fun of her because of that.

I really like Superior so far, and I'm curious to see how it will end. I do think issue 4 wasn't as good as the other though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrosis Boy View Post
Ben Affleck's body is similar to mine, although my face is much more masculine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gu3ree View Post
This isn't to blame Cavill, but Goyer and Snyder, Superman doesn't manage to save 10,000 people. He doesn't come out as a big hero in the movie. he's just pissed at General Zod. He isn't necessarily concerned about the people.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #143
RustyCage
Come what may..

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomSpawn View Post
Ugh. The art in the Superior Spider-Man #6 preview looks awful. I can't get over how bad Ramos' anatomy is.
I'm not super wild about Ramos, and seeing well-done anatomy can be nice (or at times boring), but well-done anatomy is not the decisive factor of quality art. There are other ways to express things. In some scenarios, an alternate approach would even be superior for making a point.

It's a bit insulting, as a budding artist myself, to see comic art so often criticized solely around this shallow basis, but I'll spare you the rest of the rant.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #144
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

Seeing as how comics are 90% visual, there's really not much you can do about avoiding criticism.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #145
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

Those who haven't read Alpha #1 yet, should. It gives more insight into how Doc will handle the power in the next few months. Don't forget Peter's creation of "Parker Particles"...

Old 02-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #146
Thwip!
Side-Kick

I'm reading Alpha, but i'm not liking the art

Old 02-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #147
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Nolte View Post
Those who haven't read Alpha #1 yet, should. It gives more insight into how Doc will handle the power in the next few months. Don't forget Peter's creation of "Parker Particles"...
Crap! I forgot that came out! I wasn't a fan of the character and was going to pass, but I was going to flip through to see if it was connected to Superior. I guess I should check it out?

Anyway, still digging this storyline! And the reveal of Gobby at the end? Can . Not. Wait!

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Old 02-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #148
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

The interesting part of Gobby coming back is that Peter was one of the few that knows where Harry is. Otto may sell him out or not care like Peter did to protect Harry from Norman.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #149
ben_reilly_s_s
Side-Kick

I just thought of something!
This is THE "First" time that Norman and Miles are both around at the same time in their Goblin and Jackal personae.....
THAT is a showdown I really want to see!

My 3DS friend code: 2492-4192-0317
My XboX GamerTag: KaineKinetic
Old 02-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #150
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

The thing is, did Miles ever deal with the fact that Norman killed Gwen, or does he even know? And was he even aware of Norman pulling the strings on the whole clone thing?

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Closed Thread