The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #201
MichaelChen
Side-Kick

Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
RDJ and Kingsley are known to have had at least one or two face-to-face meetings on set, so Mandarin might not be a behind-the-scenes kind of guy anymore.
Certainly comic Mandarin isn't a behind the scenes guy. He's more like Bane or Prometheus, someone who will spend just enough time behind the scenes to set things up advantageously for himself, then show up in person and kick your ass.

MichaelChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #202
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
What happens if it stops working while he is wearing it is the question here. I am still not sure how his suits power supply works these days. Apparently his new chest piece is close to everlasting, and yet he was in danger of running out of power in The Avengers.
The armor was draining Tony's arc reactor in The Avengers simply because he had to call on it to do so much. He used every system and all of his armaments (lasers, etc.) to their max, and took a hellish beating on top of that. When he exploded a Leviathan from within he ended up with the armor shredded and drained of a lot of power. Then the Chitauri started in on him. That explains the power issues, at least to my satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelChen View Post
Certainly comic Mandarin isn't a behind the scenes guy. He's more like Bane or Prometheus, someone who will spend just enough time behind the scenes to set things up advantageously for himself, then show up in person and kick your ass.
That's true of the comics Mandarin, but in the MCU he has spent years working behind the scenes to set Tony up for the kill. In all the time the Ten Rings has been working to destroy Stark, from that cave in Afghanistan to helping Vanko get at him in Monaco and onward, the Mandarin did not show himself at all. Obviously he is going to emerge from the shadows, but I wouldn't expect him to openly engage in battle with Tony until the very end of the movie.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #203
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
The armor was draining Tony's arc reactor in The Avengers simply because he had to call on it to do so much. He used every system and all of his armaments (lasers, etc.) to their max, and took a hellish beating on top of that. When he exploded a Leviathan from within he ended up with the armor shredded and drained of a lot of power. Then the Chitauri started in on him. That explains the power issues, at least to my satisfaction.

That's true of the comics Mandarin, but in the MCU he has spent years working behind the scenes to set Tony up for the kill. In all the time the Ten Rings has been working to destroy Stark, from that cave in Afghanistan to helping Vanko get at him in Monaco and onward, the Mandarin did not show himself at all. Obviously he is going to emerge from the shadows, but I wouldn't expect him to openly engage in battle with Tony until the very end of the movie.
But I thought his energy source is suppose to be massive and he didn't seemingly rush to change his chest piece after the battle was over.

I assumed his suit shut down because it was in space, but it didn't seem like it started up once he was back on the ground and awake. Yet it was working when they confronted Loki.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #204
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I think Pepper should get into the armor. The damsel in distress thing is getting kinda lame. Even for a comedic moment, although I think it should be a small action sequence. I don't believe in the idea that women can't be taken seriously doing action without being a pure sex object. Look at Sigourney Weaver through the years, probably my favorite actress. I'd like to see the badass side of Pepper. I think Paltrow can pull that off in a humorous, but legitimate sort of way.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #205
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
With Extremis armor, Tony doesn't have to change into the suit anymore; it just "materializes" around his body.

I know that, I was thinking it was prior to the Extremis.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #206
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
Look at Sigourney Weaver through the years, probably my favorite actress. I'd like to see the badass side of Pepper. I think Paltrow can pull that off in a humorous, but legitimate sort of way.
To be fair, Pepper Potts and Ellen Ripley are not the same character. I don't think we should make all women characters Ripley rip-offs just to avoid the damsels in distress cliche.

Besides, the damsel in distress cliche doesn't have to be viewed as demeaning. It is if it just turns the woman into a helpless plot object. But if used correctly, it can create drama, suspense, and a real threat to something our hero loves (which in this case is a beloved woman because our hero is, of course, a man). In some sense it is simply a result of the fact that most comic book superheroes are men. Maybe you don't like that fact, but its a difficult fact to change in a movie called Iron MAN 3.

The real issue is whether a woman is turned by the story into a simple object rather than a real believable person. If she is a real, believable, strong character, then I have no problem with her being in danger and being saved - it happens to every hero in a sense, and it doesn't negate her strength. If she's not, and she's just a plot device or object, then yeah, I find that demeaning personally.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:57 AM   #207
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Well, it's no Rescue poster...could be a hint I guess.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:32 AM   #208
Mr. Dent
Banned User

^ We already know how it happens.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #209
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Okay, Rescue Armorites: you win.

*If* the current rumor can be believed. There's a guy over at 4chan who's spent the day posting pretty much everything you want to know about the movie, front to back, top to bottom. I won't bother posting the link, but you can probably catch up over in the main IM3 News and Spec Thread. The plot points and everything there *sound* reasonable and legit enough, but it's Some Guy on 4chan Who Claims To Have All The Answers, so the usual caveats about trolling apply.

That being said, here's the particulars he gave for Rescue:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Killian, who heads up AIM and is working with Mandarin's Ten Rings, kidnaps Pepper. They've been trying to develop an arc reactor of their own, and they implant their prototype inside Pepper. When Tony comes to her Rescue, it's literally RESCUE --- "Rapid Evaluation Situation Control Unilateral Enforcer." A variant of XLII. He builds the armor specifically for her to wear to escape from AIM. Leak Guy didn't specify whether she wore it again after the escape.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #210
Mr. Dent
Banned User

We've known that for a while Sam.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #211
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
We've known that for a while Sam.
Not everything. Especially the part about AIM installing an arc reactor in Pepper. And on that note: she's *got* to lose her top for them to carry out that operation, right? Hooray for boobies.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #212
Mr.M
Side-Kick

So do we get boobies before she puts on the armor or now? Then we can add her in and sing, "We saw your boobs." Then again, I guess we got that already in Shakespeare in Love.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #213
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Not everything. Especially the part about AIM installing an arc reactor in Pepper. And on that note: she's *got* to lose her top for them to carry out that operation, right? Hooray for boobies.
This makes sense from the trailer where we see her trapped in some sort of cage device. This all sounds legit to me.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #214
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Can't wait to how Rescue will look in the film!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #215
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Has she actually been confirmed?

Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 AM   #216
Mr. Dent
Banned User

The Rescue armor? It's pretty much confirmed given every single rumor says the same exact thing about it.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #217
StarLord
Tech Noir.

So wait...now Pepper will have an arc reactor in her chest?

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #218
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Whiplash* View Post
So wait...now Pepper will have an arc reactor in her chest?
I'm gonna go back and say "no" on the arc reactor thing as 4chan trolling.

What happened in 4chan the other day is that a guy came in claiming to have a production guide to the armors in IM3. It had an extensive list of armors with very realistic, authentic, believable descriptions, including spoilerific plot points attached to each. *That* guide, most of us here and in the blogosphere seem to believe in. (The international IM3 poster definitely backs up a large part of that.)

But. Shortly thereafter, the discussion was sabotaged by trolls (still claiming to be the OP) who claimed to have seen the whole movie, and they started whipping off plot points and scenes that became increasingly outlandish and are probably absolute B.S.

Bottom line is that the idea about AIM planting an arc reactor in Pepper came from the troll group, not the OP. The OP's production guide leak says only that Tony assembles a version of the Mk 42 on Pepper to aid in her escape from an AIM stronghold, and its official designation is "R.E.S.C.U.E." Again, I'm writing off the arc reactor part to trolling.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #219
Mr. Dent
Banned User

The guy who was posting the guide was not the OP of that thread btw.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #220
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
The guy who was posting the guide was not the OP of that thread btw.
No, but for all intents and practical purposes, he was the OP of the archive that Io posted. The production guide is what started off the firestorm of speculation and trollery.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #221
Comicbookguy339
Side-Kick

After watching the new trailer could there be truth to the rumor that Pepper is given an arc reactor against her will? You can see a number of people starpped down (as is pepper earlier in the trailer) and doctors surrounding them.

Comicbookguy339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #222
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

She definitely gets the Extremis virus injected into her and becomes an "Extremis Soldier." Looks like she's the one judo-throwing that armor on top of the AIM docks.

But I still don't believe there's any evidence she gets an actual arc reactor put inside her. Just Extremis. I think the early leak(s) were just confused about what they were seeing in the AIM labs.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #223
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
She definitely gets the Extremis virus injected into her and becomes an "Extremis Soldier." Looks like she's the one judo-throwing that armor on top of the AIM docks.

But I still don't believe there's any evidence she gets an actual arc reactor put inside her. Just Extremis. I think the early leak(s) were just confused about what they were seeing in the AIM labs.
a still of that was posted, it's definitely a shirtless guy with tattoos on his shoulders. maybe an extremis solider or guy pierce

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #224
Joss Whedon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy339 View Post
After watching the new trailer could there be truth to the rumor that Pepper is given an arc reactor against her will? You can see a number of people starpped down (as is pepper earlier in the trailer) and doctors surrounding them.
Why would they need the arc reactor anyway?

Joss Whedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #225
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss Whedon View Post
Why would they need the arc reactor anyway?
So Gwyneth Paltrow can rip open her blouse and unibeam blast everything in sight.

Hey, I'm paying good money for these tickets!