The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Arrow

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #51
Justin
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 261
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

I'm not too convinced that they aren't going to pull something similar to the two deathstrokes thing with Speedy. There seems more evidence suggesting it will be Thea than Roy. Look at the facts.

Thea : First name obviously a play on Mia, middle name is Dearden, Mia's surname. Has an archery trophy in her room, suggesting a champion archer. Has drug issues. Has a much deeper connection to Ollie. Shows guts (glades late at night etc) and investigative skills (tracking down Roy) Is called Speedy. Actress suggested that she was going to be Speedy, which is part of why he she signed up for the show.

Roy : Is playing Roy. Wears a red hoodie. Has a poor/rich thing going on. Shows athletic ability.

They are obviously going to be romantically involved. While I'm not saying they are going to do two Speedy's at all, the writers like to surprise people in the know with how they adapt characters.

I get the "if thea dies, he can take her name" but as far as I can see the actress enjoys the show, and is the key identifiable figure for their target demographic of teenage girls. I think to write her off completely as being Speedy eventually is a bit premature. Maybe she will be the "second speedy" as Mia was in the comic books, depends how far into the future they are looking.


Last edited by Justin; 02-26-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #52
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 5,862
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

^Very good points. I like the way they're redoing the mythos. Very cool.

__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas -
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #53
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!
 
TheWiseGuy487's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,555
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I'm not too convinced that they aren't going to pull something similar to the two deathstrokes thing with Speedy. There seems more evidence suggesting it will be Thea than Roy. Look at the facts.

Thea : First name obviously a play on Mia, middle name is Dearden, Mia's surname. Has an archery trophy in her room, suggesting a champion archer. Has drug issues. Has a much deeper connection to Ollie. Shows guts (glades late at night etc) and investigative skills (tracking down Roy) Is called Speedy. Actress suggested that she was going to be Speedy, which is part of why he she signed up for the show.

Roy : Is playing Roy. Wears a red hoodie. Has a poor/rich thing going on. Shows athletic ability.

They are obviously going to be romantically involved. While I'm not saying they are going to do two Speedy's at all, the writers like to surprise people in the know with how they adapt characters.

I get the "if thea dies, he can take her name" but as far as I can see the actress enjoys the show, and is the key identifiable figure for their target demographic of teenage girls. I think to write her off completely as being Speedy eventually is a bit premature. Maybe she will be the "second speedy" as Mia was in the comic books, depends how far into the future they are looking.
Interesting observations. I never noticed those before.

I love how this show throws in those little background details integral to certain characters that could possibly become important later on.

__________________
You wanted to be the hero. Now you gotta pay the price.

5-.-2-.-14
_______________________

TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #54
Justin
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 261
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseGuy487 View Post
Interesting observations. I never noticed those before.

I love how this show throws in those little background details integral to certain characters that could possibly become important later on.
Yes, there is so many background details in this show. The trophy was shown in her room in the pilot. Her middle name revealed in court. It's blink and you miss it stuff.

I really do like the way they actively play with what people already know. In the deathstroke case, most people seemed to like what they did. I expect we'll like what they do with Roy, Thea and Speedy. I'm expecting something more unpredictable than just "roy becomes red arrow" personally, although I'd be happy with that .

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #55
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,648
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

I would personally prefer it if Roy to become Ollie's sidekick instead of Thea.

Shikamaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:33 AM   #56
bbf2
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: CA
Posts: 1,136
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

I have to say I'm kind of dreading the fact that we are now going to be spending a decent amount of screentime on a romance between teenagers. I know it's the CW but so far the show has mostly focused on superhero stuff and non-romantic drama and felt very un-CW like. And to have it be "rich girl falls in love with misunderstood lower class badboy" is just...ugh. I didn't even really mind the Tommy/Laurel romantic stuff (even though that plotline is ultimately kind of pointless) because I thought the writers did a good job having them both act like reasonable adults. But a teen angst romance storyline, especially one with such a cliche spin, is something I'm not looking forward to at all. It would have been so much more interesting for Oliver to be the one to meet Roy first and try to mentor him or something.

Also, based on what we've seen so far I really can't think of any way the writers could possibly come around to having him and Oliver becoming friends, much less teammates. If my little sister started dating some lowlife douchebag petty criminal that she first met because he stole something from her, there is absolutely zero way I would ever become friends with that person no matter how compelling his sob story is.

Although I guess I am sort of glad they're giving her someone her own age to date. After episode 6 I thought they were trying to set up the possibility of her ending up with Tommy, which I found totally wrong and disturbing.


Last edited by bbf2; 02-27-2013 at 01:39 AM.
bbf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:20 AM   #57
mr. peasant
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,915
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Yes, there is so many background details in this show. The trophy was shown in her room in the pilot. Her middle name revealed in court. It's blink and you miss it stuff.

I really do like the way they actively play with what people already know. In the deathstroke case, most people seemed to like what they did. I expect we'll like what they do with Roy, Thea and Speedy. I'm expecting something more unpredictable than just "roy becomes red arrow" personally, although I'd be happy with that .
Personally, I think most reasonable people would be satisfied with most story developments as long it is interesting and executed well; which in the case of the Wilson vs Wintergreen story, it was.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I would personally prefer it if Roy to become Ollie's sidekick instead of Thea.
Considering we've only just met the character, why so? And please, don't say it's because Thea's a girl.

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #58
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,648
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

Because Thea should spend her time cooking in and cleaning up Ollie's Arrowcave .

Just kidding.

Roy was always my favorite of the Green Arrow sidekicks . Plus he seems like a better choice for a sidekick since he seems to have some experience required for being a vigilante (we see him easily jump that fence plus he lives in the glades). Thea becoming his sidekick would take away from the realism of the show and seem a bit silly since she has no experience with anything whatsoever. Yes, she does have that archery trophy in her room but I think the writers have shot themselves in the foot here by not bringing that up by now. It seems really odd that she would coincidentally be good at archery just like her brother and even odder that no one including Oliver has said anything up till now. By this point, her telling Oliver she has archery skills when/if she finds out he is Green Arrow would seem really contrived IMO because there was nothing foreshadowing this. On the other hand, someone like Laurel becoming Black Canary would feel more natural because we've already seen some foreshadowing to this and some of her skills.


Thea becoming the sidekick would also be very predictable in comparison for both comic book fans and the general viewers with Roy becoming the sidekick instead.

For the general viewers, the protagonist's sister becoming his sidekick might not a twist that will surprise them too much while the great thing about having Roy, especially from the way they introduced him, is that you have no way of knowing he will eventually fight by Ollie's side unless you do research on Green Arrow comics.

For comic book fans, it would be a twist in the same way Merlyn was a twist. At the beginning of the show, we all thought Tommy would be the one that will become Ollie' archenemy only to find out later that they had plans for the real Merlyn all along and that they were just screwing with us.

Shikamaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #59
Ethermatic
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 240
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

Since learning that Roy Harper was going to be introduced into the show I've been under the impression that he's going to become Red Arrow without ever being known as Speedy. It would make sense that they would forgo that transition because they'll be giving that name to Thea when she joins in on the fun. The red hoodie he wore in his introductory episode solidified that thought in my mind.

Now what I'm curious about is how they'll be brought into the fold. It's easy to imagine Oliver not being all that impressed with Roy once they cross paths. From what I've heard, Roy will be crossing paths with The Vigilante before directly meeting Oliver. In a picture I saw from Colton's Twitter he was in costume and all bloody while Amell was in his Arrow gear. We'll see what happens.

Roy will have to impress Oliver somehow. I can see him saving someone's life. Thea's, more than likely. I'm also wondering if Roy will figure out who The Vigilante is on his own, if he and Thea will figure it out together, or if Oliver will reveal it on his own. Of course, that probably won't be happening until sometime in the second or third season. Things seem to move quickly on this show.

Ethermatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #60
mr. peasant
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,915
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Roy was always my favorite of the Green Arrow sidekicks . Plus he seems like a better choice for a sidekick since he seems to have some experience required for being a vigilante (we see him easily jump that fence plus he lives in the glades). Thea becoming his sidekick would take away from the realism of the show and seem a bit silly since she has no experience with anything whatsoever. Yes, she does have that archery trophy in her room but I think the writers have shot themselves in the foot here by not bringing that up by now. It seems really odd that she would coincidentally be good at archery just like her brother and even odder that no one including Oliver has said anything up till now. By this point, her telling Oliver she has archery skills when/if she finds out he is Green Arrow would seem really contrived IMO because there was nothing foreshadowing this. On the other hand, someone like Laurel becoming Black Canary would feel more natural because we've already seen some foreshadowing to this and some of her skills.
I think that is a fair assessment of the situation. Due to Willa Holland's size and build, it would seem unwieldy and clumsy to see her take on guys twice her size unless she pulls a Summer Glau and have some dance/gymnastics background which she can use to add a touch of grace to the choreography. However, I disagree that it is somehow "predictable" for Thea to become Oliver's sidekick.

As for Roy, all that we've seen of him is that he's athletic enough to scale over a fence - a skill typical of your run-of-the-mill snatch thief. It tells us nothing of his fighting ability. Also, bear in mind that at this point in time, he is at best a guest/recurring character no more significant than Walter Steele; meaning he may or may not stick around for long and/or make regular appearances.

Lastly, with all this debate of Roy or Thea, who's to say that Oliver even needs/wants/will take on a sidekick? Even if he was to do so, there is already a more than qualified candidate in the running - Diggle. If Oliver ever decides he needs a wing-man in the field, he'd probably just ask Diggle.


Last edited by mr. peasant; 02-27-2013 at 04:24 PM.
mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #61
godisawesome
Side-Kick
 
godisawesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,329
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

Maybe Thea will be Speedy the archer while Roy will become a more flexible in weapons usage Arsenal. Best of both worlds, kind of like Young Justice with Red Arrow and Arsenal.

__________________
“There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

-C.S. Lewis
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #62
Ryder
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 167
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethermatic View Post
Since learning that Roy Harper was going to be introduced into the show I've been under the impression that he's going to become Red Arrow without ever being known as Speedy. It would make sense that they would forgo that transition because they'll be giving that name to Thea when she joins in on the fun. The red hoodie he wore in his introductory episode solidified that thought in my mind.

Now what I'm curious about is how they'll be brought into the fold. It's easy to imagine Oliver not being all that impressed with Roy once they cross paths. From what I've heard, Roy will be crossing paths with The Vigilante before directly meeting Oliver. In a picture I saw from Colton's Twitter he was in costume and all bloody while Amell was in his Arrow gear. We'll see what happens.

Roy will have to impress Oliver somehow. I can see him saving someone's life. Thea's, more than likely. I'm also wondering if Roy will figure out who The Vigilante is on his own, if he and Thea will figure it out together, or if Oliver will reveal it on his own. Of course, that probably won't be happening until sometime in the second or third season. Things seem to move quickly on this show.
Ditto
Quote:
Thea becoming the sidekick would also be very predictable in comparison for both comic book fans and the general viewers with Roy becoming the sidekick instead.
Well, Its a comic book show lots of the outcomes are predictable. Its more about the execution than anything. Actually its a lot less predictable since Thea is sort of a newer character and her future is sort of uncertain.

Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:34 AM   #63
DrRocket
Side-Kick
 
DrRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,338
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

I present to you ARSENAL!.... Or okay photoshop.

http://postimg.org/image/yl8n6dzc9/

__________________
Heads up to Wozzly for all the great Fan fics [Radioactive].
DrRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #64
ArcherFan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 80
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
I present to you ARSENAL!.... Or okay photoshop.

http://postimg.org/image/yl8n6dzc9/
Well done!

However, you do realize that now everyone is going to be complaining about HIS Eye makeup. :P

ArcherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #65
DrRocket
Side-Kick
 
DrRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,338
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

^ lol, I didn't make that, just found it in the net I wish I was that good.

__________________
Heads up to Wozzly for all the great Fan fics [Radioactive].
DrRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #66
TheUnknownX
Find x.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 116
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

If he does become Red Arrow/Arsenal, they should give him the young justice look. With the physical mask.






TheUnknownX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #67
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator
 
Hunter Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Camp Manuel
Posts: 137,479
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

I think this is his current look in the comics, it doesn't offer a lot of identity protection.




__________________
thinkmcflythink.com
Movie fans, hop in your Delorean and check it out!

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:09 AM   #68
DrRocket
Side-Kick
 
DrRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,338
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

^ a cap? I don't think they are gonna give him a cap tbh

__________________
Heads up to Wozzly for all the great Fan fics [Radioactive].
DrRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #69
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero
 
ChrisBaleBatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shadow Moses
Posts: 18,622
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

I hope not.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #70
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!
 
Lencho01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 15,176
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

I'm pretty sure they won't give him a cap.

__________________
I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #71
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 44,999
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

The Young Justice outfit, combined with the hood, would be ace.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #72
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero
 
ChrisBaleBatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shadow Moses
Posts: 18,622
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I'm not too convinced that they aren't going to pull something similar to the two deathstrokes thing with Speedy. There seems more evidence suggesting it will be Thea than Roy. Look at the facts.

Thea : First name obviously a play on Mia, middle name is Dearden, Mia's surname. Has an archery trophy in her room, suggesting a champion archer. Has drug issues. Has a much deeper connection to Ollie. Shows guts (glades late at night etc) and investigative skills (tracking down Roy) Is called Speedy. Actress suggested that she was going to be Speedy, which is part of why he she signed up for the show.

Roy : Is playing Roy. Wears a red hoodie. Has a poor/rich thing going on. Shows athletic ability.

They are obviously going to be romantically involved. While I'm not saying they are going to do two Speedy's at all, the writers like to surprise people in the know with how they adapt characters.

I get the "if thea dies, he can take her name" but as far as I can see the actress enjoys the show, and is the key identifiable figure for their target demographic of teenage girls. I think to write her off completely as being Speedy eventually is a bit premature. Maybe she will be the "second speedy" as Mia was in the comic books, depends how far into the future they are looking.
Good points. Very good points.

And if anything, part of the enjoyment with 'Arrow' has been the subversion of expectations on certain characters and versions, that has been interesting. I would have been any amount of money that Canary would have been Laurel at the start of the season.

They're carving out their own path. So, I could see them surprising us with how they handle 'Speedy'.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #73
DrRocket
Side-Kick
 
DrRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,338
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
The Young Justice outfit, combined with the hood, would be ace.
Yep. Still hope to see sports master and Artemis come onto the show

__________________
Heads up to Wozzly for all the great Fan fics [Radioactive].
DrRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #74
Crossvale
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 80
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

I like the young justice look with a hood

Crossvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #75
TheUnknownX
Find x.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 116
Default Re: The Roy Harper/Colton Haynes Thread!

The hood would be fine, but please don't let them call him "Red Hood"


TheUnknownX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.