The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #76
Guerrilla
Side-Kick
 
Guerrilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 672
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

I liked Howard as Rhodey, he seemed like a genuine friend to Tony. Then again, I feel the same way about Cheadle. Cheadle does come off a little more militaristic though. Cheadle looks pretty big in this photo. His arms dwarf RDJ's.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #77
Anubis
Sup?
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Nile Delta
Posts: 66,859
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

As far as what this actual thread is about, eh, I didn't really care either way about either of em. They were just kinda.....there.

__________________
Quote:
"Great, now I have to take over a whole planet because of your stupid boobs."
-Rick from Rick and Morty
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #78
Mr. Dent
 
Mr. Dent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,351
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
I liked Howard as Rhodey, he seemed like a genuine friend to Tony. Then again, I feel the same way about Cheadle. Cheadle does come off a little more militaristic though. Cheadle looks pretty big in this photo. His arms dwarf RDJ's.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Yeah they do look pretty big there. Might just be how he has his arms hugged to his body though.

I just see Howard's acting in Dead Man Down and think about how good he could have been as Rhodes had he had more time. I'm still a little confused on what exactly happened between him and Marvel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
As far as what this actual thread is about, eh, I didn't really care either way about either of em. They were just kinda.....there.
The reason why I started this now is because it seems like Rhodes will have a bigger role in IM3 and it got me thinking about how Howard would have been in the role.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #79
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 4,887
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Sam, I don't understand how you can't see what you're saying is racist. Not only did Rhodey not act nearly like the stereotype you're saying, the fact you're comparing him to all these things when he did not act that way is overtly racist. I would not throw this claim at you if it were not. Just because he was not a hard ass officer (which AGAIN officers do not act like that all the time) does not mean he was a token 60s black guy doing a black funny man impersonation. Seriously, just typing that sounds horrible given what he was really like in the film. Maybe you should rewatch it because you obviously don't have a good recollection of what happened with Rhodey's character.

This sounds racist to me, being black myself. Maybe you don't understand because you're not black (don't know if you are or not but I'm assuming you're not) but if you said any of this to any other black person and showed them how he actually acted in the film they would punch you.

You too R_Hythlodeus, especially with that gangsta pimp comparison you made.
the 'pimp' part came from you, originally IIRC. But, whatever. If you really had no problem with Howards performance that's good for you.

__________________
every Summer
Some Dude **** Sexy Chick **** The Supporting Cast **** Evil British Guy
in
RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #80
Mr. Dent
 
Mr. Dent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,351
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

You weren't the one who said gangsta pimp, it was Sam, my bad. You said hip hop attitude...

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #81
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 4,887
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

yes, that sounds more like me.

__________________
every Summer
Some Dude **** Sexy Chick **** The Supporting Cast **** Evil British Guy
in
RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #82
Ant-manic
Side-Kick
 
Ant-manic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,486
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

it's too bad that Wesley Snipes has that primadonna quality to him (and legal problems). i think he would have easily been a spinoff-worthy War Machine. of course, Michael Jai White probably could have done it too; with less chance of a spinoff. that said, i don't think they would have had any chemistry with RDj.

p.s. it's a shame that Idris Elba was already Heimdall. i think he would have been perfect for this role.


Last edited by Ant-manic; 02-28-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Ant-manic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #83
Rock Sexton
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,964
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
it's too bad that Wesley Snipes has that primadonna quality to him (and legal problems). i think he would have easily been a spinoff-worthy War Machine. of course, Michael Jai White probably could have done it too; with less chance of a spinoff. that said, i don't think they would have had any chemistry with RDj.

p.s. it's a shame that Idris Elba was already Heimdall. i think he would have been perfect for this role.
I cringe every time I see someone mention Michael Jai White's name for an acting role.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #84
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 10,909
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Sam, I don't understand how you can't see what you're saying is racist. Not only did Rhodey not act nearly like the stereotype you're saying, the fact you're comparing him to all these things when he did not act that way is overtly racist. I would not throw this claim at you if it were not. Just because he was not a hard ass officer (which AGAIN officers do not act like that all the time) does not mean he was a token 60s black guy doing a black funny man impersonation. Seriously, just typing that sounds horrible given what he was really like in the film. Maybe you should rewatch it because you obviously don't have a good recollection of what happened with Rhodey's character.

This sounds racist to me, being black myself. Maybe you don't understand because you're not black (don't know if you are or not but I'm assuming you're not) but if you said any of this to any other black person and showed them how he actually acted in the film they would punch you.

You too R_Hythlodeus, especially with that gangsta pimp comparison you made.
Go ahead: call me racist one more time.
I'll let the mods sort it out.

You asked for an opinion about Howard vs. Cheadle, and I gave my take on it. EXACT same argument I made back in the IM2 discussion years ago, and there were plenty of people who agreed with my assessment, and not ONE of the people back then thought it was remotely a racist statement. In fact, if there's any racism there, it's on the part of the writers/actors/directors who gave Rhodey lines like that and made him a walking stereotype.

If you don't see that or agree with that: fine. Your opinion vs. my opinion; we're all entitled to 'em. But if you *insist* on continually hurling epithets at me and making this a PERSONAL argument instead of an objective one, I'll let you address your next comments to the mods and let them decide who's worthy of the banhammer.

I'm done with this argument.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #85
Anubis
Sup?
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Nile Delta
Posts: 66,859
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
I cringe every time I see someone mention Michael Jai White's name for an acting role.


I think the dude from the All-State commercials woulda been pretty sweet.

__________________
Quote:
"Great, now I have to take over a whole planet because of your stupid boobs."
-Rick from Rick and Morty
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #86
CastlesInTheAir
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 208
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
I cringe every time I see someone mention Michael Jai White's name for an acting role.
All right. What's wrong, Honey Bee? I've known you too long. Now, if something's bothering you, why don't you lay it on me?

CastlesInTheAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #87
T"Challa
Side-Kick
 
T"Challa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,824
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
I cringe every time I see someone mention Michael Jai White's name for an acting role.
Even though his role was small, the guy was painful to watch in Dark Knight. It was comical.

However, i still think Black Dynamite was hilarious.

T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #88
CastlesInTheAir
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 208
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
However, i still think Black Dynamite was hilarious.

CastlesInTheAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #89
CastlesInTheAir
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 208
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Go ahead: call me racist one more time.
I'll let the mods sort it out.

You asked for an opinion about Howard vs. Cheadle, and I gave my take on it. EXACT same argument I made back in the IM2 discussion years ago, and there were plenty of people who agreed with my assessment, and not ONE of the people back then thought it was remotely a racist statement. In fact, if there's any racism there, it's on the part of the writers/actors/directors who gave Rhodey lines like that and made him a walking stereotype.

If you don't see that or agree with that: fine. Your opinion vs. my opinion; we're all entitled to 'em. But if you *insist* on continually hurling epithets at me and making this a PERSONAL argument instead of an objective one, I'll let you address your next comments to the mods and let them decide who's worthy of the banhammer.

I'm done with this argument.


Why do you keep hiding behind the mods? No one said anything about banning anyone, we were just pointing out the flaws in your reasoning. You can call someone out on saying something wrong without calling them a racist.

I'm done here too, I just wanted to get that last bit out there.

CastlesInTheAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #90
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick
 
Webfoot Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,082
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I think the dude from the All-State commercials woulda been pretty sweet.
I've always liked him as an actor but it's too bad he's near 60 now.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #91
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 34,574
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

As I recall, fun-vee was Stark not Rhodey in the first movie.

I miss Howard's performance as Rhodey, but that ship has sailed. What can you do?

Maybe its the baggage people have toward Howard's previous roles or personal life, but he came off pretty straight-laced to me.

Most of the lines mentioned as being "stereotypical" for Howard IMHO were not over the top, goofy Chris Tucker type lines.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #92
CastlesInTheAir
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 208
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

^ exactly.

CastlesInTheAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #93
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

I personally think they are equally as good as Rhodey. I never felt either was better than the other.

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #94
Mr. Dent
 
Mr. Dent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,351
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Go ahead: call me racist one more time.
I'll let the mods sort it out.
We're not calling you racist, we're saying what you are saying sounds racist and you need to watch it. You would do well to remember that irl as well. You can get yourself into real trouble saying the kind of stuff you're posting here in the real. I am not the only one telling you this, so you should realize there is something wrong with what you are saying.

Again, I'm NOT calling you a racist, no one else here thinks I'm calling you a racist, and if you took it to a mod I'm sure they would agree with me. What I am saying is that you don't understand what you are saying comes off as racist and stereotyping especially coupled with the fact that none of the examples you bring up point to Howard's Rhodey being a jivin and shivin 60's funny black man gangast pimp persona.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #95
jaqua99
....I need a horse!
 
jaqua99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: dont you worry about that
Posts: 5,913
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

You guys are ridiculous lol. Sam, I don't necessarily 100% agree with what you are saying, but you're the freakin best lol ..

I am just going to put this stupid thing to rest. First of all, this is my opinion on the cheadle/howard thing ...right here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
As for the matter at hand. There was something about Howard's Rhodey that I didn't like either. he was too laid back. He was "cool". That's the issue I had as him. Personally, I saw him as an actor playing a colonel. I just couldn't see him in the airfoce.

Cheadle lacked the chemistry, but look at that movie, ya know? It's not like there was much of an oppritunity for them to have chemistry anyway. Cheadle I think was much more believable as an airforce colonel. And you could even see a tiny bit of friendship at the beginning when stark showed justin hammer failing on screen, Rhodey looked at tony and tried to cover a laugh

I'd like to think this is a pretty unbiased opinion. Now before I say what I am about to say, Castle, and whoever else, don't jump on me for saying this, as my opinion is above. but I, in a way, agree with Sam.

Everyone is blowing the race thing out of proportion. But for Howards role, everything I just said in the post I quoted, that's what I see in him. However, there is no doubt some black stereotypes by Howard in that movie. That doesn't mean it was intentional, as those are probably Howards' mannerisms. His mannerisms, the way he speaks, the natural swagger, how he literally formed his words, to me, he fit some black stereo types. Unintentionally. Stereotypes are stereotypes, but like always, some people legitimately fit stereotypes. Hell, I'll be honest, I fit every single Italian stereotype. I worked with a kid who fit the "jock" stereotype (pisses me off, I was a jock in high school, but wasn't a duech) anyway, these stereotypes... They is what probably led sam to explain why it is a racist performance by howard. That does not mean he is racist, or being racist, it's just a deduction he made about a character, who he thought, was portayed in a racist way.

I am not Sam, but I guarentee this was his point of view. I have yet to read one post by him here that seemed racist. Observing something racist doesn't make you racist.

Let this thing die down, or a mod will get involved.

I'll tattle on all of you like a little girl

__________________
hi

Last edited by jaqua99; 03-01-2013 at 01:43 AM.
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #96
CastlesInTheAir
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 208
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

We'll agree to disagree then. I saw nothing racist in Howard's performance, he was playing a character, and a convincing likeable one IMO. If you consider Howard's mannerisms racist then thats your problem.

CastlesInTheAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #97
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,051
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

^ Agreed, I truely miss Terrence Howard as James "Rhodey" Rhodes

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #98
jaqua99
....I need a horse!
 
jaqua99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: dont you worry about that
Posts: 5,913
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastlesInTheAir View Post
We'll agree to disagree then. I saw nothing racist in Howard's performance, he was playing a character, and a convincing likeable one IMO. If you consider Howard's mannerisms racist then thats your problem.
my problem? really? First of all, I didn't say I saw it racist. Secondly, just because my opinion differs from yours, it means I have a problem??...I am telling you my POV, and most likely Sam's reasoning for his as well. Since an opinion differs from your opinion, said person has a problem? a bit egocentric huh? Let's not do that, or be like that. People like that aren't very likeably. Anywhere.

Now, as to my POV, I repeat..

I saw some stereotypes in Horwards portrayal that were probably unintentional. Those stereotypes..erhmmm *are what probably lead sam to think it was a racist performance*

alright?

No one is being racist here, I've taken a sociology cource this semester and last semester, with that **** being drilled into my head, I think i know enough to recognize the difference between stereotyping and racism lol cause they arent the same thing

__________________
hi

Last edited by jaqua99; 03-01-2013 at 01:56 AM.
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:58 AM   #99
CastlesInTheAir
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 208
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

Okay. If Sam considers Howard's performance to be racist then its his problem, not mine.

CastlesInTheAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #100
jaqua99
....I need a horse!
 
jaqua99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: dont you worry about that
Posts: 5,913
Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastlesInTheAir View Post
Okay. If Sam considers Howard's performance to be racist then its his problem, not mine.
Lol, sorry for being a bit aggressive there. But it's not his problem. Nor is it anyone's problem. It's just..his opinion.

__________________
hi
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.