The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #76
Zarex
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
None of which changes the fact that it is not in either party's interest to make such a deal. Sure, Fox wants to tie into the megahit MCU franchise, but they have nothing to offer other than rights, which are only useful insofar as they are unencumbered. "Shared" rights are a booby trap, allowing whichever party is not making the movie to coerce the other party by threatening to contest the usage of the rights.
FOX can offer to Marvel a set rights reversion date, control over their "first family", a proven franchise for Phase 3 and A-list villians and cosmic characters. Marvel can offer ties to the MCU, Disney promotion, Kevin Feige's stewardship, an Avengers 2 cameo/post credit scene, and cooperation in strengthening FOX's X franchises. If egos can be put aside, both companies gain a lot by working together.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #77
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
It's not In Disney's intrest to make deals with any studio.

Some are forgetting relations with Disney and Fox may be even worse because they bought Lucasfilm.Who was distributer of past live action Star Wars films?Fox.Why do you
think 3-d rerelease of more star wars films was cancleded?Fox keeps right to distribute exsisting films till 2020.And even then they still keep the first Star Wars film rights=A new hope.

People just want Fox to turn over FF to disney with no benefet to them.

And with Disney buying companys why would they even want to make a deal with another studio.

The only way a deal could be worked out If one studio gets theatical domestic distribution and another International distribution.And both studios have equal say In film.
Well then I guess Fox is in a corner then. To have to put out a movie because they'll lose the rights and risk BO returns and not even take advantage of merchandising sales and advertising.. If you ask me the losers are Fox. They can't delay the film to make it better. Fox are selling a bunch of lip service like this movie will be great.. The GA aren't really excited. The SHEILD TV show will be in full swing. The MCU has it all in the bag.

Now Fox (if they were smart but they're not) would make a deal (with SW too) they don't have a strong bargaining position to begin with. And not bargaining they stand to lose money whether they put a a good FF or not. The only way they can guarantee a profit and minimize lost revenue if they allow Marvel to produce and allow the FF to be teased in a MCU film. But Fox just has to come to the table and they can't ask for too much. They'd better off Churning out their own X-Men films and take a %15 on a Marvel produced FF film. Fox doesn't need the FF and they can make film after film based on the X-Universe (Which the MCU doesn't need at all). Fox is just stupid on their position. If they did that that would be like a olive branch and then they can work on a deal dealing with the SW universe. But all this Fox grandstanding is just gonna leave them in the financial red and fans disappointed which could spill into the X-Franchise profits if they're not careful

Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #78
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

I really hope Fox keeps it's properties. I don't want the MCU to become overcrowded. I'd be more than cool with tying Spidey into the MCU (don't think I'd want him as a member of the Avengers until way later , if at all)

Old 02-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #79
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

X-Men are better alone!

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 02-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #80
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Worked out pretty well for hulk at universal and marvel with paramount....

Shared rights arnt a bad thing if its all mapped out about who controls what
Neither of which involved shared usage of the same rights. Universal had the ( exclusive ) rights to the Hulk, and then later sold them back in exchange for distribution rights for the movie partway through production. Paramount never had any production rights at *all*, they were just a distributor.

I suppose if Fox or Sony were willing to sell the movie rights back to Marvel in exchange for distribution deals on a few movies, that at least is sane. . . except Disney would never go for it, because they themselves are a distributor.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #81
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Neither of which involved shared usage of the same rights. Universal had the ( exclusive ) rights to the Hulk, and then later sold them back in exchange for distribution rights for the movie partway through production. Paramount never had any production rights at *all*, they were just a distributor.

I suppose if Fox or Sony were willing to sell the movie rights back to Marvel in exchange for distribution deals on a few movies, that at least is sane. . . except Disney would never go for it, because they themselves are a distributor.
Why not. It's better then the measly 10% they're currently getting from the movies they don't have rights to with Fox. At least with Sony they get the 10% and merchandising revenue. While they could merchandise with the FF but that'll help Fox Scott free. That distribution deal is perfect.
What's in it for Fox? Well they don't have to worry about producing,marketing, and distributing a movie that may not get its budget back. Paramount made millions on giving up thier rights and distribution and didn't spend a penny.

Last edited by Dr Tactics; 02-28-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #82
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
Why not. It's better then the measly 10% they're currently getting from the movies they don't have rights to with Fox. At least with Sony they get the 10% and merchandising revenue. While they could merchandise with the FF but that'll help Fox Scott free. That distribution deal is perfect.
What's in it for Fox? Well they don't have to worry about producing,marketing, and distributing a movie that may not get its budget back. Paramount made millions on giving up thier rights and distribution and didn't spend a penny.
Disney/Marvel gave up their participation interest in the Spider-man films as part of the company's $287 million dollar purchase of Sony's merchandising rights for the character.

FOX should be extremely leery of this reboot. The Spider-man and X-Men reboots had a 15% and 23% box office decrease, respectively (according to Box Office Mojo), from the last film in the prior series, and I don't see how the FF reverses that trend, regardless of the film's quality. Add to that the poor critical response to the first two films, the mediocre box office returns (in comparison to X-Men and Spider-man), the horrible release date 56 days before the Avengers sequel, and the lack of merchandising opportunities, and FOX should be begging Disney/Marvel for a cofinancing arrangement.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #83
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Disney/Marvel gave up their participation interest in the Spider-man films as part of the company's $287 million dollar purchase of Sony's merchandising rights for the character.

FOX should be extremely leery of this reboot. The Spider-man and X-Men reboots had a 15% and 23% box office decrease, respectively (according to Box Office Mojo), from the last film in the prior series, and I don't see how the FF reverses that trend, regardless of the film's quality. Add to that the poor critical response to the first two films, the mediocre box office returns (in comparison to X-Men and Spider-man), the horrible release date 56 days before the Avengers sequel, and the lack of merchandising opportunities, and FOX should be begging Disney/Marvel for a cofinancing arrangement.
ive heard about the merchandising rights purchase... but absolutely nothing about them losing the rights to work with the studio

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #84
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
ive heard about the merchandising rights purchase... but absolutely nothing about them losing the rights to work with the studio
Marvel/Disney gave up their participation % in the Spider-man film profits as a condition of their purchase of Sony's ownership interest in Spider-man Merchandising LP.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #85
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Marvel/Disney gave up their participation % in the Spider-man film profits as a condition of their purchase of Sony's ownership interest in Spider-man Merchandising LP.
Thanks for repeating.... Link?

[=]
Old 02-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #86
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Thanks for repeating.... Link?
I got this..

Quote:
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/07/...-not-for-sony/

During the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011, the Company completed a two-way transaction to simplify our relationship with Sony Pictures. In this transaction, the Company purchased Sony Pictures participation in Spider-Man merchandising, while at the same time, Sony Pictures purchased from the Company our participation in Spider-Man films. This transaction will allow the Company to control and fully benefit from all Spider-Man merchandising activity, while Sony Pictures will continue to produce and distribute Spider-Man films

Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #87
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Hmmm Im not sold that that's exactly like it sounds... Since MARVEL still has its name on the films too

Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #88
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Hmmm Im not sold that that's exactly like it sounds... Since MARVEL still has its name on the films too
Huh?? Spider-Man is still a Marvel Property so by Trademark Laws the logo has to represented anyway.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #89
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Huh?? Spider-Man is still a Marvel Property so by Trademark Laws the logo has to represented anyway.
usually that also means the other company does have "some" say, considering it is stilllll there property.

it might be more limited, but I do think they do still have some what of a say

[=]
Old 03-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #90
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
usually that also means the other company does have "some" say, considering it is stilllll there property.

it might be more limited, but I do think they do still have some what of a say
I'm sure they have a say as far as whether said Spider Man film will damage or not damage the image of the property like if they tried to change the web shooters to gun shooters, Marvel can block that I'm sure but that is about the extent of their participation creatively and financially.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #91
metaphysician
Side-Kick

And that's not so much "creative participation" as "if you try and torpedo our property, we will sue your ass." Its like if you lease a car, even if your contract cannot be terminated without cause, your still not allowed to drive it in a demolition derby.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #92
J'adore
Vous

I find it kind of odd that all the MARVEL re-boot films are owned by seperate companies...Makes me wonder if the MCU still counts the original films as part of their universe (until the reboots are sold to them)

Old 03-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #93
babykhris
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'adore View Post
I find it kind of odd that all the MARVEL re-boot films are owned by seperate companies...Makes me wonder if the MCU still counts the original films as part of their universe (until the reboots are sold to them)
The only film Marvel counts as part of their MCU is Marvel Studios projects.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #94
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

So To bring this up again to get some clarity..

From the Hollywoodreporter.com...
Quote:
Author and screenwriter Seth Grahame-Smith has done polish screenwriting work on Fox’s reboot of Fantastic Four, which Josh Trank is directing.

Matthew Vaughn recently came on board to produce the Marvel superhero-based project, which is priority for the studio.

Created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in 1961, Fantastic Four features a “family” of heroes -- scientist Mr. Fantastic; his wife, Invisible Girl; her brother, the Human Torch; and Fantastic’s best friend, the Thing -- who have sci-fi-tinged adventures.
Fox made two movies with a cast that included Chris Evans and Jessica Alba in 2005 and 2007, but despite doing solid business, they were not well regarded by the geek community.

Sources say that the new reboot is taking a grounded superhero and sci-fi approach to the heroes and will tap deep into the comics mythology, which featured not just the better-known villains such as Doctor Doom and Galactus but also alien races the Kree and the Skrull, and the anti-matter universe known as the Negative Zone.

Jeremy Slater wrote the initial script.

Grahame-Smith is the best-selling author behind Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, the latter of which was adapted by Fox last year. The multi-medium maven penned the script for the movie as well as the script for Dark Shadows, Tim Burton's take on the 1970s vampire soap opera.

So If this true and this is the direction they're going, how are they
gonna do that if..
Quote:
http://screenrant.com/avengers-movie...lls-rob-61051/
This isn’t the first time we’ve heard rumor about the Skrulls invading the Avengers movie. Almost a year ago, during the 2009 San Diego Comic Con, the guys over at C.H.U.D. (working in conjunction with Latino Review) managed to pry a little info out of some Marvel execs, which pointed to the possibility of an Avengers vs. Skrulls scenario. The golden nugget C.H.U.D. and Latino Review uncovered was thatMarvel actually owns the rights to the Skrulls, and can therefore use them in a movie. (The worry was that 20th Century Fox owned the Skrull rights, since they own the Fantastic Four property, which is where the Skrulls first appeared in comic books.)
Are they wrong? Or did Marvel and Fox make a deal that isn't public yet?

Last edited by Dr Tactics; 03-03-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #95
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Who knows...sometimes these guys want to get a scoop so badly that they jump the gun on information. We will be hearing all kinds of things like this until we hear of an actual script. Same thing happened before...

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
Maya Angelou ...

Old 03-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #96
babykhris
Side-Kick

Several characters both studios own like Skrulls Quicksilver Scarlet Witch

Old 03-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #97
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'adore View Post
Not sure I am following you here - which "reboots" are you speaking of? The Incredible Hulk [was that a "reboot" is of course part of the MCU; but obviously The Amazing Spider-Man is still a Sony property along with X-Men:First Class still being with Fox, etc. I don't think it was ever implied that they would be "owned" by Marvel after they were "rebooted" or that they were meant to be apart of the MCU.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #98
Casius--J
Web Master

Quote:
So To bring this up again to get some clarity..

From the Hollywoodreporter.com...

So If this true and this is the direction they're going, how are they
gonna do that if..

Are they wrong? Or did Marvel and Fox make a deal that isn't public yet?
Things might have changed recently but if I'm not mistaken the fact that Marvel owned the rights to the Skrulls was the reason why Johnny had super skrull like abilities in the second movie as sort of an easter egg/nod because they weren't able to use him

Old 03-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #99
fangz
Side-Kick

Casius---J = well, now see the Super Skrull was the one Skrull related property that I heard Marvel was NOT allowed to use. which would make sense because it's a Skrull with the powers of the FF, who they don't have cinematic rights to...

what you're saying doesn't make sense to me becuz the Skrulls weren't in FF2. so what's the restriction that you're talking about? there's no Skrulls.

and i think that whoever wrote that Hollywood Reporter piece, there's something about it that just points to them pulling a little too much out of their own ass. Cuz the whole thing is worded pretty unclearly about how much their source actually said. Like the reporter is the one adding on the stuff about Kree, Skrull and negative zone.

I can't see how Fox would have any right to do the Kree. God, this stuff has gotta be spelled out in the contract, I wish someone would just leak that. It'd answer so many questions in places like this.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #100
fangz
Side-Kick

I'm confused too, because in this thread I'm reading things about people trading the merchandizing rights around. But say if Fox owns merchandising rights to X-Men, does that only apply to specifically an X-Men First Class T-shirt, for example? like, in this case, they wouldn't get money for a Wolverine T-shirt right?

or does it actually work like that? I can't imagine any amount of money that would make Marvel sell the actual complete merchandising rights to X-Men or Spider-Man. how does this stuff work?

Closed Thread