The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #751
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 3

On front page It says Brett Ratner's version of hercules Is now opening a week after days of future past.This would be good time to see the X-men return to glory beat a film by Ratner.

Bit offtopic but getting lost over solely box office talk Is Bryan's Jack the Giant Slayer Is getting postive reaction to screenings and TV ads are showing postive reaction from
critics.I look forward to seeing It In march and then DOFP next year.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #752
BMM
Side-Kick

Does MGM have something against its own movie, because that sounds like an absolutely idiotic move. In between The Hobbit: There and Back Again, Days of Future Past, and Guardians of the Galaxy? Good luck.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #753
JP
Smelly

I love that people are shocked at the Jack reviews. Bryan has only had one badly reviewed film, and that was Apt Pupil.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #754
Mulholland-Jr
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
On front page It says Brett Ratner's version of hercules Is now opening a week after days of future past.This would be good time to see the X-men return to glory beat a film by Ratner.

Bit offtopic but getting lost over solely box office talk Is Bryan's Jack the Giant Slayer Is getting postive reaction to screenings and TV ads are showing postive reaction from
I'll probably catch it this weekend. It will no doubt be crushed by Oz though.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #755
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Because for the general public its easier to follow 1 movie series than 2 movie series. After DOFP, can you really see these movies doing so well if they keep releasing these X-Men movies every year and they all focuses on different characters, like 1 series is focusing on Wolverine, 1 series is focusing on the 80s X-Men and 1 series is focusing on the original series. Its simply too much.
Nah, I just think you personally have no interest in seeing more spin offs. Which is fine. The general audience arent that slow when it comes to that stuff especially if they are giving us decent movies. Your not giving them credit.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #756
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:

Yeah I saw that on the SHH front page and I went to Rotten Tomatoes to see the reviews of Jack the Giant Slayer.

Hopefully FOX will move DOFP's release date because there's no way DOFP could beat There and Back Again at the opening weekend especially the first movie is about to cross the $1 billion mark in the next 2 weeks!

And I hope Bryan Singer can deliver 2 good back to back movies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Nah, I just think you personally have no interest in seeing more spin offs. Which is fine. The general audience arent that slow when it comes to that stuff especially if they are giving us decent movies. Your not giving them credit.
Of course I have interest watching spin-off movies. I always open The Wolverine section.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 02-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #757
BMM
Side-Kick

I have to admit, when I first saw the trailer for Jack, I thought, "what were they thinking?" In fact, I'm still not fond of the look of the giants, but I'm glad it's getting positive reviews. I don't expect it to do particularly well, but I'll be seeing it this week. I haven't seen a Singer movie in theaters since Superman Returns, and this isn't the kind of movie I would have expected from him, so I'm intrigued.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #758
def28
Side-Kick

Always thought the trailers for Jack And The Giant Slayer were decent until the the war stuff kicked in. Seems like every classic fairy tail has to have one in order to sell these classics as having more action.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #759
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I love that people are shocked at the Jack reviews. Bryan has only had one badly reviewed film, and that was Apt Pupil.
Can't really blame them. The trailers/promotional materials didn't do the film any favors.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 AM   #760
Mulholland-Jr
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Yeah WB doesn't seem to give a **** about it.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 AM   #761
def28
Side-Kick

Yeah, some of the spots do seem confused with how they are pushing the film. Just saw one that had a Deftones song playing with it. Didnt fit at all.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #762
JP
Smelly

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
Yeah WB doesn't seem to give a **** about it.
Really? It's kind of hard to ignore the film. The marketing has been a bit overwhelming.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:09 AM   #763
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
DOFP will change that and you can only truly say that the ship has sailed, once FOX released an X-Men 4 movie and if ends up not doing well at the box-office and movie reviews from the critics/general public. You are only saying that the ship has sailed because you're tired of 1 character but clearly the general public isn't tired of Wolverine.

And Spider-Man 4 and Fantastic Four 3 didn't work simply because the people who were in charge of those movies didn't move forward.

You don't have to have Hugh Jackman in order for Wolverine to exist.

What about the rest of the X-Men? What of their future? So many people are unhappy with the characterization of sooo many characters i.e. Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Jean, the list goes on and on. The actors playing these roles have gotten older and have moved on. The damage to those characterizations is significant and I think we all know deep down that many of these issues will never be fixed with this particular cast/director, etc.

It's too late.

So yes, in that sense the ship has certainly sailed. We are never going to see certain characters portrayed properly as long as they are miscast by the actors playing them, or the actors continue to age physically.

The James Bond and Star Trek series have done exceptionally well even though the previous franchises still had juice in them. Sometimes rebooting a franchise is like refreshing your PC screen--it makes things better and clearer.

I don't understand why some of you are terrified of the idea of rebooting this franchise. Don't you want to see a no-holds barred approach to the Phoenix? What about a truly sci-fi, fantasy-driven adventure not based in "reality"? How about a truly terrifying Weather Goddess, or a Rogue that doesn't mope around from scene to scene, ashamed of who she is? Don't you crave a Cyclops that is actually at the center of the action rather than always MIA for each movie? I mean, come the hell on.

Wolverine has been fleshed out well. But we all know DAMN WELL that the X-Men themselves have yet to arrive. This series has to be reborn.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 02-27-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #764
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm definitely surprised. As much as I am a fan of Singer's the word from friends of mine that have worked on the film seemed to suggest that it wasn't going to be a very good film.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #765
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
What about a truly sci-fi, fantasy-driven adventure not based in "reality"?
It's called DoFP...

I see what you're saying, but this series HAS been rebooted. A reboot doesn't have to mean recasting every character and starting from the beginning again. A reboot can also be taking an existing franchise and moving it in a bold new direction. That's what Fox did when they brought on Singer, Vaughn and Millar to pretty much spearhead their Marvel properties.

They have no plans of rebooting the x-men series the way you want them to, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #766
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
It's called DoFP...

I see what you're saying, but this series HAS been rebooted. A reboot doesn't have to mean recasting every character and starting from the beginning again..
Do you realize that the classic catalogue of X-Men's greatest characters will never be available to us without a true, hard-set reboot? Yeah, the series can move forward with B and C list X-members but...is that what you really want? Cyclops, Storm, Jean, Rogue, etc. have been wasted. We will NEVER see them on the big screen the way they're supposed to be as long as this franchise continues to exist. If you're content with accepting that, then that's fine. I wish I could be so content, but I can't.

Wolverine is not the "X-Men" for me. He's the "X-Men" for FOX.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:30 AM   #767
JP
Smelly

How can you say NEVER? I don't see what's so "never" about anything you just said.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #768
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

I always found it hilarious that FOX felt the need to put "X-Men Origins" in front of "Wolverine" when they had basically already turned the actual X-Men movies into "Wolverine and his Amazing Friends".

Old 02-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #769
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I always found it hilarious that FOX felt the need to put "X-Men Origins" in front of "Wolverine" when they had basically already turned the actual X-Men movies into "Wolverine and his Amazing Friends".
And they say these movie aren't comic accurate!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #770
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
How can you say NEVER? I don't see what's so "never" about anything you just said.
Ok. What leads you to believe we can still receive an accurate portrayal of those classic characters within the parameters of this existing franchise?

Old 02-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #771
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

I couldn't agree with you more, Lightning.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #772
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Ok. What leads you to believe we can still receive an accurate portrayal of those classic characters within the parameters of this existing franchise?
Well for one, we have seen an accurate portrayal of Jean. Not sure why she's listed.

We also have had an accurate portrayal of Scott. He just unfortunately had little screen time. But Marsden was well cast, and the character was right on. Rewatch X1. That's Scott to a t. He lead the team at liberty island. He was fiercely protective of Xavier and Jean, and he was a bit of a douche. Sounds like Scott Summers.

As for the other two you mentioned, I really don't see why you feel those characters are confined. It's not hard to change a characters personality. Especially when time travel and multiple universes are involved...

Old 02-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #773
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
As long as they release good movies for the original series, I'd be content. Plus bring on Apocalypse/Mr.Sinister/Psylocke/Bishop/Forge/Sunfire/Polaris with the original cast for the next trilogy. Can't wait for that to happen!

We are never ever gonna get accurate portrayal of these classic characters, its since been the situation since 2000 but as long as they consistently release good and entertaining movies that are doing well at the box-office and receiving positive reviews from the critics and general public. I'm not gonna demand for a reboot.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:02 AM   #774
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Do you realize that the classic catalogue of X-Men's greatest characters will never be available to us without a true, hard-set reboot? Yeah, the series can move forward with B and C list X-members but...is that what you really want? Cyclops, Storm, Jean, Rogue, etc. have been wasted. We will NEVER see them on the big screen the way they're supposed to be as long as this franchise continues to exist. If you're content with accepting that, then that's fine. I wish I could be so content, but I can't.

Wolverine is not the "X-Men" for me. He's the "X-Men" for FOX.
Yeah, Whatever happens after DOFP, its has got to put itself in a better position to be more comic accurate and develop the X Men. They gain nothing from straying from that and just shoot themselves in the foot. They cant bring Scott and Jean back (which is what everyone wants) without doing some sort of rewrite of history anyways. So hopefully this all pans out for the better and is rebooted in some form be it the OT cast, FC Cast or new actors. Things cant stay the same for the modern team, thats for sure.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:29 AM   #775
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

If they decided to use the modern team aka the original cast for the next movie after DOFP, I am expecting it to be different to the original trilogy and there will be new characters whether its a villain or an ally. I always have this vision for the original cast that they would face a lot of enemies and mutants, that their adventure isn't just limited to a trilogy, for every movie a new mutant will join the X-Men and it isn't just about X-Men vs the Brotherhood and it isn't just Wolverine, Prof X and Magneto. I hope one day they would continue the original series with X4, X5 and X6 and I hope the focus of those movies won't be Wolverine, Prof X and Magneto anymore.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 02-27-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Closed Thread