The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Old 03-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #176
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
why would it be cheap and weird? I think there being an air of mystery about why they arent together would be fine, the awkward part where they see each other again for the first time, Han sarcastically greeting her; "princess" to me would feel very in character, these break ups have happened inbetween movies a plethora of times (just off the top of my head Die Hard and Speed, but Im sure it has happened even more times than that).
I see where you are coming from, because it makes sense that they would break up eventually. However, it would feel cheap because their ending together was very concrete in RotJ. It's an "And they lived happily ever after" type deal.

The other major problem with this is that this is not Han or Leia's story. An unecessary subplot about how they split up after Jedi would just get in the way of building momentum for the new story.

Quote:
A good reason? well i think being a bit of a loner suits Hans character quite well for starters, gives him a potential redemption story arc too, I could just as easily say I see no good reason for them to have remained together all this time, I just don't see why many believe them being together still is a foregone conclusion, people have multiple relationships in real life before finding their husband or wife - maybe Han messed up and looks to win Leia back after realising she is the love of his life, it can add layers to a character and give a sub story
Again, you bring up real life. In the context of Star Wars, a high space fantasy, building realistic romantic relationships is not that big of a deal.

Han Solo has already had his redemption arc. Setting him up as a loner again only regresses his character.

The original three (Han, Luke, Leia) aren't the main characters of the story anymore. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with this if they were. But in my mind, Episode VII should be about building new characters, not re-examining old ones.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #177
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

I think human characteristics that are observable in real life should be transferable to any work of fiction whether that fiction is based in our world or otherwise

I see your point regarding the happy ever after, and for the final film it works, but if there are 3 more than I see there no reason for it to nessacarily stand, I didnt see their ending any more concrete than John and Holly's at the end of Die Hard 2 - whilst Han showed character progression he is still a man capable of making screw ups, I dont feel it negates his previous character progression it only shows him as being fallible.... human

They arent the main characters but for instance the new protagonists needing help may decide to seek out Solo who is alone for whatever reason - whilst not a main character or a main story it could still be present, it can be told through actions rather than exposition, maybe later on in the trilogy things are looking bleak and theres a scene of Han just approaching Leia and putting his arm round her shoulder as comfort in dark times, it doesnt need to be explicit or a major storyline, sometimes things hinted at work better - for me Han and Leia were too different to work as a happy ever after - Im not opposed to them still being together I just think it would be interesting if they werent

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

spidey-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #178
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCadaver49 View Post
Again, you bring up real life. In the context of Star Wars, a high space fantasy, building realistic romantic relationships is not that big of a deal.
Thats entirely irrelevant given this is a fictional story, by that logic they shouldn't be speaking English either. The movie is being made for humans that easily connect with humans and human emotions. It doesn't matter that it's set in space they still need to seem human in order for us to connect with them. Really even those pixar movies about cars, fish, and toys all put them through a process called humanizing.

While you could make the argument that it'd be regressing his character, I had to point out just how off this statement is.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #179
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
Thats entirely irrelevant given this is a fictional story, by that logic they shouldn't be speaking English either. The movie is being made for humans that easily connect with humans and human emotions. It doesn't matter that it's set in space they still need to seem human in order for us to connect with them. Really even those pixar movies about cars, fish, and toys all put them through a process called humanizing.

While you could make the argument that it'd be regressing his character, I had to point out just how off this statement is.
You're missing my point, though it's my fault for wording it incorrectly. I'm talking about the genre. Star Wars is very mythological, and almost like a space fairy tale. I don't think that very much realism needs to be injected. I'd be like having a subplot about someone getting raped in Lord of the Rings. It happens in real life, sure, but it just doesn't fit the tone very well, imo.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #180
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
They arent the main characters but for instance the new protagonists needing help may decide to seek out Solo who is alone for whatever reason - whilst not a main character or a main story it could still be present, it can be told through actions rather than exposition, maybe later on in the trilogy things are looking bleak and theres a scene of Han just approaching Leia and putting his arm round her shoulder as comfort in dark times, it doesnt need to be explicit or a major storyline, sometimes things hinted at work better - for me Han and Leia were too different to work as a happy ever after - Im not opposed to them still being together I just think it would be interesting if they werent
Yeah, I could see it working when you put it that way. I still think it carries a risk of invalidating a major subplot in ESB and RotJ, and it could end up as a retread of Han's previous arc. It's just not my cup of tea, but I see where you are coming from.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #181
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCadaver49 View Post
Yeah, I could see it working when you put it that way. I still think it carries a risk of invalidating a major subplot in ESB and RotJ, and it could end up as a retread of Han's previous arc. It's just not my cup of tea, but I see where you are coming from.

I realise that most people would like to see them together I just find Han more interesting not with Leia, the idea of him being a gruff old man who's down on his luck, maybe on the run from someone (although that would be a retread I guess), and has all these regrets, seeing these new kids as his possible path to redemption just really appeals to me and keeps alot of the characteristics I love about OT Han - however if them being together is done well and 'just works' I will be happy - really I guess it depends on the writing

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Last edited by spidey-dude; 03-01-2013 at 10:50 AM.
spidey-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #182
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I'd really to see someone out to kill Han Solo. Someone from back in his younger years that wants revenge. It wouldn't be a main plot, more of a side story that is connected to the central story.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #183
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I hope they kill off everyone because.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #184
Solidus
The Force Awakens

Ya very few on here have said..."because" many of us gave deeper reasons that would be more dramatic/thematic if they decided to go that route.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #185
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Ya very few on here have said..."because" many of us gave deeper reasons that would be more dramatic/thematic if they decided to go that route.
Well sure you can create a great justification behind it that includes story elements and natural progression within the plot. You're still however just justifying your blood lust.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 03-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #186
Solidus
The Force Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Well sure you can create a great justification behind it that includes story elements and natural progression within the plot. You're still however just justifying your blood lust.
I want Han Solo to die like Peter Weller in Robocop. But bloodier!!

Old 03-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #187
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I guess it would be funny if Leia had kids with someone else and not Han. I guess if Leia is in a more senatorial role and Han is still doing his space gigs, maybe they are no longer a pair, but still close friends. I'm still going to assume the young people in this movie are going to be their kids or grandkids so not having them together may confuse audiences.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #188
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
I want Han Solo to die like Peter Weller in Robocop. But bloodier!!
Damn.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #189
Katzenbach
Side-Kick

Ok folks. For those on here that wanted proof, here it is: http://www.movieweb.com/news/george-...rs-episode-vii
it's now official! All three original actors will return! As Homer would say, "Whoo-Hoo!"

Katzenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #190
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Nvmd.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #191
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

I could actually see Han and Leia separated. Maybe not even divorced but going through a rough patch and have to be away from eachother for a while due to their strong personalities. Then this plot will have to make them get back together and get along again. While along the way they bicker which we enjoy seeing.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #192
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
I could actually see Han and Leia separated. Maybe not even divorced but going through a rough patch and have to be away from eachother for a while due to their strong personalities. Then this plot will have to make them get back together and get along again. While along the way they bicker which we enjoy seeing.
I can't see them spending too much time on the elderly original three. It has a certain novelty that wears off quick and they'll probably be too focused on the new cast to do a big relationship arc.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #193
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

I think the film will serve as the introduction of the new cast while at the same time, finding a story that also closes the old one. Though the only person I see staying on for more than one is Hamill.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #194
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Edit

Last edited by Doctor Jones; 03-08-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #195
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

Having a redemption story fir Han again would be total backtracking, I'd rather not have that and just have the two together.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #196
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Harrison Ford on Jimmy Kimmel last night.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #197
Bim
Side-Kick

omg that's hilarious

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #198
LuisTX85
Anti-Hero

Awesome But I sure hope he gets to start talking about the film and his role

Old 04-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #199
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Harrison Ford on Jimmy Kimmel last night.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #200
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I have no doubt he could still do a GREAT Han Solo even at his age after seeing that video!