View Poll Results: Re-cast Hal?
Yes 128 58.45%
No 91 41.55%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #251
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Default Re: Re-cast Hal Jordan for JL movie? Yay or Nay?

The public hated GL, it had catasrophic legs, word of mouth and it bombed. It doesn't matter rather Reynolds is to blame or not, he is the face of that film. I think he is 99.9% not going to be ever playing GL again.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #252
shauner111
Side-Kick

Yeah I see that, but re-casting the character he played doesn't fix any problems at all. You'll have to reboot, change to John Stewart or leave him on the bench. Rebooting is going to be a challenge, they'll have to waste a massive amount of time in order to convince fans that it's a separate Green Lantern from the 2011 movie and continuity. And throwing in Stewart instead is not going to convince the fans that the 2011 movie didn't exist in the Nolanverse.

This is why I think benching him or bringing back Reynolds are the options.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #253
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Rebooting is going to be a challenge, they'll have to waste a massive amount of time in order to convince fans that it's a separate Green Lantern from the 2011 movie and continuity.
I don't really think it would be.

All it took for TIH to distance itself from HULK was a recast and a different look/tone.

If you have a new actor as Hal, a different looking Oa, a different looking suit, etc, how is that any different?

I'm talking about 'distancing', not necessarily communicating a 'reboot of continuity', which I don't think people care too much about. How many people who watched TIH (or saw the trailer) knew for sure that HULK didn't come before in this continuity? I don't think they knew/cared. The different direction was enough to get them on board, whether or not the continuity was tied to the previous film.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 03-13-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #254
shauner111
Side-Kick

Having a new Hal with a new suit post-origin, just tells the general audience member (and perhaps fans who don't read the internet for every bit of JL news) that Ryan Reynolds has just been recast. How do you prove it's a reboot? Unless you show a scene with this new actor getting the ring and training in a montage. Like I said a reshoot of the main beats in the origin story.

That's fine. But will they write in a scene like this? If they don't you might as well bring Reynolds back because he didn't do that poorly of a job. He's still a name that is known and will look good standing next to Bale and Cavill. It needs tweaks, that's all.

If Goyers gonna just have the new Hal Jordan as Green Lantern at the start of Justice League and they act like it's a couple of years after he became GL, then it's going to be weird for me. Cuz the movie sucked and it's like they're not going out of their way to erase it. Re-casting is the same as sticking a Band-Aid over a gun wound.

My suggestion is this (for keeping Ryan). Do it like the beginning of Evil Dead 2. A montage of the first film but quicker. It's re-shot with the same lead but everything else is different. That way the 2011 movie never has to be revisited by the fans if they don't want to.

Anyways don't be surprised people, if Green Lantern doesn't even appear in the new Justice League.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #255
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Having a new Hal with a new suit post-origin, just tells the general audience member (and perhaps fans who don't read the internet for every bit of JL news) that Ryan Reynolds has just been recast. How do you prove it's a reboot? Unless you show a scene with this new actor getting the ring and training in a montage. Like I said a reshoot of the main beats in the origin story.
I get what you're saying. But how did TIH prove it was a reboot? Did the GA's remember/realize that the opening montage in TIH contradicted the HULK? (how would they have known this from the trailer?)

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I'm not sure the GA knew or cared if it was in continuity. All they cared was that the movie they saw in the trailer was not like HULK, it had a different cast, new look, new director, etc. I'm not sure continuity even came into the picture for a lot of people.

It's a reboot in style/direction/presentation/what it is, but not necessarily continuity.

Same way, if Batman Begins actually was a prequel, it's still a 'reboot' in direction/style/etc. It's still very much distanced from those other movies even if it technically was a prequel.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 03-13-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #256
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Also, there was less of a need/desire to distance from TIH, because while it didn't do well it didn't do *that* badly. It didn't break even in theaters, but it came fairly close, and probably did more than break even in DVD. It also reviewed fairly well, if not great.

Green Lantern, by contrast, did terribly in terms of sales *and* reviews.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #257
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I'm talking about from the first HULK to TIH, not from TIH to Avengers. For TIH, they distanced themselves from HULK with the recast/new look/new director/and no '#2' in the title, and of course the rebooted continuity (although the discontinuity is not communicated in the trailer)

Avengers is different. They didn't do anything to distance Avengers from TIH, nor did they want/have to.

WB has an Ang Lee Hulk on their hands with GL, not a TIH.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 03-13-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #258
shauner111
Side-Kick

Yes but I seriously doubt Green Lantern is getting another solo movie. It's not really the same. You have like 2 origins or whatever in 2 movies with everything different.

Rebooting Hal to bring him exclusively into a Justice League...that will need some explaining to do. You have a solo GL movie that flopped and was absolutely hated by the fans but Reynolds is still a big name and he doesn't get the hate when people are talking smack about it. Neither does Sinestro. I don't think people would mind as long as it feels like Ryan is playing a different version of Hal Jordan from the movie.

It's like that poll that JETT took asking people if they would like to see Bale come back as a completely different Batman. That doesn't work because you have an entire massive trilogy and a huge star in his Batman. You cant rub that off, but u can with Green Lantern. You can do that idea with Reynolds.

If the fans see a montage of Ryan Reynolds in a new suit, training with the ring, then it's as if they erased that last movie and we have the same actor in a different universe. But if they re-cast Hal without showing jack ****, talking about everything in the past tense or not even talking about it at all....you're basically writing a letter to the fans saying "2011's movie is in continuity with The Dark Knight" and I don't want to see that at all. Nobody does.

If they show this new guy going through the origin, then it's great. If they don't, why bother casting a new guy?? Unless WB signs Bradley friggin Cooper, I guarantee you that Reynolds is the bigger name.

Which leads me all the way back to my point of, just leave this character out of it if ur not willing to sign a brand new deal with Mr. Reynolds.

I'm still for John Stewart but they'll have to make a point of reworking the origin so it comes off like Hal doesn't even exist and John is THE one and only Green Lantern. I doubt fans want to see that.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #259
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Rebooting Hal to bring him exclusively into a Justice League...that will need some explaining to do. You have a solo GL movie that flopped and was absolutely hated by the fans but Reynolds is still a big name and he doesn't get the hate when people are talking smack about it. Neither does Sinestro. I don't think people would mind as long as it feels like Ryan is playing a different version of Hal Jordan from the movie.
I feel like a re-cast does a better job of showing a re-boot then without it.

Why do you think they didn't ask Bana or any of the original cast-members back

Quote:
If the fans see a montage of Ryan Reynolds in a new suit, training with the ring, then it's as if they erased that last movie and we have the same actor in a different universe. But if they re-cast Hal without showing jack ****, talking about everything in the past tense or not even talking about it at all....you're basically writing a letter to the fans saying "2011's movie is in continuity with The Dark Knight" and I don't want to see that at all. Nobody does.
I think showing Ryan Reynolds, even with a new origin, would 'write the letter' just as much as a re-cast/new-style with no origin, especially for casuals who don't remember the specifics of 2011 GL, only that they hated it and it was Ryan Reynolds in the role.

However. I suppose there's always option 3; have an origin snippet of a re-cast Hal getting his ring in a completely different scenario.

Stick that shot in the trailer to make it clear to casuals who saw GL and hated but remembered it, that it's a different GL.

Another option is to have John Stewart. GA's will instantly think it's a reboot. GA's assume that movie franchises stick with the same character. New character for a failed franchise =reboot. The only problem you'll run into is if Stewart is Hal's successor in this reboot. They'll think Hal = 2011's GL.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 03-13-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #260
JPC4
Side-Kick

Aside from really wanting Hal to be a part of a potential Justice League or DCU, I really just want WB's to show some direction once MOS hits theaters. And NOT do damage control and make this crapola up as they go. Pick a road...WF or JL. Use MOS as a launching pad to bring in some of the other main members. And if it gets too confusing, just copy Marvel and do a few one-shots like "The Consultant" to tie up loopholes or continuity errors.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #261
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC4 View Post
Aside from really wanting Hal to be a part of a potential Justice League or DCU, I really just want WB's to show some direction once MOS hits theaters. And NOT do damage control and make this crapola up as they go. Pick a road...WF or JL. Use MOS as a launching pad to bring in some of the other main members. And if it gets too confusing, just copy Marvel and do a few one-shots like "The Consultant" to tie up loopholes or continuity errors.
They can't really plan too far ahead though. If MoS doesn't do well it's back to the drawing board.

To compare, if Iron Man did poorly, if RDJ was terrible, etc, I doubt we would have got Thor and Cap, let alone the Avengers.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #262
shauner111
Side-Kick

I think it's only back to the drawing board if MOS pulls a Green Lantern. Even if it does GOOD but not EXCELLENT they'll still go ahead with it and push for Bale. They'll just need Bale more than ever to help make Cavill look better. And if MOS does awesome then they'll have 2 big stars on their hands headlining. Standing tall next to the other franchises.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #263
JPC4
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
They can't really plan too far ahead though. If MoS doesn't do well it's back to the drawing board.

To compare, if Iron Man did poorly, if RDJ was terrible, etc, I doubt we would have got Thor and Cap, let alone the Avengers.
No, but Iron Man still had the post credit scene with Fury to hint at a bigger Marvel Universe. And that is the chance that I feel WB's needs to make at some point.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #264
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Only fans "hated" the Green Lantern movie, some part of general audience even liked the movie, some were were not impressed, and others forgot about it.

So, I think that general audience would Not mind seeing Ryan Reynolds (or some other actor cast as Hal Jordan.) as Green Lantern.

The argument that presence of Ryan Reynolds will ruin the Justice league movie is weak, as even if you include John Stewart as a Green Lantern, fans would still be reminded of the "other " GL movie, non fans and general audience wouldn't care either way.

*\S/T*
Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #265
JPC4
Side-Kick

This is why I usually stay out of debate/discussions, because now i'm questioning if it's even possible to bring Reynolds back. The reason being is that I have the feeling Snyder is going to aim for the whole "Superman is Earth's first alien" angle, and how the world reacts to him. This is all fine and dandy except Waller deemed Abin Sur as the 1st alien encounter in GL.

My idea would have been to use Angela Basset's Waller like Marvel used Coulson. Meaning she would be the link at the end of a movie or a one-shot dvd that would tie all the continuity errors together. Kinda like Coulson did with the whole Hulk/Abomination snafu in "The Consultant." But it becomes difficult to rationalize how 2 separate alien attacks (Paralax and Zod) can coexist, when both were supposedly the 1st attack. Now I'm getting a headache.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #266
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

General public (in DC Universe) were not aware of Abin Sur's spacecraft crash landing in the Coast City, to them, it never happened, as the remark that this is the first "Alien encounter", could mean anything,

It could mean that this was the first time that Amanda Waller and her department members actually has an Alien tech and body in possession. Waller is the head of ultra secret gov organisation so her activities are not known to general public.

Parallax attack could be described as an attack by unknown organism (like microbes - virus, bacteria) cloud, as parallax never interacted intelligently with humans, it could be viewed as a force of nature.

They can set GL movie as loosely tied with the rest of the JL franchise, just make the events of GL movie happen after the events of TDKR happen (Bruce retiring) and before the first act of MOS. (Clark in Alaska.)

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 03-13-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #267
JPC4
Side-Kick

Dude I hope you're right. I don't want Hal, or Reynolds for that matter, getting vapored out of the DCU. Just worried that Snyder will really put his stamp on MOS, and definitively slam the door on GL.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #268
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
This is why I usually stay out of debate/discussions, because now i'm questioning if it's even possible to bring Reynolds back. The reason being is that I have the feeling Snyder is going to aim for the whole "Superman is Earth's first alien" angle, and how the world reacts to him. This is all fine and dandy except Waller deemed Abin Sur as the 1st alien encounter in GL.

My idea would have been to use Angela Basset's Waller like Marvel used Coulson. Meaning she would be the link at the end of a movie or a one-shot dvd that would tie all the continuity errors together. Kinda like Coulson did with the whole Hulk/Abomination snafu in "The Consultant." But it becomes difficult to rationalize how 2 separate alien attacks (Paralax and Zod) can coexist, when both were supposedly the 1st attack. Now I'm getting a headache.
simple.

Abin Sur came first. It was kept under wraps.

events of MoS

Parallax attacks.

There's many ways they could sort it out.
Perhaps JLA begins with a news segment in the beginning or something which could clarify:
"5 years ago we learned we were not alone in the universe....superman, zod, etc....and not three days afterwards, Coast City was attacked by another alien life form.....3 years ago, the Wonder Woman... etc etc. And now, this. rumous of an Atlantian invasion. etc etc".

(Oh, and reveal that Bruce Wayne is watching this news segment from his modest Florence home with a worried look on his face )

Old 03-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #269
shauner111
Side-Kick

I just watched Green Lantern for the first time since well...a couple years ago or however long its been. And I can say there is no way Snyder and Nolans gang will use this movie in the same universe as MOS & TDK-Trilogy.

Im not counting out Reynolds because you don't know if they'll retcon the whole thing, reshoot a bit of the origin or if the story will be some weird..parallel..multi-verse thing. I doubt that but we just don't know yet.

I will say that I enjoyed Reynolds in the role. Mark Strong was a suitable Sinestro and Blake Lively was decent. Nothing great on her part but she didn't ruin anything. The problem with this movie will always be the same ****. The script is bad, the suit needed to be a little different and the effects were a bit iffy. Everything that had to do with Hector was extremely embarrassing. Awful. That and the 3rd Act were retarded, for lack of a better term. So cheesy and ridiculous. Too bad cuz the first half wasn't bad if they made some adjustments to it & rewrote the entire last half.

It's just sad to revisit this thing because it had so much potential and I think they screwed over Ryan. With what the guy had to work with, he did a solid job, screw the haters.

So if they can find a way to bring him back for JL but in a way where they figure out how to rewrite the origin through different flashbacks. Then im on board for his sake. But there's NO bloody way that this movie exists in the same universe.

Im afraid we'll have to deal with a giant reboot (an altered origin for John Stewart??) or like ive been saying all week...no Green Lantern at all.

Amanda Waller mentioning the first alien contact thing, that's the nail in the coffin. I actually forgot about that til I watched it tonight.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #270
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

I feel like if they just sweep the Reynolds GL under the rug and move forward with John Stewart then the GA will have the same confusion as with the animated series. Most people think it's the same guy but each movie/show keeps changing his race.

I would like to find a way that the Green Lantern movie fits. Yes, it's not the best interpretation, but it's one that we have to fill out the universe and I thought that Reynolds was pretty good.

A couple of ideas on how to include:

- There's the multiverse angle. Essentially GL was the only hero in his dimension and is shot through to the MoS/TDK one. I hate this idea, but I could see someone pitching it.

- What was mentioned earlier about MoS and GL happening at the same time, which also explains why Superman didn't fight Parallax.

- Amanda Waller was on drugs.

- Time travel. (I feel the same way about this as I do the multiverse)

I want it to, but I really just think of a legitimate way to work.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #271
shauner111
Side-Kick

Right, that's another thing with Stewart.

The multi-verse angle might have been what Will Beall was doing, and we don't know if that script is canned or if Goyer will use bits from it. I wouldn't mind seeing the 5 members all exist in different dimensions, having to come together. But I picture it as being too complex.

Amanda Waller was on drugs hahaha. Good one.

It might anger JL fanboys to not have the character, but I don't think the general audience gives a flying **** whether GL is there or not.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #272
brainchild81
Fighting crime...

Quote:
Dude I hope you're right. I don't want Hal, or Reynolds for that matter, getting vapored out of the DCU. Just worried that Snyder will really put his stamp on MOS, and definitively slam the door on GL.
I hope he does. I've had enough of Hal. Most entertaining version of JL the GA ever saw had John Stewart anyway.

See Black Dynamite

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 03-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #273
ЯɘvlveR
doilooklikeiknowwhatajpeg

i personally prefer if hal is the first lantern in the league as well as barry the first flash. you can always introduce the other laterns in another gl movie. not holding my breath but i still think gl has lots of potential.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #274
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChero View Post
I
- There's the multiverse angle. Essentially GL was the only hero in his dimension and is shot through to the MoS/TDK one. I hate this idea, but I could see someone pitching it.
I always thought it would be ridiculous and too complicated, but there is something extra epic (more than simply Earth's heroes coming together), and perhaps unique and differentiated about a team being put together from many universes; each character coming from their own universe (in which they are the only superhero) if the universes merge.

probably will never happen though.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 03-21-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #275
shauner111
Side-Kick

I can see WB doing this...

Bringing Bale and Reynolds back but have them both play different versions of Bruce Wayne/Hal Jordan from their past movies.

Bale plays Bruce the same way but Batman has a different approach, a little more fantasy based and quiet. New suit, etc.

Reynolds plays Hal exactly the same but he also has a new suit. It's written and designed for him to seem more badass and a little more serious when he's in the suit.

Closed Thread