3 1 1.96%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #301
lespaul59
Side-Kick

Default Re: Oz: The Great and Powerful - Part 1

I give Oz: The Great and Powerful an 8/10. I really liked the 3D scene with the snow right before it turns to color. I loved the way it seemed like it came out of the screen at you like being in real snow. And I thought Michelle Williams looked amazing. I've always thought see was good looking but something about her in this just made me go wow. Rachel Weisz and Mila kunis looked amazing as well. Mila even looked great at the Witch. I agree with a lot of what has already been said. Like I thought the movie moved fast and never really had any real slow points. But I also agree I would have like to have seen more more time for Oscar's and Theodora's relationship as RachelDawes said.

One quest I do have is can Disney do a version of Wizard of OZ of is it compleatly off limits? I read a little about how the rights work but still left me confused.

lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #302
SpitCurl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul59 View Post
I give Oz: The Great and Powerful an 8/10. I really liked the 3D scene with the snow right before it turns to color. I loved the way it seemed like it came out of the screen at you like being in real snow. And I thought Michelle Williams looked amazing. I've always thought see was good looking but something about her in this just made me go wow. Rachel Weisz and Mila kunis looked amazing as well. Mila even looked great at the Witch. I agree with a lot of what has already been said. Like I thought the movie moved fast and never really had any real slow points. But I also agree I would have like to have seen more more time for Oscar's and Theodora's relationship as RachelDawes said.

One quest I do have is can Disney do a version of Wizard of OZ of is it compleatly off limits? I read a little about how the rights work but still left me confused.
Not to critique your critique (every opinion is valid), but, what are some of your thoughts on the overal story? Performances? Characters? I just ask because a lot of what you listed as liking seem to have to do with visuals (again, perfectly valid) and I'm just curious, since I've heard a lot of similar opinions.

Obviously the visuals are important, certainly in a film where you really have to world-build, but in a way, hearing so many people singlng out that aspect seems to validate the idea that Hollywood doesn't have to care about story/character so long as there's something pretty to look at.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:02 AM   #303
GregComicFan
movie and comic buff

Anybody else think that if this turns into a trilogy they should make the 3rd and final film a remake of the Wizard of Oz... with Dorothy, Scarecrow, Lion, etc...

???

GregComicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:46 AM   #304
CGHulk
Green Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregComicFan View Post
Anybody else think that if this turns into a trilogy they should make the 3rd and final film a remake of the Wizard of Oz... with Dorothy, Scarecrow, Lion, etc...

???
Sacrilege!!!

Stone him!!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead

Last edited by CGHulk; 03-17-2013 at 02:50 AM.
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:55 AM   #305
Poeman
Banned User

If Willy Wonka can get a remake then so can Wizard of Oz

Poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #306
FVD
Jolly Loves You

I reckon the WONDERFUL Wizard of Oz should be a 4th film. I reckon there is room for two more backstories.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #307
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHulk View Post
Sacrilege!!!

Stone him!!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I'd rather he be stoned for mentioning trilogy.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #308
childeroland
Side-Kick

The '39 film is really its own thing, and the book is sufficiently different so that Disney could adapt it successfully. And let's face it, if its Oz films continue to be a success, Disney's gonna get to Dorothy at some point.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #309
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poeman View Post
If Willy Wonka can get a remake then so can Wizard of Oz
The Wonka movie was not in the same league as The Wizard of Oz.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #310
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregComicFan View Post

???
That's probably what is going to happen. It makes the most business and financial sense. The reason why it being the third film over forth films makes more business sense is because all of these actors probably signed a three picture agreement contract at a certain price. Adding in another picture to that contract gets more complicated because said actors might want more money. This way, the contracts are fulfilled and new ones are written up in the case that Disney wants to go on to make another trilogy this time centering around Dorothy if the financial gain incentive is still there.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #311
RemixNinja
Side-Kick

There was a lots of difference between book and the movies heres is some of them so Disney could make the wizard of Oz and it would actully turn better than the original

In the book-

Dorothy is an orphan.
Their house is very small- just one room.
There is no cellar, just a trapdoor in the middle of the house floor which led to hole in the ground.
There are no trees or other houses around the farm.
Aunt Em and Uncle Henry had a hard life and never laughed.
THERE ARE NO FARMHANDS- Hunk, Zeke, or Hickory.
THERE IS NO MISS GULTCH.
There is no Professor Marvel.
There is no Toto being misbehaving plot.
The cyclone just comes and Dorothy and Toto are too late to go down the trapdoor.
Dorothy DOES NOT HIT HER HEAD and have a dream- the cyclone REALLY takes the house away and transports Dorothy and Toto to another place.
The Good Witch of the North is NOT Glinda; Glinda is the Witch of the South. The North Witch kisses Dorothy to protect her from all evil.
The Munchkins were not midgets or dwarfs, just smaller than regular adults.
The Wicked Witch of the East had Silver Shoes, not Ruby Slippers.
Dorothy is greeted by three men and the Witch of the North.
I’m pressed for time right now, so to list the biggest differences besides the tale NOT being a dream:

1- The Wicked Witch of the West is just in one chapter and is simply an obstacle to overcome as opposed to the centerpiece of the story.

2- Oz himself has many different illusions.

3- The Tin Woodsman was originally a human.

4- The death of the Wicked Witch of the West is in the middle of the book, and the Scarecrow isn’t even there.

5- Dorothy’s journey is much longer, and the team gets separated at times.

6- Oz wants Dorothy to kill the Wicked Witch of the West as opposed to bringing him her broomstick.

7- The Flying Monkeys weren’t evil; they were under control via a magical Golden Cap. Dorothy actually gets the cap and controls them.

8- Everyone wears emerald glasses in the City of Emeralds so everything looks green (another scheme by Oz).

9- Dorothy and friends fought more monsters and visited different cities, such as a city made entirely of china.

10- The Tin Woodsman used his axe to kill 40 wolves sent by the Wicked Witch of the West.

11- Then the Scarecrow broke the necks of a bunch of crows she sent.

12- Toto isn’t responsible for everything and doesn’t have the super-intelligence he has in the movie (he accidentally moves the screen Oz is hiding behind as opposed to detecting the scheme).

13- Dorothy is like 11 or 12.

If you’d like to read some more differences you can follow these links. They don’t list EVERYTHING, which I will do one day, though.

heres the link:http://baseball.dailyskew.com/2010/0...-and-book.html

RemixNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #312
GreenKToo
In the fire

Saw it today in 3D..pretty good, 8/10. great visuals, good acting.
saw a couple spots where the CG was questionable. just a nickpick really.
Also, didnt like the visual of theodora after her transformation. She really didnt strike fear into me with her look. she was just a, well, a hot, green witch, with very white teeth lol.
Loved the flying baboons..scary fookers they were.

I cant help but think franco, even tho he did a fairly good job, was miscast. I never for once believed he was a younger Oz. Still, it was enjoyable overall.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 03-17-2013 at 07:02 PM.
GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #313
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
The Wonka movie was not in the same league as The Wizard of Oz.
Exactly. It's probably a lot closer to trying to do a remake of gone with the wind.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #314
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

enjoyed the film, did not like Kunis' portrayal of The Witch from the original film (it seemed to me that they dubbed her screams when zooming off with the broom). Braff and King definitely stole the show IMO.
8/10

Old 03-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #315
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

I am gonna watch this later this week...so did anyone catch IM3 trailer in front of Oz?

darkslayer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:43 AM   #316
lespaul59
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitCurl View Post
Not to critique your critique (every opinion is valid), but, what are some of your thoughts on the overal story? Performances? Characters? I just ask because a lot of what you listed as liking seem to have to do with visuals (again, perfectly valid) and I'm just curious, since I've heard a lot of similar opinions.

Obviously the visuals are important, certainly in a film where you really have to world-build, but in a way, hearing so many people singlng out that aspect seems to validate the idea that Hollywood doesn't have to care about story/character so long as there's something pretty to look at.
I thought the over all story was really good but not great. I think the weekest part of the story was the Oscar and Theodora relationship. To me Theodora came off as more of a crazy stalker than someone who had feel in love and had their heart broken I guess you could say. I don't know if this was Mila Kunis's fault or the script. To me apart from Oscar being a womanizer I think the way he acter was to keep people from getting close or maybe to run away from aproblem insted of dealing with it. Not to mention he was selfish, greedy may be a better word to use. But then you have scenes where they show that Oscar is a good person despite his flaws.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Like one of my favorite scenes in the movie is when Oscar uses his glue to fix the China Girl's legs.

But again where do you place the blame. One thing that kept running through my head was shouldn't Oscar be a little older. But I do wonder did this pop up in my head because I knew Robert Downy Jr. was at least offered the role or would I still think this not knowing that going in. I thought Rachel Weisz was great in her role. If it wasn't for Michelle Williams Rachel Weisz would probaly be my favorite performence. Michelle Williams in my opinion stole the show. Since I've only seen the movie once I can't recall any issues I had with Rachelle Weisz or Michelle Williams off the top of my head. I thought Zack Braff was great in both of his roles. I thought the Flying Bell Hop monley looked great but if had no character I would problaly been like his looks great but serves no purpose. Same with the China Girl. I know she didn't do a whole lot but when they needed her for the story I really liked her. The only complain I have about any of the other characters is that Bill Cobbs beard could have looked better.

If anybody ever has a question about what I liked or didn't like about a move , tv show or whatever ask. I tend to kept my thoughts short because I can start to ramble pretty easy. Plus I'm not always the best at putting my thought into words.

lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #317
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkslayer101 View Post
I am gonna watch this later this week...so did anyone catch IM3 trailer in front of Oz?
The trailer played when I saw it.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #318
SpitCurl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul59 View Post
I thought the over all story was really good but not great. I think the weekest part of the story was the Oscar and Theodora relationship. To me Theodora came off as more of a crazy stalker than someone who had feel in love and had their heart broken I guess you could say. I don't know if this was Mila Kunis's fault or the script. To me apart from Oscar being a womanizer I think the way he acter was to keep people from getting close or maybe to run away from aproblem insted of dealing with it. Not to mention he was selfish, greedy may be a better word to use. But then you have scenes where they show that Oscar is a good person despite his flaws.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Like one of my favorite scenes in the movie is when Oscar uses his glue to fix the China Girl's legs.

But again where do you place the blame. One thing that kept running through my head was shouldn't Oscar be a little older. But I do wonder did this pop up in my head because I knew Robert Downy Jr. was at least offered the role or would I still think this not knowing that going in. I thought Rachel Weisz was great in her role. If it wasn't for Michelle Williams Rachel Weisz would probaly be my favorite performence. Michelle Williams in my opinion stole the show. Since I've only seen the movie once I can't recall any issues I had with Rachelle Weisz or Michelle Williams off the top of my head. I thought Zack Braff was great in both of his roles. I thought the Flying Bell Hop monley looked great but if had no character I would problaly been like his looks great but serves no purpose. Same with the China Girl. I know she didn't do a whole lot but when they needed her for the story I really liked her. The only complain I have about any of the other characters is that Bill Cobbs beard could have looked better.

If anybody ever has a question about what I liked or didn't like about a move , tv show or whatever ask. I tend to kept my thoughts short because I can start to ramble pretty easy. Plus I'm not always the best at putting my thought into words.
I think it's 50/50 script vs performance. Theodora's "turn" was paper-thin to begin with. It didn't help that both she and Franco felt horribly miscast. Maybe too young is it, or perhaps neither is that skilled in shedding their "modernity" or whatever you'd call it. There's nothing about either that feels turn-of-the-century, I could easily imagine Sam yelling "cut" and both immedately taking out their phones and sending tweets. Certain people have a timelessness about them, and others just feel painfully of their era.

Mila, especially, really was just a "hot green chick w/white teeth". You need an actor who can disappear into that part. If anything, I think she and Rachel Weisz should've switched roles. Rachel I can buy as the woman scorned, who goes bat-***** insane. Mila felt like Meg playing evil.

Last edited by SpitCurl; 03-18-2013 at 02:17 AM.
SpitCurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #319
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Ya as I've said many times casting Kunis in this role was just a huge mistake especially since she didn't really put much effort into any kind of performance.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #320
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

I gave it a 7. Mainly for the great 3D and the fantastic visuals.

Felt that James Franco was a bit out of his depth. My take is that he really didn't seem old (mature?) enough to be playing the part. The symbolism was very obvious in places and I cringed at the Batman like usage of the "Not the wizard you deserve..." line.
Was rather unimpressed by Danny Elfmans score, it was far too similar to Spider-Man for my ears.
Very much enjoyed, Rachel Weisz and Mila Kunis as the evil sisters.

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #321
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathlok View Post
I gave it a 7. Mainly for the great 3D and the fantastic visuals.

Felt that James Franco was a bit out of his depth. My take is that he really didn't seem old (mature?) enough to be playing the part. The symbolism was very obvious in places and I cringed at the Batman like usage of the "Not the wizard you deserve..." line.
Was rather unimpressed by Danny Elfmans score, it was far too similar to Spider-Man for my ears.
Very much enjoyed, Rachel Weisz and Mila Kunis as the evil sisters.
Agreed. I'm very puzzled by all the praise it's getting. It sounded like standard heroic, fantasy stuff to me.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #322
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Yeah I wasn't wowed by elfmans score as well, but I'm not a huge fan of his stuff in general. To me It didn't sound any different than the twenty other scores he's done in a similar style. He really is the musical counter part to burton, in that he really seems to lack versatility, at least in his old age.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #323
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
Yeah I wasn't wowed by elfmans score as well, but I'm not a huge fan of his stuff in general. To me It didn't sound any different than the twenty other scores he's done in a similar style. He really is the musical counter part to burton, in that he really seems to lack versatility, at least in his old age.
agree, he's definitely comfortable doing what he does similar to Zimmer.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #324
NCBIII
Side-Kick

I'll admit the score is very much in his comfort zone, but I find it fitting for the movie. I find his Oz score catchier and more suited for the film than his Spider-Man scores are for their respective films (though I do like those scores, too).

NCBIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #325
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

That one part of the score during the b/w sequence where the balloon is swirling up inside the tornado's funnel right before it starts falling was very 1930s. You know the part I mean.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote