The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: In hindsight what changes would you do

Quote:
It's more of a matter of applying logic to it. If you look at the very simple concept of Batman too long, you see a rich boy with daddy issues using his money to beat up the poor and mentally sick who are symptoms of a society that Bruce Wayne (could be) arguably contributing to when he spends all his money on fighting symptoms instead of pr the problems. Then it gets into a whole class warfare thing.
No it's not. Because it's not logical for Batman to be able to win the war on crime. What you listed there? All things I very much wish this franchise would have explored. Because that's some of what's most interesting about Bruce and Batman as a character.

Quote:
Nolan made his Batman's mission much more methodical. He not only partners with the cops and DA, he performs surgical strikes meant to completely demolish organized crime and set up a political climate for democratic and legislative change. I'd say a little less "unrealistic" than a guy who fights crime for decades and, usually, fails to see the bigger picture.
Those things are things that either Bruce or Batman have done in the comics. But in the comics, as in the real world, certain types of crime don't just vanish because a major organization is taken down.

Quote:
But that is the beauty of the comics. YOu can take it a step out of the logical and make it more of a mythological, elemental thing.
There's really no reason it couldn't have elements of both. And the comics have, for a long time. The movies kind of got to that point. Not fully, but they danced around it.

Quote:
That is kind of what TAS and even Burton did. Both are fine, but I can see why Nolan wanted to come up with an actual strategy. Also, in the comics, Batman is part of a bigger sci-fi world where the problems extend beyond the criminal. Again, Nolan boils it down to a war on crime. He then creates a fantastic situation that would make the war semi-winnable. It is an interesting alternative.
The "sci fi" problems you speak of...those tend to be criminals he's fighting. They're just more dangerous, freakish criminals. And Batman has an actual strategy in the comics. He fights crime and social injustice on multiple fronts, with multiple tactics, and multiple strategies. He spends his life doing so.

I think it's missing the point to depict Batman as someone who thinks he can win the war on crime and is naiive about this throughout his career. By the time he's established, he more or less knows he can't win. But he has to fight it nontheless.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 02-26-2013 at 04:22 PM.