The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Misc. Superman Films

Old 03-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #51
batman strikes
Side-Kick

Default Re: The JJ Abrams Superman script

Interesting, they must have taken it off the internet. I remember during the court case a bunch of unproduced Superman scripts were released on the internet. They must have taken them all down. It was like 794 pages with like 4 or 5 scripts in one pdf file.

batman strikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #52
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I hated the Flyby script the second half was severly rusged and I just couldn't get on board with a Krypton that doesn't blow up and not to mention the fact that Superman kills the villain.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #53
batman strikes
Side-Kick

I find it funny that some stuff in the J.J. Abrams script ended up in his first Star Trek movie. For example the drill that is used to destroy part of Krypton reminded me of Star Trek (2009).

Old 03-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #54
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman strikes View Post
I find it funny that some stuff in the J.J. Abrams script ended up in his first Star Trek movie. For example the drill that is used to destroy part of Krypton reminded me of Star Trek (2009).
Oh yeah never even thought of that

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 03-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #55
FilmNerdJamie
We. Are. Hunter. RIDER!
SHH! Global Moderator

J.J. Abrams talks Superman: Flyby

Old 04-10-2013, 03:30 AM   #56
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

On comic book movie.com there's some more awesome concept art for this project.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #57
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Here's the article:

Superman: Flyby - Kal El Pod

"The first job was to design the pod that baby Kal-El crash lands at the Kent Farm with (and flies back to Krypton in at the end... you'd have to read the script.)" - Phil Saunders

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

"This one was my favorite version. I like the engine concept. Going to have to use that on something else. " - P.S.

"This was the design that Owen Patterson finally approved. He was looking for something as simple as possible, with no visible external signs of technology. Like a chrome teardrop. Of course, "Flight of the Navigator" was never mentioned. Ever." - Phil Saunders

"The challenge with this one of course was to come up with an interior concept that would accommodate both a baby and fully grown Kryptonian. So I came up with a baby seat. Krypton style." - Phil Saunders

This is how the script envisioned the crash site. Ma and Pa Kent would have been pretty startled in the middle of their breakfast!

More: http://www.philsaunders.blogspot.co....al-el-pod.html

Last edited by BH/HHH; 04-10-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #58
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Superman: Flyby - Kata-Zor Pod

Kata-Zor Pod - "In J.J. Abrams' script, Superman's Uncle Ty-Zor sent his soldiers to Earth from Krypton to hunt him down. This would have been one of the pods his soldiers arrived in." - P.S.

Early Concepts

Final Design

Interior

More: http://www.philsaunders.blogspot.co....a-zor-pod.html

Last edited by BH/HHH; 04-10-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #59
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Superman: Flyby - The Rouser

"The highlight of the project was Superman's cousin Kata-Zor's giant battle mech. The film climaxed with an epic battle between Superman and this Kryptonian battle pod." - Phil Saunders

"These were some early concepts that were rightfully rejected as too "chicken-like," but I enjoyed envisioning some alternative weapon configurations." Phil Saunders

"This was the final design. The Rouser needed to start out as a flying battle pod before the legs folded down for walking mode." - Phil

"Two versions of the interior. Production designer Owen Patterson wanted to represent Kryptonian technology as a backlit glowing green energy. The Mech would be controlled by a motion control scanner that would translate the pilots motions into movement." - P.S.

"When it was considered that the vfx and wirework required for the zero-G gyroscope would be too expensive for every shot, I had to come up with an alternative design that could be achieved practically." - P.S.

And last, but not least, in the past Phil posted one image from the climactic battle between Superman and The Rouser. Phil's description of the epic confrontation, "The battle ends when Superman flies circumnavigates the globe before the Rouser can turn around, building up enough momentum to fly through the battle pod."

More: http://www.philsaunders.blogspot.co....by-rouser.html

Old 04-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #60
echostation
Banned User

hey BH thanks for posting those awesome shots iwth the description.. I really appreciate it! This is some fantastic artwork, I would have loved to see how this film would have turned out despite the crap script

echostation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #61
Lex Luthor
Evildoer

Some interesting concept art. Thank you for posting it.

As far as aborted Superman films go, the period of time where Abrams was working on drafts has particularly interested me. Nice to see concepts of what the production was aiming at for that time.

Lex Luthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:21 AM   #62
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
hey BH thanks for posting those awesome shots iwth the description.. I really appreciate it! This is some fantastic artwork, I would have loved to see how this film would have turned out despite the crap script
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
Some interesting concept art. Thank you for posting it.

As far as aborted Superman films go, the period of time where Abrams was working on drafts has particularly interested me. Nice to see concepts of what the production was aiming at for that time.
No problem at all.

You know I'd love to read the final shooting script, we've had several drafts but none were what they were going to shoot with. I know he did a fair few rewrites and I just wonder if he had all of Krypton exploding in his final script. The worst thing for me in the drafts I've read is how rushed the whole thing is tbh and I hate the prophecy/return to Krypton angle.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #63
batman strikes
Side-Kick

Has anyone heard or read anything about Bob Ringwood's design for the Superman suit? It was supposedly the one Brett Ratner had picked to use for his version of the film. I was just wondering if it was a molded suit like the McG design or if it was more like Superman Returns or the Man of Steel version.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #64
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Could Warner Bros. Turn Unproduced Screenplays into DC Animated Films? Geoff Johns Says itís a Possibility
Quote:
Collider: Something that you guys do really well is DC Animated movies. Is there any possibility of taking a movie script that never got made, like a J.J. Abrams Superman, and taking that script or idea and making a DC Animated movie out of it?

Geoff Johns: Thereís always a possibility. Thatís not the first time thatís come up. Thereís always discussions about what would be really cool to do.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #65
bapi
Side-Kick

Henry Cavill in the FlyBy suit

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
bapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #66
bapi
Side-Kick

Brandon Routh

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 12-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #67
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Superman: Flyby - The Rouser

"The highlight of the project was Superman's cousin Kata-Zor's giant battle mech. The film climaxed with an epic battle between Superman and this Kryptonian battle pod." - Phil Saunders

"These were some early concepts that were rightfully rejected as too "chicken-like," but I enjoyed envisioning some alternative weapon configurations." Phil Saunders

"This was the final design. The Rouser needed to start out as a flying battle pod before the legs folded down for walking mode." - Phil

"Two versions of the interior. Production designer Owen Patterson wanted to represent Kryptonian technology as a backlit glowing green energy. The Mech would be controlled by a motion control scanner that would translate the pilots motions into movement." - P.S.

"When it was considered that the vfx and wirework required for the zero-G gyroscope would be too expensive for every shot, I had to come up with an alternative design that could be achieved practically." - P.S.

And last, but not least, in the past Phil posted one image from the climactic battle between Superman and The Rouser. Phil's description of the epic confrontation, "The battle ends when Superman flies circumnavigates the globe before the Rouser can turn around, building up enough momentum to fly through the battle pod."

More: http://www.philsaunders.blogspot.co....by-rouser.html
awesome!!! thanks for posting. it will be cool to see superman fighting a giant robot.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #68
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapi View Post
Brandon Routh

First time I've seen this.

Quote:
Henry Cavill in the FlyBy suit

Would love to see this screen test.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #69
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Don't know if that has been posted before but on this link if you scroll down you can see storyboards for the climatic ending of Flyby

http://io9.com/storyboards-reveal-th...-abr-472902180

Old 01-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #70
bapi
Side-Kick

Jor-El in prison:

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 01-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #71
titansupes
Side-Kick

Whoah, I didn't realise the Routh screentest shot was released as well.

titansupes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #72
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I always say of the unproduced Superman films that weren't made I would take Cary Bates Superman Reborn over any as I think that film could gave been great.

But as far as the others are concerned this would be my second pick, I think it could have been great had they really sorted the script out (they may have we don't know how many drafts there were). I think this coming out back then would have been huge for DC, its almost a shame they went for Superman Returns in the end. Its actually funny how this has alot of similarities to Man of Steel.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #73
bapi
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I always say of the unproduced Superman films that weren't made I would take Cary Bates Superman Reborn over any as I think that film could gave been great.

But as far as the others are concerned this would be my second pick, I think it could have been great had they really sorted the script out (they may have we don't know how many drafts there were). I think this coming out back then would have been huge for DC, its almost a shame they went for Superman Returns in the end. Its actually funny how this has alot of similarities to Man of Steel.
I agree Flyby would be a great combination of action, romance and sci-fi. Also ScarJo as Lois, Downey as Lex and LaBeouf as Jimmy would be really good.

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 01-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #74
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
I agree Flyby would be a great combination of action, romance and sci-fi. Also ScarJo as Lois, Downey as Lex and LaBeouf as Jimmy would be really good.
Don't forget Cavill as Superman

Now don't get me wrong Man of Steel is my favourite movie but thinking from a Superman stand point I think we would have gotten a trilogy of these films so I would have gotten my Superman trilogy rather than having to settle for a Superman Batman or JL film.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #75
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Really? I didn't know that?

titansupes is online now   Reply With Quote