The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Well, with her confirmed on returning to reprise her role within "Winter Soldier", what do you guys hope to see from her in terms of her arc for the film?

Here's a rundown of her evolution within the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" so far:

- IRON MAN 2 (2010)

- THE AVENGERS (2012)

Old 03-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
lozzy.94
Im no Side-Kick

Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

i wonder what hairstyle she will have in this one. I like long hair with fringe version.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

I hope to see more of her past fleshed out, but at the same time, I'm kind of worried she'll draw screentime away from Sam, Sharon, and even Bucky.

Scarlett Johansson is highly paid, and in the Avengers, she was paid 2-3 times more than Chris Evans, so I doubt they're including her (and you don't really need to include her) for a small role.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Evans and Scarjo are close friends from way back, so I don't think there'll be backstage friction over paychecks or hogging screentime or any of that. Least I hope not.

Also, looking at the way Tasha's hair keeps getting shorter and shorter from movie to movie, I fully expect to see a bald Scarjo in this iteration of Black Widow.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 03-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Evans and Scarjo are close friends from way back, so I don't think there'll be backstage friction over paychecks or hogging screentime or any of that. Least I hope not.
Between Evans and Johansson? No.

However, that doesn't protect the portrayal of Sam, or Sharon.

Scarlett Johansson is a much more bankable name than Anthony Mackie or Emily Vancamp, and if Evans and Johansson are friends who enjoy working together, then there is a possibility that Natasha could be more important for the story than Sam or Sharon.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Also, looking at the way Tasha's hair keeps getting shorter and shorter from movie to movie, I fully expect to see a bald Scarjo in this iteration of Black Widow.
They could go with the Mighty Avengers hair.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I'm actually wondering if they'll keep Black Widow's streak going when it comes to dodging the bullet regarding her being romantically paired up with a character within the MCU.

They only had her flirting with Stark during the period where she was undercover in IM 2, and it could be argued that she had a more sibling relationship with Hawkeye in "The Avengers".

Will they avoid that temptation again when it comes to her and Bucky since they're also known for having been romantically involved with each other and both come from having been used as weapons during their time spent in Russia.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Oh how I miss the IM2 hair...

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 03-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
Sneakronicity
Side-Kick

As much as I love Natasha I agree with Bull and am worried she'll overshadow the new characters that should be much more important in this movie. I would prefer her role be kept to a minimum and that the focus stay on Steve, Bucky, Sam and Sharon. Natasha really isn't necessary to this plot.

I also hope they don't give her the same convoluted backstory as the comics (and if they wanna delve into her backstory give her her own movie already!) and keep her a badass normal without any enhancements including the lack of aging.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #10
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I'm actually wondering if they'll keep Black Widow's streak going when it comes to dodging the bullet regarding her being romantically paired up with a character within the MCU.

They only had her flirting with Stark during the period where she was undercover in IM 2, and it could be argued that she had a more sibling relationship with Hawkeye in "The Avengers".

Will they avoid that temptation again when it comes to her and Bucky since they're also known for having been romantically involved with each other and both come from having been used as weapons during their time spent in Russia.
I personally really want her to be a romantic interest. She doesn't even have to be in it a lot, just a few references.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #11
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:

I hope they avoid it. Once Natasha becomes "the girlfriend" of anyone, her days as a badass are probably numbered. If anything, I want that Natasha/Bucky nonsense completely ignored in TWS. Not merely because I don't want her "girlfriend-zoned", but also because this is Steve's film and his relationships are what need to drive the story. Two hours and change is not enough time to waste some of it on unnecessary sidekick complications.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #12
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakronicity View Post
As much as I love Natasha I agree with Bull and am worried she'll overshadow the new characters that should be much more important in this movie. I would prefer her role be kept to a minimum and that the focus stay on Steve, Bucky, Sam and Sharon. Natasha really isn't necessary to this plot.

I also hope they don't give her the same convoluted backstory as the comics (and if they wanna delve into her backstory give her her own movie already!) and keep her a badass normal without any enhancements including the lack of aging.
I'm sure it won't be the same backstory as the comics as that would be nonsensical, but this is the perfect time to explore (a much more film-friendly, less convoluted version of) her history, what with Bucky being a Soviet assassin

I expect her to have a big role in the movie. It'll help bridge the gaps in the timeline, for Steve/Bucky and the audience

It's not hard to picture how they're gonna work Widow, Falcon and Crossbones into a more film-friendly version of this story. Sharon is sorta the question mark in my mind, but I guess we'll see how it plays out

Old 03-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #13
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:

I'd go as far as saying that Natasha's flirting with Stark was strictly her acting her cover.

As for Natasha and Bucky, I'm generally not in favor of them having a big whirlwind romance, but that's solely because I'm more concerned about relationships involving Steve.

On the Natasha side of things, I don't think see why Natasha having once been involved with someone makes her less badass. The actions she does, the asses she kicked as what lends her her badass cred. Darcy from Thor is unattached. Peggy is sweet on Captain America. Which one's the bigger badass?

I'd go with alluding to past relationship, perhaps imply lingering feelings between the two. That I'd be okay with.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #14
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
I hope they avoid it. Once Natasha becomes "the girlfriend" of anyone, her days as a badass are probably numbered. If anything, I want that Natasha/Bucky nonsense completely ignored in TWS. Not merely because I don't want her "girlfriend-zoned", but also because this is Steve's film and his relationships are what need to drive the story. Two hours and change is not enough time to waste some of it on unnecessary sidekick complications.
Natasha has been "girlfriend-zoned" with nearly every superhero in the Marvel Universe. She's still the most badass heroine in Marvel, even without superpowers.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 03-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #15
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

I'd really like to see a relationship between Winter Soldier and Black Widow mirror that of Brock and Molotov Cocktease from Venture Bros. (minus the chastity belt, lol)

ゴジラ
Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #16
BoredGuy
Killing Time

^haha totally

There should be a past, and some sexual tension with a hint at a future relationship, but not what would be thought of as a "love story"

Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #17
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Widow's in the new Cap film?!

Old 03-13-2013, 01:50 AM   #18
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Yup, and Fury.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:40 AM   #19
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Also Maria Hill.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #20
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Looking back at those pics, the long and not so curly look from IM2 was her best (1st pic)

The short hair in Avengers really did look pretty awful

Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
onyxrose81
Side-Kick

I hated her Avengers hair. The length was okay but the style is 1950s Grandma hell. Let's do better in Cap's film, okay?

Old 03-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #22
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I thought her hair was gorgeous. Also, her IM2 hair was impractical for her job. The Avengers hair was appropriate for kicking butt!

Old 03-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #23
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Maybe purely for battle, being that's all she dealt with in Avengers

but the spy/espionage part of her job often relies on blending in/flirting/using her attractiveness to her advantage

For those situations, the long hair would be more ideal
besides, she could always put it up in a ponytail or something
women are resourceful

Old 03-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #24
metaphysician
Side-Kick

And in Avengers, she *did* have a different haircut, IIRC, when she was "interrogating" the Russian mobsters. The rest of the movie was her doing battle.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:42 AM   #25
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
Maybe purely for battle, being that's all she dealt with in Avengers

but the spy/espionage part of her job often relies on blending in/flirting/using her attractiveness to her advantage

For those situations, the long hair would be more ideal
besides, she could always put it up in a ponytail or something
women are resourceful
Well, she's gorgeous regardless of her hair style. However, once again we're back on her looks, rather than her skills as an actor or her character.