The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four World

Old 01-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Fantastic Four (2005)

Discuss the original FF movie here.

I hate what they did with Doom and developing his metallic skin and electricity powers. I think McMahon was a real piece of miscasting.

I just wonder how this movie would've been had they not had to soup things up because of the Incredibles that came out the same year. What would the action have been like?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Fantastic Four (2005)

McMahon seems to be a decent actor, but I have to agree that he was wrong for the role. He came off more smarmy than anything. The lack of accent didn't help either, but that could have been him or the director (I don't remember if it was said why they didn't use an accent).

I liked Ioun from the Horatio Hornblower movies, but he didn't seem quite right for Reed either. The having to strain to see the grey hair in his temples didn't help with his characterization either. He did Ok with what he had.

I personally had no problem with Alba in the first movie. She looked fine, and did good as Sue (as she was written).

I like Chickliss, but would have preferred a CGI rendering of him. If nothing else, some trickery to make him look bigger (and of course have a more pronounced brow).

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I think Chiklis or maybe Story himself didn't want the pronounced brow, wanting to see more of his face. The makeup department could easily have given him that brow.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Didn't matter who wanted it, it was the wrong move to make. It didn't bother me enough to rant about it like some did....but I can acknowledge it was the wrong move. I heard too many people (on here and in general) who said he looked like a burn survivor. The larger brow would have made him look less like a burn victim and more like the THING.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I liked Ioun from the Horatio Hornblower movies, but he didn't seem quite right for Reed either. The having to strain to see the grey hair in his temples didn't help with his characterization either. He did Ok with what he had.
In terms of casting, I think Ioun was the most questionable move, but I also thought his Lancelot showed that he could project the kind of strength and confidence that all of us wish we had seen. I think that Tim Story told him to play it more geeky. I think that poor guidance combined with his discomfort with the American accent caused problems that Ioun may have been able to overcome under better circumstances.

The Thing suit in the 2nd film was FAR better than the first. If it had looked like that in the first, I think there would have been very little controversy.

But while we can point to a lot of the little details and small things they could have done better, I've come to the conclusion that there were two big problems that were the primary reasons it just didn't work.

1. Tim Story was just wrong for the project. He was never able to bring anything close to the right 'feel' to the whole project. On paper, many of the key elements seemed to be there, but they just didn't come across and I think we have to hold the vision and ability TS brought to the table for that difficult to define, but clearly 'off' subtleties.

2. The story was too small. We didn't really see the greatest superhero team ever on the big screen, but rather saw a group of 'victims'. The final battle was contrived and there was no clear threat communicated beyond that to the four. What would have happened if Doom won the battle? We all know the world would be in trouble, but we don't know that because the film told us. We know that because we know Doom from the comics. Ironically, I think TS was actually a little better at telling the story of the first film than the 2nd. The second film had some real potential in terms of what was going on, but TS told it in a small way.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
Gabe99
Side-Kick

From CBM:
FANTASTIC FOUR Concept Art: Unconventional Designs For Dr. Doom & The Thing
Quote:
In the past, visual effects guru, Steven Johnson and his XFX studio, made a pitch to 20th Century Fox to be the special effects team for a Fantastic Four film. This was before the Tim Story film was made, and at that time Nicolas Cage was penciled in to play the role of the main villain, Doctor Victor Von Doom. Steve has now released has put these images up for sale on EBay. You can see Constantine Sekeris' designs for Dr. Doom and The Thing below, or click here to see even more concept art and a bizarre mechanical arm conceived for the ruthless ruler of Latveria.
FANTASTIC FOUR: Bizarre Dr. Doom Prototype Arm; Plus Nicolas Cage Concept Art

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
In terms of casting, I think Ioun was the most questionable move, but I also thought his Lancelot showed that he could project the kind of strength and confidence that all of us wish we had seen. I think that Tim Story told him to play it more geeky. I think that poor guidance combined with his discomfort with the American accent caused problems that Ioun may have been able to overcome under better circumstances.

The Thing suit in the 2nd film was FAR better than the first. If it had looked like that in the first, I think there would have been very little controversy.

But while we can point to a lot of the little details and small things they could have done better, I've come to the conclusion that there were two big problems that were the primary reasons it just didn't work.

1. Tim Story was just wrong for the project. He was never able to bring anything close to the right 'feel' to the whole project. On paper, many of the key elements seemed to be there, but they just didn't come across and I think we have to hold the vision and ability TS brought to the table for that difficult to define, but clearly 'off' subtleties.

2. The story was too small. We didn't really see the greatest superhero team ever on the big screen, but rather saw a group of 'victims'. The final battle was contrived and there was no clear threat communicated beyond that to the four. What would have happened if Doom won the battle? We all know the world would be in trouble, but we don't know that because the film told us. We know that because we know Doom from the comics. Ironically, I think TS was actually a little better at telling the story of the first film than the 2nd. The second film had some real potential in terms of what was going on, but TS told it in a small way.
While I am not disagreeing with you about the Thing in part 2 - I liked his look better too - what about it do you find to be an improvement since it's pretty much the same design?

I know it was re-sculpted and the color was more vivid - or comic bookish if you will - but I was curious what you thought made it better.

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Victarion
Cut

I LOVE those concept arts.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

I like this movie, don't have an issue with the lack of (stereotypical?) accent
I don't like the idea of Sue being able to bend the light around her, but not being able to make her clothes go invisible

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #10
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
I like this movie, don't have an issue with the lack of (stereotypical?) accent
I don't like the idea of Sue being able to bend the light around her, but not being able to make her clothes go invisible
I think that was just done for titilation, just to get Jessica Alba naked.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:51 AM   #11
StarLord
Tech Noir.

I actually watched this last night and it has been a long time since my last viewing.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I thought McMahon was the best thing about it.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Whiplash* View Post
I actually watched this last night and it has been a long time since my last viewing.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I thought McMahon was the best thing about it.
An actor can do a good job playing the part he is given......but I think most people complain about his part because it was not the Doctor Doom that is in the comics.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
StarLord
Tech Noir.

That's where I'm at a disadvantage, not read a single FF comic ever.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Watching it now, third full view
Things wrong in this movie:
  1. When Doom says "So you want my money, and toys", the tone is way too low. That's a major cinematic wrong even big well received movies do. There's more of that
  2. When Johnny compared Reed to Victor 9 minutes into the movie, he said something VERY wrong
  3. Doom was shown to shut the shields before the rays hit his chamber, why was he affected? Needed full ship protection?
  4. So, I get certain amount of damage to the space station, but to cause the biggest drop since the depression? They didn't show what happened between them getting hit by the cosmic cloud and them being in the hospital. Is there anything special explaining this in the extended cut?
  5. What's the point of her stripping and moving a long to make way for the rest if none of the rest can go invisible? Maybe it's wrong with Reed's plan and people make wrong decisions. I'll go lenient on this one
  6. Sue can bend light around herself, but not her clothes
  7. Supernova temperature doesn't go supernova high in this movie
Movie is fun, don't think it's "the bad it's fun" thing

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:30 AM   #15
ironman29758
Side-Kick

I honestly like the extended cut of the movie(I agree Dr.Doom was miscast even though he was slightly improved in the sequel.)

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #16
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I really liked this movie before even though the third act of the movie was really weak. But the more I watch, the more I less appreciate it.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #17
LuisTX85
Z

I always found this and Rise of Silver Surfer underrated CBM,Yeah they definitely had big flaws and are not great..But overall I don't think they are all that bad either and yes I've read FF comics for years

Old 02-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #18
bapi
Side-Kick

Another (unused) concept art:

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
bapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #19
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

They were actually considering the cleavage "4" for Sue?