The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #51
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusPonens View Post
So, yes, people want Supes to inflict pain... but obviously with some (very important) conditions!
Oh, I didn’t mean to imply that folks want Supes to assault innocent bystanders. The pain and suffering should be applied to suitably deserving villains. In broad terms, Superman belongs to the action genre. And super feats like saving a crashing plane or a bus-load of nuns only take you so far. Ultimately, we need some mano-a-mano violence.

Actually, I think I even voted “yes” in the “Should Superman Kill” poll.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #52
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Actually, I think I even voted “yes” in the “Should Superman Kill” poll.
Interesting...

Do you believe that Batman should kill, as well? And under what kinds of circumstances do you think Superman should kill? I assume, for example, that it might be understandable for Superman to kill Zod if Zod is flying around the world wreaking havoc and destroying entire cities. But what about if Superman witnesses a mugger kill Lois Lane? Should Superman kill the mugger point-blank, or should Superman merely turn the mugger into police custody and allow the legal system to do its business?

Old 02-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #53
McLarenMP4
Side-Kick

Quote:
Interesting...

Do you believe that Batman should kill, as well? And under what kinds of circumstances do you think Superman should kill? I assume, for example, that it might be understandable for Superman to kill Zod if Zod is flying around the world wreaking havoc and destroying entire cities. But what about if Superman witnesses a mugger kill Lois Lane? Should Superman kill the mugger point-blank, or should Superman merely turn the mugger into police custody and allow the legal system to do its business?
Superman or Batman shouldn't kill. I really didn't like the scene in SR where Lex's minions were killed because of Supes actions. It just didn't sit right with me.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #54
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Interesting...

The hero killing the villain is as old as storytelling. Of course, this action usually happens in a climactic duel/self-defense context - thus avoiding any charge of deliberate murder (though, it’s effectively a righteous execution via loophole).

Apart from a quibble or two, I thought Nolan handled “the code” reasonably well. Batman doesn’t kill in cold blood. But in extreme circumstances, he’ll take the appropriate and necessary actions (even if they result in collateral damage). Use the same approach for Superman/MOS.

Your macabre Lois hypothetical is a challenge. I’m not sure. Suffice it to say, if you’re killing off the iconic Lois Lane, you’re doing some serious deconstruction of the mythos. At which point, it probably doesn’t matter whether or not Supes keeps to “the code.”

Old 02-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #55
gomez147
You're not just anyone

I read there was an auction of a Lois Lane's Wedding Ring used in Man of Steel

Who is marrying Lois?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #56
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

^ Really ? Maybe Lois was married before ? idk.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #57
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez147 View Post

Who is marrying Lois?
Where??? I want that ring....

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 02-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #58
gomez147
You're not just anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
Where??? I want that ring....

Old 02-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #59
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Maybe she was married to lex?!!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #60
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:

very interesting indeed...
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I can see Lois getting engaged and then along comes Superman and Lois is floored by a man who can do all these wonderful things and then calls off the wedding....

Old 02-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #61
Glassjaw
In training

Quote:
I can see Lois getting engaged and then along comes Superman and Lois is floored by a man who can do all these wonderful things and then calls off the wedding....
I don't know, pulling a move like that doesn't seem like the best way for audiences to fall in love with Lois. Surely it would come across as a pretty shallow thing to do, provided it was a happy marriage I guess. Maybe its a marriage on the rocks, but either way its starting to all seem very convoluted in my head. I'm getting flashbacks of Richard from SR, I'm taking this all with a big handful of salt.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #62
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:

Who is marrying Lois?
Where did you read it?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #63
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Now THAT would be interesting.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #64
HankTheTurtle
Side-Kick

Maybe it was her mother's, and she wears it around her neck. It would be an interesting parallel to the Kryptonian relic Clark wears around his.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #65
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I have 4 theories:

1) Lois marries Clark and knows his secret, maybe like in Smallville

2) Lois is forced to marry Zod or another one of the Kryptonians

3) Lois was previously married

4) The wedding ring was her Mothers

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME

Last edited by BH/HHH; 02-24-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #66
Simo
Side-Kick

Quote:

Who is marrying Lois?
There's no wedding ring listed....
http://www.icollector.com/search.asp...q=man+of+steel

Some props from Lois' apartment though and a shirt worn by Amy Adams but thats about it for Lois.

EDIT: Disregard I just noticed the link hidden talking about items already sold.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #67
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
I don't know, pulling a move like that doesn't seem like the best way for audiences to fall in love with Lois. Surely it would come across as a pretty shallow thing to do, provided it was a happy marriage I guess. Maybe its a marriage on the rocks, but either way its starting to all seem very convoluted in my head. I'm getting flashbacks of Richard from SR, I'm taking this all with a big handful of salt.
I'm not saying that Lois gets a divorce. It's just an engagement ring, there was no mention of a wedding ring that I saw. As far as I'm reading it, she was engaged at some point, and I would guess that when Superman comes along and Lois meets him she is absolutely smitten by him and calls off the wedding as she starts to fall in love with Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
Now THAT would be interesting.
Thanks...I think that would be a great way to explain why she has an engagement ring. I'd love to see something like that. I don't think it would be shallow...I mean she could love her fiance and then be like, "wow....this guy here is really super! Hmmmm....Superman!"

Old 02-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #68
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

That's actually incredibly shallow. Unless the relationship was going downhill before Superman showed up, there's no other way to slice it.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #69
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
That's actually incredibly shallow. Unless the relationship was going downhill before Superman showed up, there's no other way to slice it.
ehhh....sometimes people just fall out of love when your mind is blown and they did say that they were making this movie as REALISTIC as possible, and unfortunately that **** happens ALL THE TIME in the real world

Old 02-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #70
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

And that doesn't make it any less shallow, realistic or not.

EDIT: I mean...unless they don't want us to like Lois...I can't imagine why they would think that doing that would be a good idea.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #71
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
And that doesn't make it any less shallow, realistic or not.
I don't know....I'm just anxious to see how they go about this

Old 02-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #72
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

There are ways they could pull it off that wouldn't make her look bad in the end...but having her be in a relationship just makes things unnecessarily complicated.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #73
fanboiii
disciple of truth

You must be single if you think having a relationship makes things "unnecessarily complicated".

Yeah, Lois is going to spend all her life alone until she meets Superman...

Old 02-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #74
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

And it all depends on what type of person they try to make Lois out to be....there are plenty of interpretations where she is just flat out rude and mean to Clark, so I guess we won't really know until we see the movie

Old 02-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #75
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
You must be single if you think having a relationship makes things "unnecessarily complicated".
Did you actually follow the conversation at all or did you just jump right in?

So you believe that Lois being in a relationship with someone when Superman (you know...the guy who's usually made out to be her one true love) shows up...as opposed to being single...would be less complicated?

Quote:
Yeah, Lois is going to spend all her life alone until she meets Superman...
That whoosh you heard was the point going right over your head.

Quote:
And it all depends on what type of person they try to make Lois out to be....there are plenty of interpretations where she is just flat out rude and mean to Clark, so I guess we won't really know until we see the movie
Which I don't care to see.

Closed Thread