Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #751
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
I seriously don't understand this. I seriously don't.
Just a personal preference. I just don't like the idea of everyone surviving all those years without some casualties or natural deaths.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:50 AM   #752
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
If Han did die the reaction would be real for fans. It'd probably feel like someone you loved actually ****ing died. I'd ****ing hate it, but death isn't super cool. I do fully expect some character to die. Lando would be a big possibility.
Exactly. It's supposed to feel that way when you genuinely care for a character and you see them die. That's emotional connection.

I want these new movies to have some emotional heavy-hitters(like they've had thus far), but that doesn't mean there can't be any good times. If there's never any good times, then the movie becomes a downer.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:35 AM   #753
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Old 02-23-2013, 04:52 AM   #754
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
I seriously don't understand this. I seriously don't.
Nor me. It seems like such a cheap way to infuse some sort of "impact" into the story. If they write a brilliant script that can't function without one of the principle characters dying, then fair enough. But to make it happen for its own sake seems to be missing the point.

I really don't think most people associate the appeal of Star Wars with depressing/angsty plot lines. The OT had just enough 'threat' to provide tension and drama, but there was nothing cynically calculated to pull the heartstrings. Obi Wan's was the only notable death, and that was really a glorious self sacrifice that defeated death itself.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:55 AM   #755
Octoberist
point blank

I don't understand it either. Frankly, it's kinda weird. (no offense to some of the posters here.)

Old 02-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #756
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Don't really follow Anakin Solo from the EU, but if he's anything like I think he is, Chandler Riggs (The Walking Dead) should play him in the movie if he's included, IMO.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:44 AM   #757
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I don't understand it either. Frankly, it's kinda weird. (no offense to some of the posters here.)
Well I can't speak for others but I want the transition to the next generation and the quicker they get rid of the old characters and start exploring things more the better.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #758
Han Solo
Scruffy Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post

Simply amazing!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #759
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Nor me. It seems like such a cheap way to infuse some sort of "impact" into the story. If they write a brilliant script that can't function without one of the principle characters dying, then fair enough. But to make it happen for its own sake seems to be missing the point.

I really don't think most people associate the appeal of Star Wars with depressing/angsty plot lines. The OT had just enough 'threat' to provide tension and drama, but there was nothing cynically calculated to pull the heartstrings. Obi Wan's was the only notable death, and that was really a glorious self sacrifice that defeated death itself.
I think extremes on either side is wrong. It's not cheap. It's all about execution, maybe because you can't imagine a story where that would be done well does not mean it can't, and vice versa. So I agree with you that I trust Michael Ardt to do the right thing. Because at the same time I don't want the old cast around just for fan service/sitting in the background. There could be a point where you are like....what about them did they just leave? Did they just go on vacation. Because we have to focus on the new generation, the torch needs to be passed. And it can be just as cheesy for them to be like: "Well see ya later! We did not die but we will just sit over here while you do the heavy lifting!" It could come across as bad.

Is Star Wars seen as depressing? No not fully. But at the same time each of the films there were massive depressing parts and that's why at first many were unsure of ESB at it's release because of it's whole tone especially at the end. Vader was his father?!!! Han is possibly dead? I mean these people that had to wait 3 years felt angst and slightly sad. It's normal of Star Wars. But not it's primary focus.

You had Obi-Wan die in ANH and it was a sad moment. My parents/friends that were old enough to be around when ESB came out said many were depressed because unlike us they had no idea if Han was going to live or not, some thought he was dead already. It was 3 years later until they learned different. Yoda dies, Vader dies after turning back to the good side. So I will say death is common in Star Wars of loved/bigger characters. Especially side characters which the old cast is going to be. So all of that is natural in the Star Wars world, at the end all of them come together in Ghost form at the end to celebrate so it sort of uplifts everyone.

So the point is, what ever services the story best do it. And either side of this argument could be done equally well.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #760
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:

So Yoda, Vader, and the entire planet of Alderaan weren't notable deaths? K.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #761
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

The reason I mentioned Han dieing in another post was because Ford wanted the character to die in the original films to give him "weight."

As far as deaths, I can see Luke dieing in Episode VII, ala Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in their respective trilogies. Of course, Hamil could continue to be Luke as a Force ghost.

And I'm not big on having EU characters, but if they go the Mara Jade route, I could see Joanne Whalley playing it. She played Sorsha in Willow (also Lucasfilm) and if they made an Heir to the Empire around 88 (five years after Jedi), she would have been the right age. So, she would work now with Hamill.

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #762
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
So Yoda, Vader, and the entire planet of Alderaan weren't notable deaths? K.
I'll rephrase to 'killings'. Yoda died of old age and Vader gave it up after a deathbed conversion, neither of which were depressing. I don't count offscreen atrocities- Alderaan was just to show that the Death Star worked. You may as well be upset by the thought that thousands of people must die of skin cancer on Tattooine every year.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:54 AM   #763
James
Built from Lego

I thought Yoda's death was the saddest of the OT.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:32 AM   #764
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:

Awesome!

I swear though, if there's one word that probably goes along well with the entire franchise so far, it's definitely the term: Anticlimactic.

I say that because when you look at the entire story in one single context, the way that some of the major players die in the end, despite the reasons behind it, are poorly executed in the long run.

Now, I know that this has a lot to do with the fact that the original trilogy was filmed first back during days where CGI and digital effects weren't even available as much as they were during the prequel era, but if you were to go into the franchise in the order that Lucas says that he had originally had in mind, it would feel kind of jarring at times.

The Great Obi-Wan Keneobi, who survived countless epic battles was defeated in the most tamed and lamest of all lightsaber duels.

Darth Sidious, a being who was considered to be the strongest sith lord in history and who was able to go toe to toe with Yoda in a epic battle, was defeated by simply being thrown down a shaft after being caught by surprise.

In a whole, I feel like Star Wars represents the very nature of a love and hate relationship where for all of the great things about it, there are almost as much bad things about it, especially in the "Missed Opportunities" section.

I truly do hope that Episode 7, let alone the new trilogy, takes the franchise to places where it's never been in a good way; and breathes new life into it as well.

Take away all of the politics crap; the corny (and poorly written) love dialogue, the obvious/on-the-nose conversations, etc. Place some maturity into the franchise that could very well claim the top mountain like it had so long ago if used properly.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #765
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:

Totally awesome. Seems unreal that another gif that says VII can be added in a couple of years.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #766
batfreakforever
A real fan

What I'm looking forward to is the reaction from fans, comments like nah you can't beat the original trilogy, this is crap. Some of them say its been going down hill after empire. To me when they turned on George Lucus I lost the respect I ever had for alot of fans. Death threats, saying he's a hack, he's lost it. It's just really sad. These fans never understood star wars in the fist place. - peace out.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #767
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfreakforever View Post
Some of them say its been going down hill after empire.
It has.

Quote:
These fans never understood star wars in the fist place.
Okay.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #768
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

The light saber fights in the prequels were one thing they really did get right.

Btw what is this character "Savage Oppress"? Darth Maul's brother? Just read a bit about him and would love to see that dude somewhere in the new films. Seems totally awesome!

Old 02-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #769
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
The light saber fights in the prequels were one thing they really did get right.

Btw what is this character "Savage Oppress"? Darth Maul's brother? Just read a bit about him and would love to see that dude somewhere in the new films. Seems totally awesome!
Not likely after this season of Clone Wars.

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #770
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
I'll rephrase to 'killings'. Yoda died of old age and Vader gave it up after a deathbed conversion, neither of which were depressing. I don't count offscreen atrocities- Alderaan was just to show that the Death Star worked. You may as well be upset by the thought that thousands of people must die of skin cancer on Tattooine every year.
Lol, rephrasing won't help when they're still touching deaths, which is the point I was making. Also, Vader slowly died from an onslaught of Sidious' sith lightning. So yeah, he was killed. And you might not have been affected by those deaths, but there are a lot of people who were. Even the planet of Alderaan was a sad moment, reflected on by Obi-Wan who heard billions of loves cry out, followed by a sudden silence. My point still stands. Don't even get me started on how sad Yoda's death was.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #771
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Awesome!

I swear though, if there's one word that probably goes along well with the entire franchise so far, it's definitely the term: Anticlimactic.

I say that because when you look at the entire story in one single context, the way that some of the major players die in the end, despite the reasons behind it, are poorly executed in the long run.
I disagree

Quote:

Now, I know that this has a lot to do with the fact that the original trilogy was filmed first back during days where CGI and digital effects weren't even available as much as they were during the prequel era, but if you were to go into the franchise in the order that Lucas says that he had originally had in mind, it would feel kind of jarring at times.
I don't understand. Are you saying it's difficult/impossible to have climatic scenes without CGI?

Quote:

The Great Obi-Wan Keneobi, who survived countless epic battles was defeated in the most tamed and lamest of all lightsaber duels.
Obi-Wan stopped fighting and let Vader cut him down.

Quote:

Darth Sidious, a being who was considered to be the strongest sith lord in history and who was able to go toe to toe with Yoda in a epic battle, was defeated by simply being thrown down a shaft after being caught by surprise.
Ehhhh...yeah, okay... But! Keep in mind, Palpatine didn't really get as insanely powerful as we think of him now until after the film. It's only the EU that's made him God-like. During the films he was powerful compared to everyone else, but none of them were really the Dragon Ball Z level Jedi/Sith we get in our Star Wars fiction these days.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #772
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Lol, rephrasing won't help when they're still touching deaths, which is the point I was making. Also, Vader slowly died from an onslaught of Sidious' sith lightning. So yeah, he was killed. And you might not have been affected by those deaths, but there are a lot of people who were. Even the planet of Alderaan was a sad moment, reflected on by Obi-Wan who heard billions of loves cry out, followed by a sudden silence. My point still stands. Don't even get me started on how sad Yoda's death was.
I 'rephrased' because I acknowledged that I hadn't written what I meant the first time around. There is no need at all for the misplaced sarcasm, rolling eyes, or 'snotty teenager' response.

I sense you are looking for an argument- look elsewhere.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #773
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
What I'm looking forward to is the reaction from fans, comments like nah you can't beat the original trilogy, this is crap. Some of them say its been going down hill after empire. To me when they turned on George Lucus I lost the respect I ever had for alot of fans. Death threats, saying he's a hack, he's lost it. It's just really sad. These fans never understood star wars in the fist place. - peace out.
I must note: Extremes on both sides are equally guilty.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #774
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
I 'rephrased' because I acknowledged that I hadn't written what I meant the first time around. There is no need at all for the misplaced sarcasm, rolling eyes, or 'snotty teenager' response.

I sense you are looking for an argument- look elsewhere.
You sound upset. I wasn't being sarcastic with anything I said in my last post, I just gave you facts. I rolled my eyes because of your childish sarcasm in your other post with the skin cancer on Tatooine thing, when we both know that's not related at all to what I meant from the beginning.

No one's interested enough to try to argue with you, regwec. This is a typical forum discussion and if you're offended by anything I'm saying, move on.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #775
regwec
Shakespearo

I'm not upset, just deeply bored by the petty and unnecessary "lols" and ""s that pervade these forums and kill off any interesting debate.

In any case, my comment was reductio ad absurdum, and not sarcasm.