The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #76
Guerrilla
Side-Kick

Default Re: Anybody else miss Terrence Howard as Rhodey?

I liked Howard as Rhodey, he seemed like a genuine friend to Tony. Then again, I feel the same way about Cheadle. Cheadle does come off a little more militaristic though. Cheadle looks pretty big in this photo. His arms dwarf RDJ's.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #77
Anubis
Sup?

As far as what this actual thread is about, eh, I didn't really care either way about either of em. They were just kinda.....there.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #78
Mr. Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
I liked Howard as Rhodey, he seemed like a genuine friend to Tony. Then again, I feel the same way about Cheadle. Cheadle does come off a little more militaristic though. Cheadle looks pretty big in this photo. His arms dwarf RDJ's.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Yeah they do look pretty big there. Might just be how he has his arms hugged to his body though.

I just see Howard's acting in Dead Man Down and think about how good he could have been as Rhodes had he had more time. I'm still a little confused on what exactly happened between him and Marvel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
As far as what this actual thread is about, eh, I didn't really care either way about either of em. They were just kinda.....there.
The reason why I started this now is because it seems like Rhodes will have a bigger role in IM3 and it got me thinking about how Howard would have been in the role.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #79
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Sam, I don't understand how you can't see what you're saying is racist. Not only did Rhodey not act nearly like the stereotype you're saying, the fact you're comparing him to all these things when he did not act that way is overtly racist. I would not throw this claim at you if it were not. Just because he was not a hard ass officer (which AGAIN officers do not act like that all the time) does not mean he was a token 60s black guy doing a black funny man impersonation. Seriously, just typing that sounds horrible given what he was really like in the film. Maybe you should rewatch it because you obviously don't have a good recollection of what happened with Rhodey's character.

This sounds racist to me, being black myself. Maybe you don't understand because you're not black (don't know if you are or not but I'm assuming you're not) but if you said any of this to any other black person and showed them how he actually acted in the film they would punch you.

You too R_Hythlodeus, especially with that gangsta pimp comparison you made.
the 'pimp' part came from you, originally IIRC. But, whatever. If you really had no problem with Howards performance that's good for you.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #80
Mr. Dent

You weren't the one who said gangsta pimp, it was Sam, my bad. You said hip hop attitude...

Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #81
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

yes, that sounds more like me.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #82
Ant-manic
Side-Kick

it's too bad that Wesley Snipes has that primadonna quality to him (and legal problems). i think he would have easily been a spinoff-worthy War Machine. of course, Michael Jai White probably could have done it too; with less chance of a spinoff. that said, i don't think they would have had any chemistry with RDj.

p.s. it's a shame that Idris Elba was already Heimdall. i think he would have been perfect for this role.

Last edited by Ant-manic; 02-28-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Ant-manic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #83
Rock Sexton
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
it's too bad that Wesley Snipes has that primadonna quality to him (and legal problems). i think he would have easily been a spinoff-worthy War Machine. of course, Michael Jai White probably could have done it too; with less chance of a spinoff. that said, i don't think they would have had any chemistry with RDj.

p.s. it's a shame that Idris Elba was already Heimdall. i think he would have been perfect for this role.
I cringe every time I see someone mention Michael Jai White's name for an acting role.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #84
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Sam, I don't understand how you can't see what you're saying is racist. Not only did Rhodey not act nearly like the stereotype you're saying, the fact you're comparing him to all these things when he did not act that way is overtly racist. I would not throw this claim at you if it were not. Just because he was not a hard ass officer (which AGAIN officers do not act like that all the time) does not mean he was a token 60s black guy doing a black funny man impersonation. Seriously, just typing that sounds horrible given what he was really like in the film. Maybe you should rewatch it because you obviously don't have a good recollection of what happened with Rhodey's character.

This sounds racist to me, being black myself. Maybe you don't understand because you're not black (don't know if you are or not but I'm assuming you're not) but if you said any of this to any other black person and showed them how he actually acted in the film they would punch you.

You too R_Hythlodeus, especially with that gangsta pimp comparison you made.
Go ahead: call me racist one more time.
I'll let the mods sort it out.

You asked for an opinion about Howard vs. Cheadle, and I gave my take on it. EXACT same argument I made back in the IM2 discussion years ago, and there were plenty of people who agreed with my assessment, and not ONE of the people back then thought it was remotely a racist statement. In fact, if there's any racism there, it's on the part of the writers/actors/directors who gave Rhodey lines like that and made him a walking stereotype.

If you don't see that or agree with that: fine. Your opinion vs. my opinion; we're all entitled to 'em. But if you *insist* on continually hurling epithets at me and making this a PERSONAL argument instead of an objective one, I'll let you address your next comments to the mods and let them decide who's worthy of the banhammer.

I'm done with this argument.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #85
Anubis
Sup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
I cringe every time I see someone mention Michael Jai White's name for an acting role.

I think the dude from the All-State commercials woulda been pretty sweet.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #86
CastlesInTheAir
Banned User

Quote:
All right. What's wrong, Honey Bee? I've known you too long. Now, if something's bothering you, why don't you lay it on me?

CastlesInTheAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #87
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Even though his role was small, the guy was painful to watch in Dark Knight. It was comical.

However, i still think Black Dynamite was hilarious.

T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #88
CastlesInTheAir
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
However, i still think Black Dynamite was hilarious.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #89
CastlesInTheAir
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post

You asked for an opinion about Howard vs. Cheadle, and I gave my take on it. EXACT same argument I made back in the IM2 discussion years ago, and there were plenty of people who agreed with my assessment, and not ONE of the people back then thought it was remotely a racist statement. In fact, if there's any racism there, it's on the part of the writers/actors/directors who gave Rhodey lines like that and made him a walking stereotype.

If you don't see that or agree with that: fine. Your opinion vs. my opinion; we're all entitled to 'em. But if you *insist* on continually hurling epithets at me and making this a PERSONAL argument instead of an objective one, I'll let you address your next comments to the mods and let them decide who's worthy of the banhammer.

I'm done with this argument.

Why do you keep hiding behind the mods? No one said anything about banning anyone, we were just pointing out the flaws in your reasoning. You can call someone out on saying something wrong without calling them a racist.

I'm done here too, I just wanted to get that last bit out there.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #90
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I think the dude from the All-State commercials woulda been pretty sweet.
I've always liked him as an actor but it's too bad he's near 60 now.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #91
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

As I recall, fun-vee was Stark not Rhodey in the first movie.

I miss Howard's performance as Rhodey, but that ship has sailed. What can you do?

Maybe its the baggage people have toward Howard's previous roles or personal life, but he came off pretty straight-laced to me.

Most of the lines mentioned as being "stereotypical" for Howard IMHO were not over the top, goofy Chris Tucker type lines.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #92
CastlesInTheAir
Banned User

^ exactly.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #93
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I personally think they are equally as good as Rhodey. I never felt either was better than the other.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #94
Mr. Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
We're not calling you racist, we're saying what you are saying sounds racist and you need to watch it. You would do well to remember that irl as well. You can get yourself into real trouble saying the kind of stuff you're posting here in the real. I am not the only one telling you this, so you should realize there is something wrong with what you are saying.

Again, I'm NOT calling you a racist, no one else here thinks I'm calling you a racist, and if you took it to a mod I'm sure they would agree with me. What I am saying is that you don't understand what you are saying comes off as racist and stereotyping especially coupled with the fact that none of the examples you bring up point to Howard's Rhodey being a jivin and shivin 60's funny black man gangast pimp persona.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #95
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

You guys are ridiculous lol. Sam, I don't necessarily 100% agree with what you are saying, but you're the freakin best lol ..

I am just going to put this stupid thing to rest. First of all, this is my opinion on the cheadle/howard thing ...right here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
As for the matter at hand. There was something about Howard's Rhodey that I didn't like either. he was too laid back. He was "cool". That's the issue I had as him. Personally, I saw him as an actor playing a colonel. I just couldn't see him in the airfoce.

Cheadle lacked the chemistry, but look at that movie, ya know? It's not like there was much of an oppritunity for them to have chemistry anyway. Cheadle I think was much more believable as an airforce colonel. And you could even see a tiny bit of friendship at the beginning when stark showed justin hammer failing on screen, Rhodey looked at tony and tried to cover a laugh

I'd like to think this is a pretty unbiased opinion. Now before I say what I am about to say, Castle, and whoever else, don't jump on me for saying this, as my opinion is above. but I, in a way, agree with Sam.

Everyone is blowing the race thing out of proportion. But for Howards role, everything I just said in the post I quoted, that's what I see in him. However, there is no doubt some black stereotypes by Howard in that movie. That doesn't mean it was intentional, as those are probably Howards' mannerisms. His mannerisms, the way he speaks, the natural swagger, how he literally formed his words, to me, he fit some black stereo types. Unintentionally. Stereotypes are stereotypes, but like always, some people legitimately fit stereotypes. Hell, I'll be honest, I fit every single Italian stereotype. I worked with a kid who fit the "jock" stereotype (pisses me off, I was a jock in high school, but wasn't a duech) anyway, these stereotypes... They is what probably led sam to explain why it is a racist performance by howard. That does not mean he is racist, or being racist, it's just a deduction he made about a character, who he thought, was portayed in a racist way.

I am not Sam, but I guarentee this was his point of view. I have yet to read one post by him here that seemed racist. Observing something racist doesn't make you racist.

Let this thing die down, or a mod will get involved.

I'll tattle on all of you like a little girl

Last edited by jaqua99; 03-01-2013 at 01:43 AM.
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #96
CastlesInTheAir
Banned User

We'll agree to disagree then. I saw nothing racist in Howard's performance, he was playing a character, and a convincing likeable one IMO. If you consider Howard's mannerisms racist then thats your problem.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #97
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

^ Agreed, I truely miss Terrence Howard as James "Rhodey" Rhodes

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #98
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastlesInTheAir View Post
We'll agree to disagree then. I saw nothing racist in Howard's performance, he was playing a character, and a convincing likeable one IMO. If you consider Howard's mannerisms racist then thats your problem.
my problem? really? First of all, I didn't say I saw it racist. Secondly, just because my opinion differs from yours, it means I have a problem??...I am telling you my POV, and most likely Sam's reasoning for his as well. Since an opinion differs from your opinion, said person has a problem? a bit egocentric huh? Let's not do that, or be like that. People like that aren't very likeably. Anywhere.

Now, as to my POV, I repeat..

I saw some stereotypes in Horwards portrayal that were probably unintentional. Those stereotypes..erhmmm *are what probably lead sam to think it was a racist performance*

alright?

No one is being racist here, I've taken a sociology cource this semester and last semester, with that **** being drilled into my head, I think i know enough to recognize the difference between stereotyping and racism lol cause they arent the same thing

Last edited by jaqua99; 03-01-2013 at 01:56 AM.
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:58 AM   #99
CastlesInTheAir
Banned User

Okay. If Sam considers Howard's performance to be racist then its his problem, not mine.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #100
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastlesInTheAir View Post
Okay. If Sam considers Howard's performance to be racist then its his problem, not mine.
Lol, sorry for being a bit aggressive there. But it's not his problem. Nor is it anyone's problem. It's just..his opinion.