The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Which one is going to make more money?
The Avengers 33 22.76%
The Dark Knight Rises 112 77.24%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #376
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,090
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

I found it generic and dull on my first viewing

__________________
STAR WARS
Returns 2015


Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #377
flickchick85
Loose Seal
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 10,960
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

I definitely preferred Avengers, but I enjoyed both films. This thread and poll results are amusing to look back on now, though.

__________________
4.19.14
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #378
Cagefighterkip
Mr. Golightly
 
Cagefighterkip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Pacific NW
Posts: 4,669
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

TDKR over Avengers IMO but honestly it's comparing apples to oranges.

__________________
The only people who are confused about the LGBT-world, and hate it, are adults.

Children are not born conservative bigots. They're molded to become them by their elders. Let's leave the world a better place, people.

Love and let love. Live and let live. #NOH8
Cagefighterkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #379
James
Built from Lego
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Zealand/Canada
Posts: 3,935
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
Context is everything. For example, right after I say that Avengers after a few viewings is generic and dull. It comes off like a studio product and not much else.
I'm just joking around, I knew what you meant

James is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #380
smallville fan
Hero
 
smallville fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,823
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

*Yawns*

I can't believe people ARE STILL debating over 2012 movies. It's time to move onto Superman vs Iron Man and later 2015 with Star Wars vs Avengers 2 vs JLA.

Avengers hands down beat The Dark Knight Rises. It made more money and has something called an OSCAR NOMINATION with numerous other awards. Mark Ruffalo became the film's surprise break out star. As well as this Rotten Tomatoes only gave TDKR an 87% and The Avengers a 92%. As you look through this you can see it doesn't exactly have the best reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight_rises/

Then there are people such as IGN who cite that Bane is not that interesting. As well as The Daily Mail calling the film bloated.

Once again, everyone please move on. It's 2013, this is the year of Superman vs Iron Man. And just to show that I'm not biased towards Marvel or DC, I honestly believe Superman will be better and I always was a Superman fan, namely because I grew up watching Smallville.

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #381
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: L.A. metro area
Posts: 16,494
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

^I've learned never to use RT scores in an argument as any sort of proof of a film's quality or lack thereof.

And IMO MoS would do better to compete against Thor2 than IM3. It would have better odds that way. Because going against IM3 puts it definitely in the underdog position.

__________________
Fire up another Top Ramen! I'm feeling lucky tonight!
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #382
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: L.A. metro area
Posts: 16,494
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Do you find Transformers: Dark of the Moon a great film or think Spider-Man 3 is the best Spidey film because of the "cold hard facts"? Lol.

Apparently you missed the part where I talked about quality being a matter of opinion. All I meant is that there is no opinion type stuff when it comes to box office #'s. Unlike opinions on quality, the #'s are facts. As in, not disputable.

__________________
Fire up another Top Ramen! I'm feeling lucky tonight!
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #383
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Avengers hands down beat The Dark Knight Rises. It made more money and has something called an OSCAR NOMINATION
Of course it made more money...but are you really bringing up the Oscar nomination of special effects that makes Avengers a better film? Because of special effects?

Quote:
with numerous other awards.
So does The Dark Knight Rises(only four less awards than TA, whose majority was only based on the special effects as well...once again, how does THAT make TA better?), as well as many Top Ten lists and only the fourth CBM to make AFI's Top Ten list...something The Avengers did not accomplish.

Quote:
Mark Ruffalo became the film's surprise break out star.
Many won't deny this, but again, something that doesn't make a film better than another. Hell, Anne Hathaway had a breakout performance as well.

Quote:
As well as this Rotten Tomatoes only gave TDKR an 87% and The Avengers a 92%. As you look through this you can see it doesn't exactly have the best reviews.
And on Metacritic, Avengers has a 69% and a 8.0/10 user score while TDKR has a 78% and a 8.4/10 user score. Your point with bringing up RT?

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #384
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Apparently you missed the part where I talked about quality being a matter of opinion. All I meant is that there is no opinion type stuff when it comes to box office #'s. Unlike opinions on quality, the #'s are facts. As in, not disputable.
Saying numbers are facts is saying that Spider-Man 3 is the best Spidey film, as I brought up, though. That's why the numbers AREN'T facts.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #385
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: L.A. metro area
Posts: 16,494
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Saying numbers are facts is saying that Spider-Man 3 is the best Spidey film, as I brought up, though. That's why the numbers AREN'T facts.

Hardly. All it's saying is that SM3 mad more $ unadjusted WW than any other Spider-man movie. Nothing more. Anything else is speculation and opinion.

I never said the one with the highest gross = the best movie.

__________________
Fire up another Top Ramen! I'm feeling lucky tonight!
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #386
Snow Queen
Side-Kick
 
Snow Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,057
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I'm just joking around, I knew what you meant
My bad. Sorry, I was quite tired and in a fowl mood (bad day) when I replied so I was just taking it at face value.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #387
James
Built from Lego
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Zealand/Canada
Posts: 3,935
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
*Yawns*

I can't believe people ARE STILL debating over 2012 movies. It's time to move onto Superman vs Iron Man and later 2015 with Star Wars vs Avengers 2 vs JLA.

Avengers hands down beat The Dark Knight Rises. It made more money and has something called an OSCAR NOMINATION with numerous other awards. Mark Ruffalo became the film's surprise break out star. As well as this Rotten Tomatoes only gave TDKR an 87% and The Avengers a 92%. As you look through this you can see it doesn't exactly have the best reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight_rises/

Then there are people such as IGN who cite that Bane is not that interesting. As well as The Daily Mail calling the film bloated.

Once again, everyone please move on. It's 2013, this is the year of Superman vs Iron Man. And just to show that I'm not biased towards Marvel or DC, I honestly believe Superman will be better and I always was a Superman fan, namely because I grew up watching Smallville.
I like how you argue Avengers was the better movie, while sandwiching it in between telling everyone to stop debating. I'm on to you and your ninja posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
My bad. Sorry, I was quite tired and in a fowl mood (bad day) when I replied so I was just taking it at face value.
It's aaaaaall good! I even sent you an SHH friend request.

James is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #388
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Hardly. All it's saying is that SM3 mad more $ unadjusted WW than any other Spider-man movie. Nothing more. Anything else is speculation and opinion.

I never said the one with the highest gross = the best movie.
So your point was only that Avengers made the most money and that's it? If so, I apologize for bringing up your post in the first place, lol.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:39 AM   #389
smallville fan
Hero
 
smallville fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,823
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I like how you argue Avengers was the better movie, while sandwiching it in between telling everyone to stop debating. I'm on to you and your ninja posts.



It's aaaaaall good! I even sent you an SHH friend request.
I'm simply stating the fact that Avengers was in fact a better movie. Oscar nominations as well as the numerous awards it's been nominated for shows that Whedon's work is finally recognized after the numerous masses who all agree Avengers>TDKR. That's the basic principle to why awards are given.

Now children it's time to stop debating. It's now the year of:


smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #390
James
Built from Lego
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Zealand/Canada
Posts: 3,935
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
I'm simply stating the fact that Avengers was in fact a better movie. Oscar nominations as well as the numerous awards it's been nominated for shows that Whedon's work is finally recognized after the numerous masses who all agree Avengers>TDKR. That's the basic principle to why awards are given.

Now children it's time to stop debating. It's now the year of:
You're still doing it! Hahaha

You can't join the debate and then tell everyone else not to debate the topic in the post. You silly goose.

James is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:18 AM   #391
smallville fan
Hero
 
smallville fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,823
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
You're still doing it! Hahaha

You can't join the debate and then tell everyone else not to debate the topic in the post. You silly goose.
Oh for the love of god, this topic is not up for debate. It is now fact that:

Avengers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TDKR.

Just look at every known critic.

Now children it is now the year of the:


smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #392
HighFivingMF
Welp.
 
HighFivingMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,587
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Oh for the love of god, this topic is not up for debate. It is now fact that:

Avengers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TDKR.
Nah. Rises is factually better.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
But not really though. You know what movie is factually better than another movie? None. You preferring one is a fact, one being better than the other isn't.

But on the critics thing, they aren't that far apart in percentage and they have the exact same average score on RT and Rises has a higher Metacritic and IMDb score. It's odd, it's almost like you'll find different information wherever you look and one movie better than another isn't a fact!

Sure, Avengers made more but Rises was no slouch, it made over a billion dollars with no 3D and with the stigma of a goddamn massacre on opening weekend. But movie superiority being measured by box office isn't a fact or an argument, unless your top 3 favorite movies are Avengers, Titanic, and Avatar. Then fair enough, carry on.

__________________
Green Lantern Reboot Fancast
Writers: Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim
Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan
Mark Strong as Sinestro
Blake Lively as Carol Ferris

Last edited by HighFivingMF; 03-05-2013 at 10:03 AM.
HighFivingMF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #393
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

smallville fan, you're quickly becoming a moron on this subject when you bring up "every critic" and Avengers getting "more rewards", when I stated...Avengers only won five more awards than TDKR and that was due to the special effects as well(you seriously think special effects makes a film better? ) and TDKR making into AFI's Top Ten, only the FOURTH CBM to do such in a line that has The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2 and Iron Man.


Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #394
James
Built from Lego
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Zealand/Canada
Posts: 3,935
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Oh for the love of god, this topic is not up for debate. It is now fact that:

Avengers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TDKR.

Just look at every known critic.
The thing you don't seem to be grasping is, no one other than you cares what the critics or awards shows say. It doesn't matter which review website said what or what Ebert (or whoever) liked better. Nor does the amount of money each film made make any difference, which film is better comes down to one thing: Personal opinion.

Your opinion is that Avengers is the better film. Mine too. You can argue the merits, say why you didn't like one and not the other, but using statistics and other peoples opinions to back up your 'side' is never going to convince any one of anything.

James is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #395
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!
 
Parker Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 21,198
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

^ Exactly. I prefer Avengers too, but I'd never mention RT or critics reviews in general as a reason. I wish more people would understand that.

I only bring up those up when people say that critics or audiences (user reviews) didn't like a movie.

Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #396
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
^ Exactly. I prefer Avengers too, but I'd never mention RT or critics reviews in general as a reason. I wish more people would understand that.

I only bring up those up when people say that critics or audiences (user reviews) didn't like a movie.
Basically why I bring them up as well when the infamous few mentions how people seemingly hate TDKR, lol.

But, I would like to know why someone is so focused on bringing up any 2013 film when this thread is specifically about The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises

I will say this though, over the last couple of weeks, I've come to the conclusion of calling the "rivalry" down to one sentence:

The Avengers is the better superhero movie, while The Dark Knight Rises is the overall better film.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #397
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: L.A. metro area
Posts: 16,494
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

People should really learn to be content with their OWN opinions and not be so concerned with how other people see things. Because we all bring our own uniqueness to every film we watch and no film hits everybody exactly 100% the same way.

__________________
Fire up another Top Ramen! I'm feeling lucky tonight!
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #398
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,586
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

I think everyone should be forced to think the same thing or be forced to suffer public ridicule and condemnation.

CConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #399
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: L.A. metro area
Posts: 16,494
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Ah, but who decides what that 'same thing' is?

__________________
Fire up another Top Ramen! I'm feeling lucky tonight!
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #400
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,586
Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Whoever is strongest, richest and prettiest.

CConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.