The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #926
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 16,516
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Enough with the troll. How about a few more tips?

Spare the air - The air conditioner and heater drain a fuel tank like nobody's business. Even the radio puts on an extra drain. If you need it, use it. But if you don't, keep it off and roll down the windows instead.

Speaking of the windows - At slower speeds, like city driving, keeping the windows down uses less gas than the air conditioner. Using them will still use more gas then keeping them shut, but if you need the air anyway, go ahead...UNLESS you're on the freeway, or doing more than 40 or 50 mph. At those speeds, it's better to use the air conditioner than the windows.

Get more gas for your dollar...Literally - Next time you’re at the pump, check for a sign that says the fuel is measured by volume, not density. Wonder why? Because as things get colder, their molecules pack together more tightly. So, when you pump gas on a cold morning or night, there are more molecules of gasoline in each liter/gallon than if you pumped in the warm afternoon. (Oh, if you get back in your car to warm up, be sure to touch the skin of the car when you get back out to discharge the static electricity you just built up. A gas pump fire is not a good way to warm up.)
Windows down creates extra drag on a vehicle which does use more gas. Tailgates down does the same. Air needs to flow across a vehicle unimpeded. When the windows are down a vaccum is created pulling air into the window creating drag. In a truck, with the tailgate up, a pocket is created in the bed, and airflow goes over the cab, travels across the pocket, and continues to flow. When the tailgate is down the pocket can't form which causes the air coming across the cab to plummet, and hit the bed creating down force creating drag. So windows and tailgate up if your really really worried about fuel consumption.

__________________
The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #927
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,345
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
How about the gas prices go down so we Americans don't need these tips
Got that figured out?

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #928
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 16,516
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Got that figured out?
I don't understand wall street, but I would like to know why our fuel costs are effected by wall street. Gas prices shouldn't change, but once a month at most. Speaking of which, that should be a law. Last I read, Isreal has a law so fuel prices can only be changed once a month. Another thing I don't understand is why fuel prices were never higher than $2 before Katrina, but ever since they have stayed high. Why?

__________________
The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #929
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,345
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

A good chunk of it is the speculator's market artificially keeping prices elevated as they try to make money on futures rather than actual oil sales.

Then there's the ever present OPEC cartel.

But I don't agree with limiting when gas prices can be changed. Because that limits competition between gas stations.


But, complain all you want about out gas prices, they're still much much cheaper than the Europeans have to pay. I'm honestly starting to think that the only way we'll break our oil addiction is when we finally just run out of the stuff. OPEC's probably only got 20 to 50 years left in their fields at their current growing production levels.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #930
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 16,516
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
A good chunk of it is the speculator's market artificially keeping prices elevated as they try to make money on futures rather than actual oil sales.

Then there's the ever present OPEC cartel.

But I don't agree with limiting when gas prices can be changed. Because that limits competition between gas stations.


But, complain all you want about out gas prices, they're still much much cheaper than the Europeans have to pay. I'm honestly starting to think that the only way we'll break our oil addiction is when we finally just run out of the stuff. OPEC's probably only got 20 to 50 years left in their fields at their current growing production levels.
I'd like to specualte my foot right up their ass. Bunch of crooks.

__________________
The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #931
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,020
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

3.42 a gallon here...

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #932
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,425
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

I didn't need to fill up, but I checked the price day before yesterday....it was 3.23 here...

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #933
Mace Bloodstone
Prospect
 
Mace Bloodstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 6,233
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

How's the keystone pipeline coming along?

Mace Bloodstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #934
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,345
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

You know, a few years ago I heard where, if each driver in the country just got 2 miles per gallon more out of their cars, we'd cut our dependence on foreign oil.

Maybe instead of spending billions to drill and drill and ship some more oil, we should just start driving a little better.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #935
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,020
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

...jumped back up to $3.77 a gallon.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #936
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,020
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

...hovering around $3.65 a gallon.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #937
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,425
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
You know, a few years ago I heard where, if each driver in the country just got 2 miles per gallon more out of their cars, we'd cut our dependence on foreign oil.

Maybe instead of spending billions to drill and drill and ship some more oil, we should just start driving a little better.
I'm not sure how true that is.....most SUV's and trucks today are "at least" 2 miles per gallon better than they were a decade ago....and most cars are more than that....I don't see much of a change.

Plus, oil isn't used JUST FOR CARS....hell most of what is in your house has a petroleum base.

I would like for us however to look at Natural Gas much more....that is for sure.

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #938
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,425
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Filled up today......$3.21...

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #939
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,345
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

hate you

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #940
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,425
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

There are a few good things about living on the Gulf Coast.... : )

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #941
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,020
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

$3.53 a gallon...

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #942
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,020
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

...back up to $3.58 a gallon.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #943
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,425
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Dang really?, I filled up last week it was $2.91....w/o my Kroger discount, it was $3.31

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #944
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,020
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

...jumped up to $3.89 a gallon.

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #945
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Marx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55,020
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Dang really?, I filled up last week it was $2.91....w/o my Kroger discount, it was $3.31
It hasn't been below $3.00 a gallon for quite some time up here...

__________________
It can't rain all the time.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #946
jacobed
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,646
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

we are at 4.19 in Fargo, nd

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #947
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,425
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Dang....I filled up this weekend at $3.21

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #948
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!
 
mikey1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
It hasn't been below $3.00 a gallon for quite some time up here...
it's been years here since it was under $3.00 a gallon. in fact,I can't even remember the last time...

__________________
"I'm a Professional Crime Fighter!"
mikey1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #949
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,425
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

It's going up a little here for the Memorial Day weekend...it will start going back down for the summer...we may see it right at $3.00 or near that...

__________________
'Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God' Maya Angelou
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #950
PemLam
I'll be the judge of that
 
PemLam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,929
Default Re: The Gas Price Rollercoaster Thread

I used to constantly track gas prices but I bought a diesel VW a few months ago and the price of diesel rarely moves more than a couple pennies where I live. Unleaded (87) has gone from $3.50's to $3.89 in the past 3 weeks, though it's settled to $3.72 as of today. Diesel has been at $3.98 for over a month now.

PemLam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.