The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #951
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denish View Post
I'm looking back at what marketing has done for GL..Yeah, April is the month..We have something to look for also this month with WonderCon ( But I won't keep my breath knowing WB ) and then we have CinemaCon in L.A. on 15th of April..here or there we'll have toys, artworks, posters, interviews..
Yeah, and it worked out soooo well for GL too.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #952
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denish View Post
I'm looking back at what marketing has done for GL..Yeah, April is the month..We have something to look for also this month with WonderCon ( But I won't keep my breath knowing WB ) and then we have CinemaCon in L.A. on 15th of April..here or there we'll have toys, artworks, posters, interviews..
Yeah and I'm sure that will be enough

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 03-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #953
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

It didn't work for GL because that movie was crap and they knew it was crap. But they STILL sunk over $100 million into marketing it.

Anyone who thinks a studio should heavily market a film like MOS this far in advance should take a few minutes to learn about budget distribution and box office competition.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 03-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #954
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Anyone who thinks a studio should heavily market a film like MOS this far in advance should take a few minutes to learn about budget distribution and box office competition.
Apparently the producers and marketing teams for TASM 2, IM 3, etc. should take a few minutes to learn about that too.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #955
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I think it's the age we live in to be honest we're very spoiled these days. I mean I remember when Batman Forever came out. I heard about that from a leaflet from cinema didn't see a single trailer or poster until after the release date.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #956
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I think it's the age we live in to be honest we're very spoiled these days. I mean I remember when Batman Forever came out. I heard about that from a leaflet from cinema didn't see a single trailer or poster until after the release date.
Yes, the age we live in is more competitive due to the internet. Before, your attention wasn't being grabbed from a thousand different directions. Now, it is. Back in the day, a little bit went a long way. Now, a little bit is drowned out.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #957
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Yes, the age we live in is more competitive due to the internet. Before, your attention wasn't being grabbed from a thousand different directions. Now, it is. Back in the day, a little bit went a long way. Now, a little bit is drowned out.
Yeah it's just the age we live in

Old 03-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #958
GreenKToo
In the fire

nobody is asking for a freaking ticker tape parade for supes, but a few images, a SB spot, a tease on the walking dead, would have sufficed. THAT wouldnt have cost them near as much as what they could lose by not doing it.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #959
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
nobody is asking for a freaking ticker tape parade for supes, but a few images, a SB spot, a tease on the walking dead, would have sufficed. THAT wouldnt have cost them near as much as what they could lose by not doing it.
Absolutely. Little tidbit over a long period of time is better than total blackout silence. It keeps fans talking and maintains the perception that the studio is enthusiastic about the film.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #960
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I'm pretty sure the analysts who get paid to track gain/loss risk and marketing demands are much more versed in what should be done than fans who will be there opening weekend no matter what.

Who's gonna pay for all these little tidbits? You, me or the studio?

Most fans aren't thinking about what's best for the movie (if they were they'd be talking it up with everyone they know) they just WANT MOARR NOW!!

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 03-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #961
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Absolutely. Little tidbit over a long period of time is better than total blackout silence.
Total blackout: R.I.P.D.

Man of Steel is being marketed right freaking now. You guys just want more. On WB's dime.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #962
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Fast forward a few months and everyone will be complaining that that WB's showing too much footage and is spoiling the movie.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #963
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Another big film that is barely being marketed is Elysium. No trailer other than a couple of stills and yet it's coming out this August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Fast forward a few months and everyone will be complaining that that WB's showing too much footage and is spoiling the movie.
exactly what happened with TDKR. lol

Old 03-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #964
Denish
Side-Kick

Quote:
Absolutely. Little tidbit over a long period of time is better than total blackout silence. It keeps fans talking and maintains the perception that the studio is enthusiastic about the film.
This is what they should have done..and what every studio does..

Old 03-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #965
GreenKToo
In the fire

Elysium? never heard of it till just now.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #966
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Total blackout: R.I.P.D.

Man of Steel is being marketed right freaking now. You guys just want more. On WB's dime.
Yeah, that's about the cost of what TASM2 is doing. A dime.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #967
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Well my day now sucks. Give me something MOS please?

Old 03-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #968
Denish
Side-Kick

Where exactly TDKR showed too much? Spots? Maybe in set pics, you can't avoid those..but concerning the marketing, they showed little bit..

At some point I started even to think that they had production problems..Well, right after the handcuffed poster..

Old 03-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #969
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
On WB's dime.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure releasing a few stills on MOS's official FB page (as they did with TDKR) wouldn't cost them more than a dime.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #970
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

What about teh Wolverine? That film comes out in July and not a single frame of footage.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #971
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't really think the amount of marketing is the problem, it is how it has been marketed.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #972
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
I don't really think the amount of marketing is the problem, it is how it has been marketed.
How so? The teaser was lackluster but damn near everyone loved the trailer.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #973
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Yeah, that's about the cost of what TASM2 is doing. A dime.
I still don't understand this instance that WB is failing because they're not pandering to fans

Old 03-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #974
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

TDKR didn't show "too much" of anything. The real spoilers came from leaks and rumors.

And even in spite of all those leaks and rumors, we still had people swearing up and down that the pit would be in Gotham, that Batman's back wouldn't be broken in the movie, that Lucius Fox would die, etc.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #975
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJimBinks View Post
My wife is the biggest Batman fan I know. She wasn't at all excited by the movie based on any of the marketing. When we left the theater she was blown away and telling everyone she knew it was the best Batman movie we'll ever get.
Up to this point, she's right. Still the best IMHO.

Closed Thread