The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #351
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 1

Well, if Thanos is the main villain for the sequel, at least we won't have to worry about him being so easily taken out by Iron Man's repulsor blasts or getting slammed around like a rag doll by Hulk.lol

Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #352
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
After what Loki did in The Avengers, it would take a lot more than him coming back to Asgard all bedraggled for Odin to forgive him. Loki not only invaded Earth, which Odin and Thor have protected, but he also incited the wrath of Thanos, a powerful and dangerous enemy to make. Thor and Odin are terminally stupid where Loki is concerned, but even they have to understand the kind of threat he has brought right to Asgard's doorstep. Asgard is now on Thanos' radar in a way it wasn't before, and Loki may well have revealed details that endanger the realm greatly. The Infinity Gauntlet in Odin's vault could entice Thanos to invade Asgard just as his army invaded Earth. (Personally, I'm hoping we'll see a Thanos/Odin/Asgard throwdown when the Mad Titan comes to collect Loki's debts.)
What if this was Loki's plan all along? Get sent back to Asgard have Thanos attack Asgard allowing him to steal the IG to give to Thanos and in return Loki takes control of Asgard after Thanos disposes of Odin and Thor. This could proverbially work because Thor and Odin don't know that he's was in league with Thanos. Granted it's not going to work but whatever war that's coming to Asgard in Thor 2 could be Loki's doing.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #353
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
What if this was Loki's plan all along? Get sent back to Asgard have Thanos attack Asgard allowing him to steal the IG to give to Thanos and in return Loki takes control of Asgard after Thanos disposes of Odin and Thor. This could proverbially work because Thor and Odin don't know that he's was in league with Thanos. Granted it's not going to work but whatever war that's coming to Asgard in Thor 2 could be Loki's doing.
Odin and Thor will find out about Loki consorting with Thanos soon enough. Thor already asked him to confess who his "supplier" was; and now, facing punishment from Odin himself, he'll definitely have to 'fess up. Willingly or unwillingly.

Plus, I can't see (a) Thanos agreeing to give Loki a second chance and a new contract, ever; and (b) Loki keep giving away the most powerful items in the universe to Thanos (Cube and Gauntlet) rather than keeping and using them himself. The trust level between Thanos and Loki --- on *either* side --- has dropped to less than zero after the events of Avengers.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #354
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Thor has already forgiven Loki. In Avengers, he's practically begging Lil' Brudder to just come home and everything will be all right. And even though Odin will likely be righteously pissed that Loki tried to murder him and all (or at least get Laufey to murder him), he might have just enough guilt within him to try and give Loki a second chance.

Thor didn't so much forgive Loki as try to persuade him to call off the invasion in return for going back Asgard. It was much more like someone trying to talk a madman out of going forward with his crazed plans than an offer of absolution. When Loki's answer to Thor's plea was a shiv in the side, the Thunder god had clearly had enough (finally!) and would have kicked his brother's ass if the coward hadn't cut and run.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #355
Gary Griffith
Side-Kick

How's about Avengers 2 opens with Namor attacking the surface world/NYC and SHIELD has to fight him off. Then, as I've mentioned earlier, Carol Danvers has to reveal her true self as a Kree spy/Earth sympathizer and save the day. Later in the film it could be revealed that whatever pissed Namor off was part of Thanos' plan and he could join the Avengers (with Ms. Marvel, Falcon and War Machine) and possibly some GOTG for the final battle.
I know it won't happen, but think it would be cool. Just speculating.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #356
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

To add some fuel to the Ms. Marvel fire, I just checked out some of the hero packs for the upcoming Marvel MMO. The "Avengers Assemble" pack has IM, Hulk, and Cap in their Avengers movie costumes. Ms. Marvel is the 4th member.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #357
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Ms. Marvel is a member of the Avengers Assemble team in the comics, which is made to be similar to the movies, so I don't think that means anything.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #358
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Ms. Marvel is a member of the Avengers Assemble team in the comics, which is made to be similar to the movies, so I don't think that means anything.
Doesn't that mean something?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #359
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Doesn't that mean something?
Exactly. If it's "made to be similar to the movies," the fact that they introduce a character who isn't *known* to be part of the MCU yet is particularly telling. This is how we all started speculating that Falcon was going to be an Avenger in TA2, and it looks very likely to be the case now.

So yeah, I think Ms. Marvel's appearance there counts towards something more than just comic bookery.

Curious, though: what uniform was she wearing in that pack? Classic Warbird, or the more modern "Captain Marvel" unitard, or even old-school Disco Carol?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #360
Chewy
REDACTED

She's Captain Marvel and Spider-Woman is also in the book

And no, I don't think it means much. KSD just likes writing Captain Marvel and Spider-Woman

Old 02-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #361
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Exactly. If it's "made to be similar to the movies," the fact that they introduce a character who isn't *known* to be part of the MCU yet is particularly telling. This is how we all started speculating that Falcon was going to be an Avenger in TA2, and it looks very likely to be the case now.

So yeah, I think Ms. Marvel's appearance there counts towards something more than just comic bookery.

Curious, though: what uniform was she wearing in that pack? Classic Warbird, or the more modern "Captain Marvel" unitard, or even old-school Disco Carol?
She's wearing the more modern Captain Marvel gear.

I just thought it was an interesting choice to include her over, say, Hawkeye or BW.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #362
guy66657
Side-Kick

Quote:
Eh, I believe in striking while the iron is hot; but I figure that if fanboys can (im)patiently wait 4 years between TDK and TDKR, they can do the same for the Avengers films. And yes, it would give more time to build up the MCU with new characters and sequels for the primaries.

True that, but at least we have the solo films inbetween unlike DC's films so far.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #363
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Captain Marvel appears in the MCU soon. Joss loves his strong woman & Carol definitely fits that bill!

Old 02-24-2013, 03:27 AM   #364
Mr. Dent
Banned User

http://whedonesque.com/comments/30493

Quote:
Responding to questions about doing more Shakespeare, Whedon says he doesn't want to do another one exactly like he did Much Ado About Nothing. He says that he needs to keep trying different things from a creative standpoint. From there, the discussion turned to The Avengers sequel.

Whedon: When I first considered doing Avengers 2, my first question was what can I do that's new? Because I can't make it bigger....but I can make it better.

The moderator asks about his philosophy for Avengers 2.
Whedon: Death, death and death. (Crowd applauds madly.)
HEIL WHEDON

Old 02-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #365
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Thanos is death!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #366
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Thanos is death!
I guess that's a bit like how Norman Bates was actually his "mother" in Psycho. He even had the Death skeleton in his mother's room. I imagine Thanos does something similar and, since he's mad, only imagines he's talking to a physical manifestation of Death, whereas it's only his dead mother.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #367
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Thanos is death!
And Thanos courts Death!
And....and...lots of people die around Thanos!

Yeah, I think that's the first "concrete" proof we've had that Thanos is officially the big bad in Avengers 2; for those of you who were still holding a candle for Ultron or MoE or whomever.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #368
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Well, he's being cryptic like that. It could mean others die over the course of the film.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #369
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Well, we all know that if someone dies in the film, they'll most likely die in the comics too .

Old 02-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #370
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Well, he's being cryptic like that. It could mean others die over the course of the film.
It's pretty obvious he's talking about Death and thus Thanos, which is indeed cryptic. Him saying people would die is not being cryptic.

I wonder how they will portray Death though?

Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #371
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Whatever you say, man.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #372
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Posted this in the Ant-Man thread, but it's relevant here, too:

Quote:
Interesting semi-official news about casting:

Mark Julian over at CBM caught a quick report by the AP that Paul Rudd was seen backstage at the Oscars with Chris Evans and Mark Ruffalo, who were also seen with Sam Jackson, RDJ and Jeremy Renner. AP speculated that he might be an "Avenger-in-training":

http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/PAUL-RUDD-AVENGER-IN-TRAINING-4304605.php

Quote:
Paul Rudd could be one of "The Avengers." Yes, some people think so.
Rudd was hanging out backstage at the Oscars with the film's Chris Evans (Captain America) and Mark Ruffalo (The Hulk) when the Oscar show's talent coordinator, Danette Herman, spotted him.

"You look like one," Herman suggested.

Julian went on to say that Edgar Wright has previously mentioned Rudd as a potential Ant-Man. Put two and two together, and we might've found our Ant-Man last night at the Oscars.
What's interesting is that Julian's comment about Wright's comment coupled with this AP speculation could mean not only that Rudd is our Ant-Man, but would also semi-confirm that Ant-Man *will* be an Avenger, as he should be.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #373
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

I would scream like a little fangirl if Rudd got cast.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #374
xeno000
Raining hell from above

That AP thing is meaningless even as a rumor. An actor stood next to a group of other actors and someone said he looked like one of them. Big whoop. It's Hollywood; she'd have said the same about a hundred different guys who were milling about backstage.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #375
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Posted this in the Ant-Man thread, but it's relevant here, too:

What's interesting is that Julian's comment about Wright's comment coupled with this AP speculation could mean not only that Rudd is our Ant-Man, but would also semi-confirm that Ant-Man *will* be an Avenger, as he should be.

yeah but which Ant-Man? i wish that more had been revealed about this flick. heck, Rudd might end up playing Strange (if he's actually playing any marvel character).

Closed Thread