The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #326
Rocketman
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Batman Titles thread 2.0 - - - - - Part 14

Does anyone working at DC even know what the hell is going on with their comics anymore? Or are they saying, "Eh, let's just see what happens"?

I'm sensing this indescribable foreshadowing that leads to DC completely falling apart. Their comics are a mess, their movies are a mess, there doesn't seem to be any definitive plan for anything. This is coming from a die-hard fan since age 2, who has been following most of what they have to offer with great enthusiasm and loyalty.

But these past 4 or 5 years, right around the Morrison Era and now continuing with the New 52, I'm contemplating (for the first time) whether DC should even continue producing anything. None of their s*** adds up at all. Why are we wasting our time and money with this? Why am I continuing to be so passionate towards it? Why are we such suckers?

Does anyone else feel it? Do you feel this sense of finality coming to DC? I don't mean in terms of the company no longer existing... I mean it in terms of them doing a clean-sweep of their entire catalogue again - a New-New 52. They almost have to. There's so much irreparable damage to the Bat-books, there's really no reason for us to bother anymore. We do it because it's an addiction. We're obsessed. And we're blindly ignoring how completely atrociously written the timeline and chronology is.

Remember this: There is no plan. They don't have one. There is no definitive continuity. Stop looking for one. That's the only way I'm finding any enjoyment in this. I read it and ignore it simultaneously. It's like Star Wars. None of it adds up, but whatever.

I don't know. I just felt like venting that for a moment. Disagree and flame me if you all wish.

Last edited by Rocketman; 03-02-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #327
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Not really, no.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #328
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Yeah, no, none of that makes any sense.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #329
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

This is the most DC had been coordinated in decades. The thing most atrociously written in the Bat-Titles is the Batman title itself.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #330
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Is that what I sounded like over in the Marvel forums toward the end of AvX? If so, I'll have to go back and apologize.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 03-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #331
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Yeah I got no idea what you're talking about. This is the best comics have been in a while. I came in to comics after Final Crisis (but I knew what happened) for DC and started my Batman obsession with Battle for the Cowl, started Green Lantern with Blackest Night but really that was it, I couldn't feel a connection to the other books because so much had happened there wasn't a good jumping on point.

But because of the New 52 I got into Justice league, Aquaman, Teen Titans, Static Shock (though it got cancelled) and other DC books because they restarted everything. So....yeah I really have no idea where you are coming from.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #332
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

I agree with Rocket Man. They hard booted the DC world except for Bats. We got a weird half/half reboot. Some write like its new "red robin" but others write as if the last 15-20 years exist; Snyder/Morrison. I want it to continue and be YO->NML->RIP->Batman Inc 8.

It doesn't **** on our collecting that way and everything we know as history for these characters. DC needed to give us our own Batworld/continuity or hard boot like the rest and erase Dick, Tim, Jason, Babs, Damian... Etc. but they're scared because no matter how rough the continuity gets we still have a very well constructed backbone of history as I listed a page or so back. Rocket is right, DC ****ed with us Batfans. Trying to appease us without messing with things too much but the meddling they did do (Tim) was ******** and idiotic.

I • N • T • E • R • S • T • E • L • L • A • R
Old 03-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #333
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Does anyone working at DC even know what the hell is going on with their comics anymore? Or are they saying, "Eh, let's just see what happens"?

I'm sensing this indescribable foreshadowing that leads to DC completely falling apart. Their comics are a mess, their movies are a mess, there doesn't seem to be any definitive plan for anything. This is coming from a die-hard fan since age 2, who has been following most of what they have to offer with great enthusiasm and loyalty.

But these past 4 or 5 years, right around the Morrison Era and now continuing with the New 52, I'm contemplating (for the first time) whether DC should even continue producing anything. None of their s*** adds up at all. Why are we wasting our time and money with this? Why am I continuing to be so passionate towards it? Why are we such suckers?

Does anyone else feel it? Do you feel this sense of finality coming to DC? I don't mean in terms of the company no longer existing... I mean it in terms of them doing a clean-sweep of their entire catalogue again - a New-New 52. They almost have to. There's so much irreparable damage to the Bat-books, there's really no reason for us to bother anymore. We do it because it's an addiction. We're obsessed. And we're blindly ignoring how completely atrociously written the timeline and chronology is.

Remember this: There is no plan. They don't have one. There is no definitive continuity. Stop looking for one. That's the only way I'm finding any enjoyment in this. I read it and ignore it simultaneously. It's like Star Wars. None of it adds up, but whatever.

I don't know. I just felt like venting that for a moment. Disagree and flame me if you all wish.
i think the new 52, more or less, has been total crap. not only in terms of the quality of comics, but also in how DC has gone about producing the comics. that said, i think yer assessment is rather extreme.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #334
DrMylesOBoogie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsman41 View Post
DC needed to give us our own Batworld/continuity or hard boot like the rest and erase Dick, Tim, Jason, Babs, Damian... Etc. but they're scared because no matter how rough the continuity gets we still have a very well constructed backbone of history as I listed a page or so back. Rocket is right, DC ****ed with us Batfans. Trying to appease us without messing with things too much but the meddling they did do (Tim) was ******** and idiotic.
They should have just let Morrison finish his Batman story outside of the new 52 and given Batman the same reboot other heroes got in the new 52.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #335
HighFivingMF
Welp.

They did give him the same reboot. It was altering continuity and cherry picking the elements that worked and making new ones to fit. More things just worked for Batman and Green Lantern beforehand. But they gave it the same treatment, it just needed less work.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #336
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Honestly, while I know they will most likely have another Robin...I wouldnt mind if they gave him a new partner that wasnt a Robin.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #337
Charlie Boy
Modern Messiah

....Like a Blue Jay or Oriel?

Ou La La, Très Bien, Magnifique

@DomEsclovon
Old 03-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #338
Anubis
Sup?

Titmouse.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #339
RustyCage
Come what may..

Continuity hurts more than helps, imo. I prefer arcs that can exist in their own creative reality.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #340
Charlie Boy
Modern Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Titmouse.
Love it.

Ou La La, Très Bien, Magnifique

@DomEsclovon
Old 03-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #341
HighFivingMF
Welp.

I'd need to buy copies of Batman & Titmouse just to display in my living room.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #342
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Starting with Issue #21, Snyder will be going into an eleven part story on his Batman book, sounds a little excessive IMO.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #343
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Starting with Issue #21, Snyder will be going into an eleven part story on his Batman book, sounds a little excessive IMO.
Is it the Riddler story?

Old 03-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #344
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Quote:
Holy crap. Sounds like I may need to drop it at issue #20 then. My guess is, with this Riddler story, he wants to do a year-long mystery that will be his Long Halloween/Hush, and will be "the definitive Riddler story!"

Old 03-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #345
johndoe123
Batknight

Quote:
Well if it helps I think this story we be broken up into smaller arcs while the main story runs in the background i.e a Black mirror type story. Pretty sure I read Two-face and Poison ivy will be involved as well. Anyways I personally can't wait for this, Riddler is one of my all time favorite rouges and Snyder just keeps out preforming himself with each story he writes. Should be good.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #346
quixote_coyote
Side-Kick

no joke. whats all this hate for snyder's batman title? i mean, in all honesty, there has been less-than-stellar writing in some issues (especially when he's trying to wrap up an ending) but nothing i would call atrocious! if i had to give his entire new52 batman work a rating id probably score him a 7/10 or 8/10.

even at his worst id choose snyder over morrisson any day of the week!

Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #347
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

And you'd be wrong. As wrong as a tiger and a mouse mating.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #348
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

An 11-parter is up next in Batman? That sounds excellent... as a reason to finally drop the series. I realized by the end of "Death of the Family" that I've essentially stuck with Snyder's run this long mainly because of how good his first arc was. But that's like a year and a half ago at this point and the bad frankly outweighs the good.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #349
Swordmaster
Big Damn Hero

I don't mind Snyder's writing, but he needs to cool it with the big epic arcs. Stand-alone's, hell even if two-or-three issue mini arcs to break it up would be good I think.

Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #350
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

I'll stick with the book for Greg Capullo alone.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Closed Thread