The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #176
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 416
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
why would it be cheap and weird? I think there being an air of mystery about why they arent together would be fine, the awkward part where they see each other again for the first time, Han sarcastically greeting her; "princess" to me would feel very in character, these break ups have happened inbetween movies a plethora of times (just off the top of my head Die Hard and Speed, but Im sure it has happened even more times than that).
I see where you are coming from, because it makes sense that they would break up eventually. However, it would feel cheap because their ending together was very concrete in RotJ. It's an "And they lived happily ever after" type deal.

The other major problem with this is that this is not Han or Leia's story. An unecessary subplot about how they split up after Jedi would just get in the way of building momentum for the new story.

Quote:
A good reason? well i think being a bit of a loner suits Hans character quite well for starters, gives him a potential redemption story arc too, I could just as easily say I see no good reason for them to have remained together all this time, I just don't see why many believe them being together still is a foregone conclusion, people have multiple relationships in real life before finding their husband or wife - maybe Han messed up and looks to win Leia back after realising she is the love of his life, it can add layers to a character and give a sub story
Again, you bring up real life. In the context of Star Wars, a high space fantasy, building realistic romantic relationships is not that big of a deal.

Han Solo has already had his redemption arc. Setting him up as a loner again only regresses his character.

The original three (Han, Luke, Leia) aren't the main characters of the story anymore. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with this if they were. But in my mind, Episode VII should be about building new characters, not re-examining old ones.

__________________
Don't agree with this post? Well, it's stylistically designed to be that way, and I can't undo that, but I can diminish the effect of it.
CoolCadaver49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #177
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A
 
spidey-dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London/Manchester
Posts: 7,602
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

I think human characteristics that are observable in real life should be transferable to any work of fiction whether that fiction is based in our world or otherwise

I see your point regarding the happy ever after, and for the final film it works, but if there are 3 more than I see there no reason for it to nessacarily stand, I didnt see their ending any more concrete than John and Holly's at the end of Die Hard 2 - whilst Han showed character progression he is still a man capable of making screw ups, I dont feel it negates his previous character progression it only shows him as being fallible.... human

They arent the main characters but for instance the new protagonists needing help may decide to seek out Solo who is alone for whatever reason - whilst not a main character or a main story it could still be present, it can be told through actions rather than exposition, maybe later on in the trilogy things are looking bleak and theres a scene of Han just approaching Leia and putting his arm round her shoulder as comfort in dark times, it doesnt need to be explicit or a major storyline, sometimes things hinted at work better - for me Han and Leia were too different to work as a happy ever after - Im not opposed to them still being together I just think it would be interesting if they werent

__________________

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★


spidey-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #178
BenKenobi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 362
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCadaver49 View Post
Again, you bring up real life. In the context of Star Wars, a high space fantasy, building realistic romantic relationships is not that big of a deal.
Thats entirely irrelevant given this is a fictional story, by that logic they shouldn't be speaking English either. The movie is being made for humans that easily connect with humans and human emotions. It doesn't matter that it's set in space they still need to seem human in order for us to connect with them. Really even those pixar movies about cars, fish, and toys all put them through a process called humanizing.

While you could make the argument that it'd be regressing his character, I had to point out just how off this statement is.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #179
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 416
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
Thats entirely irrelevant given this is a fictional story, by that logic they shouldn't be speaking English either. The movie is being made for humans that easily connect with humans and human emotions. It doesn't matter that it's set in space they still need to seem human in order for us to connect with them. Really even those pixar movies about cars, fish, and toys all put them through a process called humanizing.

While you could make the argument that it'd be regressing his character, I had to point out just how off this statement is.
You're missing my point, though it's my fault for wording it incorrectly. I'm talking about the genre. Star Wars is very mythological, and almost like a space fairy tale. I don't think that very much realism needs to be injected. I'd be like having a subplot about someone getting raped in Lord of the Rings. It happens in real life, sure, but it just doesn't fit the tone very well, imo.

__________________
Don't agree with this post? Well, it's stylistically designed to be that way, and I can't undo that, but I can diminish the effect of it.
CoolCadaver49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #180
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 416
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
They arent the main characters but for instance the new protagonists needing help may decide to seek out Solo who is alone for whatever reason - whilst not a main character or a main story it could still be present, it can be told through actions rather than exposition, maybe later on in the trilogy things are looking bleak and theres a scene of Han just approaching Leia and putting his arm round her shoulder as comfort in dark times, it doesnt need to be explicit or a major storyline, sometimes things hinted at work better - for me Han and Leia were too different to work as a happy ever after - Im not opposed to them still being together I just think it would be interesting if they werent
Yeah, I could see it working when you put it that way. I still think it carries a risk of invalidating a major subplot in ESB and RotJ, and it could end up as a retread of Han's previous arc. It's just not my cup of tea, but I see where you are coming from.

__________________
Don't agree with this post? Well, it's stylistically designed to be that way, and I can't undo that, but I can diminish the effect of it.
CoolCadaver49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #181
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A
 
spidey-dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London/Manchester
Posts: 7,602
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCadaver49 View Post
Yeah, I could see it working when you put it that way. I still think it carries a risk of invalidating a major subplot in ESB and RotJ, and it could end up as a retread of Han's previous arc. It's just not my cup of tea, but I see where you are coming from.


I realise that most people would like to see them together I just find Han more interesting not with Leia, the idea of him being a gruff old man who's down on his luck, maybe on the run from someone (although that would be a retread I guess), and has all these regrets, seeing these new kids as his possible path to redemption just really appeals to me and keeps alot of the characteristics I love about OT Han - however if them being together is done well and 'just works' I will be happy - really I guess it depends on the writing

__________________

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★



Last edited by spidey-dude; 03-01-2013 at 10:50 AM.
spidey-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #182
Destructus86
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,828
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

I'd really to see someone out to kill Han Solo. Someone from back in his younger years that wants revenge. It wouldn't be a main plot, more of a side story that is connected to the central story.

__________________
Ephesians 4:2
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
Destructus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #183
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!
 
Darthphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 83,301
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

I hope they kill off everyone because.

__________________
"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #184
Solidus
The Force Awakens
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 17,310
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Ya very few on here have said..."because" many of us gave deeper reasons that would be more dramatic/thematic if they decided to go that route.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #185
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!
 
Darthphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 83,301
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Ya very few on here have said..."because" many of us gave deeper reasons that would be more dramatic/thematic if they decided to go that route.
Well sure you can create a great justification behind it that includes story elements and natural progression within the plot. You're still however just justifying your blood lust.

__________________
"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #186
Solidus
The Force Awakens
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 17,310
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Well sure you can create a great justification behind it that includes story elements and natural progression within the plot. You're still however just justifying your blood lust.
I want Han Solo to die like Peter Weller in Robocop. But bloodier!!

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #187
Mr.M
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,888
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

I guess it would be funny if Leia had kids with someone else and not Han. I guess if Leia is in a more senatorial role and Han is still doing his space gigs, maybe they are no longer a pair, but still close friends. I'm still going to assume the young people in this movie are going to be their kids or grandkids so not having them together may confuse audiences.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #188
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!
 
Darthphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 83,301
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
I want Han Solo to die like Peter Weller in Robocop. But bloodier!!
Damn.

__________________
"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #189
Katzenbach
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 33
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Ok folks. For those on here that wanted proof, here it is: http://www.movieweb.com/news/george-...rs-episode-vii
it's now official! All three original actors will return! As Homer would say, "Whoo-Hoo!"

Katzenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #190
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Nvmd.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #191
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider
 
Doctor Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On location with Spielberg
Posts: 31,193
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

I could actually see Han and Leia separated. Maybe not even divorced but going through a rough patch and have to be away from eachother for a while due to their strong personalities. Then this plot will have to make them get back together and get along again. While along the way they bicker which we enjoy seeing.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #192
BenKenobi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 362
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
I could actually see Han and Leia separated. Maybe not even divorced but going through a rough patch and have to be away from eachother for a while due to their strong personalities. Then this plot will have to make them get back together and get along again. While along the way they bicker which we enjoy seeing.
I can't see them spending too much time on the elderly original three. It has a certain novelty that wears off quick and they'll probably be too focused on the new cast to do a big relationship arc.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #193
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider
 
Doctor Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On location with Spielberg
Posts: 31,193
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

I think the film will serve as the introduction of the new cast while at the same time, finding a story that also closes the old one. Though the only person I see staying on for more than one is Hamill.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #194
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider
 
Doctor Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On location with Spielberg
Posts: 31,193
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Edit


Last edited by Doctor Jones; 03-08-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #195
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'
 
Spider-Vader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 12,285
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Having a redemption story fir Han again would be total backtracking, I'd rather not have that and just have the two together.

__________________
"Okay...This looks bad."
Spider-Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #196
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hooked on a feeling.
Posts: 23,241
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Harrison Ford on Jimmy Kimmel last night.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #197
Bim
Side-Kick
 
Bim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,839
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

omg that's hilarious

__________________
ďThere is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.Ē Goethe

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #198
LuisTX85
Anti-Hero
 
LuisTX85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15,663
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Awesome But I sure hope he gets to start talking about the film and his role

__________________
I'm not bad nor good,I'm just rough around the edges!
LuisTX85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #199
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator
 
Hunter Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Camp Manuel
Posts: 140,121
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Harrison Ford on Jimmy Kimmel last night.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
thinkmcflythink.com
Movie fans, hop in your Delorean and check it out!

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #200
Destructus86
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,828
Default Re: Han Solo Will Return

I have no doubt he could still do a GREAT Han Solo even at his age after seeing that video!

__________________
Ephesians 4:2
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
Destructus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.