The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 03:37 AM   #701
snyderrocks
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: nj
Posts: 167
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
What boycott?
the boycott was regarding the fact that indris elba was cast to play the Norse god Heimdall if sean bean would have been cast no boycott would have took place .


Last edited by snyderrocks; 03-16-2013 at 11:21 AM.
snyderrocks is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #702
mclay18
Sexed-up archery
 
mclay18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,087
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
No kryptonite in sight this time.
Plus, MOS has over two weeks to itself. It wasn't like SR where it only had a week and two days to rack up the money.

And The Lone Ranger doesn't feel like a sure thing like the POTC franchise is.

__________________
Think McFly Think


"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is online now  
Old 03-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #703
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,499
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
After Batman& Robin, there was an 8 year break.
After BB there was a three year break to create a sequel,Big difference.
MoS is coming out 7 years after a lame superman movie. I'm sure it's box office will be hurt in a way that it wouldn't had Returns not existed. However, my opinion remains that Begins could have been a much bigger money maker than it was had it been more cinematic. Point in case, does anyone in the general audience really think the Scarecrow was as exciting as the joker(especially in the trailers)? Does anyone actually think batman driving away from a few cops while yelling at a sleeping Katie Holmes really measure up to him chasing the Joker chasing Harvey Dent, in a car that explodes into a motorcycle chase scene which ends up with bats on his back in the middle of the streets and joker dancing...

Begins had alot going against it but, alot of that movie's decisions didn't really help it create the fever at the box office other films have.
I'd say the same thing about Cap/Thor/IHulk vs Ironman 1.

Again, I think Snyder has the vision to take Goyers script and deliver on this issue in a big way. When I read Goyers Begins script, I was pretty excited for alot of things.
Batman landing on Falconi's car was pretty dope on paper. I guess I just imagined it being done in world and vision of Blade 1. Instead I got what I consider a very odd scene, to say the least.
Then I look at how Snyder tackles scenes that read well on paper and I have hope. If the direction really delivers, than the Box Office will follow. Just look at Returns.

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #704
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,499
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderrocks View Post
i don't know about you but the will smith film after earth looks wonderful man and world war z has brad pitt this could be another war of the worlds .
Those films could be hits, but then again they have a significant X factors riding against them.

In the case of After Earth, it's M. Night. It's like he's cursed or something. The consistency in his flops is pretty remarkable. And to mess up a sure thing like Air Bender in the very specific way that he did. The Happening was a special kind of failure, it really exposed his vision for the odd, slow, non sense that it could be. I don't know man.
People say the Will Smith factor is a big deal, people forget that Will Smith doesn't have a resume of only hits. If the movie stunk or wasn't all that good, the box office followed suit. AND IF EVER A MOVIE COULD STINK, it's with this director.

I'm also not sure about the nepotism going on with this property. Some people don't like it some people don't care. I wonder if just casting another kid may have been a better decision. But that's just me. I hope the film does well, we need more minority lead projects in the industry.

As for World War Z. Just google most any article about that films troubles and you'll see it has a lot riding against it, much more than War of the Worlds did. It has a big chance of being a bomb. One of those heavily picked on (green lantern) type situations. CGI Zombies is always fickle territory. I think this picture will be the critics Pińata this season. It's just high profile enough to get them salivating.

Both those films have one major thing going for them. A high profile actor in a high concept genre film. If they fall flat(and they both have a good chance of doing so), we'll no doubt get more talk of the June curse around these parts.

Just like with Prometheus.

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #705
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,760
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake86 View Post
Marketing budgets are often tax deductible so I don't know why people figure that money into the cost as if all of it is lost. Hollywood has creative accounting. As for this film, if it can make more than SR they are in good shape.
Not only that, but the marketing budget is largely a paper budget. Most of the "expenditures" are actually in the form of reciprocal agreements. When Disney made a deal with 7-11 to have Avengers slushies and other such promo items? No money likely changed hands; instead, Disney "paid" 7-11 in "rights to use Avengers imagery for marketing" and 7-11 "paid" Disney in "usage of your imagery in our products." Everyone benefits, and *both* parties can put down on their budget the dollar value of the consideration they provided, even though no money actually changed hands.

This is why you should pay far more attention to the production budget, as that involves real dollars spent out of cash reserves and on-hand loans.

metaphysician is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #706
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,760
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderrocks View Post
thor would have done better had it not been for that odd boycott .
. . . your kidding, right?

metaphysician is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #707
A.Stabelli
Man Of Steel
 
A.Stabelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Reading, Pa
Posts: 933
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

You guys have me worried that Man of Steel will flop and that we'll never see Superman on the big screen again.

A.Stabelli is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #708
Tra-El
Side-Kick
 
Tra-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Trying to find out where I hang my cape? YOU WON'T
Posts: 2,588
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Stabelli View Post
You guys have me worried that Man of Steel will flop and that we'll never see Superman on the big screen again.
Not happening. This is the perfect storm for a Superman movie to literally explode off its hinges. The Superhero and fantasy-type genre is at its peak right now and it's kind of scary what SUPERMAN can do in a time where other franchise's and characters are off to a franchise altering boom at the box office. With the current CGI, the current cast, the current standard and the current people overlooking the name of SUPERMAN (a cultural champion by name ALONE and the 'king daddy of all superheros) Man of Steel is going to be a massive hit. When Superman could benefit off of others in the industry, look out. Another thing to specifically look at is that the world hasn't seen a GOOD or DECENT Superman film since 1978-1980. That's 33 years worth. People aren't going to know what to DO when viewing Man of Steel because Supes is finally going to have a GOOD film on the screen in 3+ decades.


Last edited by Tra-El; 03-16-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Tra-El is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #709
Kal-E
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 33
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Hey buddies
I am long time comic book fan. I have a friend in the industry and he has seen footage and he said it going to be epic!!
OW 160-200m
DOM 450-650m
OS 800-1.2B OS
WW 1.2B-1.85B
This film is going to rivalThe Avengers

Kal-E is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #710
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,839
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-E View Post
Hey buddies
I am long time comic book fan. I have a friend in the industry and he has seen footage and he said it going to be epic!!
OW 160-200m
DOM 450-650m
OS 800-1.2B OS
WW 1.2B-1.85B
This film is going to rivalThe Avengers
Sure you do

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #711
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 14,975
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Batman Begins failed to surpass 400 million because WB botched the marketing, not because it wasn't 'cinematic' enough.

DoomsdayApex is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #712
solidsnake86
Side-Kick
 
solidsnake86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,047
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Batman Begins failed to surpass 400 million because WB botched the marketing, not because it wasn't 'cinematic' enough.
How did they exactly botch the marketing when it seemed to me they did more than TDK and TDKR.

In fact they did everything people wanted MOS to do. A superbowl spot, lots of trailers, pictures etc., even a 10 minute preview on tv.

The only thing that was negative to batman was the fact that people forget the utter damage batman and robin did to that franchise and comic book movies in general. Not to mention BB was the 5th film starring batman, not exactly new ground that was being broken.

It seems to me if comic book films are actually good movies, the box office takes care of itself and BB is a testament to it. Making 200 million domestic is no easy task, even thor and cap couldnt break that number.

solidsnake86 is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #713
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,839
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

No I don't agree with botched marketing at all, Begins followed on the back of one of the worst films in cinematic history and reboots weren't as common then. People were obviously turned off from the last films. Batman Begins did really well on DVD and many people only saw it after the Dark Knight but that wasn't due to marketing. There were viral campaigns, several trailers, posters everywhere and a Superbowl spot.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #714
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,183
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake86 View Post
How did they exactly botch the marketing when it seemed to me they did more than TDK and TDKR.

In fact they did everything people wanted MOS to do. A superbowl spot, lots of trailers, pictures etc., even a 10 minute preview on tv.

The only thing that was negative to batman was the fact that people forget the utter damage batman and robin did to that franchise and comic book movies in general. Not to mention BB was the 5th film starring batman, not exactly new ground that was being broken.

It seems to me if comic book films are actually good movies, the box office takes care of itself and BB is a testament to it. Making 200 million domestic is no easy task, even thor and cap couldnt break that number.
I'd agrue Thor & Cap had much stiffer competition in 2011 than BB had in 2005. And even then they didn't come up all that short, especially WW where Cap pretty much equalled BB and Thor did considerably better.

__________________
MCU - $7 billion and counting. Next up: kicking Harry Potter's butt.
kedrell is online now  
Old 03-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #715
Kal-E
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 33
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Sure you do
Everybody in the world knows who supes is bud.

Captain America and Thor are better than Batman Begins. Begins is boring and lame. Two lesser known superhero movies did huge at the box office.

Kal-E is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #716
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,839
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-E View Post
Everybody in the world knows who supes is bud.

Captain America and Thor are better than Batman Begins. Begins is boring and lame. Two lesser known superhero movies did huge at the box office.
Ha ha what? I wasn't even replying to anything to do with that, it was a reply to you saying you know someone in the industry.

In your opinion Begins is lame and boring but that has nothing to do with anything in this thread.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #717
solidsnake86
Side-Kick
 
solidsnake86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,047
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I'd agrue Thor & Cap had much stiffer competition in 2011 than BB had in 2005. And even then they didn't come up all that short, especially WW where Cap pretty much equalled BB and Thor did considerably better.
Domestic used to be where the most profit was made and they were still 20 million short which is a lot of money and those movies had 3d. They did well and its not a dig at them at all. Just saying that BB had a lot going against it that marketing could not really fix no matter what.

solidsnake86 is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #718
Kal-E
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 33
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Ha ha what? I wasn't even replying to anything to do with that, it was a reply to you saying you know someone in the industry.

In your opinion Begins is lame and boring but that has nothing to do with anything in this thread.
I was referring to Kenderal and doomsdayapel about why Batman Begins made 200m. If it was a better film it crossed 200m. Look at the ASM.

I know some in the industry his name is Dean. We go back years, we to high school together. He is a big comic book fan.

Kal-E is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #719
solidsnake86
Side-Kick
 
solidsnake86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,047
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

^BB did cross 200 million domestic....

solidsnake86 is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #720
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 14,975
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Man, if you guys actually believe Begins had a fantastic marketing scheme then I suggest you talk to Jamie. Leading up to the film, WB completely dropped the ball. The only reason Begins garnered over 200 million domestically is because of the strong word of mouth.

__________________
Law is an instrument of commerce and often an obstruction to justice. It is a Court of Law, NOT of Justice.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."


Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ĎBatman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #721
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 14,975
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-E View Post
Everybody in the world knows who supes is bud.

Captain America and Thor are better than Batman Begins. Begins is boring and lame. Two lesser known superhero movies did huge at the box office.
You may find it lame and boring but it's still considered the best superhero origin film amongst a ton of comic fans.

Get back to me when Captain America and Thor have back to back billion dollar installments. That's true star power. Batman and Spiderman are the only superheroes with that much draw at the moment.

__________________
Law is an instrument of commerce and often an obstruction to justice. It is a Court of Law, NOT of Justice.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."


Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ĎBatman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #722
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 738
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra-El View Post
Not happening. This is the perfect storm for a Superman movie to literally explode off its hinges. The Superhero and fantasy-type genre is at its peak right now and it's kind of scary what SUPERMAN can do in a time where other franchise's and characters are off to a franchise altering boom at the box office. With the current CGI, the current cast, the current standard and the current people overlooking the name of SUPERMAN (a cultural champion by name ALONE and the 'king daddy of all superheros) Man of Steel is going to be a massive hit. When Superman could benefit off of others in the industry, look out. Another thing to specifically look at is that the world hasn't seen a GOOD or DECENT Superman film since 1978-1980. That's 33 years worth. People aren't going to know what to DO when viewing Man of Steel because Supes is finally going to have a GOOD film on the screen in 3+ decades.
Agreed. It definitely has potential to be big!

Kryptonian Titan is offline  
Old 03-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #723
snyderrocks
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: nj
Posts: 167
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
MoS is coming out 7 years after a lame superman movie. I'm sure it's box office will be hurt in a way that it wouldn't had Returns not existed. However, my opinion remains that Begins could have been a much bigger money maker than it was had it been more cinematic. Point in case, does anyone in the general audience really think the Scarecrow was as exciting as the joker(especially in the trailers)? Does anyone actually think batman driving away from a few cops while yelling at a sleeping Katie Holmes really measure up to him chasing the Joker chasing Harvey Dent, in a car that explodes into a motorcycle chase scene which ends up with bats on his back in the middle of the streets and joker dancing...

Begins had alot going against it but, alot of that movie's decisions didn't really help it create the fever at the box office other films have.
I'd say the same thing about Cap/Thor/IHulk vs Ironman 1.

Again, I think Snyder has the vision to take Goyers script and deliver on this issue in a big way. When I read Goyers Begins script, I was pretty excited for alot of things.
Batman landing on Falconi's car was pretty dope on paper. I guess I just imagined it being done in world and vision of Blade 1. Instead I got what I consider a very odd scene, to say the least.
Then I look at how Snyder tackles scenes that read well on paper and I have hope. If the direction really delivers, than the Box Office will follow. Just look at Returns.
man of steel has more going for it then batman begins ever did nolan is much a bigger name then he was then , the cast and crew of man of steel are bigger names then the cast and crew of batman begins were prior to the film coming out back in 2005 if nolan and bale were bigger names like the 300 guy zack snyder and and the star of immortals henry cavill are today batman begins would done a whole lot better at the box office.


Last edited by snyderrocks; 03-17-2013 at 01:12 AM.
snyderrocks is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 03:47 AM   #724
snyderrocks
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: nj
Posts: 167
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Those films could be hits, but then again they have a significant X factors riding against them.

In the case of After Earth, it's M. Night. It's like he's cursed or something. The consistency in his flops is pretty remarkable. And to mess up a sure thing like Air Bender in the very specific way that he did. The Happening was a special kind of failure, it really exposed his vision for the odd, slow, non sense that it could be. I don't know man.
People say the Will Smith factor is a big deal, people forget that Will Smith doesn't have a resume of only hits. If the movie stunk or wasn't all that good, the box office followed suit. AND IF EVER A MOVIE COULD STINK, it's with this director.

I'm also not sure about the nepotism going on with this property. Some people don't like it some people don't care. I wonder if just casting another kid may have been a better decision. But that's just me. I hope the film does well, we need more minority lead projects in the industry.

As for World War Z. Just google most any article about that films troubles and you'll see it has a lot riding against it, much more than War of the Worlds did. It has a big chance of being a bomb. One of those heavily picked on (green lantern) type situations. CGI Zombies is always fickle territory. I think this picture will be the critics Pińata this season. It's just high profile enough to get them salivating.

Both those films have one major thing going for them. A high profile actor in a high concept genre film. If they fall flat(and they both have a good chance of doing so), we'll no doubt get more talk of the June curse around these parts.

Just like with Prometheus.
m . night is a misunderstood genius after earth will be critically acclaimed and find box office gold and i don't think the issues will hurt world war z .


Last edited by snyderrocks; 03-17-2013 at 03:52 AM.
snyderrocks is offline  
Old 03-17-2013, 03:55 AM   #725
Liam_H
Side-Kick
 
Liam_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8,505
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Misunderstood genius...okay.

__________________

Spill


Liam_H is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.