The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Trek > Star Trek Into Darkness

Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #76
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: Benedict Cumberbatch is John Harrison

I think Peter Weller Is Khan.Here Khan was released much earlier.And he Is using Harrison
as tool.Khan will be a more BTS villain.Harrison from 10 minute preview semed like he IS already up to no good when film begins.

I will admit It's possible Abrams Is pulling a Nolan with Harrison and Khan.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #77
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Yeah, I'm going to just say that there is ZERO chance that Weller is Khan. I'd bet you a million dollars if I had it. I like Weller and all, but you don't waste an epic villain like Khan on a washed-up actor in his sixties.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #78
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

^^^
Washed up? Man, I've gotta disagree with you on that.

Star Trek is lucky to get an actor of Peter Wellers ability.

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #79
Octoberist
point blank

Peter Weller is such an endearing actor to me that i wouldn't have the heart to call him a 'washed up actor'.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #80
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

He looked terrible when he was in Dexter a few years back. Granted, the character he was playing wasnt exactly supposed to be in his physical prime but still.....

Old 03-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #81
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Well the Peter wellar as Khan theory has been blown out of water.So eather Cumbernatch Is Khan or there Is no Khan.If there Is no Khan both Latino Review and Trek Movie have egg on their faces.Still you have to wonder why the wrath of khan theme was used In 10 minute preview.And you have to wonder why all the secretcy If harrison Isn't a character from Trek Cannon(meaning a character from previous franchise) added to rebooted series.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #82
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Really? They played the Wrath of Khan music in extended preview? I didn't notice that.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #83
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Where was the Khan music?

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #84
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Well In one of reports on 10 minute preview It was repoted the wrath of Khan music was heard just not during Harrison's scene.

If Harrison Isn't a cannon character then all this secretcy on him Is stupid.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #85
Octoberist
point blank

The thing is that the new trailer made it as if he's been an agent for a while, who had a reputation, which wouldn't make sense if he's Khan..that and other obvious things.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #86
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
The thing is that the new trailer made it as if he's been an agent for a while, who had a reputation, which wouldn't make sense if he's Khan..that and other obvious things.
They've mentioned that the role was adjusted when Cumberbatch was cast. The role probably started as some variation of Kahn, an augment, but not a 20th century dictator.

John Harrison is likely an agument agent of the federation who turns against them. But he probably is just John Harrison.

Hopefully there won't be some reveal that his name is Kahn, being a completely useless reveal for those actually within the story, like Money Penny and Robin John Blake.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #87
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Well In one of reports on 10 minute preview It was repoted the wrath of Khan music was heard just not during Harrison's scene.

If Harrison Isn't a cannon character then all this secretcy on him Is stupid.
How much free publicity has it gotten them due to every mention of this film being wildly speculated over?

Yeah, not stupid as far as their marketing team is concerned.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #88
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yeah, I'm going to just say that there is ZERO chance that Weller is Khan. I'd bet you a million dollars if I had it. I like Weller and all, but you don't waste an epic villain like Khan on a washed-up actor in his sixties.

Weller is playing Admiral Marcus, the father of Alice Eve's character.

And according to the Countdown to Darkness prequel comic, he was Robert April's first officer on a prior iteration of the Enterprise.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #89
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Washed up? Epic character? I'm sorry do you remember who played Khan the first time around. An actor not good enough to even be considered washed up and oh yeah Khan didn't do anything. He was not epic, maybe in our minds because we were thinking what was possible but in the actual movie, no not even close.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #90
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
They've mentioned that the role was adjusted when Cumberbatch was cast. The role probably started as some variation of Kahn, an augment, but not a 20th century dictator.

John Harrison is likely an agument agent of the federation who turns against them. But he probably is just John Harrison.

Hopefully there won't be some reveal that his name is Kahn, being a completely useless reveal for those actually within the story, like Money Penny and Robin John Blake.
Cumberbatch's character is talking about something Star Fleet did. It could easily be tied to the Botany Bay. We have already seen shots that seem to indicate it could very well be in this film.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #91
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

What could Starfleet have done to the Botany Bay? All the stuff with Khan happened in the Eugenics Wars in the 1990's.

- CM Punk
Old 03-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #92
godisawesome
Side-Kick

They could have tracked the Bay down earlier in this timeline thanks to paranoia about the Narada's attack, uncovered the augments, and started experimenting. Maybe Harrison is the first new augment agent, he wanted to spread the miracle of their enhancements, Starfleet shot him down, perhaps literally, and now he wants revenge on them. Maybe he then heads to the Klingon world to begin his own fiefdom where he can create a perfect new species of man. So he's a "son" of Khan and co. who leans closer to scientist and secret agent as opposed to warrior-king Khan.

-C.S. Lewis
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #93
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I'm still holding out for Gary Mitchell.

It makes me very happy to think that in this sequel they are only up to the time period of about the first episode of TOS. Of course there could be minor variations in the sequence of events but the major plot points are still firmly planted.

The reason I think it's great is that it leaves the entirety of TOS open for adaptation after this one. For instance:

Star Trek (2009) = pre-TOS
Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) = episode 1
further Star Trek sequels = episode 2 - 79/film series

In my mind that says there is still a lot to come. Or at least the potential for a lot to come. Including Khan, Mudd and Klingon adventures. Its not that I don't want to see new things we have never seen before (Nero was great) John Harrison could be a new character that is extremely fun and badass. But I think the loose reboot route has been a lot of fun so far.

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 03-25-2013 at 09:13 PM.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #94
Mr. Dent
Banned User

^ Considering that Kirk mentions wanting the 5 year mission in this film...all of this takes place before TOS.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:20 AM   #95
J.Howlett

Quote:

I don't think Harrison will be named Khan some time in the film but every piece of evidence, especially that the last international trailer, suggests that while the name may be different, Cumberbatch is playing a new version of Khan.

I mean, I think we can all assume, based on trailers and other spoilers, that this films is a new take on Space Seed.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:23 AM   #96
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
What could Starfleet have done to the Botany Bay? All the stuff with Khan happened in the Eugenics Wars in the 1990's.
I'm of the opinion, that in this film, Starfleet created "John Harrison" and his "family" for some reason....

Old 03-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #97
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I get the same feeling as well.

- CM Punk
Old 03-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #98
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
I grinned at both of those reveals. So I wouldn't mind.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #99
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Weller is playing Admiral Marcus, the father of Alice Eve's character.

And according to the Countdown to Darkness prequel comic, he was Robert April's first officer on a prior iteration of the Enterprise.
Hmmm. Well, that certainly lends some credence to
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
the "Harrison-is-April" theory. Did they ever establish April's nationality? Was he English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed23 View Post
Washed up? Epic character? I'm sorry do you remember who played Khan the first time around. An actor not good enough to even be considered washed up and oh yeah Khan didn't do anything. He was not epic, maybe in our minds because we were thinking what was possible but in the actual movie, no not even close.
Yes, I realize that Khan (in the original series) was just a one-off villain who didn't do much more than have a very poorly choreographed fight with Shatner's stunt double. However, due to Montalban's awesome performance, his villain became so popular that they brought him back for Star Trek II to give the series a needed shot in the arm. So he WAS epic and is still considered to be the greatest Star Trek villain (at least for the original series). If you don't believe that, all you need to do is look at the speculation surrounding this movie since it was first announced. Everyone has been asking whether Khan is the villain or not.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #100
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Hmmm. Well, that certainly lends some credence to
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
the "Harrison-is-April" theory. Did they ever establish April's nationality? Was he English?
In TAS (which is quasi-canon), I believe April was English.

Last edited by DKDetective; 03-27-2013 at 05:44 PM.
DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote