The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 03:59 AM   #326
batlovescatDC
Tragic Love

Default Re: The Look of the Turtles

Dude, for them to get the best design for a new live action ninja turtles movie, all they need to do is go back to the original comics. I have said for years that it is the best look they've ever had in any medium and would look amazing put in live action. Idk why it's so hard for Hollywood to figure out that the best way to adapt something is to go back to the original source material. As an aspiring film-maker that would be the first thing to come to my head when making a film like this. Makes me sick.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #327
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Quote:
Mikey...

http://kristaferanka.tumblr.com/post...-two-up-like-i

Quote:
Dec 21 - Okay!

So i’m finishing these last two up like I said I would.

first up: Mikey.

From the get-go, I wanted him to be the legit ninja of the group. He is the stealth, he is the shadows, he is the quiet. He is easily the smallest of the group. Everything about him is built to me nimble. Dark colours were an obvious choice for him.

Because with this line of designs I was attempting to make the characters serious, I didn’t feel a wise cracking, joking goofball would fit with the rest of the group. It was with a stroke of inspiration that I came up with the mask. I didn’t want to just go with a standard ninja face wrap (which felt a little boring to me) and it wasn’t until i thought of using a mask that he really clicked for me. It would allow him to look super intense and maybe something along the lines where the mask helped create a sort of myth about him amongst criminals. But the thing I really liked that I came up with was putting a smile on the mask. It really hit home as an homage to the fun loving mikey and immediately giving him a defining feature that the others wouldn’t have.
Raph...

http://kristaferanka.tumblr.com/post...e-locked-for-a

Quote:
Dec 21 - aaaand last one.

I’ve had this one locked for a while. Idea-wise. He pretty much is the exact opposite of mikey. Raph is pure blunt force. He isnt fast, he isnt smart, no finesse. Instead, he just walks up to something and hits it until it drops. He doesn’t get out of the way either. He takes the hits. and hits them back. I also wanted him to barely use any weapons. its all his fists.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #328
myname
Side-Kick

Lencho01, I love these designs! Very creative with the use of the Michelangelo mask. Almost looks like a Lucky Chinese Dragon smile. Brilliant takes on the characters.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #329
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Just to be clear, I didn't make those. I posted them since I thought they were interesting even though I don't agree with all of the artist's choices or his characterizations.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 01-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #330
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Those drawings have some interesting idea, but are way too overdone and don't really represent the personalities of the individual turtles much, if at all. I wouldn't mind seeing some elements from those designs used in a more simple design that does feel right to the personalities of the various.

I would like it if the next movie (if or whenever it may happen) went with a more individual look for the turtles individual costumes. I really liked the other drawing earlier in this thread with different designs for each brother (though I was less keen on them all looking like see turtles).

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #331
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Here's another. Never thought of having the area around there mouths a different color...

http://nebezial.deviantart.com/gallery/

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

"

Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #332
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

That looks good

Old 01-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #333
Raphael

they should be no more than 5' tall. two fingers, thumb. two toes. not this nickelodeon crap.
each a varying degree of greens, with a little color added. They are red ear sliders...a faded "red ear" could be added and blended in.

Turtles should have a no-beak mouth, otherwise they can't talk. how many of these guys ever seen a turtle beak? it's sharp and not flexible. Im sure my 4 turtles can't speak with beaks...oh yeah they can't talk anyways haha....

They should be moderately muscles, not overly done where it's beyond reality they can move swiftly with an overabundance of musculature.

Each turtle should not have 4 different accents. They should all be NYC derived.

If not animatronic, they need to be motion capture.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #334
Raphael

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post

This design, with a few modifications, would be ideal.

YES.

Get the Creature Shop involved. All the motors for animatronics I'm sure have improved 500x since 1988-89 when they filmed this.
All original voices. I want Josh back as Raph, at least in voice; costume work is probably too much for him today. I wouldnt blame him.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #335
ShredderX
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
YES.

Get the Creature Shop involved. All the motors for animatronics I'm sure have improved 500x since 1988-89 when they filmed this.
All original voices. I want Josh back as Raph, at least in voice; costume work is probably too much for him today. I wouldnt blame him.
HELL YEAH !!! Josh Pais will always be my favorite Rapheal !!

Old 01-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #336
NinjaTurtleFan
Turtle Power!

Quote:
Here's another. Never thought of having the area around there mouths a different color...

http://nebezial.deviantart.com/gallery/

I these. They have a classic Jim Henson-vibe to them, but at the same time feel like the cartoons. Throw in some PG-13-style fighting and action and you have the perfect Turtles movie.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #337
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

There's one with Raph, but it can't be posted here...

http://d-pi.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote:
Splinter Taught Them To Be Ninja Teens.
I imagine that's not all he taught them though. Probably all sorts of manners, nihongo and stuff. ...and gambling. My splinter would be inspired by Nezumi Kozou. He'd be a reformed thief and gambler. A bit superstitious, he feels the calamity that has befallen him is the karmic payout for his past life. He sees his instruction of these Teenage Turtles as a means to redeem himself.
My splinter is nearly blind from cataracts.>
Splinter- "I'm the only man to have sinned enough to be reincarnated before his death
You can get the original 19x24cm drawing on Maruman art spiral paper over on my etsy.
These characters were made by Eastman and Laird... **** if I know who owns them now.

Quote:
The Party Dude!!!
A couple of folks have been drawing Ninja Turtles lately, among my favorites are the ones done by Corey Lewis and Ross Campbell. Now it's my turn.
I'm gonna break convention and lead with Michelangelo. I imagine Mike gained a love for NY party culture, watching parties from beneath the thumping streets downtown. He really likes classic break beats. I can see him literally digging through crates of discarded records for music. Somewhere under the city is one of the biggest record collections.
I'm gonna at least draw all 4 and sell the original drawings on my etsy. This one is on a scrap piece of 11x17 DC Strathmore.

Quote:
Leonardo Leads
The turtles are all just a bunch of teenagers figuring out who they are and Leonardo has grounded himself in the traditional culture of his adopted father. So while Mike's practicing his uprock, Raph is reading Society Against the State, and Donnie is mastering portable cloaking devices, Leo is practicing his Kintsugi on the more interesting shards of pottery he finds in the bins outside of Pratt's pottery department. As much as he takes it seriously, his obsession over Japanese culture is still an outsider's fantasy and rather ridiculous, even to Splinter.
He's a bit uptight, but no other turtle holds himself more responsible for his brothers than Leo; this is why he takes his training and the discipline of the group so seriously.
Here Leo practices battojutsu with a crummy kodachi he found in a dumpster in Hell's kitchen.
You can get the original 19x24cm drawing on Maruman art spiral paper over on my etsy.
These characters were made by Eastman and Laird… **** if I know who owns them now.

"

Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #338
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Well, they already said WETA may be involved, so animatronic may only be in play for a few scenes if any. And I like those little bios above, that would fit into the universe of the reboot.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #339
Holiday
'Bout that action

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanJLA!~ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
thats awesome, is that just fan art?
That's from Mateus Santolouco who is currently doing the art for The Secret History of the Foot Clan comic and does some art for the main series too.

The way he draws April...

Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #340
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Yeah his april is stunning.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #341
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

That actually looks like it would work. I could see April kind of sporting that as a lounging outfit or coming back from some kind of chick workout place. It would be a cool running gag if all her outfits had some type of yellow.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #342
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I saw this yesterday and I was thinking the art was similar to what was posted here. Turns out it's official comic art...

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/0...lan-2-preview/

"

Old 01-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #343
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

This is what he said about that group pic with April...

Quote:
TMNT_height and physical structures model sheetby *Santolouco

Traditional Art / Drawings / Illustration / Conceptual2012-2013 *Santolouco

Hey y'all!
This is more or less how these guys, and April, are going to look on the new mini-series I'm writing and will be drawing for IDW's TMNT.
Nickelodeon asked for subtle changes but no big deal so, the changes will show up on next studies or directly in the books.
Originally I wanted to make them even smaller compared to humans and with more contrastant heights between themselves (I may post these studies later). But you can't win them all, and I'm happy with the consensus we got to.

I've been trying new stuff for a while now (new for me - how I used to draw them), mixing elements I like of other people's turtles.

My main influences came from Ross and Dan Duncan , but I admit I really dug the new Nickelodeon's animated series so, a little bit comes from there too.

Also there's my own personal touch that goes back to a rough sketch I did years ago.

"The Secret History of The Foot Clan"
is set for late 2012 with story created by me
and co-script by me and Erik Burnham.

I'm really excited about this and every now and then I'll be posting new stuff here so you can check it out.
Here's an un-official piece for it:
http://santolouco.deviantart.com/gallery/35869517

Last edited by Lencho01; 01-23-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #344
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

And this...

Was inspired by this...

http://gloooscap.deviantart.com/gallery/

"

Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 AM   #345
ShredderX
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is what he said about that group pic with April...

http://santolouco.deviantart.com/gallery/35869517

YES !!!!! His art is a helluva lot better than Duncan's .I hopehe stays with the book .

Old 01-24-2013, 06:41 AM   #346
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

Man, how is this still one page?

Old 03-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #347
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

There's a new video game based on the show, but they look different...

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/new...d-trailer.html

"

Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #348
WarrenPeace2012
Side-Kick

Can we do "The Look of Shredder" in here too? I was gonna make a new thread, but I thought I'd post it in here just in case.

Here's how I hope he looks, minus the utrom.

I don't sleep. I wait for more movie masters.
Come check out my fan page at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/J-West/182762401879176 All things geek!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #349
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

this all the way

Old 03-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #350
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

seems like a good step in the right direction as far as designs go....