Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #876
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Default Re: The President Obama Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
You're basically just telling yourself that to fit your narrative that the Republicans will not budge on taxes despite the contrary that they already have. The Bush tax cuts were designed to be permanent, hell the rates the Bush tax cuts for those making under $400,000 are staying in place. Even Obama himself promoted allowing the expiration of the Bush tax cuts as a tax increase.
If everybody in the house and senate wanted to make them permanent way back when they would, but obviously not everybody agreed the taxes should have been permanent. Making them temporary taxes was a concession that people who didn't want to make them permanent under the assumption that we would re-evaluate them some time down the road.

As I said no matter how one viewed the Bush tax cuts(ie are they entitled to them all the time or not) the Bush tax cut was no different then the payroll tax cut(ie it was voted on as a temporary stimulus to the economy at the time it passed). I go back to my anaology of me giving you 5 bucks everyday for a week then deciding one day to give you 4 bucks, you still at the end of that period are gaining 4 bucks, not losing 1 dollar.

Last edited by SV Fan; 03-02-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #877
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I would say we need to blow up Congress but that type of wording gets the attention of the FBI....oh ****.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 03-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #878
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

And on a side note, I think getting rid of McConnell is a bad idea. McConnell has a far better handle on his caucus in the Senate than Boehner does in the House and he's so far shown to be the only guy in Congressional leadership who isn't running around like a headless chicken.

The only reason why certain deals have gotten done is because McConnell and Biden know how to work with one another as opposed to Obama, Pelosi, Reid, and Boehner.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #879
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
If everybody in the house and senate wanted to make them permanent way back when they would, but obviously not everybody agreed the taxes should have been permanent. Making them temporary taxes was a concession that people who didn't want to make them permanent under the assumption that we would re-evaluate them some time down the road.

As I said no matter how one viewed the Bush tax cuts(ie are they entitled to them all the time or not) the Bush tax cut was no different then the payroll tax cut(ie it was voted on as a temporary stimulus to the economy at the time it passed)
It was voted with an expiration date as a compromise with the Democrats. The Republicans never really had a majority large enough to just do whatever the **** they wanted to so they needed some Democratic support when a lot of Democrats were opposed to the Bush tax cuts. They were treated as permanent rates though and when Obama proposed letting them expire, he treated them as if he were increasing the taxes on the rich.

Getting the GOP to agree on a tax increase for the first time in 30 years is monumental. Acting as if they never agreed to a tax increase through the expiration of the top two levels of the Bush tax cuts is flat out lie and Obama is absurd if he thinks that he can get the GOP to go along with it again after agreeing to raise taxes just months ago.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #880
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
I would say we need to blow up Congress but that type of wording gets the attention of the FBI....oh ****.
I never see this happening(since people int he house want to protect their jobs as much as possible) but the Federal Government should create a non partisan panel that is in charge of redistricting and redistrict all the country in terms of finding common areas(using a square box rule) and places that would have more of a 50-50 split who they vote for.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #881
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
You remind me of that old lady from Mars Attacks.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #882
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Getting the GOP to agree on a tax increase for the first time in 30 years is monumental. Acting as if they never agreed to a tax increase through the expiration of the top two levels of the Bush tax cuts is flat out lie and Obama is absurd if he thinks that he can get the GOP to go along with it again after agreeing to raise taxes just months ago.
The opposite to not agreeing would be ALL the taxes expire. So the 2 options the Republicans had was let the taxes increase for everybody or keep the taxes for the first 250k(which they fought to increase to 400k)

It's not a case the Republicans had much of a say whether all should have been renewed or not since Obama had the pen to sign the bill. All that being said the Republicans held everybody over the coals in the lame duck session of 2010 threatening not to renew them when Obama wanted to do the same thing. just because many Republicans somehow felt entitled to something that was temporary doesn't mean that they actually should have felt entitled to them(they still at the end of the day got a tax cut compared to how it was before those temporary tax were implemented)

Last edited by SV Fan; 03-02-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #883
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I actually find myself more disgusted with Reid than I am with Pelosi. While Pelosi is far more liberal than Reid, she at least acts like a leader within her party and I can't blame her for acting like a minority leader, the same way I can't blame the Republicans for acting like the opposition.

Harry Reid on the other hand has shown that he has no desire to be a leader. He literally does nothing anymore asides fight and blame the Republicans to the point where Boehner walks up to him and tells him to go **** himself.
Pelosi is a shrew. She does act like a leader but she is far too "forceful". Reid just gets on my nerves. I want to slap him everytime I see him give a press conference.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #884
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
The opposite to not agreeing would be ALL the taxes expire. So the 2 options the Republicans had was let the taxes increase for everybody or keep the taxes for the first 250k(which they fought to increase to 400k)

It's not a case the Republicans had much of a say whether all should have been renewed or not since Obama had the pen to sign the bill. All that being said the Republicans held everybody over the coals in the lame duck session of 2010 threatening not to renew them when Obama wanted to do the same thing
Back in 2010, Obama had no political capital to spend to fight the GOP when he blew it all on the stimulus, his failed debt ceiling talks, and Obamacare. I can't blame the GOP for taking advantage of their fortune the way I'm not blaming Obama for using his now that he has an abundance of political capital.

I will blame the both of them though for the way they've been acting for the past couple of weeks though. The amount of contempt and disingenuousness Obama and the GOP have for the public is disgusting.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #885
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Back in 2010, Obama had no political capital to spend to fight the GOP when he blew it all on the stimulus, his failed debt ceiling talks, and Obamacare. I can't blame the GOP for taking advantage of their fortune the way I'm not blaming Obama for using his now that he has an abundance of political capital.
The GOP could have talked Obama into agreeing up to 1M in 2010, but I am guessing in the big picture people making 250k-1M are not the reason they fought to keep it for everybody

All that being said I still stand by my opinions that

1. the TEMPORARY Bush tax cuts were a mistake(especially with a country going into war)

2. at the end of the day the taxes are lower for everybody before those temporary tax cuts were put into place(which is a victory for people who feel taxes should be lower)

Last edited by SV Fan; 03-02-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #886
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
Pelosi is a shrew. She does act like a leader but she is far too "forceful". Reid just gets on my nerves. I want to slap him everytime I see him give a press conference.
Pelosi is quite shrewish, but she's acting the way an opposition leader should. Reid on the other hand is not an opposition leader, he's the leader of the majority party in the Senate and it's clear he has no interest in showing any leadership. I'd rather see Reid go far more than Pelosi.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #887
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Pelosi turned me off with the Obamacare crap that she pulled...Reid is pretty much a "nothing" as far as I'm concerned. He brings absolutely nothing to the table positive or negative, he does nothing except mumble.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #888
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Pelosi turned me off with the Obamacare crap that she pulled...Reid is pretty much a "nothing" as far as I'm concerned. He brings absolutely nothing to the table positive or negative, he does nothing except mumble.
...which is why I want to slap him.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #889
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't feel sorry for Boehner at all. The man needs to get a better hold on his caucus. He doesn't need to rule the GOP with an iron fist the way Pelosi rules the Democrats, but actually getting some control over these clowns is necessary. The Republicans need a leader to shut up people like Alan West and Michelle Bachmann when they say something idiotic, they need a leader who has the balls to stand up against Rush Limbaugh when he says something disgusting, and they need a leader who is capable of working with the President. We also need a President who can work with the GOP, but well....it works both ways, the Republicans need a guy who can work the guy in charge and Boehner just isn't that man.
Fair points all. If Boehner could actually whip the nutjobs who think Fox News and Rush Limbaugh are reality in his caucus (basically the class of 2010 plus a few holdovers like Bachmann) into line, he could have made a deal several times over at this point. He has given up, because he has decided he simply cannot control his caucus which is just sad.

Unfortunately, the one waiting in the wings is Cantor, who helped exacerbate things between Boehner and his caucus in the showdowns in 2011 and 2012 and thinks his ticket to Boehner's job is to side with the nutjobs. I just see an entire breakdown and failure of any sort of leadership or common sense in the House. And it probably will only get worse unless the crazy members are scared of voters. Yet, I do not see that happening, because like 2012, even if voters turn on them they will convince themselves in their bubble it is only a liberal media smear all the way until election night as they refuse still to govern. That is a long time away and many worse things can happen that just this sequester.

It is both appalling and fascinating to see this complete failure in the modern media world we live in.

--John Adams
Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #890
Handsome Rob
Prepare for Razzle-Dazzle

Capitol Official: Obama Wrong About Janitors

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...321.html?hp=l1

Quote:
In a news conference earlier in the day, Obama warned that starting on Saturday “the folks who are cleaning the floors at the Capitol” and “the janitors, the security guards” would face a pay cut. But in a letter to supervisors and building staff, obtained by POLITICO, superintendent Carlos Elias said “the current sequestration plan does NOT include ‘Reductions in Force’ or Furloughs. The pay and benefits of employees WILL NOT be impacted as per our current plan.”
The lies and political gamesmanship is conduct so unbecoming a true, good leader. From the Narcissist, though? Totally expected.

Obama on 2/9/13: "Tens of thousands of parents will have to scramble to find childcare . . . Hundreds of thousands of Americans will lose access to primary care and preventive care."

Obama on 3/1/13: "This is not going to be an apocalypse, I think as some people have said."

Yeah, people like you.

Want to join the Revolution? Support the FairTax.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #891
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

David Gregory: "President Obama doesn't particularly like the Washington press corp and the feeling is mutual"

Old 03-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #892
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I don't see that as bad thing necessarily.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 03-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #893
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Well, when "transparency" is one of the main points of your campaign...kinda hard to be transparent when you don't want to talk to the press. AND THEN to say that you have the most transparent administration in history....?????? kinda laughable.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #894
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Well, when "transparency" is one of the main points of your campaign...kinda hard to be transparent when you don't want to talk to the press. AND THEN to say that you have the most transparent administration in history....?????? kinda laughable.
Meh, the Washington press corp is just as bad as most gossip rags these days.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #895
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Meh, the Washington press corp is just as bad as most gossip rags these days.
Only because even though they might not "like him", they still won't ask him the hard questions....

Old 03-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #896
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

So, Obama is hiring a guy who worked for Clinton and now worked for Walmart. A guy who keeps wages low at Walmart while donating company money to Charities, which is disgusting and sickening. So, I guess he be perfect for the Obama Adminstration. Keep wages low in America, while hurting the economy by driving up taxes and jobs overseas.

http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...04&id=16168758

Quote:
As the budget battles rage on in Washington, sources said Obama plans to nominate on Monday Sylvia Mathews Burwell to head to White House Office of Management and Budget. A veteran of the Bill Clinton White House, Burwell is president of the Walmart Foundation, which handles the corporation's charitable efforts.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #897
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

I work heavily in non-profit and that's a little ridiculous. Being President of a companies charitable foundation and being the actual president and CEO of the company are two completely different things. She probably has little if anything to do with actual wages Wal-Mart workers are getting.

At most, the CEO, board or whatever just allocates money to her and she just decides what non-profits and charities get it. Nothing wrong with that in the least.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #898
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
I work heavily in non-profit and that's a little ridiculous. Being President of a companies charitable foundation and being the actual president and CEO of the company are two completely different things. She probably has little if anything to do with actual wages Wal-Mart workers are getting.

At most, the CEO, board or whatever just allocates money to her and she just decides what non-profits and charities get it. Nothing wrong with that in the least.

Oh, I know. I'm just anti-Walmart. Even though I shop there and at times have tried to get re-hired, I generally don't think well of them. There's just not a Target or Best Buy in town to shop at.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #899
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

The president of the Walmart Foundation has very little to do with any operation of Walmart as a company.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #900
SV Fan
Side-Kick

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...h-republicans/

Quote:
This is why Obama can’t make a deal with Republican

My column this weekend is about the almost comically poor lines of communication between the White House and the Hill. The opening anecdote was drawn from a background briefing I attended with a respected Republican legislator who thought it would be a gamechanger for President Obama to say he’d be open to chained CPI — a policy that cuts Social Security benefits — as part of a budget deal.

The only problem? Obama has said he’s open to chained CPI as part of a budget deal. And this isn’t one of those times where the admission was in private, and we’re going off of news reports. It’s right there on his Web site. It’s literally in bold type. But key GOP legislators have no idea Obama’s made that concession.

Closed Thread