Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #751
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
How can you not see it being true, when it's shown right there in living color in the Chinese trailer....?
What part of the trailer are you talking about? Maybe we're looking at different ones, but the Chinese trailer on YouTube only had a couple of added scenes from the domestic trailer, and none of them really have anything to do with the spoiler.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #752
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
What part of the trailer are you talking about? Maybe we're looking at different ones, but the Chinese trailer on YouTube only had a couple of added scenes from the domestic trailer, and none of them really have anything to do with the spoiler.
henry_9305 wrote:

Quote:
So Mandarin is live broadcasting his attack on Tony's mansion? Now that's badass!

and Darkslayer101 wrote:

Quote:
i cannot see that spoiler being true considering how badass and impactful he is...

But the Chinese trailer shows Mandarin on the telly in Tony's mansion, and a live shot of "Stark Issues Threat" from the "news choppers" above Malibu, so Mandy clearly *is* live broadcasting his attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimmings View Post
If Maya is indeed in cahoots with Killian, I'd say the Manderin isn't just his lackey. Killian probably doesn't want his lackeys blowing each other up
Mandarin isn't Killian's "lackey." "Lackey" implies a henchman dutifully serving his boss. Instead, Killian is *manipulating* Mandarin. Mandarin still thinks *he's* in charge, but Killian is just using him to advance AIM's purposes.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #753
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Aaaand that's my cue to stop coming to this forum until release day!

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #754
ctsketch
Side-Kick

darkslayer was agreeing with henry cherokee

Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #755
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
henry_9305 wrote:

and Darkslayer101 wrote:

But the Chinese trailer shows Mandarin on the telly in Tony's mansion, and a live shot of "Stark Issues Threat" from the "news choppers" above Malibu, so Mandy clearly *is* live broadcasting his attack.

Mandarin isn't Killian's "lackey." "Lackey" implies a henchman dutifully serving his boss. Instead, Killian is *manipulating* Mandarin. Mandarin still thinks *he's* in charge, but Killian is just using him to advance AIM's purposes.
How does that prove Killian is manipulating Mandarin? Maybe we're talking two different spoilers here.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #756
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
How does that prove Killian is manipulating Mandarin? Maybe we're talking two different spoilers here.
Yeah, I think we are. The gist of that exchange was a little confusing --- I thought darkslayer101 was saying that Mandarin wasn't live-broadcasting the attack on Malibu.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #757
Surfer
Sentinel of the Spaceways

Quote:
Yeah, I think we are. The gist of that exchange was a little confusing --- I thought darkslayer101 was saying that Mandarin wasn't live-broadcasting the attack on Malibu.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
It's funny though, because the Mandarin says "You will never see me coming" and yet by Broadcasting it on the news it seems to be what actually tips off Tony to the attack and essentially allowing Tony to "See the Mandarin coming". He's like wait that attack is here, everyone down. lol

I agree though with Crimson King (while it's possible Killian is the main bad guy in Iron Man 3), I still don't see this as proof that he is the main villian instead of Mandarin. Still hoping these rumors are not true, although I wouldn't mind if Killian thought he was playing Mandarin like a pawn in his chess game but Mandarin is aware all along what Killian is doing and planning, and Mandarin just goes along with it because it also suits his own goals, but when the time is right towards the end of the movie, Mandarin changes the parameters of there arrangement and shows that he has his own agenda and that he is no ones puppet. That is what I would like to see.

Surfer

Wolvieboy17..... "It's slow and relelentless, like being beaten to death with a sponge."
Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #758
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
henry_9305 wrote:

and Darkslayer101 wrote:

hope that's not true. Not gunna lie, I think that sounds absolutely retarded

Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #759
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Terrible new IMAX poster!

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 03-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #760
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Ugly poster.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #761
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

Take away the upper right section of that poster and it'll look a little bit better.

Last edited by Kane52630; 03-19-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #762
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Crap!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #763
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Mandarin looks like a total pimp. And that is not hyperbole, he looks like he would be whoring out booty on the Strip.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #764
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

So they just put all of the posters together. Eh.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #765
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Thats just laziness right there

Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #766
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishAvenger View Post
Terrible new IMAX poster!

I'd be willing to bet this is an internet fake. Even if it turns out to be real, it's lazy-ass 'Shopping of all the previous posters. Lame-ville.

Regarding all the controversy about the spoiler du jour:

Mandarin was never going to be the *real* Big Bad in this story anyway. We knew that from the start. Hell, this movie went into production with The Ghost as the main villain (whatever happened to...?), and Feige and Black adamantly denying that Mandarin would ever be part of it, because he's a racially offensive character.

Something changed along the way, but the way they saw fit to bring Mandarin into the story was by actually playing on the racial stereotype and making Mandarin too blind (or too dumb) to realize he's just creating a pastiche of pop-culture bad guys. Take one part Fidel Castro, one part Osama bin Laden, one part Che Guevara, one part Sun Tzu, mix 'em all up in a blender and you've got Mandarin.

I understand why Mandarin fans (are there really such creatures....? I've never really heard of them before) are incensed about their beloved Fu Manchu stereotype getting nerfed and sweded to ultimately become an object of the audience's ridicule and scorn, but I *don't* understand why some of you are upset that Killian has been completely rewritten as the brains behind the outfit. Again, this is setting AIM up to be a force to be reckoned with in future films. AIM makes sense as a recurring enemy group for the Avengers --- as a team and as solo components --- to face. It *doesn't* make sense to make a run-of-the-mill bunch of Middle Eastern terrorists to become the go-to "Nazis" of the MCU. That's passe, and doesn't fit into a cinematic world that is increasingly being populated by supers both good and evil.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #767
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

It's official... sadly.

https://twitter.com/Iron_Man/status/314057983258681345

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 03-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #768
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet this is an internet fake. Even if it turns out to be real, it's lazy-ass 'Shopping of all the previous posters. Lame-ville.

Regarding all the controversy about the spoiler du jour:

Mandarin was never going to be the *real* Big Bad in this story anyway. We knew that from the start. Hell, this movie went into production with The Ghost as the main villain (whatever happened to...?), and Feige and Black adamantly denying that Mandarin would ever be part of it, because he's a racially offensive character.

Something changed along the way, but the way they saw fit to bring Mandarin into the story was by actually playing on the racial stereotype and making Mandarin too blind (or too dumb) to realize he's just creating a pastiche of pop-culture bad guys. Take one part Fidel Castro, one part Osama bin Laden, one part Che Guevara, one part Sun Tzu, mix 'em all up in a blender and you've got Mandarin.

I understand why Mandarin fans (are there really such creatures....? I've never really heard of them before) are incensed about their beloved Fu Manchu stereotype getting nerfed and sweded to ultimately become an object of the audience's ridicule and scorn, but I *don't* understand why some of you are upset that Killian has been completely rewritten as the brains behind the outfit. Again, this is setting AIM up to be a force to be reckoned with in future films. AIM makes sense as a recurring enemy group for the Avengers --- as a team and as solo components --- to face. It *doesn't* make sense to make a run-of-the-mill bunch of Middle Eastern terrorists to become the go-to "Nazis" of the MCU. That's passe, and doesn't fit into a cinematic world that is increasingly being populated by supers both good and evil.
Here's my problem with it:
First of all, we still don't *know* that Killian is the big bad. It's still just a rumor.

Anyway, Feige and Black's comments about Mandarin don't do anything but justify his change in image. He went from the racist Fu Manchu to a more believable modern day villain. It's wrong to assume that making him the lead villain means recycling Middle Eastern terrorist cliches. First of all, we don't know where he's supposed to be from. He could be from Mongolia for all we know. Second, having your non-Western villain outsmarted by whitey and his tech gadgets has already been done in IM1. Do they really need to repeat that scenario? I hope they don't. It's lazy.

My biggest problem with the whole rumored bait and switch is that it absolutely destroys Iron Man's greatest nemesis. I don't care if he's a badass for MOST of the movie. This is his introduction, much like CA:TFA was Red Skull's and Thor was Loki's. If he's outsmarted, manipulated, or otherwise controlled by a villain like Killian, it kills any future threat level. He's no longer nemesis status and goes straight down to B-level hood. THAT'S my main worry. People would scream bloody murder if Joker or Lex or Loki got used in such a way their first time out. Mandarin is Iron Man's most well-known villain. Treat him that way.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #769
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

the IMAX poster is incredibly lazy...

but i don't think it's really "that bad", the individual posters are better, but if i had say a display of Marvel Movie posters and could only put 1 from each movie on my wall... I might legitimately choose this for the mere fact i loved all the individual posters and probably couldn't decide otherwise. So i display them all in one.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 03-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #770
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Here's my problem with it:
First of all, we still don't *know* that Killian is the big bad. It's still just a rumor.

Anyway, Feige and Black's comments about Mandarin don't do anything but justify his change in image. He went from the racist Fu Manchu to a more believable modern day villain. It's wrong to assume that making him the lead villain means recycling Middle Eastern terrorist cliches. First of all, we don't know where he's supposed to be from. He could be from Mongolia for all we know. Second, having your non-Western villain outsmarted by whitey and his tech gadgets has already been done in IM1. Do they really need to repeat that scenario? I hope they don't. It's lazy.

My biggest problem with the whole rumored bait and switch is that it absolutely destroys Iron Man's greatest nemesis. I don't care if he's a badass for MOST of the movie. This is his introduction, much like CA:TFA was Red Skull's and Thor was Loki's. If he's outsmarted, manipulated, or otherwise controlled by a villain like Killian, it kills any future threat level. He's no longer nemesis status and goes straight down to B-level hood. THAT'S my main worry. People would scream bloody murder if Joker or Lex or Loki got used in such a way their first time out. Mandarin is Iron Man's most well-known villain. Treat him that way.
i gotta agree with this. That and there's Mandarin evidence all over the past two films... that's alot of waiting for no follow through.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 03-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #771
craigdbfan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

What a dreadful poster. Oh well at least the other ones were pretty darn beautiful.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 03-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #772
ctsketch
Side-Kick

laziest poster ever

Old 03-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #773
gkokujin
Side-Kick

you know when you were a kid and you got a stickerbook, and put ALL the stickers on ONE page and thought it was the greatest thing in the world?

this is that.

yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #774
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Definitely agree and came here to say -- that was all they could do? They just combined all the posters. Even though the first two posters were photoshopped, those at least look visually appealing. Hell, I hung the first one up in my dorm room. Here everything looks just thrown onto it. Mandarin basically seems like an after-thought.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Old 03-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #775
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

That is one of the worst posters I've ever seen. It's even worse than those Rises posters, and that's saying something.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Closed Thread