Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #476
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
Who else would fit the magic mold besides Dr Strange and Thor? Or will those movies just be the main parts of Phase III?
See, that's why you can't just paint all the films in one phase with the same paintbrush. As Feige said, it's not "Phase 1: Grounded," "Phase II: Cosmic," "Phase III: Magic," etc.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 03-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #477
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
Who else would fit the magic mold besides Dr Strange and Thor? Or will those movies just be the main parts of Phase III?
Like Sam said you can't categorize the phases as "cosmic" or "magic", each film is its own thing. Strange won't be the only new property in phase 3, we're also getting Ant-Man.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:17 AM   #478
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
No, I'm not going to go through all that again.
Everyone who posts regularly here knows how each of us feels about that issue.

But I think that Feige has made it clear that each solo movie is supposed to stand under its own weight, and that it's a wild goose chase for fans to keep looking for connections that aren't there. He's made it abundantly clear that the MCU is not going to be Avenger-centric; so not every solo (or non-Avenger) film is going to arbitrarily tie in directly with the phase-du-jour storyline for the latest Avengers film. Hell, Feige's latest comments begin to cast doubt on the alleged post-credit GOTG tie-in we're all expecting from IM3, and even on our assumptions that the characters and plotlines of GOTG will directly inform Avengers 2.

I love Avengers, as a movie and a comic: I've been collecting the comic since 1975. But it's always been a separate franchise from each of its solo components (Iron Man, Cap, Thor), and the Phase II movies will prove to follow that model. Otherwise, why even bother making the solo and non-Avenger films at all, if you're going to put all your eggs in one basket?
If that's the case he why did he say in another interview that there will be "road signs and lane changes" in Iron Man 3 leading to Avengers 2 and that they may not be noticed right away but they are there. That sounds like connections to me

Old 03-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #479
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
If that's the case he why did he say in another interview that there will be "road signs and lane changes" in Iron Man 3 leading to Avengers 2 and that they may not be noticed right away but they are there. That sounds like connections to me
But does that mean that "road signs and lane changes" in IM3 will inform CATWS, or TDW? At this point, even our cherished theory about the GOTG connection via an "Iron Man In Space" post-credit scene may have just vanished in smoke with Feige's latest comments.

These movies are intended to be viewed as entirely different stories, not as chapters in one great big novel. Everyone involved with the studios has said this from day one, and understands this. Because it's a simple fact that you can't go into any given movie expecting that everyone in the audience has seen all, or *any,* of the other movies. Even Avengers 1 works just fine as a standalone movie to any viewer who didn't watch any of the previous movies.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #480
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I think it's just a matter of planting seeds in each film which, when you look back, will show a distinct connection that was setting up a later plotline, and not that each is a chapter in a bigger piece. It's the way they do it in TV series all the time. You get a seemingly random event that appears to have no bearing and doesn't affect that particular episode at all, but later on you see that it's actually the set up for something much later.

They did that in Castle recently. There was a comment Nathan Fillion made to his onscreen daughter Alexis a couple of months back about not liking the idea of her doing this online video blogging because you could get all kinds of crazy stalkers and criminals watching these things. At the time it just seemed like a natural concern of a parent and nothing could have come of it, because Rick Castle says these kinds of things all the time.

However, a couple of weeks ago there was that big two-part story about Alexis being kidnapped, and the way they got to her was precisely through that video blog. So the comment back then didn't have any affect on the earlier episode, but when you look back now you know it was probably set up for this big two part episode which was in the works all along.

That's how I think it will work with the Avengers films.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #481
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

Quote:
See, that's why you can't just paint all the films in one phase with the same paintbrush. As Feige said, it's not "Phase 1: Grounded," "Phase II: Cosmic," "Phase III: Magic," etc.
That's what I get for skimming through, my bad.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #482
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
But does that mean that "road signs and lane changes" in IM3 will inform CATWS, or TDW? At this point, even our cherished theory about the GOTG connection via an "Iron Man In Space" post-credit scene may have just vanished in smoke with Feige's latest comments.

These movies are intended to be viewed as entirely different stories, not as chapters in one great big novel. Everyone involved with the studios has said this from day one, and understands this. Because it's a simple fact that you can't go into any given movie expecting that everyone in the audience has seen all, or *any,* of the other movies. Even Avengers 1 works just fine as a standalone movie to any viewer who didn't watch any of the previous movies.
I'm not saying each of these films is going to be like IM2. I'm saying that yes they will be standalone films but parts of the story will connect back to Avengers. It doesn't have to be 20% of the film that connects to Avengers. 5-10% is enough to be overarching a little. A scene or two here or there. Or in the case of IM3 how Tony deals with the after effects of Avengers on his psyche will play a role in Avengers 2 I'm sure. I hope none of these films turn out like IM2 (even though I love the movie) instead just let the little pieces connect.

On a side note I'm glad to hear RDJ feels like he has more to do with the character. That's what usually keeps an actor portraying the character still.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #483
MLSkinner
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss Whedon View Post
They have their stuff together. The master plan will be unfolded brilliantly.
Agree 100%. I believe Phase 2 will be better. Love Branagh but Alan Taylor seems to be better fit for Thor. I'm completely sold on the Winter Soldier. I do wish this phase would've included one more film though, but all is well. If Avengers 2 gives us the same heart and onscreen chemistry as the first, it will no doubt be epic. At least we have a cinematic universe...unlike others who hype their want to be but keep failing property. I read somewhere "DCU cinematic universe", really?
Imitation I guess is a form of flattery. They can't come up with something original.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #484
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSkinner
I read somewhere "DCU cinematic universe", really?
Imitation I guess is a form of flattery. They can't come up with something original.
They'd have to do the same thing Marvel did and have the members in their own movie first, but nobody cares about DC aside from Batman and Superman. Marvel's got the genre on lock. People would be busy complaining how hard they're copying Marvel, and the directors would be just trying to make films to get it out of the way.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #485
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Venom View Post
They'd have to do the same thing Marvel did and have the members in their own movie first, but nobody cares about DC aside from Batman and Superman. Marvel's got the genre on lock. People would be busy complaining how hard they're copying Marvel, and the directors would be just trying to make films to get it out of the way.
I completely agree with this, but I can see how some poeple would have problems with these statements.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #486
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnbjorn View Post
I completely agree with this, but I can see how some poeple would have problems with these statements.
As much as I definitely prefer Marvel over DC, it's not that DC doesn't have the characters to do their own version of a DC cinematic universe it's that WB is too much of a crappy studio to know what to do with their characters. As someone who grew up on DC cartoons as much as Marvel especially JL and JLU I would love to see a DC universe on film. WB just can't get it right which really sucks. But Marvel to the rescue!!

Old 03-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #487
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSkinner View Post
Agree 100%. I believe Phase 2 will be better. Love Branagh but Alan Taylor seems to be better fit for Thor. I'm completely sold on the Winter Soldier. I do wish this phase would've included one more film though, but all is well. If Avengers 2 gives us the same heart and onscreen chemistry as the first, it will no doubt be epic. At least we have a cinematic universe...unlike others who hype their want to be but keep failing property. I read somewhere "DCU cinematic universe", really?
I completely agree Phase 2 will be a lot more epic than Phase 1. I wasn't a Cap fan much before but TWS is perhaps my most anticipated film of the sequels. And I can't wait for GotG. Never read their comics but I'm excited to see how well Marvel can introduce other characters into the universe. IM3 is shaping up to be one of the best superhero films of the year. It's looking to be epic!!!. And Thor 2... speechless.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #488
Guerrilla
Side-Kick

Just got back from NYC this week. We drove through the exact area that the final battle in Avengers happens. Although it was filmed in Cleveland and mostly cgi. It was still pretty cool to be there. Imagining all of that stuff goin down. I wonder what locales we will get to see in A2. Hopefully everything won't be based in NY cause I would like to see some new places featured.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #489
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSkinner View Post
I read somewhere "DCU cinematic universe", really?
Ah, the Department of Redundancy Department.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 03-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #490
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

They can't really call it the DCU otherwise that would either be the D (Detective?)Cinematic Universe or the DC Universe (which isn't cinematic). So all that's left is the DCCU which sounds clumsy, or the DC Film Universe (DCFU) which just sounds like some branch of the child protective services (DCFS) or saying DC **** you.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #491
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

I hope when we finally get an Ant-Man film the costume will at least bear a strong resemblance to the source material from the comics.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #492
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I wouldn't mind a costume like that. Nothing that is overly modern and tries too hard to be "badass". I want Ant-Man looking more similar to the classic version, particularly the helmet. Would be cool if his helmet disassembles like in A:EMH everytime he goes from ant size to giant size.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #493
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...ision-deathlok

How I wish this could be true :/ This would be amazing but the inclusion of Vision and Storm just made it even more highly unlikely
Spider-Man and Wolverine and even the FF I could believe

Old 03-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #494
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

LOL. Cosmicbooknews are a joke.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #495
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnbjorn View Post
LOL. Cosmicbooknews are a joke.
Lol true but wouldn't it be cool if this happened

Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #496
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
Lol true but wouldn't it be cool if this happened
I guess so.
It's just that cosmicbooknews ''news'' are always so absurd. I can't even imagine how they come up with stuff like this.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #497
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Cosmicbooknews heard it secondhand from Big Shiny Robot. Who most likely heard it "thirdhand" from El Maybe, Roger Wardell, or LokiDionysos.

There ain't a pillar of salt big enough with which to take this rumor.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #498
Chewy
REDACTED

The Avengers will be killed off in the first scene and the movie will be about the Guardians of the Galaxy teaming up with Spider-Man and the X-Men. Produced by Christopher Nolan

You heard it here first

Old 03-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #499
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

El Mayimbe's already tweeting about it, teasingly of course

Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #500
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
They can't really call it the DCU otherwise that would either be the D (Detective?)Cinematic Universe or the DC Universe (which isn't cinematic). So all that's left is the DCCU which sounds clumsy, or the DC Film Universe (DCFU) which just sounds like some branch of the child protective services (DCFS) or saying DC **** you.
How about DCMU (DC Movie Universe)? They call it the DCAU (DC Animated Universe), so it kind of works imo...

Closed Thread