Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #101
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
After the point of leaving though, that's leaves no-one to do anything in the future...

Thing with DOFP, it was one story with 2 missions:

1) Kitty in the past trying to change it.
2) And in the future, with the surviving team not counting on her succeeding (that was a 'hail mary' play and they knew it), they attempt to prevent the Sentinels from expanding beyond North America causing a potentially world ending nuclear War.
Unless Xavier somehow transports them all back in the past to avoid death at the hands of the Sentinels in the future. I somehow believe this movie is not going to follow the comic to the letter.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #102
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
And about the Nightcrawler, I'm happy he's not included in the movie. He just can't instantly comeback there with the team. There should be a big reason on why he should return and with a lot of things already happening in DOFP, I don't think this is the right time.
Why not? He's already an X-Men, you don't need to explain something like that. All mutants are being hunted. Who would you help and want go to? Probably the X-Men.

All X Men are disbanded in The Wolverine anyways and thats probably the same case at the end of the film. So technically everyone will have been gone when we walk in the theatre.

Last edited by def28; 03-13-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #103
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
And what's so bad about that?
Because it's too a major departure from the story, and one that avoids showing us the fates of those surviving members who stayed behind.

Quote:
The Sentinels might just kill them if they keep fighting with them.
They did, making the success of Kitty's mission all the more important. There was no happy ending for that future despite their best efforts, but they at least tried to fight for one, rather than all of them jumping ship in an escape to the past.

Quote:
If they really want to change the future by going to the past, then they should bring the whole team.
How do they even know the time travel will work? If it all goes tits up on them, they all get wiped out and no-one is left in the future to fight the Sentinels. You don't put all your eggs in one basket with something like time travel.

Then there's the event, the method of time travel used etc.
Kitty was chosen as she was the only one among them who had not yet been trained against telepathic attacks. Kitty could still be chosen as her power could make her the only one who could survive the process.

With an existing team in the past, you don't need all the OT guys going back too to create the required change.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #104
BMM
Side-Kick

^ Agreed. Though, at this point, I don't think we have to worry about that. Magneto and Mystique are the only confirmed 1973 Brotherhood members, and sending back Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, and Kitty Pryde to deal with the two of them would be overkill. If Singer really was going to pursue sending back the entire team, I think we would have already heard confirmation of more villains.

Last edited by BMM; 03-13-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #105
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Why not? He's already an X-Men, you don't need to explain something like that. All mutants are being hunted. Who would you help and want go to? Probably the X-Men. All X Men are disbanded in The Wolverine anyways and thats probably the same case at the end of the film. So technically everyone will have been gone when we walk in the theatre.
Nope. Just because he worked with the X-Men in X2, it doesn't instantly make him a X-Men. He didn't appear in X3 and its lazy just to bring him back in DOFP as a member of the X-Men right away.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 AM   #106
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Nope. Just because he worked with the X-Men in X2, it doesn't instantly make him a X-Men. He didn't appear in X3 and its lazy just to bring him back in DOFP as a member of the X-Men right away.
You skipped the part where every X-Men will be gone. It's the same situation.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #107
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
You skipped the part where every X-Men will be gone. It's the same situation.
Is that even confirmed?

And even if X-Men are disbanded in The Wolverine and will reform in DOFP. It will not change the fact that Storm, Wolverine, Rogue, Iceman and Shadowcat were members of the X-Men and Nightcrawler wasn't.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #108
TheComicbookKid
Coulda Woulda Shoulda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJM View Post

Or if Xavier is using Cerebro to induce time travel,

Bingo! As long as Cerebro exist in both points in time. I'm sure the mansion is destroyed by Sentinels in the future but if they have a basic version that can transport Kitty or someone else's mind back in time and downloaded through the past Cerebro.

It will probably be someone that appears only to Xavier through the astral plane like a ghost.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #109
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Because it's too a major departure from the story, and one that avoids showing us the fates of those surviving members who stayed behind.

They did, making the success of Kitty's mission all the more important. There was no happy ending for that future despite their best efforts, but they at least tried to fight for one, rather than all of them jumping ship in an escape to the past.

How do they even know the time travel will work? If it all goes tits up on them, they all get wiped out and no-one is left in the future to fight the Sentinels. You don't put all your eggs in one basket with something like time travel.

Then there's the event, the method of time travel used etc.
Kitty was chosen as she was the only one among them who had not yet been trained against telepathic attacks. Kitty could still be chosen as her power could make her the only one who could survive the process.

With an existing team in the past, you don't need all the OT guys going back too to create the required change.
So what if its a major departure from the story. This is not gonna be a 100% adaptation of the comic-book storyline.

All of the X-Men members were present (except for the ones who were injured, died and went to get a cure) when they did their mission on Liberty Island, Alkali Lake and Alcatraz. Having all of the X-Men to time-travel to the past is not impossible to imagine.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 AM   #110
Lightning Strykez!

To be fair, the entire Singer-created X-Men universe is a "major departure" from the story. It's basically an alternate reality, with 6'4 tall Wolverines and mousy Storms. Anything is possible. LOL

Old 03-13-2013, 12:58 AM   #111
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Is that even confirmed?

And even if X-Men are disbanded in The Wolverine and will reform in DOFP. It will not change the fact that Storm, Wolverine, Rogue, Iceman and Shadowcat were members of the X-Men and Nightcrawler wasn't.
It's confirmed that the X-Men are disbanded in The Wolverine, so unless they explain every single X-Mens return in that film it's a similar situation.

Regardless I don't see it as a big problem since these films do jump so far from X3. And DOFP will probably do a time jump as well.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #112
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
It's confirmed that the X-Men are disbanded in The Wolverine, so unless they explain every single X-Mens return in that film it's a similar situation. Regardless I don't see it as a big of a problem since these films do jump so far from X3. And DOFP will probably do a time jump as well.
Its not a similar situation because Nightcrawler was never a part of the X-Men unlike Rogue, Storm, Colossus, Iceman, Shadowcat and Wolverine.

Maybe if this is X3, then we can just assume that after X2, he went on to become one of the X-Men. But since he wasn't present in X3, it would be odd to see him with the X-Men right away or if DOFP is going to be reunion/reformation of the X-Men and he's there as one of the former X-Men.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:08 AM   #113
def28
Side-Kick

I disagree, I thought he was very much an X-Men at the end of X2. He was supposed to be in X3.

I really don't see it as a problem. But hey we all have our opinions.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #114
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
To be fair, the entire Singer-created X-Men universe is a "major departure" from the story. It's basically an alternate reality, with 6'4 tall Wolverines and mousy Storms. Anything is possible. LOL
There's a difference between embracing "departure" and poor storytelling. This is an example of the latter. Sending all of the X-Men back to the past, so that essentially no one is left in the future, is a bad idea--like killing off Cyclops in the Dark Phoenix Saga bad.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #115
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
I disagree, I thought he was very much an X-Men at the end of X2. He was supposed to be in X3.

I really don't see it as a problem. But hey we all have are opinions.
If its not a problem, then Bryan Singer could easily included him in the roster but he didn't.

Nightcrawler didn't appear in X3 and people would just question why Nightcrawler is back for DOFP when he wasn't in X3. Things like that need a explanation and casual viewers can't assume that he's automatically a member of the X-Men because he worked with the X-Men in X2. This isn't like the comics, where mutants can just pop up in a new issue w/o a clear explanation why they are back or why they are in the team.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:27 AM   #116
def28
Side-Kick

I disagree

Old 03-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #117
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
There's a difference between embracing "departure" and poor storytelling. This is an example of the latter. Sending all of the X-Men back to the past, so that essentially no one is left in the future, is a bad idea--like killing off Cyclops in the Dark Phoenix Saga bad.
Well, I guess my point is that this studio is not above making decisions like that so...I think we need to be prepared for anything in this movie verse.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #118
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/x-men-d...202000935.html

Apocalypse as the main baddie? AWESOME!

and if they do incorporate Age of Apocalypse storyline with Days of Future Past, then this movie will kick all sorts of ass

Old 03-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #119
BobJM
Who's Bad?

whoaaaa, the X-Men are disbanded in Wolverine? Anyone got a link?

That seems...odd.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:08 AM   #120
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJM View Post
whoaaaa, the X-Men are disbanded in Wolverine? Anyone got a link?

That seems...odd.
http://screenrant.com/wolverine-2-se...x-men-trilogy/

Quote:
“Where this film sits in the universe of the films is after them all. Jean Grey is gone, most of the X-Men are disbanded or gone, so there’s a tremendous sense of isolation for [Wolverine].”
This is a long interview but Mangold also confirms here that The X-Men are gone. I think it's near the 26 min mark, but the time on the player is odd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hajDiaJre14

Last edited by def28; 03-13-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #121
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
If its not a problem, then Bryan Singer could easily included him in the roster but he didn't.

Nightcrawler didn't appear in X3 and people would just question why Nightcrawler is back for DOFP when he wasn't in X3. Things like that need a explanation and casual viewers can't assume that he's automatically a member of the X-Men because he worked with the X-Men in X2. This isn't like the comics, where mutants can just pop up in a new issue w/o a clear explanation why they are back or why they are in the team.
Since this is a storyline where mutants are either in internment camps or part of a resistance group freeing said mutants, it's very easy to have Nightcrawler (or any other mutant) show up and not have them be a member of the X-men.

Anyways a very important thing that Bryan has said twice now, that gets lost on all this talk about multiple time travelers:

Quote:
Singer: [The movie] deals with, I don't want to say time travel, but time displacement. A form of time travel which is steeped more in the X-Men [mythos].

Old 03-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #122
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/x-men-d...202000935.html

Apocalypse as the main baddie? AWESOME!

and if they do incorporate Age of Apocalypse storyline with Days of Future Past, then this movie will kick all sorts of ass
Its not yet confirmed.

But I do hope after DOFP, we will get a film based on Age of Apocalypse or at least a movie with Apocalypse.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:18 AM   #123
georgec
Not a hero

So many tidbits of news in the past few days. Come on, Singer - give us a tweet to confirm it all!

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 AM   #124
def28
Side-Kick

So I take it that quote about time displacement basically means the new will replace the old?

Last edited by def28; 03-13-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:44 AM   #125
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Its not yet confirmed.

But I do hope after DOFP, we will get a film based on Age of Apocalypse or at least a movie with Apocalypse.
I agree. I don't want the two stories crossing over.