Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #626
tvor03
Side-Kick

Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
I don't know. If Django can make 160 m domestic and almost 400 m worldwide without help from conservatives and red necks then why couldn't a superhero movie, which has a wider appeal then a quasi-Western.
As one of those conservative people (not redneck, though I know many), I can tell you that we didn't give two ****s about Django killing white people. Big deal. Every conservative I know saw the movie and enjoyed it. Same with Avatar (though most people I know didn't enjoy that, it had nothing do with politics and more with a lame story).

We've accepted long ago that Hollywood has a far-left bias. It doesn't stop us from going to the movies. I'm sure most liberals still enjoyed The Dark Knight despite it's perceived right-wing messages.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #627
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I don't think many people care about the politics of movies. The media cares but I don't think the average film going people care especially in regards to seeing Hollywood popcorn blockbuster.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #628
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Also look at Avatar, one of the most blatantly liberal blockbusters ever made.

How many war hawks and conservatives hated that movie with a passion.

It still made 2.7 BILLION dollars.

Yeah alienating conservatives will not hurt a movie at the box office.
Why *wouldn't* we go see the tragic tale of Col. Quaritch's heroic last stand?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #629
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvor03 View Post
As one of those conservative people (not redneck, though I know many), I can tell you that we didn't give two ****s about Django killing white people. Big deal. Every conservative I know saw the movie and enjoyed it. Same with Avatar (though most people I know didn't enjoy that, it had nothing do with politics and more with a lame story).

We've accepted long ago that Hollywood has a far-left bias. It doesn't stop us from going to the movies. I'm sure most liberals still enjoyed The Dark Knight despite it's perceived right-wing messages.
i did but i didn't see as much of a right wing message as you might have. it's not like Bruce was solving all of his problems with a shotgun or telling gay criminals that they are going to hell. i don't remember much organized religion; unless you count the league of shadows (who were very tough on crime). Bruce was quite charitable with his fortune. he kind of lost track of where his money was going, as well; leading to an orphanage being underfunded. his dad (the saint) built that train for the lower income folks. he seemed to be against Harvey Dent's enhanced interrogation. the convicts on the boat weren't portrayed as savage animals. etc.

even when he was spying on the people of Gotham to find the Joker (in an incredibly unrealistic scene), wise old Lucius was shown to express disapproval. he also made that comment about the safety of soldiers not being worth the cost of the body armor to the big money types. and all of Batman's violence in that first movie just led to escalation and, eventually, him being retired.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #630
tvor03
Side-Kick

I didn't perceive it myself. But over the years, I've read several articles arguing as such. However, it's not surprising you didn't see it because judging by your comment, you know extremely little about conservative politics, particularly where you mention that Bruce donated a lot of money to charity as if that shows an opposition to conservative behavior, whereas it has been shown time and time again that it is conservatives who give more to charity despite having a lower average income than that of liberals.

But this is a Black Panther thread, not Batman, so I don't want to get off track. So I'd like to throw my support to either Aldis Hodge or Chadwick Boseman if Marvel chooses to go young. And Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje if the decide to go older. Yes, I know he's in the new Thor, but from I hear his character is entirely prosthetics and motion capture.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #631
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

This seemed like an interesting idea...

http://collider.com/iron-man-3-kevin...ack-interview/

Quote:
Are there other characters that Marvel has that you have an affinity for? A lot of us are wondering when maybe Marvel might make an R-rated movie and that might be where you could use some of the “blue material”. I’m just curious if you have an affinity for other characters.

Black: I don’t know I always thought that certain characters could be adapted in a cool way. I wanted to do…Quentin Tarantino kind of poisoned the well with Django, but I always thought there was a 1970’s version of Black Panther, which was [a] period that could be really cool and involved a lot of the racial tensions of that time. That’s not going to happen. Other Marvel movies that I really loved, or marvel comics growing up, God, mostly just the typical ones. “Nick Fury Agent of Shield” the Strenko years. But you can’t do them because Sam Jackson is 60 years old and he plays this sort of patriarchal figure now, but Nick Fury was what I adored growing up. If you ever read the ones [Jim] Sterenko did for “Tales of Suspense” followed by “Nick Fury” standalone 1-8, some of the best comics ever made.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #632
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

could (have been) interesting to see Shane Black take on Panther, but I doubt Marvel is all that interested in Panther as a period piece..

Old 03-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #633
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Yeah, after Django any other period pieces featuring black heroes in that vein will be compared and contrasted.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #634
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Making the Black Panther a '70s film would strand the character in a time when he could not be an Avenger or interact with any other Marvel Studios characters. Writers (and fans) have this fascination with earlier decades, but most of the ideas aren't all that interesting anyway.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #635
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

It's ok for a one off film but after that it doesn't help with an overarching continuity.

Look at Days of Future Past. It's going to retcon the whole X-Men time line and bring it back to the present/future tense. First Class was a groovy period piece but that wont' work for more than one movie.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 03-07-2013, 01:51 AM   #636
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

Seeing this thread get bumped made me think there was a movie coming out. I want to see T'Challa on the big screen!!

Ke tokhme sokhan ra parakandeam.
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Old 03-07-2013, 04:39 AM   #637
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

Not sure Marvel is really interested in doing a film. It suffers from the same problem that WW suffers....the theme for both Wakanda & Paradise Island is just so unrealistic...in today's modern world.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #638
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Wakanda is far more realistic than Paradise Island.

an isolated African nation that has more advanced technology than most would expect isn't that crazy for a superhero movie series with aliens and giant green monsters.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #639
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

An isolated African nation that has more advanced technology than most would expect....and that's not crazy, or better yet unrealistic.

Come on man...

Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #640
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom'sDad View Post
An isolated African nation that has more advanced technology than most would expect....and that's not crazy, or better yet unrealistic.

Come on man...
A guy from an extra-dimensional mythological city who can fly and fling lightning bolts with his hammer...and that's not crazy, or better yet unrealistic.

Come on man...

(Wash, rinse, repeat with the rest of the Avengers)

http://myth-smith.com/
Old 03-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #641
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

Thor is suppose to be a God...that's understandable. An African nation with the worlds top resources and technology.....no one is suspending imagination on that one. Come on...don't act like you don't understand what i'm referring. Let's be real & honest.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #642
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

1) Wakanda is an isolated place. So there's a reason they wouldn't be common knowledge for the global population.

2) Wakanda mostly uses their technology to defend them from the outside world. It's not like they're a major player in the world economy, they couldn't care less. So what's so unbelievable that such a place could exist under the radar?

3) Why would you suggest that an African country should never be portrayed as capable of advanced technology even in a world filled with strange sci-fi and fantasy? Are you saying that Africans shouldn't be considered highly intelligent even in fictional stories?

Old 03-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #643
tdeverea
Side-Kick

Quote:

Come on man...
Mathematics were created in Africa so what's your point?

Old 03-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #644
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Thor is suppose to be a God...that's understandable. .
lmao

dude's gotta be trolling.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #645
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

OMG.....just boggles the mind.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #646
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Thor is suppose to be a God...that's understandable. An African nation with the worlds top resources and technology.....no one is suspending imagination on that one. Come on...don't act like you don't understand what i'm referring. Let's be real & honest.
There's a huge difference between saying you believe audiences won't suspend disbelief for a BP movie (which is quite possibly true and...pathetic) and saying a BP movie is too unrealistic because of his tech and resources. No superhero movie is realistic. Interdimensional weather gods and talking space trees and space racoons are not more realistic than an African nation with tech and resources.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #647
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

I think Marvel is interested in doing a Black Panther movie--they've confirmed time and time again that they want to keep taking risks and pushing the envelope with superhero movie subgenres. I'm pretty sure they've had scripts written for it, but I'm guessing they haven't cracked the story or direction yet. I really think what it will take to get the green light is a director with a clear vision for the story and the character. So far, no one has risen to the challenge.

I definitely don't agree that there is an inherent realism problem with introducing BP or Wakanda into the MCU. Not one bit.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #648
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
OMG.....just boggles the mind.
What are YOU face-palming for? We should be face palming.

You say the concept of a blonde thunder-god from outerspace who flies around, lifts planes and controls lightning is more realistic than an African country that uses Dr.Doom-level technology to simply defend their borders.

How is that not racist and borderline trolling?

Old 03-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #649
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
There's a huge difference between saying you believe audiences won't suspend disbelief for a BP movie (which is quite possibly true and...pathetic) and saying a BP movie is too unrealistic because of his tech and resources. No superhero movie is realistic. Interdimensional weather gods and talking space trees and space racoons are not more realistic than an African nation with tech and resources.
You twisting the point....I said nothing about his tech & resources....I'm talking about Wakanda, an African country with the worlds top tech & resources...which I guess you will say next, it is his since he is also the leader of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
I think Marvel is interested in doing a Black Panther movie--they've confirmed time and time again that they want to keep taking risks and pushing the envelope with superhero movie subgenres.
And like WW, exist in "planning" limbo, for how long now?

I'm just saying....read my original post, I would love to see a BP film and in in Avengers, but you all are missing point and getting defensive over an legit opinion.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #650
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
How is that not racist and borderline trolling?
Now it makes sense why he thinks Thor is so believable. This dude is from asgard!

Closed Thread