The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Misc. Superman Films

Old 03-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #251
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Default Re: Superman Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMan-Bat View Post
Is that the way you figure it? You honestly think that the many Superman scans I posted of humorous Superman moments written by creator Jerry Siegel such as this...
...were intended to be dead serious and not comedic? Or you are just trying to ignore all of those examples I provided. Those moments were obviously intended to be comedic and showed Superman's sense of humor. And of course the many Superman stories featuring Mister Mxyztplk were intended to be comedic. While those Jack Kirby scans I posted were mostly all serious moments, there was some humor included there as well in Scrapper's reaction to the Zoomway. Also in Jack Kirby's run there was insult comedian Don Rickles and Goodie Rickles. Those stories featuring Don Rickles and Goodie Rickles were obviously intended to be comedic.
A bit of misrepresentation. In the first place, you excised the part of my quote where I said “with some exceptions.” Secondly, I’m talking about the original and essential nature of the character as being non-comedic, non-spoof. That’s not the same as being totally devoid of humor. The latter can naturally arise out of certain story contexts (and we might quibble about how flagrant or subtle this should be); the former means that the character and material isn’t taken seriously at all - that they’re the object of intentional ridicule and satire (like the Tick, Stupor Duck or the Ambiguously Gay Duo). Thirdly, no need to cite examples where Supes has, indeed, “jumped the shark” and been reduced to a spoofy version of himself. I know that’s happened; that's what I’m objecting to.

Last edited by Dr.; 03-03-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #252
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Just remember guys trailers can be deceiving we don't know what Superman is going to be like in Man of Steel. None of us have seen it remember.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #253
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Reading Stricks script now and I'm remembering why I hated it more and more as I read through it.

The opening on Krypton is pretty good, it sounds like a horror movie (whuch I thoughts
Gilroy's did but this one even more so) but I'm don't like Brainiacs dialogue it just doesn't read right to me. words like "and fetch my cape" and "Lexcorp here I come" made me cringe, but of course this could have worked better when its acted out.

This goes for the Gilroy script too why not just call K the Eradicator? Such a pointless name change from Smith's script. Also how did Clark know to go to the Arctic? The only (sort of) explanation we get is he looks like he's in a state of hypnosis and Clark says "you activated called me to you" and where supposed to just buy that I mean it but its not preceded by anything?! I mean does Brainiac collecting the bolt activate it? I can't believe Clark just says bye to K aswell it's so casual.

Also people think Superman in Man of Steel looks somber but he's the same in this script. Well as Clark I'm 26 pages in so far and he hasn't turned into Superman once.

This does say first draft though so did Strick do several drafts?

Last edited by BH/HHH; 03-03-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #254
Binker
Side-Kick

When someone does a script/draft, they always put first draft on the...first draft, to set up future drafts. You could have just one script, that's titled first draft, and that would be a way of saying that you planned ahead, sorta speak.

To point out, or defend, your comments BH/HHH: if the dialogue sucked in the script, it doesn't mean that would've been said on the set. Case in point: Batman (1989). "I'am the night" wasn't a line that gave Batman that "kick" in his first scene, but "I'm Batman" really did. This is always the case with scripts anyway: you write the dialogue, but that doesn't mean all of it will be said in the film, otherwise it would feel like the actors are reading from a script instead of saying things naturally. Plus, these scripts never had that final rewrite, called shooting scripts. Because the movie was never shot.

As for K, instead of the Eradicator: given the similarites, sure, but the differences are enought for me to see the reason for the name change.

Binker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #255
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Talking Re: Superman Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
When someone does a script/draft, they always put first draft on the...first draft, to set up future drafts. You could have just one script, that's titled first draft, and that would be a way of saying that you planned ahead, sorta speak.

To point out, or defend, your comments BH/HHH: if the dialogue sucked in the script, it doesn't mean that would've been said on the set. Case in point: Batman (1989). "I'am the night" wasn't a line that gave Batman that "kick" in his first scene, but "I'm Batman" really did. This is always the case with scripts anyway: you write the dialogue, but that doesn't mean all of it will be said in the film, otherwise it would feel like the actors are reading from a script instead of saying things naturally. Plus, these scripts never had that final rewrite, called shooting scripts. Because the movie was never shot.

As for K, instead of the Eradicator: given the similarites, sure, but the differences are enought for me to see the reason for the name change.
Oh yeah I know that about dialogue but it doesn't excuse how bad some of Brainiacs is in the script.

Yeah but the name K just doesn't work for me, I mean K is what they came up with instead of Eradictor? Still it's only a minor thing.

Tbh I'm actually liking a few more things this time around, like Lex and Brainiac working together at first.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #256
tfn
Side-Kick

To recieve credit a writer has to show that they originated a certain percentage of a script. I assume that's why Eradicator became K and the Thanagarian Snarebeast is now a Plutonian Gnawbeast or whatever. It's the reason why twenty dudes can work on a script but in the end two guys get story credit and some lady you never heard of gets screenplay credit.

tfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #257
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfn View Post
To recieve credit a writer has to show that they originated a certain percentage of a script. I assume that's why Eradicator became K and the Thanagarian Snarebeast is now a Plutonian Gnawbeast or whatever. It's the reason why twenty dudes can work on a script but in the end two guys get story credit and some lady you never heard of gets screenplay credit.
Oh right cool, didn't know that

Btw Man-Bat totally agree with you on Plutonian Gnawbeast scene been a better Sueran reveal than Gilroy's. I'm assuming this is the artwork for that scene:

Last edited by BH/HHH; 03-03-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #258
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
the Thanagarian Snarebeast is now a Plutonian Gnawbeast
The Thanagarian Snare Beast wasn't rewritten by Wesley Strick into the Plutonian Gnaw Beast. They are two different creatures. The Plutonian Gnaw Beast creature is described as having a tongue, sharp teeth and a tail, and water burns it like Holy Water on a demon. The Thanagarian Snare Beast is a giant spider. They are both in the Wesley Strick script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post

Btw Man-Bat totally agree with you on Plutonian Gnawbeast scene been a better Sueran reveal than Gilroy's. I'm assuming this is the artwork for that scene:

That might have been concept art for the Plutonian Gnaw Beast, fits the description in the Wesley Strick script, or that could have been concept art for a member of Brainiac's Beast Brigade. There is a ton of creatures in Wesley Strick's script that Tim Burton intended to film.

Quote:
Reading Stricks script now and I'm remembering why I hated it more and more as I read through it.
Yet, you say you like the opening scene on Krypton, you like the Superman vs. Plutonian Gnaw Beast scene in Wesley Strick's script.

Quote:
The opening on Krypton is pretty good, it sounds like a horror movie (whuch I thoughts
Gilroy's did but this one even more so) but I'm don't like Brainiacs dialogue it just doesn't read right to me. words like "and fetch my cape" and "Lexcorp here I come" made me cringe, but of course this could have worked better when its acted out.
Quote:
Oh yeah I know that about dialogue but it doesn't excuse how bad some of Brainiacs is in the script.
I don't agree that Brainiac's scripted dialogue such as "and fetch my cape" and "Lexcorp, here I come" is bad. Brainiac is a computer, but, like Hal-9000 in 2001: A Space Odyssey, Brainiac clearly isn't devoid of emotions in the Mark Jones and Cary Bates script, the Kevin Smith scripts, the Wesley Strick script, the Dan Gilroy scripts and the William Wisher script, which can make a computer character more interesting.

Quote:
This goes for the Gilroy script too why not just call K the Eradicator? Such a pointless name change from Smith's script.
The Eradicator was created by Roger Stern in Action Comics Annual #2 (1989) as a device from Krypton corrupted by Kem-L with a mission to preserve Kryptonian culture by eradicating all others — and thus the device was named the "Eradicator." In the comics the Eradicator tried to transform Earth into a new Krypton and Superman into Krypton Man. Superman eventually had to break the Eradicator's programming, fights it and throws it into the Sun in the comics.

While the Eradicator name comes from the comics, it doesn't make sense for the character to be called that in the context of the Superman Lives scripts by Kevin Smith and Wesley Strick and Dan Gilroy, since the Kryptonian device created by Jor-El in the Superman Lives scripts is a peaceful protector of Kal-El, not trying to eradicate non-Kryponian cultures. So Wesley Strick gave him a much friendlier, more peaceful sounding name, as K.

Quote:
Also how did Clark know to go to the Arctic? The only (sort of) explanation we get is he looks like he's in a state of hypnosis and Clark says "you activated called me to you"
K telepathically lead Clark to the Fortress in the Artic in Wesley Strick's script.

Quote:
I can't believe Clark just says bye to K aswell it's so casual.
There is reasoning behind why he suddenly left K in Wesley Strick's script:

CLARK
If I'm in danger, then so is
Metropolis. So is Earth ...

K
That would follow.

Clark's first response is instinctive:

CLARK
Then I've got to get back --

CLARK (cont'd)
Nice to meet you, K ... Take care.

Quote:
Also people think Superman in Man of Steel looks somber but he's the same in this script. Well as Clark I'm 26 pages in so far and he hasn't turned into Superman once.
We haven't seen the Snyder/Cavill Superman/Clark even smile in the trailers or promotional pictures of Man of Steel. The Wesley Strick script says Tim Burton's Superman Lives Clark actually smiles. And while talking to K the script says Clark tries to make light of the situation. As Superman walks with Lois Lane a little girl asks...

LITTLE GIRL
C'n I get his autograph?

MOM
Leave him be, they look so happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
I’m talking about the original and essential nature of the character as being non-comedic, non-spoof. That’s not the same as being totally devoid of humor. The latter can naturally arise out of certain story contexts (and we might quibble about how flagrant or subtle this should be); the former means that the character and material isn’t taken seriously at all - that they’re the object of intentional ridicule and satire (like the Tick, Stupor Duck or the Ambiguously Gay Duo). Thirdly, no need to cite examples where Supes has, indeed, “jumped the shark” and been reduced to a spoofy version of himself. I know that’s happened; that's what I’m objecting to.
As I've pointed out and even provided many examples of already, the original Superman was really not non-comedic. Jerry Siegel's original Superman showed a comedic sense of humor, toyed with criminals comically. I don't object to Superman having a sense of humor. I don't object to the comedic Mister Mxyztplk, either. He’s an amusing little character if you have a healthy sense of humor and are not overserious. Jerry Siegel created that character, too, way back in 1944. I don't object to Superman being the object of comedic ridicule and satire against Mister Mxyztplk, and transformed into some spoofy version by Mister Mxyztplk. In the classic stories, Mister Mxyztplk always inflicted some weird transformation upon Superman or his world. Jerry Siegel created Mister Mxyztplk as a ridiculing comedic pest that tries to make a mockery of Superman and Metropolis until Superman outsmarts him.

THE DEATH OF "SUPERMAN LIVES": WHAT HAPPENED?
Releasing on August 1st on DVD and Blu-ray combo package?

FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY A DAME TO KILL FOR
In theaters August 22nd.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 03-04-2013 at 07:19 PM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #259
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
That might have been concept art for the Plutonian Gnaw Beast, fits the description in the Wesley Strick script, or that could have been concept art for a member of Brainiac's Beast Brigade. There is a ton of creatures in Wesley Strick's script that Tim Burton intended to film.

Yet, you say you like the opening scene on Krypton, you like the Superman vs. Plutonian Gnaw Beast scene in Wesley Strick's script.

I don't agree that Brainiac's scripted dialogue such as "and fetch my cape" and "Lexcorp, here I come" is bad. Brainiac is a computer, but, like Hal-9000 in 2001: A Space Odyssey, Brainiac clearly isn't devoid of emotions, which makes a computer character more interesting.

The Eradicator was created by Roger Stern in Action Comics Annual #2 (1989) as a device from Krypton corrupted by Kem-L with a mission to preserve Kryptonian culture by eradicating all others — and thus the device was named the "Eradicator." In the comics the Eradicator tried to transform Earth into a new Krypton and Superman into Krypton Man. Superman eventually had to break the Eradicator's programming, fights it and throws it into the Sun in the comics.

While the Eradicator name comes from the comics, it doesn't make sense for the character to be called that in the context of the Superman Lives scripts by Kevin Smith and Wesley Strick and Dan Gilroy, since the Kryptonian device created by Jor-El in the Superman Lives scripts is a peaceful protector of Kal-El, not trying to eradicate non-Kryponian cultures. So Wesley Strick gave him a much friendlier, more peaceful sounding name, as K.

K psychopathically lead Clark to the Fortress in the Artic in Wesley Strick's script.

There is reasoning behind why he suddenly left K in Wesley Strick's script:

CLARK
If I'm in danger, then so is
Metropolis. So is Earth ...

K
That would follow.

Clark's first response is instinctive:

CLARK
Then I've got to get back --

CLARK (cont'd)
Nice to meet you, K ... Take care.

We haven't seen the Snyder/Cavill Superman/Clark even smile in the trailers or promotional pictures of Man of Steel. The Wesley Strick script says Tim Burton's Superman Lives Clark actually smiles. And while talking to K the script says Clark tries to make light of the situation. As Superman walks with Lois Lane a little girl asks...

LITTLE GIRL
C'n I get his autograph?

MOM
Leave him be, they look so happy.
Ahhh fair enough.

To be fair I did say I was hating it more and more after that Krypton scene which I do think is really good. And I didn't start to like anything again until the Gnaw beast moment. Its like Superman Returns I love the plane scene and a few others but I don't really care for the movie as a whole.

Fair enough on the Eradicator but I still think they could've come up wit something better than K. But that is just me been nitpicky

I still don't like Brainiacs dialogue I guess when I think of him I think of the Superman the Animated Series version. As this version is also a computer I think he should be emotionless.

Last edited by BH/HHH; 03-04-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #260
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

I didn't care for Bryan Singer's Superman Returns at all!...but that's another topic for another thread.

Back to Tim Burton's Superman Lives...

It's up to $95,413 right now for The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened? documentary.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-what-happened

"If Superman Lives had come out, I think it would have been a giant hit," filmmaker Jon Schnepp told the Huffington Post. "This movie would have been a departure and completely different from what we're used to from Superman and superhero lore."

"They put a lot of money into Superman Lives," Tim Burton told the Huffington Post in an interview published in January. "What's interesting is if we had been able to make the movie the way we wanted to back then -- like Batman all those years ago; there was always a bit of controversy. Like, 'Oh, it's too dark.' It's like, well, now it looks like a light-hearted romp."

"We were trying to explore the more human side of the character and get into that whole thing," Burton explained.

"I want to find out why this was stopped, because I think it was a great idea," Schnepp said.

"(Joel Schumacher's) Batman & Robin f--ked sh-t up," Schnepp said, bluntly. "It kicked every comic book in the f--king balls."

"If (Tim Burton's) Superman came out in 1998 when it was supposed to -- (Bryan Singer's) X-Men didn't come out until 2000. How would that have affected X-Men? How would that have affected a lot of Marvel movies? How would that have affected the further adventures of Batman? Michael Keaton was scheduled to make a reappearance as Bruce Wayne in Burton's Superman Lives. Who knows what that could have spawned?" Schnepp said. "I think it would have changed the landscape for superhero films quite a bit. So much so that we wouldn't have had a Christopher Nolan Batman reboot. We would have probably had some other kind of Batman reboot. It might have been a Frank Miller reboot."

"It's not negative toward Warners," he said. "It's more of a larger idea: things that could have been, that didn't exist, that were almost ready to go and how I want to see that now and didn't get the chance. I want to tell the story of why this thing was created this way."

Here are two more interviews with Jon Schnepp about Superman Lives.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

"I want to show how negativity destroys creativity. This fear was born in the voice of the fans, who become overprotective of a character. If the internet exited back in 1988 as it does today, Batman never would have been made. The fan outcry about a comedian to play Batman, early photos would have been leaked online that looked weird. Producers second guess creativity over fan outrage. Fan outrage doesn't compute when they don't know what's going on and haven't seen the film." - Jon Schnepp.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Jon Schnepp ‏@JonSchnepp
Tim Burton knows about my doc, and sounds positive! Looking forward to talking with him about it!!!

In theaters August 22nd.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 09-02-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:22 AM   #261
titansupes
Side-Kick

I've been freaking out over the last couple of days, thinking this may not hit the target. I guess the 'recreate potential scenes from the movie' aspect of it is getting canned.

However, I also thought that if it doesn't make it, he should suggest a book instead. Along the lines of all the "The Art and Making of The Dark Knight Trilogy" kind of books.

titansupes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #262
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Man-bat I was only using Superman Returns as an example because you were questioning me hating the script when I liked two scenes. Superman Returns was very relevant to what I was saying cause I feel the same way about that film.

A book on unproduced Superman films featuring production stills etc and interviews would be fantastic.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #263
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
I’m not sure that screenwriters are all that limited in what the can “borrow” from comic book authors. Those authors are almost always in a “work-for-hire” situation - i.e., they don’t own the copyright. So as long as the studio properly licenses the material (and WB owning DC makes that easier) then they have access to pretty much anything. Batman Begins was heavily inspired by The Man Who Falls. But O’Neil received no story credit on the movie.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:46 AM   #264
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
I've been freaking out over the last couple of days, thinking this may not hit the target.
The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened? documentary is now funded! So this feature film documentary of Superman Lives is definitely happening.

And it's gone over the $98,000 pledge goal. It's at $98,334 right now, with four days left.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...d/posts/420990

Jon Schnepp has revealed, "I just got word from that the one and only Kevin Smith is totally in to be 'in' this Documentary, and will talk with me and be interviewed for the feature film!!! So very very happy about this news!! Giant Spiders, anyone? Hell yes!!! I've got a lot of people working on this project with me, and here is a little picture preview of the Brainiac Skull Ship!!!, being sculpted right now by the very talented Cig Neutron!!! I've got a video update to finish!! Thanks again everyone!!! Talk soon!!!"

So already Kevin Smith and Wesley Strick have confirmed, Tim Burton has shown he's interested. Grant Morrison is also confirmed.

In theaters August 22nd.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 03-06-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #265
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened? documentary is now funded! So this feature film documentary of Superman Lives is definitely happening.

And it's gone over the $98,000 pledge goal. It's at $98,334 right now, with four days left.

Jon Schnepp has revealed, "I just got word from that the one and only Kevin Smith is totally in to be 'in' this Documentary, and will talk with me and be interviewed for the feature film!!! So very very happy about this news!! Giant Spiders, anyone? Hell yes!!! I've got a lot of people working on this project with me, and here is a little picture preview of the Brainiac Skull Ship!!!, being sculpted right now by the very talented Cig Neutron!!! I've got a video update to finish!! Thanks again everyone!!! Talk soon!!!"

So already Kevin Smith and Wesley Strick have confirmed, Tim Burton has shown interested. Grant Morrison is also confirmed.
Yes. Oh my yes. Now my great hope is that somehow Warner views this as a good thing and kick in to make the recreated scenes.

And Nic Cage. But that won't happen.

Can't wait to hear from Morrison, too. Had no idea he was involved.

titansupes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #266
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:

So already Kevin Smith and Wesley Strick have confirmed, Tim Burton has shown interested. Grant Morrison is also confirmed.
Wow that is awesome, great news

Old 03-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #267
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I'm quite a pages in and I'm gonna sound like I'm losing my marbles here after what I've said but I've found myself getting lost in this script. Other than my complaints regarding the dialogue, I'm really into this. The Superman Doomsday fight is awesome and I'm finding myself wishing they had made this just cause the of the kick ass action scenes.

Its weird I like certain events of the film and I think Clark, Lois, Jimmy and Perry are all fairly well written but I feel the Lex Luthor dialogue is severly lacking and he really does come across as Brainiac's sidekick. Brainiac for me isn't a greatly written character in this either but he's better than Lex. Still though I could have lived with this version of Lex rather than another land scheme version.

Of course if I could make cast changes I'd like I'd have had Jim Caviezal as Superman bumping Nic Cage into the Jor El role. Of course that wouldn't have happened but I'd have preferred that. I do find myself struggling to find the right voice for K though.

Last edited by BH/HHH; 03-06-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #268
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Looks like you are discovering you don't hate the Wesley Strick script after all. As I read K I hear Eric Server's Doctor Theopolis voice from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

In theaters August 22nd.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #269
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:

Ha, that thing has velociraptor feet.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #270
batman strikes
Side-Kick

Do we know if Kevin Spacey, Chris Rock, and Sandra Bullock were actually talking with Tim Burton about this project? It would be interesting to hear if any of this was true. I also heard that Jack Nicholson was going to voice K and Jim Carey was going to be Brainiac.

batman strikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #271
Binker
Side-Kick

Actually, I heard Nicholson was Kevin Smith's choice for Luthor. While I doubt he was approached, it's highly likely he was thought of for Luthor when Burton was on board, not for K. As for the other casting choices: Kevin Spacey was approached for the role of Lex Luthor (before he got it for Superman Returns), while Tim Allen claimed he was in talks for Brainiac, and if Schnepp is right, was The guy being looked for while Jim Carrey was also being considered. Yes, you had Sandra Bullock, but there was also Courteney Cox as another possibility for Lois Lane. And Chris Rock was set for Jimmy Olsen, something even Kevin Smith comfirmed as well. Michael Keaton was confirmed, and alot of people were thinking that he was going to be Batman again, but he responded with "not exactly". Plus, looking at the Burton-era scripts, Batman was not in it, so he would have to be someone else. Maybe he was going to be K, given his comment.

Binker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #272
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman strikes View Post
Do we know if Kevin Spacey, Chris Rock, and Sandra Bullock were actually talking with Tim Burton about this project?
Kevin Spacey said, "I went in to meet Tim Burton, 10 or 11 years ago when Tim was going to do it. And apparently Tim wanted me to play the Lex Luther part but I never read a script."
http://www.darkhorizons.com/features...perman-returns

Yes, Chris Rock was cast as Jimmy Olsen. AICN reported that Chris Rock had signed on.

Various actresses were considered for Lois Lane, Courteney Cox was in the lead for the role, and it was rumored that Courteney Cox was not available but Courteney Cox was available from my understanding, she was not making Scream 3 at the time. And all of the Scream films were made while Courteney Cox was on Friends.

Quote:
It would be interesting to hear if any of this was true. I also heard that Jack Nicholson was going to voice K and Jim Carey was going to be Brainiac.
No. Nobody was officially announced being cast as K, and AICN reported that Kevin Spacey would play both Brainiac and Luthor, in a dual role. (This could actually lead credence to the rumors of Brainiac as a robot -- Spacey could voice the character -- and the merging of Brainiac and Luthor as "Luthiac", which is somewhat similar to the occurrence in Alan Moore's "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?")
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news...ews-movie/0304

Rumors flew of Tim Allen, for Luthor, possibly Brainiac or Jim Carrey, but I seriously doubt Tim Burton would have gone with either of them. Tim Allen said he'd love to try his comedy chops in the role of Brainiac, the villain in Tim Burton's Superman, starring Nicolas Cage. "They immediately say Jim Carrey, but I wouldn't mind trying that."
http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/Artists/A...07/756335.html
Jim Carrey or Tim Allen as Luthor or Brainiac sounds like Jon Peters' ideas, countering Tim Burton's own ideas of Kevin Spacey.

In theaters August 22nd.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 03-07-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #273
batman strikes
Side-Kick

Interesting. I remember that Rod Steiger and Barry Corbin were being talked about for the role of Perry White. As far Michael Keaton being in the film, I have a feeling it would of been K because I'm not sure who else he could of played. The only roles we didn't hear actors being in talks for were Jor-El, Lara, Ma and Pa Kent.

Last edited by batman strikes; 03-07-2013 at 12:05 AM.
batman strikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #274
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Looks like you are discovering you don't hate the Wesley Strick script after all. As I read K I hear Eric Server's Doctor Theopolis voice from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.
I don't even know who that is lol but yeah admittedly I think I was wrong. I'm still not sold on the dialogue but that could've easily been sorted. Btw was this the shooting draft or just an early version?

This film was so close to been made surely all the main players had been cast.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:38 AM   #275
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Doctor Theopolis was a talking computer that had a claim voice like Hal-9000.

Wesley Strick's script is basically what Tim Burton wanted to film. Wesley Strick would have also been the on the set writer on Superman Lives for dialogue rewrites, etc. of the shooting script, as he had for Tim Burton's Batman Returns, Martin Scorsese's Cape Fear, etc.

Wesley Strick explained "I worked on this Superman movie that actually never got made, it was called Superman Lives, Tim Burton was the director. I had come in and rewritten Batman Returns, I was the on the set writer on that movie, and so he brought me back for Superman."

Wesley Strick continued "But Superman was a huge mega budget movie for it's time, and it was partly being financed by Warners through all of these deals that were being made with like the Hasbro toy company and other toy companies. So I was hearing like 'We need a scene with a big spider,' or 'We need a scene with a robot that looks like a martian,' stuff that had nothing to do with the work that Tim and I were doing. And I realized that they had made all of these licensing deals with McDonald's or something, to help offset the cost of the movie, they'd already sold off to all of these toy franchises before the script was even done, much less the movie had even started shooting, so that's the worst kind of collaboration, when you're being given these kinds of notes that come from studio marketing people."

Wesley Strick explained "Ideally, we (writers) collaborate with the director. When movies get in trouble is because the writer has to answer to the executive and sometimes the producer. There are a lot of smart executives and producers, but often the notes that they give you are coming from the highest reaches of the studio, where their not really thinking about the script, the story, the movie, their thinking about how to market the movie, how to sell it. So often your getting insane notes that you don't understand what the hell your being asked to do, and then you take a breath and go 'Oh, I get it.'"
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

In theaters August 22nd.