The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #426
AF3619
WOOO!

Default Re: Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo23 View Post
I'm thinking it's just people who weren't happy with the reboot to begin with and are just exaggerating "character flaws" in order to nitpick.
agreed

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
Old 02-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #427
Smegger56
The Smegginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead9707 View Post
I didn't think that was even mean.. I thought it was Spider-Man-eque. Of course he's mean to them! THEY'RE CRIMINALS!
Indeed. Hence the 'mean' lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH29 View Post
seriously boggles my mind. He was never MEAN to aunt may, maybe he was difficult cause he didnt want her to worry and didnt want to explain what was going on for obvious reasons. The worst thing he did was tell her to please go to sleep so as not to worry about him.
Yep. That scene in the house when he comes home after the car theif is bloody heart breaking. He's trying to hide his injuries, not to make her worry. And he's begging her to just go to sleep and she's worried sick. Come on peeps. That was wrenching that scene.

Quote:
If him being a jerk means I dont have to hear him spout brady bunch dialogue like in the raimi trilogy, by all means Pete, Jerk it out!
lol. Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web face View Post
What an ass
I know right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo23 View Post
I'm thinking it's just people who weren't happy with the reboot to begin with and are just exaggerating "character flaws" in order to nitpick.
Yep. Agreed.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #428
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick

Quote:
What an ass
Oh my God Peter is displaying emotional conflict! That p*ssy needs to man up!

Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #429
AF3619
WOOO!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

1:24 not an douchebag at ALL!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

0:50 TOTAL a-hole!

-YES
-I´ll be right there"
Old 02-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #430
Web face
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF3619 View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

"Then stop trying to be! You've only raised me and done everything you could to support me!"
Alright I need to settle down. People might mislabel me as a Raimi-hater haha. Peter in TASM shouted at Uncle Ben about his father leaving too, even though Uncle Ben lost a brother too. To be fair to both Peters, this was when both were at their absolute worsts, and those scenes were right before they payed the ultimate cost for it.
On a side note, I forgot how great that scene with Aunt May is. Some might say Peter is being too douchey but I find it pretty understandable given the circumstances and what both of then are going through. Sure, they aren't hugging eachother and saying I love you to one another, but they really come off as a real family going through hardships in that scene.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #431
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
"Then stop trying to be! You've only raised me and done everything you could to support me!"
Alright I need to settle down. People might mislabel me as a Raimi-hater. Peter shouted at Uncle Ben about his father leaving too, even though Uncle Ben lost a brother too. To be fair to both Peters, this was when both were at their absolute worsts, and those scenes were right before they payed the ultimate cost for it.
On a side note, I forgot how great that scene with Aunt May is. Some might say Peter is being too douchey
in ASM was after but still Peter was so focused on Revenge that he became self-obssesed and drunk with power so it counts in my book

-YES
-I´ll be right there"
Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #432
Web face
Side-Kick

Quote:
in ASM was after but still Peter was so focused on Revenge that he became self-obssesed and drunk with power so it counts in my book
I'm talking about the scene where Peter gets in an argument with Uncle Ben and he storms out of the house.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #433
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
I'm talking about the scene where Peter gets in an argument with Uncle Ben and he storms out of the house.
oh, still counts, i really liked when Capt. Stacy is telling him that Spider-man is not helping fight crime he is just on a vendetta and then in the bridge he realizes what truly means to be hero

-YES
-I´ll be right there"
Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #434
Web face
Side-Kick

Quote:
oh, still counts, i really liked when Capt. Stacy is telling him that Spider-man is not helping fight crime he is just on a vendetta and then in the bridge he realizes what truly means to be hero
I feel like at that point, he finally learns what Uncle Ben meant and he had a new purpose. I also got the feeling that he figured out it is more of a priority to help people than to get revenge.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #435
Naite22
Side-Kick

Quote:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

If I understand this correctly, than Peter in Raimi's spiderman IS kinda of a douch in that scene above... Whereas Peter in Webb's movie here, simply shows sign of a desperate kid who can't deal with his aunt reminding him that what he's doing could very well end up killing him. That scene, with the whole "Please, PLEASE go to sleep", is simply a form of desperation in speech. It's Peters desperate frustration of not being able to handle any confrontations at that point in time. He's sad. He's angry, and VERY tired.. Andrew portrays this so beautifully!

Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #436
mayo23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naite22 View Post
If I understand this correctly, than Peter in Raimi's spiderman IS kinda of a douch in that scene above... Whereas Peter in Webb's movie here, simply shows sign of a desperate kid who can't deal with his aunt reminding him that what he's doing could very well end up killing him. That scene, with the whole "Please, PLEASE go to sleep", is simply a form of desperation in speech. It's Peters desperate frustration of not being able to handle any confrontations at that point in time. He's sad. He's angry, and VERY tired.. Andrew portrays this so beautifully!
Nah he's just being a douche.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #437
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
seriously boggles my mind. He was never MEAN to aunt may, maybe he was difficult cause he didnt want her to worry and didnt want to explain what was going on for obvious reasons. The worst thing he did was tell her to please go to sleep so as not to worry about him.
That's what people call being mean nowadays ? That scene was so real.

Quote:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Even watching this tiny scene right now I just feel like shedding a tear.

Last edited by Ultra Nolanite; 03-01-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #438
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

As someone who just a few years ago was Peter's age, I felt ASM portrayed an extremely realistic geeky teenager. And THAT is why I love it so much.

Peter isn't the stereotypical nice-boy who never does anything wrong short of stopping a burglar. He was a good hearted teenager who delt with insecurities/fear/pain/love by sometimes taking it out on the wrong people - aka: just like a real teenager.

Free Original Music
Old 03-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #439
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
As someone who just a few years ago was Peter's age, I felt ASM portrayed an extremely realistic geeky teenager. And THAT is why I love it so much.

Peter isn't the stereotypical nice-boy who never does anything wrong short of stopping a burglar. He was a good hearted teenager who delt with insecurities/fear/pain/love by sometimes taking it out on the wrong people - aka: just like a real teenager.
Tell it like it is man!

Old 03-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #440
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Andrew's performance had great depth. I prefer the show, more than the tell method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post

Or just like any human being at any point in their life. We get tired, sad, frustrated, at any age, and unfortunately we sometimes direct that anger towards the people we care about. It's called making mistakes...we all do it. That's part of the reason I was able to connect with this version of Peter and I'm nowhere near my teen years.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #441
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
Or just like any human being at any point in their life. We get tired, sad, frustrated, at any age, and unfortunately we sometimes direct that anger towards the people we care about. It's called making mistakes...we all do it. That's part of the reason I was able to connect with this version of Peter and I'm nowhere near my teen years.
That is Stan Lee's whole superhero philosophy flawed human characters that do extraordinary things

Andrew brought great emotional honesty to the role

Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #442
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Not only that....the kid just lost his uncle who he loved as a father. Different people grieve in very different ways. I can't imagine the guilt that he was feeling. I mean in a round about way, he was indirectly responsible for his death. That can weigh pretty heavily on a teenager.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251

Last edited by Kryptonian Warrior; 03-02-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #443
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

My problems with TASM's disjointed script aside, I'm on a wait-and-see basis when it comes to Webb's Peter Parker.

Bale's Batman in BB said "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you", which was as serious a flaw to me as Peter's "Yeah, but those are the best kind" line at the end of TASM.

If Webb and co knew what they were doing, then this will be addressed a la TDK, where Batman throws Joker off the building and then saves him (thus making Batman's line to Ra's an important character progression touch). If they just threw the "broken promises" line in there just to be cute, then they made a serious mistake with Peter's characterization.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #444
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
My problems with TASM's disjointed script aside, I'm on a wait-and-see basis when it comes to Webb's Peter Parker.

Bale's Batman in BB said "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you", which was as serious a flaw to me as Peter's "Yeah, but those are the best kind" line at the end of TASM.

If Webb and co knew what they were doing, then this will be addressed a la TDK, where Batman throws Joker off the building and then saves him (thus making Batman's line to Ra's an important character progression touch). If they just threw the "broken promises" line in there just to be cute, then they made a serious mistake with Peter's characterization.
It will be addressed.... when Gwen dies.

That's what the purpose of that is. It will add gravitas to Peter's feelings of guilt and responsibility over her death, when the time comes will, and above all else, reinforce the idea of "With Great Power..." in these films. Overall, I feel it will be a much better handled progression that BB and TDK's which, wasn't really a progression of that idea nor the character.

If anything, it just makes Batman look like a douche. "Kill" one psychopath, but save another?

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 03-12-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #445
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
It will be addressed.... when Gwen dies.

That's what the purpose of that is. It will add gravitas to Peter's feelings of guilt and responsibility over her death, when the time comes will, and above all else, reinforce the idea of "With Great Power..." in these films.
As long as it acknowledges effectively somehow that acting irresponsibly is wrong. 'Cause he already did it once and lost Uncle Ben as a result. But to do it twice in the same movie? Borderline asinine. Losing Gwen is not a satisfying payoff to this, as it's repetitive, melodramatic and redundant. They need to do it better. For the record, I'm hopeful that they will.

Quote:
Overall, I feel it will be a much better handled progression that BB and TDK's which, wasn't really a progression of that idea nor the character.

If anything, it just makes Batman look like a douche. "Kill" one psychopath, but save another?
Yes, it very much is character progression, with no douchery present: He maintained the "I'm no executioner" mentality by the end of BB, but he did let a human being die. By TDK, where the "one rule" was addressed more than once, he had learned his responsibility and didn't hide behind that lame excuse in BB. This was not about which psychopath to save, this was about learning to be better.

All in all, they took one hurtful irresponsible Goyer-written line from BB and made it a character subplot (albeit subtle) in TDK. Peter needs this, too. Badly.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #446
antonydelfini
Dangerous Habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post

I don't think it's a mistake at all.

Can't Peter be human anymore?

Peter broke his promise cause he's madly in love. We do a lot of crazy things when we are in love right? Why can't Peter?

People break their promises all the time, and many times for less reasons than falling in love with a girl.

And as for Batman having a moral code of not killing anybody and then letting Ra's die, I'm totally fine with it.

We all have values and personal moral codes, the real important ones we usually are able to keep, but there are also times we break them. And that happened to Batman and Ra's.

Last edited by antonydelfini; 03-13-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #447
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

I think that it's really unfortunate that Andrew is so old. I mean it didn't work out the first time when they hired 25/26 year old Tobey Maguire to play Spider-Man, how is it any different hiring 27 year old Andrew to play him? Not just the fans but the studio themselves thought Tobey looked too old to be Peter in SM3, perhaps part of the reason they pulled the plug on SM4.

I mean Andrew doesn't look 17/18 anymore, he looks about 25+ and with Shailene Woodely looking extremely young for her age and being almost 10 years younger than him I wonder if it will look more like her father on the screen. It will give a total ick factor to their relationship in the sequel IMO.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #448
Creator
Banned User

The general audience don't give a damn about their real age, it's moot to the masses. If you say they're in high school then so be it. This is just more fanboy crap that the masses care nothing about.

Last edited by Creator; 03-27-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:08 AM   #449
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDreamer View Post
I think that it's really unfortunate that Andrew is so old. I mean it didn't work out the first time when they hired 25/26 year old Tobey Maguire to play Spider-Man, how is it any different hiring 27 year old Andrew to play him? Not just the fans but the studio themselves thought Tobey looked too old to be Peter in SM3, perhaps part of the reason they pulled the plug on SM4.

I mean Andrew doesn't look 17/18 anymore, he looks about 25+ and with Shailene Woodely looking extremely young for her age and being almost 10 years younger than him I wonder if it will look more like her father on the screen. It will give a total ick factor to their relationship in the sequel IMO.
I think he looks youthful enough. His lanky appearance helps with this (although he's bulkier this time around, so who knows).

Old 03-27-2013, 03:33 AM   #450
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydelfini View Post
I don't think it's a mistake at all.

Can't Peter be human anymore?

Peter broke his promise cause he's madly in love. We do a lot of crazy things when we are in love right? Why can't Peter?

People break their promises all the time, and many times for less reasons than falling in love with a girl.
Vid Electricz or something like that has debated this already with someone, so I'm not gonna go on about it too long.

But look at the bolded part. Didn't you just describe what a mistake is? And the very fact that you used the phrase "Can't Peter be human anymore?", which is a very good question, means that you acknowledge it as a mistake, too. You did indirectly mean to say "To err is human", didn't you? Think about it.

That it was a mistake is not up for debate. It really was. What I'm willing to argue is how justified that mistake was and how good writing it was to have him make it. I'm all ears.

What remains to be seen is if the writers intend to take this somewhere. The Nolans did. Will Orci and Kurtzman (I know K&O didn't write TASM)? The fact that they placed it at the very end of the movie is both good and bad to me. Bad because it closes the movie with Peter consciously breaking a promise (which looks bad on Peter, no matter how you, me or anyone tries to spin it). Good, because as a movie closer it's a big deal, which fills me with hope that they'll do something with it. I'm not even sure if that "something" is Gwen's death, though.

Quote:
And as for Batman having a moral code of not killing anybody and then letting Ra's die, I'm totally fine with it.

We all have values and personal moral codes, the real important ones we usually are able to keep, but there are also times we break them. And that happened to Batman and Ra's.
The problem is that Batman didn't have to break it at that moment. He could've easily saved Ra's. He consciously chose to let him die. He didn't kill him, so he's not an executioner, but he did the next worst thing. I had a REAL problem with it, but I predicted that we'd get a Joker-rescue moment in the Untitled BB Sequel and we did, so I was fine.

What you said, "but there are also times we break them", happened at the monastery in BB and when Batman hit tre truck with the Tumbler in TDK, probably killing the driver. He also broke his rule in TDKR when he killed the HEMTT driver and unloaded every ounce of firepower on Talia, knowing he'd eventually have to kill her. But by that point it was justified in the sense you mean.

Closed Thread