The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Old 03-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #351
Havok83
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official God of War Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
You do realize he was de-powered at the end of the series right?
You do realize he gets depowered at the start of every console game right?

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #352
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
You do realize he gets depowered at the start of every console game right?
Not the same thing.

None of you have to play a 4th game if it comes. But if they make it I think they have plenty of ways they can go and I will probably play it.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #353
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not the same thing.

None of you have to play a 4th game if it comes. But if they make it I think they have plenty of ways they can go and I will probably play it.
Why not? Kratos gets depowered and over the course of the game, he gets powered up to the point that he can take on and defeat gods. That's been the entire premise of the series since the very beginning. Him being depowered at the end of 3, doesn't mean he wont get more powerful again. Its almost a given if they choose to go forward with him

Old 03-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #354
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Why not? Kratos gets depowered and over the course of the game, he gets powered up to the point that he can take on and defeat gods. That's been the entire premise of the series since the very beginning. Him being depowered at the end of 3, doesn't mean he wont get more powerful again. Its almost a given if they choose to go forward with him
No, my point is he would actually be in a state of weakness before attacked at the start of the game. He has also never escaped Hades without help.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #355
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

In the end he'd still be same 'ol Kratos, tearing apart Gods with his bare hands.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #356
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
In the end he'd still be same 'ol Kratos, tearing apart Gods with his bare hands.
They tied back all his God tearing power back to the first game in the third, so no, not really. Kratos himself doesn't have he ability to fight a God.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #357
Nathan

So, then what is the point of a God of War title, if you don't have the main character tear up ****? You want surviving Gods to take revenge on Kratos, who lost all his god slaying powers and what? He's permanently dead after the first 10 minutes of the game?

Old 03-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #358
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, my point is he would actually be in a state of weakness before attacked at the start of the game. He has also never escaped Hades without help.
and what happens after he is attacked in that state of weakness? Either they are efficient enough to kill him for good (which wont happen bc then there would be no game) or he gets powered up and goes after those gods, to tear them apart. Yeah, sounds like the past several games in the series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
So, then what is the point of a God of War title, if you don't have the main character tear up ****? You want surviving Gods to take revenge on Kratos, who lost all his god slaying powers and what? He's permanently dead after the first 10 minutes of the game?
yeah its not making sense to me. If they are going to do a game, he's not going to be kept as a regular human. He's going to get powers to make him an actual contender against the big guys that are after him

Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #359
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

I'd play GOW 4 but I would have it set in present day and have the ending of GOW 3 just be how Kratos thought events took place because a lower god like morbius was enlisted by Zeus to put Kratos in a permanent dream state. Now he has been held in a godly prison for eons and he is awoken because in modern day the the gods influence isn't as strong and he has to fight to get his powers back but he has to deal with the modern world and weaponry. It seems decent too me.

Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #360
Nathan

Heh, Kratos with modern weapons would be an interesting sight.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #361
Havok83
Side-Kick

A modern day GoW game with Kratos should just be a reboot. I really am not fond of meshing the stuff from ancient times with a modern setting. Just start fresh. It almost sounds reminiscent to the new DmC which is a very modernized take on the franchise and really envokes a present day setting, more so than any of the other games aside from 2.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #362
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

I pick this up tonight. I'm
Stoked.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #363
Darkness Falls
The Right Amount Of Dirty

looking forward to the multiplayer now

Better Call Saul
Darkness Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #364
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

Any early reviews released yet?

Old 03-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #365
Havok83
Side-Kick

Plenty. This isn't rating as well as previous entries. Even the PSP titles fared better

Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #366
Drz
Real Hero

Stop the doom saying Havok, you really think reviewers back when the PSP titles we're launching we're comparing them heavily on the console versions and the capabiltiies they can pull? Of course not, this might not be getting 10/10s but it's still getting great reviews.

It's going to be up to the fans do those ratings mean anything, or is this like Final Fantasy where the reception is high but fans are bored of it.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #367
Havok83
Side-Kick

Its not a doom saying; its a fact. The numbers for the PSP were higher. And I didn't say this game wasn't getting any great reviews or that the were horrible. Again all the previous titles so far have done better than what GoW:A is getting. Go look at Metacritic if you don't believe me

Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #368
Nathan

I also don't think it's fair to compare scores of a console game to handheld games. You automatically expect more of a console game, and go easier on handheld games, because of their limitations. I haven't played Ascension yet, but I'm sure had it been a PSP or Vita title, the score would have been as high as past handheld entries. The problem with Prequels are, that you can't touch any of the Gods that were used in the main games and you have to limit the arsenal of weapons, because he gets the really good stuff only later in the story line. Smaller story lines and side adventures seem to be better suited to handhelds. So once you went through the epic journey that was GoW1-3 and the next game is a small prequel story, it's no surprise it doesn't score as well as past games.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #369
Drz
Real Hero

Quote:
Its not a doom saying; its a fact. The numbers for the PSP were higher. And I didn't say this game wasn't getting any great reviews or that the were horrible. Again all the previous titles so far have done better than what GoW:A is getting. Go look at Metacritic if you don't believe me
I don't know, maybe that has alot to do with the fact there are less reviews for God of War: Ascension at the moment? Sheesh. Don't be so impatiant, either purchase the game to see if you like it or rent it later on.

Still back when those PSP games we're launched, why on earth would you think reviewers back then would compare them to the Console launches? Anyhow, God of War Ascension has 43 reviews, that's 60 less than GOW 3 and 30 less than God of War PSP games, so patience is virtue for your comments.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #370
Havok83
Side-Kick

43 is a lot of reviews and more thsn enough to get a good feel for what the overall general consensus is. Besides I did say so far, so I'm well aware that more will come out

And I will far this fans eventually. It's not a day ibd purchase for me but when it drops below 30 and I have free time I will consider it. Right now my plate is full

Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #371
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

I gotta say if you love God of War and are looking forward to this one, you won't be disappointed. I'm nearing the finish and I've had a good time.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #372
Oscorp
Side-Kick

OK so I pre-ordered this game. Played about 1,5 hours.

First of all, the game came with an invalid online pass. I don't know what to do and I'm ****ing pissed!

Secondly, the preorder demo of The Last Of Us isn't available until 80 days. Wow! What a preorder bonus!

Third, the sound is ****ed up in this game. Sound delays all the time! It's like watching an annoying youtube video. It totally takes you out of what's supposed to be an epic experience.

Fourth, so far it's waaaay too automatic. There are moments where Kratos is climbing alot and all you do is hold you analog stick to a direction and the rest handles itself.

Fifth, I totally understand those who are annoyed by the camera. Sometimes it's hard to see where you are and you take so many hits just because of that.

Overall, while I haven't played alot at all yet, I'm not impressed so far. Things I looked forward to so much, such as one huge boss battle got ruined by sound delay and bad sound mixing, nothing that makes you think (instead they toss hordes of enemies at you to make it harder) and a really annoying camera.

I'm sorry but GoW is my favourite game series with Uncharted, and this is pretty disappointing for me so far. I really wanted to love this game and I thought "Wow those reviews probably don't do the game justice" but I feel that I will end up agreeing with those.

To me, this game is much cooler to look and than to actually play.

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #373
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
OK so I pre-ordered this game. Played about 1,5 hours.

First of all, the game came with an invalid online pass. I don't know what to do and I'm ****ing pissed!

Secondly, the preorder demo of The Last Of Us isn't available until 80 days. Wow! What a preorder bonus!

Third, the sound is ****ed up in this game. Sound delays all the time! It's like watching an annoying youtube video. It totally takes you out of what's supposed to be an epic experience.

Fourth, so far it's waaaay too automatic. There are moments where Kratos is climbing alot and all you do is hold you analog stick to a direction and the rest handles itself.

Fifth, I totally understand those who are annoyed by the camera. Sometimes it's hard to see where you are and you take so many hits just because of that.
1: I got the same thing, I'm pretty sure it's because the codes won't be available until tomorrow, though, so keep hopes up.

2: Yeah, it's a pretty crappy trick - the demo won't even be available before the game's original release date.

3: I didn't encounter any sound delays, but there is a LOT of sound clipping etc where it just goes dead silent for a second before kicking back in. Didn't ruin it for me at all but oddly consistent.

4: I much prefer the climbing in Ascension. It's not challenging, but every other game's climbing sections and wooden and awkward. This did well to take a page from Uncharted's book.

5: I know the bit you're talking about with the camera angles. It really, REALLY messes up that fight. I'm glad to say that it doesn't really happen again, though. Maybe once or twice.

I'd recommend you keep plugging. I really wasn't enjoying it either until the combat opened up a bit more. Once you get some of the other powers and get used to the rage meter and other changes it's as satisfying as God of War can get.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #374
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

In loving it so far. How do you activate the Leonidas pre-order?

Old 03-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #375
Oscorp
Side-Kick

OK now I've played some more. I don't know how far into the game I am but I've just finished off the prophet.

So, has my opinion changed yet?

A little bit. But I'm still disappointed. The sound is still out of sync many times and the music is often very quiet. Which is sad because I think the music itself is the best of any GoW game yet, even one of the best game soundtracks ever.

Here are some of my thoughts in + and -

- The sound is really, really bad. Actually some of the worst I've experienced in a big title.
- I really didn't enjoy the snake section.
- There are quicktime events in some weird places. I really don't need the game to tell me to press X everytime I slide and has to jump over a gap. Speaking of slides, there are too many of those so far.
- The combat is extremely lacking if you ask me. I probably lack in skill a bit, but it's almost impossible to keep the meter full for longer than a couple of seconds. Because there will always be hordes of enemies on you and as soon as you try to land a combo one of them hits you while you can't block, and then your meter is almost empty again. That's really frustrating because it's only when you have a full meter that you can have fun with the combat if you ask me. This is a HUGE minus for me.
- It's just not very fun to play overall. And this comes from a huge GoW fan. There's definitely something off about this game. Most of the time I've felt either bored or frustrated playing this.
- The parry is completely useless now, which sucks!

+ The graphics are amazing!
+ I really like the environments compared to GoW3.
+ I think the use of Kratos' chains are very cool in this game. I love to grapple an enemy and slash other enemies at the same time!
+ The overall tone, feel and story of this game reminds you alot of GoW2 which is great if you ask me.
+ The biggest plus and the biggest surprise for me is the multiplayer (yes my code worked today). I've had GREAT fun with it so far. I'd actually say it's worth buying when the price drops a bit only for the multiplayer alone. The combat is actually very deep and strategic.

So yeah, the redeeming quality of this game is definitely the multiplayer for me. Which actually makes me feel now that they can as well drop single player completely for the next game. It seems they've run out of ideas for the journey of Kratos, which saddens me to say. But the multiplayer feels very inspired! It's great to have a multiplayer that's different from anything else we've had (I'm sick of shooters).

I'd love for Santa Monica Studios to make a multiplayer game next time and focus mainly on that. I use to think otherwise with games but in this case, I feel their ideas for single player have died.

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is online now   Reply With Quote