The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #501
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,764
Default Re: Downey's last?

Other people could certainly be armored heroes, even ones outfitted with Stark tech, and work fine. Rhodes is just such a person.

However, a successor Iron Man? That is much dicier. It is *possible*, certainly, but it would require more than just "access to Stark tech." It would require someone who is a true genius with the heroic spirit, someone who could truly follow in Tony Stark's footsteps. The only obvious candidate would be "Tony's theoretical future kid," which wouldn't be relevant barring a fairly major time skip.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #502
TH29
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 394
Default Re: Downey's last?

I didnt read the entire thread, but it suprising so many people actually think Downey is done with the MCU after IM3? He will obviously be in Avengers 2 and I would imagine he would love to be in more. He loves the character and truly is the driving force behind the whole MCU

TH29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #503
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 34,549
Default Re: Downey's last?

I think there is just some mild concern since I think Iron Man 3 is the last movie on his current deal. Plus I think there is a little anxiety because I mean Marvel Studios has recast other roles before.

We have the expectation that Tony Stark/Iron Man will be recast eventually, but it will be tough to see Downey go.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #504
CastlesInTheAir
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 208
Default Re: Downey's last?

I want Tony Stark to be recast when they reboot the entire MCU. I'd rather take a break from Tony Stark then get countless recasts.

CastlesInTheAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #505
UnionJack
In training at MI:13
 
UnionJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,742
Default Re: Downey's last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastlesInTheAir View Post
I want Tony Stark to be recast when they reboot the entire MCU. I'd rather take a break from Tony Stark then get countless recasts.
Marvel have already said they won't be doing any reboots, just re-casting.
Each hero will get an actor for 5-6 films, more than enough time for each actor to put his/hers stamp on the character.

__________________
ďIf you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to loseĒ
Charles Bukowski

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #506
Adamantium Man
Just Another Metal Person
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 374
Default Re: Downey's last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
Marvel have already said they won't be doing any reboots, just re-casting.
Each hero will get an actor for 5-6 films, more than enough time for each actor to put his/hers stamp on the character.
This. The individual heroes' story will go on, regardless of who plays them. We want to see the story continue, not revert every few years just because an actor is unable to go on for whatever reason.


Last edited by Adamantium Man; 03-03-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: It's late, and I had a few beers, and I left out an 's'.
Adamantium Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #507
TacomaTruck90
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 287
Default Re: Downey's last?

I understand after five years if RDJ wants to move on , but I'm really hoping he clarifies him self and he was really meaning he doesnt wanna do the IronMan franchise anymore..but still move foward with the Avengers franchise because why would he even bother to do the first movie without being aware that's going be a three movie or deal? ....I really hope hes not saying that cause disney is playing hard balling him...

TacomaTruck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #508
Joss Whedon
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: California
Posts: 139
Default Re: Downey's last?

He should just stay Iron Man forever. And ever. And ever...

Joss Whedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #509
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: L.A. metro area
Posts: 16,493
Default Re: Downey's last?

Maybe he doesn't want to be locked into a 3-picture deal or whatever and would like to just take them one at a time from now on without necessary obligation to do more than that.

__________________
Fire up another Top Ramen! I'm feeling lucky tonight!
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #510
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 25,696
Default Re: Downey's last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
They already have sufficient practice not noticing the sudden huge differences in Bruce Banner and James Rhodes. I think the MCU is quite ready for a different Tony by now.
Ready? No, probably it will never be "ready." Downey, more than any actor save perhaps Jackman as Wolverine and Reeve as Superman, defined his character for an entire generation with his performance. Audiences will take it much harder than ANY single character in the MCU being recast.

However, Downey will one day want to quit, though I suspect he'll at least do Avengers 2 before then. When that happens, Marvel is not writing off the character.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #511
cph9fa
Side-Kick
 
cph9fa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 711
Default Re: Downey's last?

This is addressed on page 2 of this RDJ interview:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The Tony Stark character is very linked to you. Thatís not to say they couldnít one day recast the role Ė

RDJ: Iím sure theyíve thought about it. I feel like I got sold to Disney for $4 billion.


Does the fact that youíre so connected make you want to stay around as long as you can?

RDJ: Yeah, but, quiet as itís kept, thatís how Iíve always been. The thing about playing this kind of inherent narcissist, whenever you kill one of Tonyís egos, another one just pops up. Iíve had that experience, but Iíve found the whole thing to be a very quieting journey for me. Itís been remarkably humbling. You realize youíre just kind of part of this thing. I think the problems begin when any one person involved in anything ó particularly anything successful ó decides that they have some sense of ownership to it. This is really something that Stan Lee scratched down going on 50 years now. He touched on something really, really cool with Iron Man and, strangely, Iron Man was sort of second-tier superhero who laid the groundwork for these other guys and gals. Where Iím at right now is that Iíve always thought of myself ó particularly since Iíve been married to this high-functioning Jewish girl from the Midwest ó I think of myself as being a company man. I like showing up and I like doing press. I like being able to say, ďIím going to take a break because I donít want to burn out.Ē I donít want to be doing a roundtable or a press conference and have people say, ďHe looks tired!Ē I want to be there. I want to communicate and kind of experience this. The funny thing is that, though I can be quick-witted, I tend to have a slow take experientially for things. These five or six years have not been enough time for me to process what has happened.


It seems that you must getting towards the end of whatever contract you originally signed. Are you going to sign on for several more or will you take it one at a time?


RDJ: I donít know. I honestly get uncomfortable with leverage. I was annoyed for awhile about having a contract where, in success, not very much changes for you. But then I got to thinking, ďWhat was I really doing before I got ĎIron Maní?Ē Then I think, ďDonít lead with that, Robert! Youíre a big prime mover!Ē I go, ďYeah, yeah, yeah.Ē I get that. I can talk about that for two hours. But Iím a big believer in being really straight and saying, ďOkay, letís really look at this.Ē I not going to pretend Iím over it and whatever. Obviously, itís better to have a contract run out than it is to have one go on indefinitely. But I guess thatís why contracts have limits on them. Letís just say that me, the agents and the lawyers are having a bit of a ball right now. I donít like this whole ó and I think itís a particularly Western thing. Well, maybe not anymore, because weíre being outpaced by the east business-wise ó of ďWeíve got him! Letís screw him to the floor!Ē Is that what gets you off? Making people feel bad? It shouldnít be, ďMan, they really put the screws to us, brother.Ē Itís like, ďWerenít we excited about the future a couple of years ago. Now weíre just laying the boots to each other. Itís just so digesting. Iím an artist!


It sounds like they're working it out, and he wants to do it, but is maybe a bit frustrated with the process.

cph9fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #512
herolee10
Ultimate Hero
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,061
Default Re: Downey's last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph9fa View Post
This is addressed on page 2 of this RDJ interview:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The Tony Stark character is very linked to you. Thatís not to say they couldnít one day recast the role Ė

RDJ: Iím sure theyíve thought about it. I feel like I got sold to Disney for $4 billion.


Does the fact that youíre so connected make you want to stay around as long as you can?

RDJ: Yeah, but, quiet as itís kept, thatís how Iíve always been. The thing about playing this kind of inherent narcissist, whenever you kill one of Tonyís egos, another one just pops up. Iíve had that experience, but Iíve found the whole thing to be a very quieting journey for me. Itís been remarkably humbling. You realize youíre just kind of part of this thing. I think the problems begin when any one person involved in anything ó particularly anything successful ó decides that they have some sense of ownership to it. This is really something that Stan Lee scratched down going on 50 years now. He touched on something really, really cool with Iron Man and, strangely, Iron Man was sort of second-tier superhero who laid the groundwork for these other guys and gals. Where Iím at right now is that Iíve always thought of myself ó particularly since Iíve been married to this high-functioning Jewish girl from the Midwest ó I think of myself as being a company man. I like showing up and I like doing press. I like being able to say, ďIím going to take a break because I donít want to burn out.Ē I donít want to be doing a roundtable or a press conference and have people say, ďHe looks tired!Ē I want to be there. I want to communicate and kind of experience this. The funny thing is that, though I can be quick-witted, I tend to have a slow take experientially for things. These five or six years have not been enough time for me to process what has happened.


It seems that you must getting towards the end of whatever contract you originally signed. Are you going to sign on for several more or will you take it one at a time?


RDJ: I donít know. I honestly get uncomfortable with leverage. I was annoyed for awhile about having a contract where, in success, not very much changes for you. But then I got to thinking, ďWhat was I really doing before I got ĎIron Maní?Ē Then I think, ďDonít lead with that, Robert! Youíre a big prime mover!Ē I go, ďYeah, yeah, yeah.Ē I get that. I can talk about that for two hours. But Iím a big believer in being really straight and saying, ďOkay, letís really look at this.Ē I not going to pretend Iím over it and whatever. Obviously, itís better to have a contract run out than it is to have one go on indefinitely. But I guess thatís why contracts have limits on them. Letís just say that me, the agents and the lawyers are having a bit of a ball right now. I donít like this whole ó and I think itís a particularly Western thing. Well, maybe not anymore, because weíre being outpaced by the east business-wise ó of ďWeíve got him! Letís screw him to the floor!Ē Is that what gets you off? Making people feel bad? It shouldnít be, ďMan, they really put the screws to us, brother.Ē Itís like, ďWerenít we excited about the future a couple of years ago. Now weíre just laying the boots to each other. Itís just so digesting. Iím an artist!


It sounds like they're working it out, and he wants to do it, but is maybe a bit frustrated with the process.

Well, let's just all hope for the best and that Marvel is able to get him back for at least 2 more films, Avengers wise.

Marvel Studios should just stop playing cheap already and just do whatever they can to get Downey on board for the next two Avengers' films.

I think once the big three are done with their three solo films and three Avenger films, then it'd be a good time to move on with new actors.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #513
Liam_H
Side-Kick
 
Liam_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8,064
Default Re: Downey's last?

Downey is gonna be getting Johnny Depp money to come back fore more. And like Depp he deserves it.

__________________

Spill


Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #514
herolee10
Ultimate Hero
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,061
Default Re: Downey's last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Downey is gonna be getting Johnny Depp money to come back fore more. And like Depp he deserves it.
Curious; who would have more say in the matter of getting Downey back between Marvel Studios and Disney since I'd feel that Disney would be the ones that would likely be more willing to dish out the money to Downey in order to get him back for more.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #515
chaseter
Bland User
 
chaseter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 42,617
Default Re: Downey's last?

I think he will do Avengers 2 and then that will be it...maybe an Avengers 3 cameo but I bet he dies in Avengers 2.

__________________
"You can leave a penny, you can't take a penny. You can leave a penny anytime. You have to spend $10 to take a penny. Store policy."
"Since when has this been store policy?"
"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #516
herolee10
Ultimate Hero
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,061
Default Re: Downey's last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
I think he will do Avengers 2 and then that will be it...maybe an Avengers 3 cameo but I bet he dies in Avengers 2.
doubtful on the dying part since Feige has mentioned on how they'd be willing to go down the James Bond route of just casting new actors to play the character so that they can maintain the continuity established in the MCU regarding of not having to reboot the character.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #517
Robin91939
Master Tim
 
Robin91939's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,627
Default Re: Downey's last?

He'll do at least 3 more films in a leading/supporting role:

The Avengers 2 (Lead)
Iron Man 4 (Lead)
The Avengers (Supporting)

He'll probably also cameo is various other Marvel films.

He's referred to by the actors and producers of these films as the "Godfather" of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He's not just another actor in the series -- he's THE actor of the series. He will do it as long as HE wants to do it -- and HE's said that he will do it as long as WE want him to do it... as long as it's fresh.

Disney is backing Marvel and footing the bill now. The Avengers made Disney/Paramount/Marvel more than 1 billion dollars in box office alone. Add in merchandise and DVD/Blu Ray sales and that number is a juggernaut.

His solo films are by far the heaviest hitting box office films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and will remain so...

Disney will throw him $20+ Million per picture with a backend deal for three more pictures. Then they'll give him a smaller contract, but pay him as a producer for the films that he has walk-on cameos for....

Now, remember -- with the way the Cinematic Universe works (multiple films per year) he can appear in 6-7 films, in some capacity, (including the three I listed above) all in the next 6-10 years. Then, he can retire and pass the role on -- or leave the limelight of the Marvel Universe and we can focus on other characters until Downey's Tony Stark isn't as fresh in our minds, and then they can introduce a new actor in the role.

Marvel isn't the same studio it was when in contract battles with Terrance Howard and Mickey Rourke. They have The Walt Disney Company behind them now. That's like the A's being backed by the Yankees. Or the Jaguars being backed by the Cowboys.

Downey is Disney's blue-chip leadman. They will pay him the money it costs to keep him in the fold because he churns out $700million-1.6billion at the world wide box office. When that slows, then maybe they'll rethink things...

-R

__________________
My posts are facts, not opinion. Enjoy.
Robin91939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #518
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,118
Default Re: Downey's last?

Why do so many fans assume that these characters must die after a few appearances? Iron Man's 50th anniversary is this year and it's safe to assume that he'll be around for at least fifty more. Why would Marvel kill off its most popular character (in the MCU)? Because he's played after three solo films? That's hardly the case.


Tony Stark has fifty years of history to mine for new cinematic adventures. There is no need to kill him off when he has so many possibilities open for exploration.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #519
chaseter
Bland User
 
chaseter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 42,617
Default Re: Downey's last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
doubtful on the dying part since Feige has mentioned on how they'd be willing to go down the James Bond route of just casting new actors to play the character so that they can maintain the continuity established in the MCU regarding of not having to reboot the character.
They aren't going to recast RDJ mid universe. That would be overly stupid and would negatively impact the universe. RDJ is Tony Stark.

__________________
"You can leave a penny, you can't take a penny. You can leave a penny anytime. You have to spend $10 to take a penny. Store policy."
"Since when has this been store policy?"
"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #520
chaseter
Bland User
 
chaseter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 42,617
Default Re: Downey's last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Why do so many fans assume that these characters must die after a few appearances? Iron Man's 50th anniversary is this year and it's safe to assume that he'll be around for at least fifty more. Why would Marvel kill off its most popular character (in the MCU)? Because he's played after three solo films? That's hardly the case.


Tony Stark has fifty years of history to mine for new cinematic adventures. There is no need to kill him off when he has so many possibilities open for exploration.
A) it's very impactful to the story (characters have to die)
B) it makes room for new characters
C) it completes character arcs and resolves loose ends

They will reboot all of this sooner or later, I think they are on Phase 2 now. I would guess they have 3 phases planned to span 3 decades. Iron Man can't and shouldn't be the lead for 30 years. At some point he had to be retired ala death or literal retirement. I would rather no more Iron Man if RDJ left. He's just perfect and I want time to pass before we see a new Iron Man. Whoring out characters is bad in the long run.

__________________
"You can leave a penny, you can't take a penny. You can leave a penny anytime. You have to spend $10 to take a penny. Store policy."
"Since when has this been store policy?"
"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #521
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,324
Default Re: Downey's last?

Marvel was considering killing off Tony Stark in THE AVENGERS.

Along with The Hulk.

Early drafts featured both possibilities.

Probably a good thing they didn't go that route.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #522
ctsketch
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,228
Default Re: Downey's last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Marvel was considering killing off Tony Stark in THE AVENGERS.

Along with The Hulk.

Early drafts featured both possibilities.

Probably a good thing they didn't go that route.
Ooo...that wouldn't have gone too well...

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #523
UnionJack
In training at MI:13
 
UnionJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,742
Default Re: Downey's last?

I don't think Tony Stark will die, he will probably leave the universe for a few years before a new actor takes over.
He hasn't died in the comics and has lasted for 50years now.

The run from IronMan1 to Avengers could have just spanned 3years, so whos to say how long the universe can run on the characters without a reboot.

Just swap and change the members of Avengers like in the comics.

__________________
ďIf you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to loseĒ
Charles Bukowski

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #524
Shazam
Side-Kick
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,721
Default Re: Downey's last?

To be honest....they can STOP making IM movies if RDJ is gone!! You can replace Bruce Waynes......but Stark is RDJ.

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #525
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick
 
Tacit Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,022
Default Re: Downey's last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
To be honest....they can STOP making IM movies if RDJ is gone!! You can replace Bruce Waynes......but Stark is RDJ.
You can replace Bruce Wayne's because it has been done before. Tony Stark will be just as replaceable if when someone else is chosen to be him. Some of us will just have to shed a bit of misplaced sentimentality.

__________________
Robert Downey Jr: Max Ray
Daniel Craig: Jake Rockwell
Chris Evans: Ace Mccloud
The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.