The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episodes I - III

Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #76
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

Default Re: The Prequel Trilogy General Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Terrence Stamp, who played Chancellor Valorum in STAR WARS: EPISODE I- THE PHANTOM MENACE, recently spoke with Empire about his experience working with George Lucas.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/tere...f-george-lucas
That doesn't surprise me in the least bit. I still love the prequels, and I can see Lucas as that type of director. At least Episode I still utilized a lot of real visuals before going almost full CGI with the latter films.

The description actually reminds me of something from Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, at the 3:43 mark. :

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 01-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #77
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

By his own admission Lucas has said he's not an actors' director anymore. So that sounds about right.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #78
Thoix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaBinks View Post
Interesting that SW.com said postponed instead of canceled.

I'm curious why many of the media outlets claim that TPM 3D underperformed. How much was it supposed to make? It was a 1999 film that was just released on Blu Ray a few months prior that many people already owned on DVD and VHS. Was it supposed it gross 100 million domestically?
A lot of media outlets claimed it underperformed to just bash the films. A lot of outlets will do anything to put the prequels and Lucas in a bad light. Some outlets will actually call fans of the prequels idiots because they're hate for Lucas/the prequels is that strong.

I don't read from the media outlets anymore, especially when they edit their sources to just bash something they hate.

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #79
Thoix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Terrence Stamp, who played Chancellor Valorum in STAR WARS: EPISODE I- THE PHANTOM MENACE, recently spoke with Empire about his experience working with George Lucas.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/tere...f-george-lucas
I can agree with that, but the question was left unanswered: Did he get to meet Portman or not? I mean, they were on the same landing platform in the movie together. Hell, they're both in the same shot once or twice. Now I'm just confused.

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #80
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

From what I gather, the TPM re-release did rather well, it just had a disappointing opening weekend (who cares?)

Old 01-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #81
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoix View Post
I can agree with that, but the question was left unanswered: Did he get to meet Portman or not? I mean, they were on the same landing platform in the movie together. Hell, they're both in the same shot once or twice. Now I'm just confused.
Th article said he did, but that he didn't at the time of filming that scene.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #82
Bim
Side-Kick

I saw this and had to post it somewhere

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #83
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #84
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post

Almost all of those prequels pictures are from Episode III, the one that was well received and closest to the originals lol.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #85
Drakepool
Side-Kick

"Prequel vs. Trilogy"?

lolwut

Drakepool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #86
BenKenobi
Banned User

I really liked the scene in the Phantom Menace where Yoda tells Anakin about fear and the Dark Side and ends saying "I sense much fear in you". Anakin's motives really were centered around fear of losing those close to him and he was only completely lost when he felt he lost Padme to Obi-Wan.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #87
Han Solo
Scruffy Nerfherder

Quote:

Han Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #88
Bim
Side-Kick

I re-watched ROTS yesterday and i gotta say, order 66 still gets to me . The score was just perfect for that moment. I need to start a SW music thread in the saga forum

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 03-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #89
batfreakforever
A real fan

The hate towards the prequels is insane. Never understood the hate. They are part of the story that George created. I have enjoyed each movie. They are supposed to be different from the original trilogy. Yeah they have their links to eachother but are ment to be different. One story but each episode alittle different. Different settings, times, characters, fights etc. I love how fans say Lucas got lazy with the prequels, those people could'nt be more wrong. Lucas gave us new worlds, did things with characters from the original trilogy that he could'nt do with them in that trilogy. He used anakin to show us these new settings, worlds etc. People complain about the acting, really. Did people not watch the original trilogy. It didn't have that great of acting in it. But the acting in both trilogys has acting that is good for the storys that Lucas wants to tell. I don't have a favorite out of the 6 films. People only like empire the most because its so called darker but no darker the revenge of the sith. Jedi gets hate because fans dont want to admit what Lucas has said all along that the series is for familys,kids and young adults. Thats also why phantom menace gets hate. Attack of the clones gets hate because of the love story. And sith only is more liked out of the prequels because its darker like empire.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #90
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfreakforever View Post
The hate towards the prequels is insane. Never understood the hate. They are part of the story that George created.
It depends on who you ask. There are some fans who irrationally hate them and everything related to them (themes, ideas, characters), and they are pretty nuts. There are some legitimate complaints.

Quote:
I have enjoyed each movie. They are supposed to be different from the original trilogy. Yeah they have their links to eachother but are ment to be different. One story but each episode alittle different. Different settings, times, characters, fights etc.
I agree, they're both two different stories, but there are some pretty big stretches some have found hard to swallow as Lucas did go a bit over the top making it looks bright and elegant. It's not something that bothers me, but I do see where they are coming from. Not to mention it's pretty undeniable everyone got chills when they saw Vader and the Emperor in the protostar destroyer deck in Sith. More of the would certainly have not hurt.

Quote:
I love how fans say Lucas got lazy with the prequels, those people could'nt be more wrong. Lucas gave us new worlds, did things with characters from the original trilogy that he could'nt do with them in that trilogy. He used anakin to show us these new settings, worlds etc.
You have to keep in mind there were a lot of plot holes in the movies and unresolved story arcs in the films. Like why is the Federation blockading Naboo, Palpatines plan being a bit contrived and overly thought out (something Lucas has been doing since Luke in Jedi), etc. Not to mention most people don't say he got lazy as much as he refused to get off his high horse. When he was writin these films, as opposed to the originals, he was the big shot and he surrounded himself with yes men and didn't have much help from other writers. See originally Lucas had his wife Maria who helped a great deal in writing, Sci-Fi writers, Gary Kurtz, his producers, all influencing the writing. He didn't even direct Empire or Jedi either. He had a very different vision of Star Wars than what came out, Luke was an old man, Han was blue, people helped him focus his vision.

Quote:
People complain about the acting, really. Did people not watch the original trilogy. It didn't have that great of acting in it. But the acting in both trilogys has acting that is good for the storys that Lucas wants to tell.
The acting wasn't so much Lucas's fault as a result of his at the time unconventional techniques. See in the originals films the actors were on practical sets and could visualize exactly where their characters were, what they were seeing, and could play up small details. One great example is Peter Cushing trying to comfort Carrie Fischer on the set of A New Hope (she was nervous about working with a seasoned actor like him) and told her it was her scene explaining she was the source of purity and hope, where as he was grim and untwist worthy, telling her to stand in the light source and he would remain a bit back in the shadows. Not to mention the actors were given more room to improvise by the other directors than Lucas, some great lines like the classic "I love you" "I know" were improv. It made the hammy acting a bit more acceptable.

Another problem was that while Mark Hamil was hammy playing a character named Luke we were meeting for the first time, Hayden and Jake were playing the menacing Darth Vader who'd become a fearsome cultural icon. They were doomed from the beginning as they would have to compensate a great deal for this from the start. I understand where Lucas was coming from casting Hayden but he really should have gone with DiCraprio or one of the other more experienced actors who'd expressed interest in the role rather than going the Christopher Reeves unknown route.

Quote:
I don't have a favorite out of the 6 films. People only like empire the most because its so called darker but no darker the revenge of the sith. Jedi gets hate because fans dont want to admit what Lucas has said all along that the series is for familys,kids and young adults.
You're right that Empire is often praised for being dark, but thats just a generalization. It's probably the most tightly written, directed, and edited film out of the saga. Lucas went all out with the film he enlisted the help of a professional science fiction writer to pull out a first screen play, his more technically oriented film professor Kershner to direct, and his wife Maria to help edit. The movie is pretty much perfect, it has deep philosophical themes about coming of age, assumed truths, loss of innocence, and introduced many iconic characters and moments. The movie is also very good at explaining things subliminally through character placement and camera angles.

For example when we see the bounty hunters for the first time, they are standing above the imperials, implying they are above the law. Boosk snarls something incompressible to one of the officers that gets too close to his foot and we see the fear in his face, instantly registering them subconsciously as a threat. Through out the whole movie Vader is shot over the shoulder or from a perspective where the other actors are looking up at him. This too implies domininse, fear, and power, the only exception being the brief scene he speaks to the Emperor. It was just technically the best put together of the films.

Now you also bring up Jedi and claim people hate it because it's kid friendly. No, Empire and Star Wars were kid friendly too. One problem with Jedi is it's just hard to make a good third installment of a trilogy. That aside Lucas's heart just wasn't in it, he was losing his family and having a lot of emotional issues. The lighting and the camera angles for the most part were pretty TV movie quality, the guy just wanted to get it out of the way. The biggest problem with Jedi though is that it's the big climax but most of the movie is pretty inconsequential. Nothing really happens on Endor, it just kind of drags between Jabba's Palace and The Throne Room scenes. There should be a lot more going on with how much is at stake. However there emotions and themes about father and son are so good many over look it and see it as the best one.

Quote:
Thats also why phantom menace gets hate. Attack of the clones gets hate because of the love story. And sith only is more liked out of the prequels because its darker like empire.
See thats just not it. The other movies were kid friendly too, but they were just pulled off better. A lot of people who don't like the prequels, like aspects of the prequels and call them disappointments rather than horrible concepts. The Phantom Menace was horribly paced, filled with unintelligent slapstick humor, and unthoughtful writing (Anakin blew up the ship by accident) and as you said Attack of the Clones had the half baked love story. It was just not what it could have been or should have been, especially compared to what others have done with these worlds and characters. Sith is darker and cuts out most of the head scratching moments which is why it's better received, but it's bogged down by trying to compensate for the films it was following.

I'm not trying to say you can't think the prequels were good or enjoy them, but you didn't seem to understand the whole argument against them or why the old films were praised in general.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #91
Swansea
Side-Kick

I don't hate the prequels, I can sit through them and enjoy them, though the thing that gets me, and I assume a lot of other fans of the original series is the amount of plain stupid, irrational and irritating decisions that were made in the making of them. Be those story, design, script or acting based. ROTS is clearly the best of the three and has far less problems than the other two. The main problem is, they could have been so much better.

Swansea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #92
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansea View Post
I don't hate the prequels, I can sit through them and enjoy them, though the thing that gets me, and I assume a lot of other fans of the original series is the amount of plain stupid, irrational and irritating decisions that were made in the making of them. Be those story, design, script or acting based. ROTS is clearly the best of the three and has far less problems than the other two. The main problem is, they could have been so much better.
Well put.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #93
batfreakforever
A real fan

[QUOTE=BenKenobi;25386599]It depends on who you ask. There are some fans who irrationally hate them and everything related to them (themes, ideas, characters), and they are pretty nuts. There are some legitimate complaints.

I agree, they're both two different stories, but there are some pretty big stretches some have found hard to swallow as Lucas did go a bit over the top making it looks bright and elegant. It's not something that bothers me, but I do see where they are coming from. Not to mention it's pretty undeniable everyone got chills when they saw Vader and the Emperor in the protostar destroyer deck in Sith. More of the would certainly have not hurt.

You have to keep in mind there were a lot of plot holes in the movies and unresolved story arcs in the films. Like why is the Federation blockading Naboo, Palpatines plan being a bit contrived and overly thought out (something Lucas has been doing since Luke in Jedi), etc. Not to mention most people don't say he got lazy as much as he refused to get off his high horse. When he was writin these films, as opposed to the originals, he was the big shot and he surrounded himself with yes men and didn't have much help from other writers. See originally Lucas had his wife Maria who helped a great deal in writing, Sci-Fi writers, Gary Kurtz, his producers, all influencing the writing. He didn't even direct Empire or Jedi either. He had a very different vision of Star Wars than what came out, Luke was an old man, Han was blue, people helped him focus his vision.

The acting wasn't so much Lucas's fault as a result of his at the time unconventional techniques. See in the originals films the actors were on practical sets and could visualize exactly where their characters were, what they were seeing, and could play up small details. One great example is Peter Cushing trying to comfort Carrie Fischer on the set of A New Hope (she was nervous about working with a seasoned actor like him) and told her it was her scene explaining she was the source of purity and hope, where as he was grim and untwist worthy, telling her to stand in the light source and he would remain a bit back in the shadows. Not to mention the actors were given more room to improvise by the other directors than Lucas, some great lines like the classic "I love you" "I know" were improv. It made the hammy acting a bit more acceptable.

Another problem was that while Mark Hamil was hammy playing a character named Luke we were meeting for the first time, Hayden and Jake were playing the menacing Darth Vader who'd become a fearsome cultural icon. They were doomed from the beginning as they would have to compensate a great deal for this from the start. I understand where Lucas was coming from casting Hayden but he really should have gone with DiCraprio or one of the other more experienced actors who'd expressed interest in the role rather than going the Christopher Reeves unknown route.

You're right that Empire is often praised for being dark, but thats just a generalization. It's probably the most tightly written, directed, and edited film out of the saga. Lucas went all out with the film he enlisted the help of a professional science fiction writer to pull out a first screen play, his more technically oriented film professor Kershner to direct, and his wife Maria to help edit. The movie is pretty much perfect, it has deep philosophical themes about coming of age, assumed truths, loss of innocence, and introduced many iconic characters and moments. The movie is also very good at explaining things subliminally through character placement and camera angles.

For example when we see the bounty hunters for the first time, they are standing above the imperials, implying they are above the law. Boosk snarls something incompressible to one of the officers that gets too close to his foot and we see the fear in his face, instantly registering them subconsciously as a threat. Through out the whole movie Vader is shot over the shoulder or from a perspective where the other actors are looking up at him. This too implies domininse, fear, and power, the only exception being the brief scene he speaks to the Emperor. It was just technically the best put together of the films.

Now you also bring up Jedi and claim people hate it because it's kid friendly. No, Empire and Star Wars were kid friendly too. One problem with Jedi is it's just hard to make a good third installment of a trilogy. That aside Lucas's heart just wasn't in it, he was losing his family and having a lot of emotional issues. The lighting and the camera angles for the most part were pretty TV movie quality, the guy just wanted to get it out of the way. The biggest problem with Jedi though is that it's the big climax but most of the movie is pretty inconsequential. Nothing really happens on Endor, it just kind of drags between Jabba's Palace and The Throne Room scenes. There should be a lot more going on with how much is at stake. However there emotions and themes about father and son are so good many over look it and see it as the best one.

See thats just not it. The other movies were kid friendly too, but they were just pulled off better. A lot of people who don't like the prequels, like aspects of the prequels and call them disappointments rather than horrible concepts. The Phantom Menace was horribly paced, filled with unintelligent slapstick humor, and unthoughtful writing (Anakin blew up the ship by accident) and as you said Attack of the Clones had the half baked love story. It was just not what it could have been or should have been, especially compared to what others have done with these worlds and characters. Sith is darker and cuts out most of the head scratching moments which is why it's better received, but it's bogged down by trying to compensate for the films it was following.

I'm not trying to say you can't think the prequels were good or enjoy them, but you didn't seem to understand the whole argument against them or why the old films were praised in general.[/QUOTE Thanks mate for replying in a nice manner and not ripping into me. Everything that you said in your post I already knew about. I know the indepth reasons why people like or hate each of the 6 films but what I said was what people generally say about each of the films but you went into the deeper details of why and how. I just think that the prequels are judged too harsh. Lucas just wanted to do things differently.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #94
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I love that! I feel like it should be slapped all over the Jedi Council Forums at theforce.net sometimes....

I love Star Wars! All of it!

Old 03-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #95
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfreakforever View Post
Thanks mate for replying in a nice manner and not ripping into me. Everything that you said in your post I already knew about. I know the indepth reasons why people like or hate each of the 6 films but what I said was what people generally say about each of the films but you went into the deeper details of why and how. I just think that the prequels are judged too harsh. Lucas just wanted to do things differently.
No problem and thanks for civilly reading what i read instead of disregarding it because it doesn't fit your point of view.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #96
BenKenobi
Banned User

You know I think the scene where Anakin and Palpatine speak in opera was the best moment in the trilogy. It was one of the few moments of well executed subtle story telling. Instead of someone openly explaining Anakins birth and Palpatines past, he hints to it saying and Lucas uses the setting and the actions of the actors to point to the answer. Not to mention this was the only scene Palpatine left you feeling truly fearful for Anakin. When he tells Skywalker "Unfortunately he taught his apprentice everything he knew and his apprentice killed him in his sleep" he has this huge smirk like a child stealing from the cookie jar. In addition the very method he used to kill he used to kill his master (while he was asleep) shows how that at his core he is a simple coward and foreshadows his future betrayal of Anakin as well.

I'm not a big fan of the prequels but this was easily one of the best scenes in the saga in general.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #97
Bim
Side-Kick

For me, the best moment of the PT i think is the birth of Darth Vader, especially when the lower the helmet and he takes his first breath. Everything was perfect in that scene imo. The images, the music. I like how Hayden kinda blinks as if thinking "Woa, what the hell is coming towards me now" as they lower it. It's just fantastic

Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #98
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
For me, the best moment of the PT i think is the birth of Darth Vader, especially when the lower the helmet and he takes his first breath. Everything was perfect in that scene imo. The images, the music. I like how Hayden kinda blinks as if thinking "Woa, what the hell is coming towards me now" as they lower it. It's just fantastic
I really didn't like how they handled the birth of Vader. I get how it was supposed to symbolize the loss of love leaves one a shell of their former self but it just felt so rushed. Not to mention the "NOOOOO" even when I was 12 and I this was my favorite movie I knew that was bad.

Personally I wish they had kept the originally story Obi-Wan implied with a slow loss of humanity until he became more machine than man, more focused on efficiency than morality and lost to reason.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #99
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
By his own admission Lucas has said he's not an actors' director anymore. So that sounds about right.
Anymore? Was he ever? "Faster, more intense".

DarkKnight88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #100
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

He did direct a couple pretty important movies before 1977. They're called THX 1138 and American Graffiti. But hey, let's keep beating a dead horse and a retired Lucas.