The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Biggest disappointment?
Fantastic Four 3 1.68%
HULK 6 3.35%
X3: The Last Stand 22 12.29%
Spider-Man 3 39 21.79%
The Dark Knight Rises 31 17.32%
Batman and Robin 14 7.82%
Captain America: The First Avenger 3 1.68%
Iron Man 2 4 2.23%
Green Lantern 21 11.73%
Superman Returns 19 10.61%
Other 17 9.50%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #26
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Default Re: Most disappointing comic-book movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
Other than the way the Batpod cannon blast was filmed, I didn't have a problem with it.
Him being a co-conspirator to another, much less interesting villain is what got to me.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #27
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Ghost Rider definitely deserves a mention on any list of most disappointing CBM's. Like Green Lantern (and Hulk/Fantastic Four), Ghost Rider was a movie people waited decades for and turned out to be a big dud.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Spider-Man 3. After Spider-Man 2, I was expecting a lot out of Raimi. A movie that could juggle Venom, Sandman, and Harry as villains while maintaining the quality of its predecessor. What I didn't realize is how f***ing wrong I was.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You officially have no life.
lordofthenerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #29
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Him being a co-conspirator to another, much less interesting villain is what got to me.
My only problem is that Talia should've been more interesting as a villain. The team-up didn't bother me at all as it added emphasis to the whole "theatricality and deception" angle.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #30
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
My only problem is that Talia should've been more interesting as a villain. The team-up didn't bother me at all as it added emphasis to the whole "theatricality and deception" angle.
My only problem was they didn't do a better job of disguising the Talia thing. Fans guessed it as soon as she was cast and then to make it worse, they filmed her on a public street in Al Ghul clothes. That should have been filmed on a studio backlot somewhere.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #31
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Too bad the deception angle sucked so much.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #32
Rorschach2012
$

Green Lantern.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #33
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

For me personally it's definitely Superman Returns.

I guess this poll depends greatly on how old you are and what characters you are the biggest fans of.

1. The Dark Knight | 2. Superman: The Movie | 3. Batman Begins | 4. The Avengers | 5. Batman Returns
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier | 7. X2 | 8. X-Men: Days of Future Past | 9. Spider-Man 2 | 10. The Dark Knight Rises
747 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #34
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I seriously just can't get passed the idea that far worse films are not mentioned on this poll, so I'm really keen on making a new poll, probably in a couple or so months after this thread/poll wears itself out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
My only problem was they didn't do a better job of disguising the Talia thing. Fans guessed it as soon as she was cast and then to make it worse, they filmed her on a public street in Al Ghul clothes. That should have been filmed on a studio backlot somewhere.
Well, it's not really anyone's fault that some already knew Miranda Tate would be Talia al Ghul; nothing could've kept that a secret from the fans that knew(at least the general audience didn't). The set pics though, that's a different story. Nolan, Warner Brothers, whoever could've done all they could to make sure those pictures didn't pop up on the web.

But as for Talia al Ghul's angle, while it was different from what we are accustomed to, it fit even if Talia didn't want Bruce to join the LoS or what have you. The idea of Bane and Talia being this dark mirror to Bruce and Rachel worked immensely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Too bad the deception angle sucked so much.
It really didn't, but to each their own. Although, what more deception could you ask for? Helping Bruce Wayne build something that could become a nuclear weapon, sleeping with him and creating false feelings and then having the trigger to destroy Gotham City using said nuclear weapon.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #35
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

For me, the most disappointing comic book movie is TDKR. Although I think it is a major improvement over all over third comic book movies in the sense that it is ok as opposed to sucking blue monkey balls, it is by far the biggest drop in quality I've ever seen from a previous comic book movie.

TDK is one of the greatest movies ever made and Nolan never made a single movie that I considered to be bad or even just average (all my opinion, of course). From the trailers and previews, it looked to me like both a bad sequel and a bad Batman movie. However, I still thought that no matter what, it would be a great movie nonetheless if you were to look at it as just a stand alone movie. I was wrong though. If you told me that TDKR was made by Chris Nolan, I would not believe you.

Superman Returns would be a close second. The first Superman movie in almost 20 years and it was completely boring, dull, and a repetitive clone of the '78 film.

Shikamaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #36
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Quote:
I gotta say...I'm still a bit disappointed that someone just had to put TDKR in there, but leaving out films like Ghost Rider or TAS-M.

How many people even ever cared about Ghost Rider. To me it's like Steel being awful. Yeah, they suck but then I never gave even a first thought to those characters, much less a second one. And it's easy to see TDKR as worse than TASM(though considering all the raging Raimi fanboys on here, TASM should have been on the list as well for them to vent). I'd like TDK on the list as well, though as I said in a previous post: nothing beats Hulk for me in this contest.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #37
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

The way I view it, a disappointing film is one that looks good but isn't, or is at least not as good as your expectations. TASM looked bad and was bad. While that is disappointing in the sense that you don't like to see a great character like Spider-Man get butchered like that, I don't really think that is what the question is asking.

To me it is the opposite of most surprising film. TDK was the best superhero film of all-time, but it was expected to be so that isn't surprising. Surprising is something like X-Men: First Class which came after a string of failures from the franchise and didn't look particularly good from the promotional materials, but was quite the excellent film. Surprising is a film that exceeds expectations, disappointing is one that fails to meet them.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #38
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
How many people even ever cared about Ghost Rider. To me it's like Steel being awful. Yeah, they suck but then I never gave even a first thought to those characters, much less a second one. And it's easy to see TDKR as worse than TASM(though considering all the raging Raimi fanboys on here, TASM should have been on the list as well for them to vent). I'd like TDK on the list as well, though as I said in a previous post: nothing beats Hulk for me in this contest.
Why bring up Batman & Robin when people know it's disappointing and not Ghost Rider? Why bring up Spider-Man 3 when there are almost the same amount of dislike towards TAS-M that lost as much fans as it gained?

And it's easy to see TDKR as worse than TAS-M? How do you say besides your known opinion over Nolan's Batfilms?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #39
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Well Hulk is my favorite character and the film was a massive failure on the first attempt so naturally I'd put it as the most disappointing of all time. After Batman Begins suprised the living hell out of me by making a Batman movie that I enjoyed(I didn't like any of the previous live action films or cartoons) then it went the other way and suprised me again with just how much I hated TDK. Far worse than anything Batman related before it. Those I just didn't like, TDK I hated. I wanted my money back when it was over. Granted, this is all just my opinion.

I've never been a big fan of any of the Raimi Spider-man films and liked most of what I was hearing coming out of TASM so it wasn't that big a suprise to me when the film turned out pretty good and a decided improvement on all that came before it, IMO.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #40
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Quote:
Why bring up Batman & Robin when people know it's disappointing and not Ghost Rider? Why bring up Spider-Man 3 when there are almost the same amount of dislike towards TAS-M that lost as much fans as it gained?

And it's easy to see TDKR as worse than TAS-M? How do you say besides your known opinion over Nolan's Batfilms?

I don't think they're as close as you think.

And all of this is merely opinion. Your opinion that Nolan's movies are good is merely opinion as well. One I happen to strongly disagree with.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #41
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
I don't think they're as close as you think.
And I don't see how TDKR is way worse than TAS-M, lol. This is where opinions come to play and that's where a poll fails at moments, especially when someone is making a poll in just trying to prove a point when bringing up TDKR as disappointing while not listing the gems like Ghost Rider, Elektra, Jonah Hex, etc.

Quote:
And all of this is merely opinion. Your opinion that Nolan's movies are good is merely opinion as well. One I happen to strongly disagree with.
I got that when you said TDKR is worse than TAS-M, lol.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #42
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:

No. Nononononononononono. Not even close.

People that never touched a comic in their life walked out of Spider-Man 3 saying it was a complete piece of crap. Critics bashed the crap out of it. Fans bashed the crap out of it.

TASM was generally well liked by the public. Some critics bashed it for it being a reboot (pretty biased IMO) and the majority of Spider-Man fans liked it for the most part, regardless of whether or not they preferred the Raimi version over it (preferring Raimi's movies =/= disliking TASM necessarily).

Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #43
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
No. Nononononononononono. Not even close.

People that never touched a comic in their life walked out of Spider-Man 3 saying it was a complete piece of crap. Critics bashed the crap out of it. Fans bashed the crap out of it.

TASM was generally well liked by the public. Some critics bashed it for it being a reboot (pretty biased IMO) and the majority of Spider-Man fans liked it for the most part, regardless of whether or not they preferred the Raimi version over it (preferring Raimi's movies =/= disliking TASM necessarily).
Lol, just stating what I believe around me besides the forums as one would believe TDKR is worse than TAS-M, that's all.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #44
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Quote:
And I don't see how TDKR is way worse than TAS-M, lol. This is where opinions come to play and that's where a poll fails at moments, especially when someone is making a poll in just trying to prove a point when bringing up TDKR as disappointing while not listing the gems like Ghost Rider, Elektra, Jonah Hex, etc.

I for one am not surprised at that since you've stated you like TDKR more. As to why none of those others you mentioned, I was trying to say that since so few people even cared about them they are naturally going to pale in disappointment compared with a property with a bigger fan base, even if they actually were worse movies(and IMO they were). I did say that even though I liked TASM, that because there's a lot of people on this site who didn't like it, it should be on the list as well.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #45
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Lol, just stating what I believe around me besides the forums as one would believe TDKR is worse than TAS-M, that's all.
Believing one movie to be better or worse than another movie is an opinion. You're entitled to your opinion that TDKR is better than TASM just like how kedrell is entitled to his opinion that TASM is better than TDKR.

Stating that a movie like TASM is almost/just as hated as a movie like SM3 is simply false no matter how you look at it.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #46
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Well if you only looked around this site then you could possibly believe it, but that's myopic and misleading I think.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #47
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I disagree. Compare the number of people who said they think TASM is the best Spider-Man movie or the second best Spider-Man movie after SM2 to the number of people that ever listed SM3 in their top 2 Spider-Man movies. There's barely anyone that does.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #48
Poeman
Banned User

I was more upset with Superman Returns...It was incredibly slow

Poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #49
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Quote:
I disagree. Compare the number of people who said they think TASM is the best Spider-Man movie or the second best Spider-Man movie after SM2 to the number of people that ever listed SM3 in their top 2 Spider-Man movies. There's barely anyone that does.

Perhaps. But the gist of my point is that there's proportionately more complaining about TASM on here than you'll find on non-fanboyish sites.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #50
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
I for one am not surprised at that since you've stated you like TDKR more. As to why none of those others you mentioned, I was trying to say that since so few people even cared about them they are naturally going to pale in disappointment compared with a property with a bigger fan base, even if they actually were worse movies(and IMO they were). I did say that even though I liked TASM, that because there's a lot of people on this site who didn't like it, it should be on the list as well.
But again, I bring up....why mention Batman & Robin even when you're saying certain films aren't mentioned because of how bad they are? It seems like a very off poll with its choices, that's all.

Quote:
Believing one movie to be better or worse than another movie is an opinion. You're entitled to your opinion that TDKR is better than TASM just like how kedrell is entitled to his opinion that TASM is better than TDKR.

Stating that a movie like TASM is almost/just as hated as a movie like SM3 is simply false no matter how you look at it.
Didn't say anything wrong about one's opinion, but just the idea that someone would put TDKR on the poll and not a film like TAS-M who some feel was worse. My entire point of this little debate.