The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Old 03-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #76
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Default Re: Soundtrack for TASM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF3619 View Post
yes it does but i take my statement back , it would sound too similar to Raimi´s
I liked the choir during the first half of 'Becoming Spider-Man'. More of that kind of thing in the sequel would be welcome. It is 'Elfmany' but a very different sound due to the new melody.

I like Elfman's 'Costume Montage' from the first movie. A funky, cool sound for the character. Stuff like 'He's Back' is excellent too.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #77
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLPAtitoyUPI View Post
I like the Horner's theme (the main cue of "Promises/End Titles") a lot more than the Elfman's theme.

But what I REALLY love about the soundtrack is that it's like the main cue is the cue of "responsability". It's like Uncle Ben words in music form. Every moment in the film where Peter becomes responsible of his acts (being the first time fighting Lizard in the bridge, realizing that he created the Lizard, the School fight, the whole rush through Manhattan to reach Lizard and save New York and, of course, the ending) has the cue playing in the background. Sometimes subtle, sometimes full volume. It's the theme of Peter becoming Spider-Man fully.

That's why, at the end, it explodes especially through "Saving New York" and "Promises", you're watching the hero for real. To me, that kind of soundtrack direction adds a beautiful layer to the film, something Raimi's films never had.
Strongly disagree. Both composers did a great job capturing the core and essence of the character and his adventures in their own way, imo. And Elfman has done what Horner's done with his own responsibility theme, which is actually his "Peter Parker theme" according to Elfman. In Spidey 1 when Peter opens his suitcase and stares at his costume (or in this case his responsibilities of being Spider-Man) you can hear the theme. Showing the audience that Peter's ready to take on his responsibilities. Same goes for when Peter walks away from M.J. at Norman's funeral after she recognises they've kissed before you can hear the responsibility theme there. Again showing that Peter is sacrificing his relationship with M.J. for his responsibilities as Spider-Man. Also in Spidey 2 when Peter walked away from the helpless guy getting beat up and mugged in an alley. It basically capitalises on Peter walking away from his responsibilities as Spidey. There's many moments in both of Elfman's Spidey's scores where he does that sort of thing.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #78
eLPAtitoyUPI
The real Spoder-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
Strongly disagree. Both composers did a great job capturing the core and essence of the character and his adventures in their own way, imo. And Elfman has done what Horner's done with his own responsibility theme, which is actually his "Peter Parker theme" according to Elfman. In Spidey 1 when Peter opens his suitcase and stares at his costume (or in this case his responsibilities of being Spider-Man) you can hear the theme. Showing the audience that Peter's ready to take on his responsibilities. Same goes for when Peter walks away from M.J. at Norman's funeral after she recognises they've kissed before you can hear the responsibility theme there. Again showing that Peter is sacrificing his relationship with M.J. for his responsibilities as Spider-Man. Also in Spidey 2 when Peter walked away from the helpless guy getting beat up and mugged in an alley. It basically capitalises on Peter walking away from his responsibilities as Spidey. There's many moments in both of Elfman's Spidey's scores where he does that sort of thing.
The problem with Elfman's score is that he uses the main theme for every single track from the score of both of his films, even for some villain themes. One of the thing that I mostly dislike from the Raimi's trilogy is that you're hearing the main theme over and over and over, and I get EXTREMELY tired of hearing the same "taaaaaaan taan taan taan" (the "Peter Parker's theme as you called it) and the "taan tantantan tin ton totitototi" (the main Spidey theme) in every single cue of the film.

It's like telling the spectator "Hey! Here's a scene with Peter Parker! And now with Spider-Man!", which is a 90% of the film.

At least Horner tries to hide the theme, there are very few tracks in the soundtrack where you can fully think "This is Spider-Man's theme" or "This is Peter Parker's theme", but at least they are used in the right moments and create a perfect sync with the film and characters motivations and feelings.

That's why I dislike Elfman as a composer in general (he's good, but doesn't fit with my personal tastes), because he over-uses his main theme in every single movie he scores.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #79
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLPAtitoyUPI View Post
The problem with Elfman's score is that he uses the main theme for every single track from the score of both of his films, even for some villain themes. One of the thing that I mostly dislike from the Raimi's trilogy is that you're hearing the main theme over and over and over, and I get EXTREMELY tired of hearing the same "taaaaaaan taan taan taan" (the "Peter Parker's theme as you called it) and the "taan tantantan tin ton totitototi" (the main Spidey theme) in every single cue of the film.
He didn't use any of the Spider-Man/Peter Parker motifs when Norman was talking to himself. He let his GG theme carry those moments. Same for Doc Ock. Although he did a write a theme for Ock that was a variation of Peter's theme, which makes sense in the context of the film. Since there are parallels with the characters. It's the main Doc Ock theme. It played as Ock woke up after his tentacles killed the surgeons and nurses in the surgery room as well as other moments throughtout the movie. He also wrote an eight note theme for the tentacles, which you can first hear when Ock appears at the bank and reveal his tentacles behind his cape like coat. He used another theme that whenever Ock escapes or is leaving. You can hear it when he escapes the hospital and as he leaves Osborne Mansion. He also wrote themes for M.J., which you can hear in most of the Peter and M.J. moments in both Elfman scores. Aunt May also was given a theme or motif, which you can hear when May comforts Peter after his high school graduation and when they were visiting Ben's grave in Spidey 2. So he didnt rely on the theme that much. I think he used the Peter/Spidey themes when necessary. And in the right moments. But that's just how I feel.

Quote:
It's like telling the spectator "Hey! Here's a scene with Peter Parker! And now with Spider-Man!", which is a 90% of the film.
That's funny b/c quite a bit of people to this day believe Elfman didn't give Spider-Man a theme. Or that the theme wasn't that memorable or iconic. But you're actually one of the few people that actually found the theme repetitive and redundant, which is fine. That's your opinion and I respect that. I never really thought about Elfman relying on the main theme too much. Maybe b/c I like the themes. I don't know.

Quote:
At least Horner tries to hide the theme, there are very few tracks in the soundtrack where you can fully think "This is Spider-Man's theme" or "This is Peter Parker's theme", but at least they are used in the right moments and create a perfect sync with the film and characters motivations and feelings.
I agree with that. I'm probably one of the few up here that enjoyed what both composers came up with for their respective films.

Quote:
That's why I dislike Elfman as a composer in general (he's good, but doesn't fit with my personal tastes), because he over-uses his main theme in every single movie he scores.
That's cool. I know he's not everybody's cup of tea. My problem is when people go around saying "his music sounds the same" and "he isn't versatile" and "has little range". That's what gets on my nerves.

Anyways I look forward to what Horner has in store for TAS-M2. That is if he's returning.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #80
Figs
Side-Kick

Quote:
My problem is when people go around saying "his music sounds the same" and "he isn't versatile" and "has little range". That's what gets on my nerves.
Anyone who goes around saying **** like that, has definitely not seen enough of the movies he's scored. Earlier in his career, a fair amount of his music sounded similar(much like Most composers). Over the years, some of his scores I didn't know were from him until I saw his name in the credits.

Personally, he's become one of my favorites.

Also, it's hard not to like him when he gave us the theme song to the Simpsons as well as one of my favorite TV shows, Tales From the Crypt.

Figs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #81
Gunga Diner
Solvin' cool mysteries

The score for the first movie was one of the best things it had going for it. The only band I can think of as being appropriate for a movie like this would be something off the first Sleigh Bells album. Maybe somebody at Peter's school is playing it, like at a Basketball game. Maybe you can hear it playing somewhere in the city during a fight. Maybe a fight happens on top of a live music venue where Sleigh Bells is playing.

I remember Andrew saying that he listened to their first album whenever he was wearing the suit and needed to get into the zone. Fits the character and the vibe Webb was going for pretty nicely.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

That just sounds like the Ultimate Spider-Man comic to me for whatever reason.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #82
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Elfman's Spider-man theme is a hundred times better than Horner's

Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #83
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Indeed. Which doesn't say much to me, really.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #84
Creator
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
Elfman's Spider-man theme is a hundred times better than Horner's
I feel the exact opposite, I didn't know Elfman's Spider-Man score even had a theme, it just sounds like a bunch of his old stuff slopped together. I couldn't hum it if you put a gun to my head and demanded it.

Superman pretty much feels as I do about Danny Elfman's score, check out the video:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #85
Climperoonie
A God Named Sparkles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator View Post
I feel the exact opposite, I didn't know Elfman's Spider-Man score even had a theme, it just sounds like a bunch of his old stuff slopped together. I couldn't hum it if you put a gun to my head and demanded it.
Agreed, I adore Horner's Amazing Spider-Man theme, particularly how he worked in that simple hum-able motif that was stuck in my head for about three months after the film.

If he isn't scoring TASM2 I'll be deeply disappointed to be honest, because I think film series lose something if they don't have musical continuity.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #86
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator View Post

Superman pretty much feels as I do about Danny Elfman's score, check out the video:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Yeah I remember that video back when it came out. There's a lot of people that share your opinion even director/writer Kevin Smith. But the motif Elfman gave the character is present. He just doesn't bang people in the head with it. Like I said before I enjoyed what both Elfman and Horner composed for their respective films.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #87
Creator
Banned User

Haha...what makes that video funny is, Spider-Man can't even hum his own main theme, but he tries...

Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #88
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Though I'm a big fan Elfman's Spidey scores. I admit that was funny. Then Supes tells him he's "trailing off". LOL

Old 03-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #89
AF3619
WOOO!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

this is pretty much the Entire score of TASM

-[Over the top russian accent] NEVER!, I CRUSH YOU, I KILL YOU, I DESTROY YOU

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
AF3619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #90
Creator
Banned User

I can't wait to hear what Horner does with the sequel, there's plenty of characters and places for him to draw new music.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #91
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

I love Danny Elfman. He is a pro. Horner's score is cool, it has grown on me. However, nothing can come close to that original theme. Same goes for his Batman score too.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #92
Creator
Banned User

Batman score by Danny Elfman is great, no doubt about it. His Spider-Man score, not so much. What I like about Horner's score is that he didn't approach his score like it was a comic book movie. That's why I want him (Horner) to return, if they get someone else, they'll just score it like any other comic book movie.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #93
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
That's funny b/c quite a bit of people to this day believe Elfman didn't give Spider-Man a theme. Or that the theme wasn't that memorable or iconic. But you're actually one of the few people that actually found the theme repetitive and redundant, which is fine. That's your opinion and I respect that. I never really thought about Elfman relying on the main theme too much. Maybe b/c I like the themes. I don't know.
imo Christopher Young in Spider-Man 3 who handled the theme very poorly. He found the cheesiest and dumbest cues like magic

TheWallCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:22 AM   #94
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I think Young was much better for Spidey. Black suit Spidey's theme is my favorite of the trilogy, by far.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #95
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Young was decent. I didn't think his Spidey score blended that well with the Elfman material. Some bits even reminded me of his Hellraiser/horror scores. And some of the action material felt too "cartoon-y" moreso than Elfman's two Spidey scores, imho.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #96
Creator
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
I think Young was much better for Spidey. Black suit Spidey's theme is my favorite of the trilogy, by far.
I hate that Black suit Spidey theme. I thought it should have been more dramatic, but then again, Peter was wearing eye shadow.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #97
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

It fit the movie and I like listening to it on its own. Worked for both my criteria.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:13 AM   #98
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Young was decent. I didn't think his Spidey score blended that well with the Elfman material.
Yeah, the two styles noticeably clashed for me. I actually found it distracting in a couple of parts.

My favorite theme of the Raimi trilogy was the Green Goblin theme.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #99
spider_shadow
Taking down the Rhinos!!

I hope they keep this track.It's one of my favourites of this movie.

It's at 12:41

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

spider_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:31 AM   #100
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Elfman's theme was a perfect 10

Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote