The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #26
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR?

Personally, I consider the trilogy as a whole as of late because I can't choose anymore which film I like the most. I watch BB, I love that; I watch TDK, I love that; I watch TDKR, I love that. Same way I am with Lord of the Rings.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #27
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilIsMe View Post
What gives? Is this a vocal minority internet bandwagon-hate or is this 'The Dark Knight Rises's reputation now?
I don't get on bandwagons. I love many films the majority hates, and hate many films that the majority loves. I personally do not like TDKR. The movie does not work for me. If it does for you and others...great. But you need to except one little fact of life....not everyone will agree with you on every opinion you have. I don't like TDKR, you do....it doesn't bother me in the least. I probably love a movie you hate...doesn't bother me in the least.

Liking a movie....is not a contest. It's a personal thing.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #28
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

It's a conspiracy. I've heard the Langley had something to with it. They want to smear Rises' reputation for spilling the beans (accidentally) on a similar prison pit at the hands of the CIA in an undisclosed location.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #29
RustyCage
Come what may..

The loud minority tend to exaggerate things. ('Pee-colored lenses', anyone?)

I have my nitpicks with it, but I would never call it terrible.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #30
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
The loud minority tend to exaggerate things.
Agreed.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #31
RustyCage
Come what may..

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I don't get on bandwagons. I love many films the majority hates, and hate many films that the majority loves. I personally do not like TDKR. The movie does not work for me. If it does for you and others...great. But you need to except one little fact of life....not everyone will agree with you on every opinion you have. I don't like TDKR, you do....it doesn't bother me in the least. I probably love a movie you hate...doesn't bother me in the least.

Liking a movie....is not a contest. It's a personal thing.
If only the mainstream treated it this way...

Everyone's so caught up being a self-righteous trumpet-tooting extremist. Society is kind of embarrassing sometimes.

This isn't to say I mind exchanging differing opinions, but that alone is not really the problem here.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #32
The Guard
Side-Kick

I don't think "everyone" IS slamming TDKR. I think people are just tired of stating the obvious about it (that it was an entertaining movie), and would rather discuss its intricacies. And those include its flaws, missed opportunities, etc.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 02-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #33
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
If only the mainstream treated it this way...

Everyone's so caught up being a self-righteous trumpet-tooting extremist. Society is kind of embarrassing sometimes.

This isn't to say I mind exchanging differing opinions, but that alone is not really the problem here.
That's the point I try to make everyday on the Hype in all forums. You can disagree with someone's opinion without being rude about it.

Many people love TDKR. That's great, I like it when any comic related movie is loved. But I personally do not like it. And that does NOT make me an idiot, unintelligent, closeminded, or whatever else I have been called for stating my opinion. If you read my posts, you will see that I have never called anyone an idiot, unintelligent, closeminded, or anything else because they loved it. I can disagree with someone, without being mean. I really wish more people on here would try doing that.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #34
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Yeah, if there's one thing that has been a bit of a letdown for me regarding TDKR it's that the fanbase became more divided where it was formally more united. That's a bit sad to me, since this Nolan series in particular has made me feel a lot of solidarity with fellow Bat-fans/nerds/pop culture lovers over the years. But the remedy for that is indeed respecting the opinions of others, which is of course is always a two-way street.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 02-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #35
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
What makes you think that though just because a few posters here and there that views the film in a more negative light?
Gosh no. It's a lot bigger than that. I'm talking about across the net. Much like the OP said, he/she sees it everywhere now. It's been on the increase for the last few months. Especially since it came out on DVD.

- The Joker
Old 02-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #36
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Meh , as long as you like it.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #37
TheDevilIsMe
Banned User

Quote:
But you need to except one little fact of life....not everyone will agree with you
Who said I don't accept it?

All I'm pointing out is internet commentary has had a dramatic shift from positive to negative - I was asking why and what it possibly indicates. That's all.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #38
TheDevilIsMe
Banned User

It's just one thing that irks me is I've even seen people give the film a good BluRay review but mention 'even though it was panned by the press and some hardcore fans...I still loved it!'

That's my issue - internet flack can hijack a film's legacy for alot of people, at times. They take it as the majority voice and the consensus.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #39
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:

All I'm pointing out is internet commentary has had a dramatic shift from positive to negative - I was asking why and what it possibly indicates. That's all.
Its his popularity.

Batman popularity

The Dark Knight popularity

and Christopher Nolan popularity.

Popular stuff tends to get torn apart.

If it's fair or not i dont know. That's something each one as to ask himself.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #40
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

^^ The irony is that in the rush to get ahead of the curve, they full circle right back behind the curve.

Speaking strictly about people who are bandwagon hoppers and just want to have the cool opinion, not anyone in particular here. Because face it, those people are definitely out there.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 02-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #41
TheDevilIsMe
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Speaking strictly about people who are bandwagon hoppers and just want to have the cool opinion, not anyone in particular here. Because face it, those people are definitely out there.
Definitely.

Those that legitimately didn't like something are excluded from this, as those that legitimately love something.

And when I say 'Internet flack/hate/whiners' - I mean the comments/statements like;

"TDKR was EFFING TERRIBLE! Ruined the entire series thanks Nolan you douche!"
"TDKR is a piece of epic *****t! Nolan needs to have his ass kicked for screwing up Batman!"

Basically, that sort of stuff. I'm seeing it alot. And some more tame versions, of course.

Last edited by TheDevilIsMe; 02-28-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #42
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
You did.

You made a thread all about how you can't understand how people could be critical of the movie. If you had accepted the fact that other people can feel differently than you do about a movie, then you wouldn't have needed to make the thread.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #43
TheDevilIsMe
Banned User

Quote:
You did.

You made a thread all about how you can't understand how people could be critical of the movie. If you had accepted the fact that other people can feel differently than you do about a movie, then you wouldn't have needed to make the thread.

Everyone else seems to get the point of a thread. I'm not going to re-explain it to you.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #44
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCadaver49 View Post
Sure, I agree.

So you're saying that the fan hate (because, really, I think only Bat fans actually hate TDKR; the GA liked it) is because the movie has a lot of stunning and well executed material?

Or are you saying it was packed with too much content? Because I can agree with the latter wholeheartedly.
Well for one, yes, I do think there was too much going on in TDKR and obviously some things were skimmed over because of the IMAX time limitations. But what I meant was, for all the rapid haters; it seems like they can't even give props to the stuff that works in TDKR. I have my own issues with the film, but to say that it's 100% a failure is kind of absurd.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #45
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

My theory…

Some fans had a serious, philosophical objection to Nolan fashioning a “Batman ends” - a definitive, no-turning-back conclusion to the Bruce Wayne arc. As such, other parts of the movie (that, under different circumstances, might have been allowed as artistic license or forgiven as minor flaws) were exaggerated into egregious missteps.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #46
TheDevilIsMe
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
I have my own issues with the film, but to say that it's 100% a failure is kind of absurd.
Precisely. I have many issues with the film myself - but for some to claim that it was panned or is considered a terrible film is absurd - or to call it a failure is a bit in the realm of hyperbole.

'The Hobbit' has been getting raked over the coals lately, as well I've noticed.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #47
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
Well for one, yes, I do think there was too much going on in TDKR and obviously some things were skimmed over because of the IMAX time limitations. But what I meant was, for all the rapid haters; it seems like they can't even give props to the stuff that works in TDKR. I have my own issues with the film, but to say that it's 100% a failure is kind of absurd.
I agree, and I've said as much in this thread. However, everyone has different opinions on what "works" in the film, and how much, so it's kind of hard to discount "haters" that don't give props to things that you might think the movie did well.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #48
TheDevilIsMe
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCadaver49 View Post
I agree, and I've said as much in this thread. However, everyone has different opinions on what "works" in the film, and how much, so it's kind of hard to discount "haters" that don't give props to things that you might think the movie did well.
It's also wrong to label someone a 'hater' when the topic is usually film criticism. 9 times out of 10 - anyone will write something that's wrong. That's what the discussions are about.

There's a difference between criticism and vitriol, though. And that's what I was talking about in general - there's vitriol in the place of good criticism. There's far more posters online tearing the film to bits in a gleeful manner - and when they do so in that manner is when they get labelled a 'hater'.

Last edited by TheDevilIsMe; 02-28-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #49
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Quote:
Precisely. I have many issues with the film myself - but for some to claim that it was panned or is considered a terrible film is absurd - or to call it a failure is a bit in the realm of hyperbole.

'The Hobbit' has been getting raked over the coals lately, as well I've noticed.
Yeah, but that movie deserves it.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #50
Victarion
Cut

I can't help but recall how people responded when the picture of Talia leaked in the Summer of 2011. Then Nolan made his comment about other villains being watered down versions of the Joker. I think Nolan's comments and choice of villains rubbed some people the wrong way. No one expected Bane and Talia; Penguin, Catwoman and Riddler were all very popular choices in the months before Nolan announced Bane and Catwoman as the villains.

Then, as Joker says, some may just not feel the movie measures up to the standards set by the previous two. The people who just "slam" it without giving a reason are likely looking to see if the Batboard folk live up to their reputation.

Closed Thread